News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

What about a new Newfoundland/Labrador/Quebec highway connection?

Started by Richard3, July 23, 2017, 02:54:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard3

For any human being, the more connections we have between us, the better we feel.

So since Newfoundland and Labrador government is looking for a fixed connection between the island and mainland since many years (https://www.gov.nl.ca/publicat/fixedlink/), and surely wants to connect to mainland road network, why don't we establish a brand new highway connection between Quebec and Newfoundland & Labrador?

I mean, connecting Newfoundland and Labrador with a fixed link would be expensive, and not so much necessary, but connecting this link to Quebec's mainland highway network - otherwise than through Trans-Labrador Highway - would be more interesting for everyone.  Everything we need is:

1- A fixed link between Newfoundland and Labrador that will connect to NL-510 around QC/NL border.
2- A QC-138 connection between Kegaska and Vieux-Fort.
3- A bridge over Saguenay river.

Since this new link will connect two provinces together, we may ask for federal funding.

What do you think about that?
- How many people are working in here?
- About 20%.

- What Quebec highways and Montreal Canadiens have in common?
- Rebuilding.

States/provinces/territories I didn't went in: AB, AK, AL, BC, HI, KS, LA, MB, MN, MS, MT, ND, NL, NT, NU, RI, SD, SK, WA, WI, YT.  Well, I still have some job to do!

vdeane

Considering that finishing QC 138 is currently being talked about officially again, maybe it's time to ask MTQ if they can ask for federal funding?  Might make it more likely to be built in reality.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

okc1

Is it just a matter of money, or would First Nations approval also be needed?
Steve Reynolds
Midwest City OK
Native of Southern Erie Co, NY

Richard3

Quebec premier Couillard talked about construction works on two sections in 2019.  Looks like electoral promises, but let's give a chance to the runner...

https://sherbrooktimes.com/route-138-on-the-basse-cote-nord-two-new-sections-will-be-constructed-in-2019-promises-couillard/1043
- About 20%.

- Rebuilding.

States/provinces/territories I didn't went in: AB, AK, AL, BC, HI, KS, LA, MB, MN, MS, MT, ND, NL, NT, NU, RI, SD, SK, WA, WI, YT.  Well, I still have some job to do!

Richard3

Here's a press release issued on June 1st, 2018, translated from French by your humble servant.  Please, excuse my bad English.

Bridge Over Saguenay River - The Project Office Officially At Work

Baie-Comeau, June 1st 2018 - The setting up of a project office for the building of a bridge over Saguenay River between Baie-Ste-Catherine and Tadoussac becomes reality.

The deputy minister of Transportation, Mrs. Véronyque Tremblay, accompanied by her colleage, the Treasure Council president and minister responsible for the Côte-Nord region, Mr. Pierre Arcand, make the premier's commitment, announced on his last visit in the area last August, happen in Baie-Comeau.

The project now figures in the 2018-2028 Quebec Infrastructure Plan as "under study".

In front of many elected and community speakers, the ministers announced that the project office is mandated to:

• consult citizens, groups and organisations;
  • update informations and related studies already realized;
  • complete a socio-economical analysis;
  • develop an opportunity file according to the Directive sur la gestion des projets majeurs d'infrastructure publique (Directive on the management of major public infrastructure projects).
The project office team will count 5 to 10 persons as of the mandate goes on. The project manager will be supported in particular by a responsible for governance, engineers in structure, road conception, safety, and traffic, and by a biologist.

The Ministry will meet citizens, elected, and traders, along year 2018, in order to hear their preoccupations and expectations.

Quotes

"We are listening to the community speakers, and that's why the project office for a bridge over Saguenay River will allow the update of the studies realized close to 10 years ago.  Those updates will provide settings for elaboration of the opportunity file who will identify the final solution for people and goods mobility in the area.  The project office will work colsely together with an advisory liaison committee, a specific request form the speakers of the territory. A particular attention will be paid to the economic and social impact of such a project on the region."

- Véronyque Tremblay, deputy minister of Transports.

"Last week, I travelled the Côte-Nord territory, from Sept-ÃŽles to Blanc-Sablon. The number one challenge, that everybody told me about, is access: Transport is a vital element for regional development.  Connecting Côte-Nord communities is a priority for our government.  The premier has committed to that when he came here, last August.  In the last budget, 232 millions dollars were reserved to extend route 138 between Kegaska and La Romaine, as well as between Tête-à-la-Baleine and La Tabatière.  Today, we do another significant move with the announcement of a project office for the building of a bridge between Baie-Ste-Catherine and Tadoussac."

- Pierre Arcand, minister responsible of Government administration and Permanent programs review, Treasure Council president, and minister responsible for the Côte-Nord region.

During, and after the construction of such a project, the bridge itself may become a touristic attraction.
- About 20%.

- Rebuilding.

Richard3

Quote from: okc1 on July 23, 2017, 06:42:09 PM
Is it just a matter of money, or would First Nations approval also be needed?

According to Pierre Arcand, everybody on the territory were asking for access, including first nations.

On the other hand, the MTQ and the first nations were involved in a joint venture called "Corporation Pakatan Meskanau de la Grande Séduction*", in order to let the first nations of the area being involved in the construction - including the training of some first nation people to construction working - of a road to connect Lower North Shore communities, but the 47 million$ budget was gone after only 12 kilometers (about 7,5 miles) of single-carriageway gravel road were built.  The MTQ had to go in court to try to recover the plans, and found easier to restart all from the beginning.  So I figure out the project of extending QC-138 will go on with or without the permission of the first nations.

* "La Grande Séduction" (in English, "Seducing Doctor Lewis") refers to a Quebec movie issued in 2003, that was filmed in the isolated village of Harrington Harbor, located in the area.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seducing_Doctor_Lewis
- About 20%.

- Rebuilding.

Richard3

I resurrect this topic to show an article I translated from La Presse newspaper website.  Please pardon my potential mistakes.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Published Nov. 27, 2018 at 6:01 pm | Updated at 6:24 pm
Lower North Shore : Some Hope For Hwy. 138 Extension

MYLÈNE CRÊTE
The Canadian Press
Ottawa

There's some hope for the Lower North Shore delegation after its visit in Ottawa.

The Infrastructure minister, François-Philippe Champagne, didn't close the door to a federal financing of Hwy. 138 extension, this Tuesday.

«Listen, we'll take a look at it with lots of interest, he said.  We talk with Quebec for now.»

Fifteen municipal elected and First Nations chiefs did the long run from their region to Ottawa this Monday, invited by Bloc quebecois MP Marilène Gill, to meet minister Champagne, Transportation minister Marc Garneau, and some Prime minister Justin Trudeau employees.

They didn't get a firm commitment, but they felt they listened to them.

«It's the first time I felt there was a real attention, said Sept-Ïles mayor Réjean Porlier. The feeling we had together was "Well, it looks like they realised".»

These municipal elected and First Nations chiefs are waiting for the extension of the highway between Kegaska and Blanc-Sablon since more than 50 years.  This 360-kilometer section would dramatically improve Lower North Shore people's daily living, actually relying on supply ships and air transport to fulfill their needs.

Mr. Champagne plans to visit Lower North Shore within the next months. It seems he told the delegation he would make the trip by car.

Mr. Porlier said in a press conference that «many ministers» should «take a ride in North Shore by car» to understand that the road ends, and the waiting for the Tadoussac ferry may be long.

Minister Garneau said much less than his colleague when The Canadian Press asks him if Ottawa was open to finance Hwy. 138 extension.

«I received all their comments, and we'll consider them, he said. I can't say more than that.»

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

The original article (in French) is here ---> https://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/regional/201811/27/01-5205824-basse-cote-nord-de-lespoir-pour-le-prolongement-de-la-138.php
- About 20%.

- Rebuilding.

Beltway

Newfoundland to Canada Mainland Tunnel Gains New Govt. Attention
Excerpt:

A long-gestating proposal to link Newfoundland and Canada's mainland with a billion-dollar-plus,16-kilometer rail tunnel to Labrador now is in the running to be the country's next showcase infrastructure project after winning the support of its narrowly re-elected Liberal party.

Led by Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, the party gave the proposed crossing between the two Atlantic maritime provinces, estimated to cost $1.3 billion, a prominent place in its electoral platform.

First proposed nearly 50 years ago, tunnel supporters are pushing provincial leaders in Newfoundland and Labrador, as well as federal officials, to issue a request for proposals for the project.

See the URL for the rest of the article.
https://www.enr.com/articles/48265-newfoundland-to-canada-mainland-tunnel-gains-new-govt-attention
. . . . . . . . .

A few observations:

$1.3 billion for an 11-mile sea strait 2-track railroad tunnel?  How about at least 5 times that figure.

Where does the Quebec railroad system currently end?  I cursory look at aerial views, I don't see any railroad lines within 200 miles of the narrowest place within Quebec or Newfoundland.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

deathtopumpkins

Rail is a weird choice, and I assume is only because it would be easier and cheaper to construct than a road tunnel (theoretically narrower, much lower ventilation requirements if it's electric). There is a rail network up there (centered around the QNSL from Sept-ÃŽles north into Labrador) but it is isolated from the rest of the North American rail network, and Newfoundland's (narrow gauge) rail network was abandoned in the 1980s.

I wonder if the goal would be a Le Shuttle-type operation, shuttling road vehicles through the tunnel on roll-on/roll-off trains? That seems more feasible than constructing a rail link from Quebec to Labrador, especially given the lack of a rail network to connect to in Newfoundland.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

vdeane

I suspect that's what the plan is, given the length of the tunnel.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Richard3

Here's the web page of the 2004 fixed link pre-feasability study. They talk about a rail tunnel as the least expensive tunnel link.

https://www.gov.nl.ca/publicat/fixedlink/
- About 20%.

- Rebuilding.

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on December 05, 2019, 11:01:49 AM
Rail is a weird choice, and I assume is only because it would be easier and cheaper to construct than a road tunnel (theoretically narrower, much lower ventilation requirements if it's electric). There is a rail network up there (centered around the QNSL from Sept-ÃŽles north into Labrador) but it is isolated from the rest of the North American rail network, and Newfoundland's (narrow gauge) rail network was abandoned in the 1980s.

There's also a little rail network at Baie-Comeau who desserve a paper mill as well as an aluminium plant to the port of the city linking with a ferry down to Matane on the other side of the St.Lawrence river. https://sopor.ca/en/

And I saw this French article from last August who talk of some studies of a rail link between Baie-Comeau and Dolbeau-Mistassini
https://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle/1278883/chemin-fer-qc-rail-baie-comeau-dolbeau-mistassini
It's only to desserve Baie-Comeau, I didn't any further plans to extend it to Port-Cartier and Sept-îles.

webfil

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on December 08, 2019, 09:00:30 AM
Quote from: deathtopumpkins on December 05, 2019, 11:01:49 AM

There's also a little rail network at Baie-Comeau who desserve a paper mill as well as an aluminium plant to the port of the city linking with a ferry down to Matane on the other side of the St.Lawrence river.

SOPOR has had a transshipment centre too for a couple of years now, judiciously located at the intersection of route 138 and future location of route 389, halfway between Hauterive and Baie-Comeau. COGEMA's ferry, owned by the CN, also serves Pointe-Noire (Sept-ÃŽles harbor) once a week, connecting to the North American railway network... the Labrador.

wdcrft63

Is there any construction yet on extending route 138 past Kegaska?

Richard3

Quote from: wdcrft63 on July 18, 2020, 04:09:00 PM
Is there any construction yet on extending route 138 past Kegaska?

As seen on the MTQ website,...

- On Kegaska - La Romaine section, that will be about a bit less than 50 km long, 4 km are already built, and 8 km are already done, out of less than 40 km to be built, on the Tête-à-la-Baleine - La Tabatière section.  On both sections, some drilling is to be finished this summer, in order to complete the ground characterization study.

- On La Romaine - Tête-à-la-Baleine, and La Tabatière - Vieux-Fort sections, call for tenders went on this summer to update the opportunity study that was done about 20 years ago.  More studies will be needed, for ground characterization, hydrographic inventory, and analysis of environmental aspects.

So, don't rush to organise a road meet on that one!  You still have a couple of decades ahead.
- About 20%.

- Rebuilding.

froggie

Any online maps with route alternatives they're considering?

Richard3

Quote from: froggie on August 11, 2020, 11:09:50 AM
Any online maps with route alternatives they're considering?

In this area, there's no route at all, so the only alternatives are the ferry and the plane.

I just don't think I'll live long enough to see this route completed.
- About 20%.

- Rebuilding.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.