News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Erroneous road signs

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 04:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakeroot

Is that regulatory sign common in MI? The one about completing turns after traffic clears?

MNHighwayMan

Do people really just sit in the middle of the intersection if the light turns red? I mean, I can believe that someone would be that dumb, but... enough people dumb enough to require a sign?

JoePCool14

Quote from: jakeroot on October 03, 2019, 03:11:17 AM
Is that regulatory sign common in MI? The one about completing turns after traffic clears?

I've been around MI a lot, and can't say I've ever seen that top sign. This should be used instead:

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on October 03, 2019, 09:01:27 AM
Do people really just sit in the middle of the intersection if the light turns red? I mean, I can believe that someone would be that dumb, but... enough people dumb enough to require a sign?

Sometimes, yes, it takes people a while to figure out that the light actually changed. Better yet, there's always the people who sit at the line while the light's green when they should be pulling forward looking for an opportunity to turn, or at the very least claiming a spot for them (and sometimes someone behind) to turn once the light does change.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

Eth

Seen on my travels a couple weeks ago: this sign on westbound OK 32 near Lebanon informs the driver that it's 12 miles to OK 775. But there is no such route; that should read SH-77S – the letter S, not the digit 5.

jakeroot

Quote from: JoePCool14 on October 03, 2019, 03:14:08 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on October 03, 2019, 03:11:17 AM

I've been around MI a lot, and can't say I've ever seen that top sign. This should be used instead:

[clipped]

I'm guessing that sign may have been used at one point, but they swapped it out? Either way, pretty cool sign, and might be helpful in areas where drivers don't always pull forward (and hang out behind the line).

Quote from: JoePCool14 on October 03, 2019, 03:14:08 PM
Quote from: MNHighwayMan on October 03, 2019, 09:01:27 AM

Sometimes, yes, it takes people a while to figure out that the light actually changed. Better yet, there's always the people who sit at the line while the light's green when they should be pulling forward looking for an opportunity to turn, or at the very least claiming a spot for them (and sometimes someone behind) to turn once the light does change.

Michigan could benefit from some more left-side post-mounted signals. Sometimes when you pull forward, you can't see the signal. You're obviously watching oncoming traffic, so the overhead light is mostly out of your peripheral vision. This isn't a problem in MN but would be an issue in other states like MI.

kendancy66

Can anyone explain why a divided highway sign would be placed in this location on the shoulder on I-405 South?

https://goo.gl/maps/AsiqjnXjsfijC7Co9

Occidental Tourist

Quote from: kendancy66 on October 05, 2019, 11:25:19 PM
Can anyone explain why a divided highway sign would be placed in this location on the shoulder on I-405 South?

Because the people who work for District 12 are bad at their jobs.

Big John

And what are they enforcing by radar?

JoePCool14

Quote from: jakeroot on October 05, 2019, 02:25:05 AM
Michigan could benefit from some more left-side post-mounted signals. Sometimes when you pull forward, you can't see the signal. You're obviously watching oncoming traffic, so the overhead light is mostly out of your peripheral vision. This isn't a problem in MN but would be an issue in other states like MI.

I would very much agree. In cases where the signal is not visible if you pull up, I can understand people staying back. However, where I'm at in Illinois (the land of slapping up 6 or more signal heads for each direction), people don't have that excuse.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

jakeroot

Quote from: JoePCool14 on October 06, 2019, 01:32:47 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on October 05, 2019, 02:25:05 AM

I would very much agree. In cases where the signal is not visible if you pull up, I can understand people staying back. However, where I'm at in Illinois (the land of slapping up 6 or more signal heads for each direction), people don't have that excuse.

Totally. And in BC, it's a not a problem either. Very similar standards to Illinois, minus the near-side stop-line signal that is common in most of Illinois. No matter how far you pull forward, there's always a signal on the left. BC puts theirs at the same level as the pedestrian head, so it's even more visible:

TheGrassGuy

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on October 02, 2019, 09:31:14 AM
Clearly, it's just warning oncoming traffic that U-turns are prohibited from the other direction. :)
For real, or sarcasm?
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: TheGrassGuy on December 01, 2019, 04:44:56 PM
Quote from: MNHighwayMan on October 02, 2019, 09:31:14 AM
Clearly, it's just warning oncoming traffic that U-turns are prohibited from the other direction. :)
For real, or sarcasm?

Perhaps take a hint from the smiley.

MarkF

That sign went up when it was a construction area, and was left there after it completed.  Made no sense to have it there then or now.  My guess is a speed limit sign is supposed to be there.  You wonder how this stuff happens, maybe they see it as a joke?

Roadsguy

Quote from: MarkF on December 02, 2019, 02:04:38 AM

That sign went up when it was a construction area, and was left there after it completed.  Made no sense to have it there then or now.  My guess is a speed limit sign is supposed to be there.  You wonder how this stuff happens, maybe they see it as a joke?

Idk, most states enforce their divided highways by radar. /s
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

kphoger

Quote from: Roadsguy on December 02, 2019, 10:56:00 PM

Quote from: MarkF on December 02, 2019, 02:04:38 AM

Idk, most states enforce their divided highways by radar. /s

White rectangles = Regulatory signs.

Therefore I can only assume that people are not allowed to drive on the left side of the freeway there, and such is enforced by radar detection.  It's the only answer that makes sense.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

JMoses24

Quote from: TravelingBethelite on November 29, 2016, 09:40:56 AM
Saw this one in August on I-35 in Oklahoma, and I'm pretty sure :nod: this is a goof:

Exit 174, I-35 South, Oklahoma

Still there in 2019.

Roadsguy

Eastbound US 30 in Lancaster, PA has a concurrency with itself if this sign is to be believed.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

thenetwork

Quote from: Roadsguy on December 12, 2019, 12:54:42 PM
Eastbound US 30 in Lancaster, PA has a concurrency with itself if this sign is to be believed.

Actually, in some states, that is a common signing practice.  Michigan, for example:

https://goo.gl/maps/w4udFm1JKDMR8sJz6

TheGrassGuy

Quote from: JMoses24 on December 10, 2019, 02:12:41 PM
Saw this one in August on I-35 in Oklahoma, and I'm pretty sure :nod: this is a goof:

Still there in 2019.
There used to be a LOT of signs like that on the GSP down in NJ. Thank goodness they renumbered the exits a few years ago.

hotdogPi

Quote from: TheGrassGuy on December 13, 2019, 04:57:46 PM

Still there in 2019.
There used to be a LOT of signs like that on the GSP down in NJ. Thank goodness they renumbered the exits a few years ago.

Renumbering the exits wouldn't get rid of MA 51 (or ME 51) in Oklahoma any more than just replacing the signs would.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

TheGrassGuy

Quote from: 1 on December 13, 2019, 05:07:25 PM
Quote from: TheGrassGuy on December 13, 2019, 04:57:46 PM

Oh, I thought that you were referring to the tab in the middle, cause tabs are supposed to be on the right, you know? But maybe that used to be a circle? OK used to use a circle for its state routes. There is a similarly faded sign on NJ-181.
Still there in 2019.

Renumbering the exits wouldn't get rid of MA 51 (or ME 51) in Oklahoma any more than just replacing the signs would.

hotdogPi

Not an actual sign, but...

Newport Beach must have fewer NIMBYs than I thought if they want to make CA 1 an Interstate.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

TheGrassGuy

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

SectorZ

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.