News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Your Favorite Forum Quotes

Started by CoreySamson, July 05, 2021, 09:01:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J N Winkler

Quote from: Shedingtonian on February 19, 2024, 05:30:51 PMPart of me is very happy to hear this. But the other part is kinda sad that it might never hear his bogus ideas ever again.

If you want your Poiponen13 fix, I think he is still active (under that handle) on other Web forums, where he has been testing the regulars' patience just as much as here.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

dlsterner

Quote from: J N Winkler on February 19, 2024, 05:40:56 PM
Quote from: Shedingtonian on February 19, 2024, 05:30:51 PMPart of me is very happy to hear this. But the other part is kinda sad that it might never hear his bogus ideas ever again.

If you want your Poiponen13 fix, I think he is still active (under that handle) on other Web forums, where he has been testing the regulars' patience just as much as here.

I'm sure he is.  I once found him by chance on "stackoverflow.com".  I guess you could look for forums about calendars, Easter, and the like.  Or just Google his handle.

I'm wondering if he will try to make a sock-puppet to come back.  I can see him being in the "denial" phase.

kphoger

1.  Now I have no reason to keep making up a bogus and obtusely-derived calendar system.  Without the opportunity to annoy him by doing so, what's even the point?

2.  I'm not so sure he's active elsewhere.  At least, I don't think he has been in several months.  Their patience was already tried.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

1995hoo

Quote from: kphoger on February 20, 2024, 10:09:54 AM
1.  Now I have no reason to keep making up a bogus and obtusely-derived calendar system.  Without the opportunity to annoy him by doing so, what's even the point?

2.  I'm not so sure he's active elsewhere.  At least, I don't think he has been in several months.  Their patience was already tried.

I recall he had been active on a soccer forum, got banned, but got reinstated. I'm not motivated enough to look up what forum it was, but I'm sure if you search this forum you could find it.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kphoger

Quote from: 1995hoo on February 20, 2024, 10:16:10 AM

I recall he had been active on a soccer forum, got banned, but got reinstated. I'm not motivated enough to look up what forum it was, but I'm sure if you search this forum you could find it.

He ticked off the webmaster at thefootballarchives.com, then joined nonleaguematters.co.uk and ticked people off over there, and then most recently joined footballforums.net in September.  However, he hasn't had any activity there since October 10—just five days after I warned him on this very forum not to make everyone over there mad at him too.

ETA — Never mind.  I see he's found the city-data.com forum.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

GaryV

I did a search on Poiponen13 and found a post on one soccer forum saying he was sad for being banned on another soccer forum. And if he registered again with a different email address, would he be banned again?

Max Rockatansky

Maybe P13 can go hang out with Calrog on whatever is left of MTR.

kphoger

Quote from: kphoger on February 20, 2024, 10:50:38 AM
He ticked off the webmaster at thefootballarchives.com

Quote from: GaryV on February 20, 2024, 11:12:44 AM
I did a search on Poiponen13 and found a post on one soccer forum saying he was sad for being banned on another soccer forum. And if he registered again with a different email address, would he be banned again?

Exactly.  That was Andy Sutton, admin of thefootballarchives.com.  Andy mentioned on nonleaguematters.co.uk, "I'm so glad I banned Poiponen13 from my site before he could post anything", to which Poiponen13 replied with the post you found.  Andy later said, "he was banned on my site for data scraping, then he joined this forum to complain about it".

Seriously, you should read through that thread.  It's got some gold nuggets, such as these:

"Either way what is the point of their account being allowed to remain active, next to no sensible comments about anything at all."

"You never give a reason for any of your suggestions."

"Who on earth let the troll back on the site?" (posted by Andy)
Male pronouns, please.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: kphoger on February 21, 2024, 06:54:27 PM
Quote from: 3467 on February 21, 2024, 06:50:57 PM
Look for extra wife shoulders.

Are those the shoulders on an extra wife?  Or are they extra shoulders on the wife I already have?
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

vdeane

Quote from: bandit957 on February 12, 2024, 04:05:33 PM
Quote from: fhmiii on February 12, 2024, 03:59:55 PM
I'm trying to figure out what the utility of this route would be

It would serve the purpose of being cool.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Scott5114

It's not like we have a bogus and obtusely-derived country that it could be paired with or anything... ;)
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

freebrickproductions

ETA — Never mind.  I see he's found the city-data.com forum.

I wonder how long they'll last there?
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 22, 2024, 12:06:15 AM

It's not like we have a bogus and obtusely-derived country that it could be paired with or anything... ;)

You may have noticed that its thread is locked...
Male pronouns, please.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kphoger on February 22, 2024, 10:37:31 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on February 22, 2024, 12:06:15 AM

You may have noticed that its thread is locked...

I feel that if it were to be ever unlocked some bogus and obtusely-derived Gulags (perhaps of the Arctic Island variety) perhaps should be annexed into the lore...  I think this is needed.

kphoger

Quote from: kphoger on February 20, 2024, 11:41:17 AM

Exactly.  That was Andy Sutton, admin of thefootballarchives.com.  Andy mentioned on nonleaguematters.co.uk, "I'm so glad I banned Poiponen13 from my site before he could post anything", to which Poiponen13 replied with the post you found.  Andy later said, "he was banned on my site for data scraping, then he joined this forum to complain about it".

Seriously, you should read through that thread.  It's got some gold nuggets, such as these:

"Either way what is the point of their account being allowed to remain active, next to no sensible comments about anything at all."

Update!

Yesterday, a forum admin over at nonleaguematters.co.uk opened up a new topic called . . . wait for it . . . The Poiponen13 Thread.  It's a fun read so far.

Here is the OP:

This is a thread where our friend from Finland can air his ideas and views
You do not have to read it, if you don't want to.
Any attacks on Poiponen will be considered as against forum rules.

You are allowed to comment on the views and ideas expressed. Please try to reason your arguments, maybe more than given to the idea.
Male pronouns, please.

Max Rockatansky

What is up with all these forums not wanting just ban the guy early on and calling it a day? 

1995hoo

Quote from: kphoger on February 22, 2024, 02:51:18 PM
Quote from: kphoger on February 20, 2024, 11:41:17 AM

Update!

Yesterday, a forum admin over at nonleaguematters.co.uk opened up a new topic called . . . wait for it . . . The Poiponen13 Thread.  It's a fun read so far.

Here is the OP:

This is a thread where our friend from Finland can air his ideas and views
You do not have to read it, if you don't want to.
Any attacks on Poiponen will be considered as against forum rules.

You are allowed to comment on the views and ideas expressed. Please try to reason your arguments, maybe more than given to the idea.

Heh. This sounds mighty familiar!

Quote from: sixfour
Other than some possible OCD on your part, why is this a problem? None of these games are televised, so there is zero reason to spread them about rather than play the games at the time that is best for all parties involved. You suggest a bunch of stuff but never give any sort of rational reasoning, ever
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

hotdogPi

In the FritzOwl thread, about Key Large:

Quote from: FritzOwl on February 22, 2024, 08:36:21 PM
That should have said Key Largb
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

Scott5114

Quote from: kphoger on February 22, 2024, 02:51:18 PM
Yesterday, a forum admin over at nonleaguematters.co.uk opened up a new topic called . . . wait for it . . . The Poiponen13 Thread.   

If only there was a way we could donate his thread here to them.

Hey, now you've got somewhere you can post your obtuse calendar system (well, there's also Quindaropedia, which I recommend in lieu of the Alanland thread being open).

formulanone

Quote from: 1 on February 22, 2024, 08:51:10 PM
In the FritzOwl thread, about Key Large:

Quote from: FritzOwl on February 22, 2024, 08:36:21 PM
That should have said Key Largb
Large B is one of my favorite rapper-pollinators

Scott5114

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 22, 2024, 02:56:20 PM
What is up with all these forums not wanting just ban the guy early on and calling it a day? 

Most mod teams want to act in a consistent and predictable way. Making case by case judgement calls is a recipe for inconsistency and getting accused that you're playing favorites or discriminating against certain kinds of users. To avoid that, it helps having a list of rules you can point to so you can say "Well, we're banning you because you broke such and such rule, and you should have known you weren't supposed to do that, because it was in the list of rules that you had full access to." This works in 95% of cases.

The problem is that people like Poiponen tend to act in ways that are annoying and unwanted, but defy easy summation in a rule. We don't want to ban fictional highway proposals, because damn near every member of the community has had one of those. And we don't want to ban the off-topic proposals wholesale either, since that's something that could come up organically. The result is that you kind of end up with just a rule that says "don't be annoying", which...doesn't work because then people will end up being annoying in your inbox trying to argue whether they were annoying or not.

So you're kind of reduced to trying to manage their annoyingness while hoping they trip over some other rule that you can get them on.

Max Rockatansky

FWIW comparing this platform to others I manage like Facebook road groups is far from one for one.  I'm generally quick to ban on those groups when someone acts like P13.  But stuff like that is also expected on platforms such as Facebook.  The groups I'm involved with are far more me just managing things (Old Highway 101 is the largest I admin on Facebook) rather than there being a formal committee or complex set of rules.  I also occasionally use preemptive bans on known problem people in the road community or at least don't approve their join requests. 

The GN page gets a couple bans and post deleted a month when people say things really outlandish.  My thought is that it is often better to get rid of crazy people rather than let them fester and cause arguments which might hurt the page. 

I tend to be one who doesn't believe in a large set of strictly defined rules with not a lot of room for discretionary decisions.  Given I'm aware of some of the recent problems regarding a certain former user.  To that end I get to extent why "here" there is extra caution, especially lately.  All the same, why the soccer forum we are discussing doesn't tell P13 to pound sand is beyond me.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 22, 2024, 09:48:30 PM
I tend to be one who doesn't believe in a large set of strictly defined rules with not a lot of room for discretionary decisions.  Given I'm aware of some of the recent problems regarding a certain former user.  To that end I get to extent why "here" there is extra caution, especially lately.  All the same, why the soccer forum we are discussing doesn't tell P13 to pound sand is beyond me.

Probably a similar situation to what Scott was describing above. No specific rule exists that P13 can be banned with (yet), so for now they just tolerate P13 and hope they trip-over one of the other rules.

I will admit, I'm personally a fan of general "catch-all"/"spirit of" rules, as long as they're clearly stated as such. For example, Derpibooru has Rule #n: "The Rules are not exhaustive" plainly stating that if it's clear to a member of the staff that you're being a dick/troll, but weaseling around the other stated rules to avoid punishment, they can still punish you as they see fit. I want to say that usually I've only seen Rule #n used for deleting comments/forum posts/submissions rather than banning people, though I suspect that one person, whom I dislike for other reasons, got a temp ban once for violating Rule #n due to unsuccessfully botting the 3,000,000th image on that site and then going to complain on Derpibooru that the 3,000,000th image "get" was "stolen" from them afterwards.

(They/Them)

J N Winkler

Quote from: kphoger on February 22, 2024, 02:51:18 PMUpdate!

It looks like they are trying the containment thread approach.  I wish them the very best of luck.  Mmmm!  Freak sardine salad.

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 22, 2024, 02:56:20 PMWhat is up with all these forums not wanting just ban the guy early on and calling it a day?

On this forum he was civil and, for the most part, he accepted direction from forum staff, even if he did so under protest.  As far as I have been able to tell, that has been his approach to Web forums in general, not just ours.  It then becomes natural for a mod or admin to think he should be given a chance to acculturate to forum norms, as has happened for some of our regulars who, early in their respective times on this forum, attracted attention for all the wrong reasons.

I suspect he would still be a member of this forum if he had acted more like FritzOwl--i.e., simply shared his ideas without seeking engagement from other forum members.

Quote from: freebrickproductions on February 22, 2024, 01:57:30 AM
Quote from: kphoger on February 20, 2024, 10:50:38 AMETA — Never mind.  I see he's found the city-data.com forum.

I wonder how long they'll last there?

Hard to say.  The City-Data.com forum is much larger than ours and is a commercial operation.  I also suspect it attracts more floating and casual use than we do because it functions as a port of call for people looking to relocate; that would seem to make it harder for him not to get lost in the crowd.  I would not expect problems to start unless and until he attracts attention.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

LilianaUwU

My experience as a Reddit mod has shown me that people are assholes.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.