News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Autobahn A98 in Baden-Württemberg, Germany

Started by Tito_zz, January 27, 2019, 05:32:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tito_zz

So, in Southern Germany, there is this one Autobahn, the A98. Slight problem: It's very incomplete. It's originally meant to go from Weil a.R. to Singen, but it actually goes from Weil a.R. to Lörrach, then it converts to the A861, goes till Rheinfelden, turns into Switzerland. To actually continue in Germany you have to take the exit to Rheinfelden-Ost, get off the Autobahn, take the B316, follow some zig-zag, come onto the B34, and passing Bad Säckingen, the A98 finally continues- but wait. It's not really an Autobahn. It's a one-carriageway, Schnellstrasse-qualified road, which strangely is called an Autobahn. However, after like 10km, you need to get off, because it ends. Again the B34, some more driving-along-the-Rhine, and then you come to Waldshut. There, again, we have this one-carriageway Schnellstrasse classified as the A98, but it's even Shorter, and we have to get off passing Lauchringen. There, we have 2 Options: First, we take the B34 passing Schaffhausen, Switzerland, or we take the B314 which quite literally avoids Switzerland. Whatever we do, we end up on the A81, another Autobahn. And then, passing Singen, there is a motorway-grade-interchange, and if we take a right, ta-da, we are on the A98. There, again, we have this one-carriageway... Just kidding. It's an actual Autobahn. This is a bit longer, but eventually, we arrive at Stockach-Ost, and the A98 transforms into the B31n, which is basically an Autobahn, but not classified like that for some reason. It connects to the B31, And hurray! We have passed Lake Constance. Now we can enter Austria.

So, this ''Autobahn'' is Pretty important. On the B34 there's a lot of congestion (trust me) even if it's just a rural road. Those mostly-trucks prefer Germany over Switzerland, because in Switzerland you need to pay for a Little sticker called Vignette, which Costs 40 CHF, and not everyone wants to pay that. And because there is no Autobahn, boom, congestion. What do you think About this? Comment and argue below. Also check Wikipedia's wiki article. Bye!  :D btw this is my first time on this Forum. 
Just a roadgeek making road signs!
I know road signs of:
D,CH,FL,A,F,USA,RA
Wanna know road signs of:
I,RUS,DK

Ja zur A98! http://www.rhnet.de/a98/image/JA-zur-A98-V4-gross.gif

hotdogPi

Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

JREwing78

It looks like fairly hilly terrain there, much like that of the OH 823 bypass of Portsmouth, OH. The construction costs are likely a big reason it hasn't yet been built out.

mgk920

Welcome abroad!

:cheers:

BTW, this corridor also passes the Friedrichshafen area, home of Zeppelin A.G., something that makes me seriously wonder why the A98 wasn't completed through there back in the pre-WWII era, due to the importance of that industry.

What, if any, plans exist for further development of that corridor?

Mike

Chris

Quote from: Tito_zz on January 27, 2019, 05:32:48 AM
So, in Southern Germany, there is this one Autobahn, the A98. Slight problem: It's very incomplete. It's originally meant to go from Weil a.R. to Singen, 

It was actually planned to span almost all of Southern Germany as the 'Voralpenautobahn' (pre-Alps Autobahn), from A5 at Weil am Rhein to A8 near Irschenberg (southeast of Munich). There are some remnants of the originally planned route, like A980 at Kempten and a partially built interchange at A95 south of Munich.

There are still plans to eventually build most of the western portion between Rheinfelden and Waldshut, partially / initially with only one carriageway. The progress is extremely slow, construction started in March 2009 (!) on a 2.5 km section between A861 and Rheinfelden/Minseln. It is still not completed.

english si

Quote from: Chris on January 28, 2019, 10:19:44 AMThere are still plans to eventually build most of the western portion between Rheinfelden and Waldshut, partially / initially with only one carriageway. The progress is extremely slow, construction started in March 2009 (!) on a 2.5 km section between A861 and Rheinfelden/Minseln. It is still not completed.
That's par for the course for Germany, no?

OK, 10 years is a bit much, it's more typically something like 8 years.

DAL764

Quote from: english si on January 30, 2019, 04:19:53 AM
Quote from: Chris on January 28, 2019, 10:19:44 AMThere are still plans to eventually build most of the western portion between Rheinfelden and Waldshut, partially / initially with only one carriageway. The progress is extremely slow, construction started in March 2009 (!) on a 2.5 km section between A861 and Rheinfelden/Minseln. It is still not completed.
That's par for the course for Germany, no?

OK, 10 years is a bit much, it's more typically something like 8 years.
Nah, the construction as such usually is still pretty okay, it is all the planning, guaranteed lawsuits against the project by at least 1 nature conservation society (mostly BUND or NABU) over some super-ultra-rare animal that coincidently gets found in the planned corridor even though no one has ever heard or seen it there before, and a massive heap of sheer incompetence in the governments delaying everything to hell (see also the A20 extension in Schleswig-Holstein).

Oh, and especially in this case, because Swabians hate Autobahns (see their history of killing all A8Xs except for the A81, which still wasn't fully built to originally planned length).

Edit: For visual reference, here's a map visualising all existing, planned and cancelled Autobahns in Germany:
http://www.autobahnatlas-online.de/PlanungBauKarteOhneAS.pdf

Quick color info: Red/Purple are exising Autobahns; orange are 4-lanned Bundesstrassen, some of them built as expressways with exits; yellow are planned Autobahns with no official construction plans; grey are cancelled

Tito_zz

Well, I didn't know that other Autobahns were like this. Swabians hating Autobahns is another reason for independence :-D .
Just a roadgeek making road signs!
I know road signs of:
D,CH,FL,A,F,USA,RA
Wanna know road signs of:
I,RUS,DK

Ja zur A98! http://www.rhnet.de/a98/image/JA-zur-A98-V4-gross.gif

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.