News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Sign Lettering too small to be legible

Started by 2Co5_14, March 11, 2015, 12:50:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2Co5_14

I'm looking for examples of sign lettering that is too small to be legible when traveling at a reassonable rate of speed.

Here is one at Chastain Rd & I-75 in Kennesaw, GA.  The destination signs are clearly not the GDOT standard (all caps), and the lettering is miniscule when compared with the interstate signs.

https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=34.033106,-84.578649&spn=0.000006,0.004128&t=h&z=19&layer=c&cbll=34.033113,-84.578775&panoid=heiVAJHuw6oHHqCiowAOwQ&cbp=12,105.51,,0,2.46

hotdogPi

Massachusetts has information about the sign itself (like sign dimensions, however, no road-related information) on BGSes.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

jeffandnicole

98% of homemade yard sale signs.  Extra points for when the light breeze exceeds 2 mph and the sign bends.

PurdueBill

I immediately thought of LEVEL 1 TRAUMA CENTER in tiny all-caps Clearview that was appended to this overhead I see nearly every day.  Much too small for the purpose.  Why not at least narrower series FHWA so the letters are taller?  It is simply impossible to read well at speed.  Free-flowing traffic along here goes 65 to 70, never mind the speed limit of 55.  (The Hard Rock Rocksino billboard, pictured in October street view, has not changed as of today.) 

Quote from: 1 on March 11, 2015, 12:57:23 PM
Massachusetts has information about the sign itself (like sign dimensions, however, no road-related information) on BGSes.

NH has the same type of thing on many signs. LGS type signs have it, usually in smallish type, but the 80s ones always seemed to have that small text rather large for the purpose.  Mass paddle signs always used to carry this info visibly as well, usually on the back although a double-sided one would wind up having it on one face.  Newer ones lack it usually.  (Some paddle signs new enough to be metal, but not new enough to use shields show that the tiny sign info is regular adhesive lettering, not screened lettering like the rest of the sign.)

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 11, 2015, 02:28:09 PM
98% of homemade yard sale signs.  Extra points for when the light breeze exceeds 2 mph and the sign bends.

I had a few people question me when preparing signage for a bike race involving one or two letters per 8.5x11 sheet to assemble onto a yard sign type panel to spell BIKE RACE, who didn't realize just how small a single sheet of paper is when seen from a vehicle.  (If you are interested, the letters were in proper FHWA font.)

jakeroot

roadman

Yes.  However, these notations have no relevance to, and are not intended to be read by, the average driver.  This information, which consists of the sign dimensions, date of fabrication, and codes for fabricator, installer (if different), and sheeting types, is provided in the lower left front corner on overhead BGS panels, and the lower left rear corner on ground-mounted BGS and LGS panels, in 1 1/2 inch lettering.   The posting of this information is principally intended to assist accident recovery contractors in replacing sign panels.

However, MassDOT is currently implementing a sign inventory and asset management system that should eventually render the need for having these "codes" on individual sign panels obsolete.

"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

SignGeek101

Quote from: jakeroot on March 11, 2015, 05:24:51 PM
The BCMOT is pretty bad about this:

You would think after all the signs they have put up that look like this, they would realize that the size is too small and say "hey, we should really make those letters bigger so people can actually read them!"

I guess no one from the public has complained yet.

cjk374

Louisiana's new directional signs and unincorporated community signs are in clearview and super small so the new signs can be smaller and use less metal.  Unfortunately, I can't find a current current image of one.  I'll try to get one soon.  Or if anyone has one, let's show the world how sucky these new signs are.

Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

formulanone

There's a couple of these tiny plaques along US 27 between South Bay and Clewiston, Florida:

The road has a 65 mph limit throughout most of that distance.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: SignGeek101 on March 11, 2015, 05:43:50 PM

You would think after all the signs they have put up that look like this, they would realize that the size is too small and say "hey, we should really make those letters bigger so people can actually read them!"

The hardest thing sometimes is to figure out who to complain to.  Generally if you can find someone from one of the news stations that decide to take up the story and has better access within the transportation department, you can get some results.  Otherwise there always seems to be a lot of passing the buck...if you can even get past the first person or you call the correct office to begin with.  At least here, a lot of people think it's a county road when it's really a state road, etc, so that delays or prohibits resolving the issue as well.

cl94

When Erie County (NY) replaced signals along Maple Road a few years ago, the street name blades on the poles were as long as the pole's diameter if not shorter. These signs were replaced with much larger versions within a couple of months and the old poles containing the old (and larger) name blades remained up until the new signs came. I wish I had an image.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

roadman

NH has the same type of thing on many signs. LGS type signs have it, usually in smallish type, but the 80s ones always seemed to have that small text rather large for the purpose.  Mass paddle signs always used to carry this info visibly as well, usually on the back although a double-sided one would wind up having it on one face.  Newer ones lack it usually.  (Some paddle signs new enough to be metal, but not new enough to use shields show that the tiny sign info is regular adhesive lettering, not screened lettering like the rest of the sign.)

NH signs only have the dimensions and the fabrication date.  Per current specifications, MA D6/D8 LGS (paddle) signs are supposed to have the codes, so I'm not sure why the newer ones you observed omit this information.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

PHLBOS

Quote from: roadman on March 11, 2015, 06:20:48 PM
Mass paddle signs always used to carry this info visibly as well, usually on the back although a double-sided one would wind up having it on one face.  Newer ones lack it usually.  (Some paddle signs new enough to be metal, but not new enough to use shields show that the tiny sign info is regular adhesive lettering, not screened lettering like the rest of the sign.)

NH signs only have the dimensions and the fabrication date.  Per current specifications, MA D6/D8 LGS (paddle) signs are supposed to have the codes, so I'm not sure why the newer ones you observed omit this information.
Time sure flies; that particular LGS isn't so new anymore (though it looks in great shape conditionwise).  It's likely from the late 80s (note the shieldless (US) 1 and old-school NH-MAINE listings).  Portions of the coded info. on the bottom likely faded or peeled off over time. 

IIRC, newer D6/D8 LGS' typically have the coded info. stencil/painted on the back (exposed steel) side of the panel(s).  That's probably why PurdueBill didn't notice them.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Brian556

Quote from jeffandnicole:
Quote98% of homemade yard sale signs.  Extra points for when the light breeze exceeds 2 mph and the sign bends.

I've actually seen one made with a toothpaste tube box.

PurdueBill

Quote from: PHLBOS on March 11, 2015, 06:32:29 PM
Quote from: roadman on March 11, 2015, 06:20:48 PM
Mass paddle signs always used to carry this info visibly as well, usually on the back although a double-sided one would wind up having it on one face.  Newer ones lack it usually.  (Some paddle signs new enough to be metal, but not new enough to use shields show that the tiny sign info is regular adhesive lettering, not screened lettering like the rest of the sign.)

Time sure flies; that particular LGS isn't so new anymore (though it looks in great shape conditionwise).  It's likely from the late 80s (note the shieldless (US) 1 and old-school NH-MAINE listings).  Portions of the coded info. on the bottom likely faded or peeled off over time. 

IIRC, newer D6/D8 LGS' typically have the coded info. stencil/painted on the back (exposed steel) side of the panel(s).  That's probably why PurdueBill didn't notice them.

The older ones were way easier to see the info because it was in white on the dark green back of the wooden sign.  The newer ones in metal are less interesting in general anyway.  ;)

Growing up with paddle signs everywhere, I got used to seeing the date/size info.  The top of Steve's US 3 page has a good view of the date/size info on a paddle sign from some time ago, with no codes otherwise. 

roadman

Quote from: PHLBOS on March 11, 2015, 06:32:29 PM

Correct PHLBOS, for D6 signs, the code info is usually black lettering on the exposed aluminum panel.  Of course, if the D6 is "printed both sides", the information will be in white on the green panel.  The side the information on PBS panels shows up on is usually based on which side the project plans and/or the fabricator considers the "B" side of the panel.

kphoger

Quote from: PurdueBill on March 11, 2015, 04:24:26 PM
I had a few people question me when preparing signage for a bike race involving one or two letters per 8.5x11 sheet to assemble onto a yard sign type panel to spell BIKE RACE, who didn't realize just how small a single sheet of paper is when seen from a vehicle.

That's good information for a hitchhiker to know. Also how to write legibly and with good enough contrast to be easily read by someone driving by. Back in my hitchhiking days, about five to ten years ago, I made my signs out of white cardboard or posterboard, used missed case, wrote each letter with a double marker stroke, and drew a border around the perimeter. When appropriate, I also drew some type of picture. When hitching rides to college after dark, I would even hold a bike light so as to light up the sign. Excellent results.

(My best results were with a sign that had a big hitchhiking thumb made from red cardboard and "{57} Getting married" written in black on white in large letters. The sign probably measured three feet long when unfolded.)
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

oscar

No photos, but I found the distance signs on non-Interstates in Alabama and Georgia infuriatingly hard to read, when I was down there last month. The signs and type size were too small to begin with, and the condensed fonts only made things worse. At night, the signs were too small to read while they were in range of my headlights, and when I got closer they didn't catch any light from my headlights.

Angling the signs a little, so they weren't at right angles to the road, might've helped a little.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

jakeroot

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 11, 2015, 06:04:14 PM
Quote from: SignGeek101 on March 11, 2015, 05:43:50 PM

The hardest thing sometimes is to figure out who to complain to.  Generally if you can find someone from one of the news stations that decide to take up the story and has better access within the transportation department, you can get some results.  Otherwise there always seems to be a lot of passing the buck...if you can even get past the first person or you call the correct office to begin with.  At least here, a lot of people think it's a county road when it's really a state road, etc, so that delays or prohibits resolving the issue as well.

At least where I live, WSDOT is constantly in the news. Since it's now hip to hate WSDOT, most people will automatically assume it's their fault. Of course, this isn't true of every state.

As for BC, lots of Lower Mainlanders don't seem to be in-tune with the centre-right government, so they'll probably show up at Parliament demanding answers.

KEK Inc.

Well people aren't happy the state is going to toll I-90 and SR-99.  Especially given the train-wreck of the Alaskan Wy Viaduct and how the 520 bridge has shoddy construction like the new Bay Bridge did.
Take the road less traveled.

PHLBOS

Quote from: roadman on March 11, 2015, 08:37:36 PMOf course, if the D6 is "printed both sides", the information will be in white on the green panel.  The side the information on PBS panels shows up on is usually based on which side the project plans and/or the fabricator considers the "B" side of the panel.
Are two-sided D6 panels even fabricated anymore (I thought such was dropped from MassHighway/MassDOT specs)?  I've seen several newer installments involving the installation of two separate single-sided D6 signs that replaced a previous individual double-sided D6 sign.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

roadman

Quote from: PHLBOS on March 12, 2015, 10:27:22 AM
Quote from: roadman on March 11, 2015, 08:37:36 PMOf course, if the D6 is "printed both sides", the information will be in white on the green panel.  The side the information on PBS panels shows up on is usually based on which side the project plans and/or the fabricator considers the "B" side of the panel.
Are two-sided D6 panels even fabricated anymore (I thought such was dropped from MassHighway/MassDOT specs)?  I've seen several newer installments involving the installation of two separate single-sided D6 signs that replaced a previous individual double-sided D6 sign.
Two-sided D6 panels are no longer the norm, but they are still being used in cases of accident recovery and for some other new installations - especially in locations where it's desirable to avoid the need for a con-com review because the new sign location would potentially impact a resource area or buffer zone.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.