News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Eastern Kentucky to Annapolis and back

Started by hbelkins, May 07, 2015, 01:53:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Quote from: Rothman on September 13, 2015, 09:00:50 PM
It's not that upgrades to roads don't cause any development at all, it's the fact that a gas station, fast food restaurants and a Dollar Tree hardly set people up to be solidly in the middle class (outside the owners and possibly managers).  Yes, it's nice that someone might now get a just-above-minimum wage job at these places when they might not have a job at all, but as Ross Perot said:  You give a guy with a penny another penny, you've doubled their income.

It's simply not real development that will attract people to the area.

It also adds to the local property tax base. Those areas used to be open fields, worth very little compared to now.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Rothman

Quote from: hbelkins on September 13, 2015, 09:10:55 PM
Quote from: Rothman on September 13, 2015, 09:00:50 PM
It's not that upgrades to roads don't cause any development at all, it's the fact that a gas station, fast food restaurants and a Dollar Tree hardly set people up to be solidly in the middle class (outside the owners and possibly managers).  Yes, it's nice that someone might now get a just-above-minimum wage job at these places when they might not have a job at all, but as Ross Perot said:  You give a guy with a penny another penny, you've doubled their income.

It's simply not real development that will attract people to the area.

It also adds to the local property tax base. Those areas used to be open fields, worth very little compared to now.

Yay. Of course, the businesses were probably given tax cuts to move in there. :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

froggie

^ Plus, given the fickle nature of the types of businesses that HB was referencing, there were likely other restaurants and gas stations that closed during the process.  So the property tax argument is weak at best, especially if the newer businesses were given tax cuts to move in.

hbelkins

Wednesday afternoon, CPZ took me on a little sightseeing tour that involved clinching the ICC, using the HOT lanes on I-495, clinching I-395 in Virginia and DC before coming back to Annapolis for dinner with a few of you all.

The route home was I-97 and MD 32 to I-70 for the rest of the journey back.

*Why is the speed limit on MD 32 only 55? Except for the curvy part near NSA, it seems no different in geometry than the 65 mph interstates.

*For the "routes that change directions" thread, I noticed that MD 32 changes from E/W to N/S, although I didn't spot the exact point where that happens.

*For the "interstates that narrow to one lane" thread, I-70 westbound at Frederick counts. There are two exit-only lanes to the right and only one through lane on I-70 as I-270 merges in.

*Unless I missed it, the "alternate route to Ohio and points west" sign advertising I-68 is gone from I-70. There are still a couple of signs touting as "alt route west" but I don't remember seeing the sign with the specific reference to Ohio. I still don't know why Maryland hates Pennsylvania so much that they're actively trying to divert traffic off the PA Turnpike.

*Why is the Sideling Hill visitors center closed? All that remains is a rest area with bathrooms and vending machines. I'd never stopped before, but since this may be the last time I ever pass that way again, I decided to stop and take some pictures from the walkway.

*Heavy, heavy police presence on I-68 west of Cumberland, especially the area west of the Frostburg and Finzel exits.

*There's still one button copy sign (for Exit 43A) on westbound I-68 but the one remaining mileage sign west of Frostburg that was button copy has been replaced by a Clearview sign.

*As mentioned earlier, the signage on I-68 in West Virginia has been replaced by Clearview, but some of the blue services signs still have the exit number and outlines in button copy.

*The exit sign for US 119 has been taken down off the bridge and placed on an overhead gantry.

*WV 279 has apparently been extended west (or north) of I-79 to the entrance to the FBI facility. There used to be an "End 279" sign at the I-79 exit, but the route is signed in both directions at the exit ramp and there's a North 279 sign there now. I gassed up at the new Sheetz there and drove up to the turnaround at the FBI facility.

*Interesting construction setup for work on the Kanawha River I-64 bridge in Charleston. The ramp from southbound I-77 to westbound I-64 is narrowed to one lane and set up as a "cattle chute" using a lane of the eastbound bridge.

*For the "exits from self" thread, add the I-64/I-77 interchange in Charleston. The through movement for eastbound I-64 is to northbound I-77, with I-64 curving to the right. And vice versa. The through movement for southbound I-77 is to westbound I-64 (and the aforementioned construction setup) with I-77 continuing as a left exit.

*The $x.xx3 gas price in Grayson is back to an $x.xx9 price now.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Rothman

The big speed trap along I-68 that I remember was at the Friendsville exit.  The town sits in a gulley and the police pull people coming downhill either way left and right.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

PHLBOS

Quote from: hbelkins on September 18, 2015, 03:13:56 PM*Unless I missed it, the "alternate route to Ohio and points west" sign advertising I-68 is gone from I-70. There are still a couple of signs touting as "alt route west" but I don't remember seeing the sign with the specific reference to Ohio. I still don't know why Maryland hates Pennsylvania so much that they're actively trying to divert traffic off the PA Turnpike.
Something tells me those signs that you speak were initially erected just after US 40 in that area became I-68.  Such were likely a means to advertise (if one wants to call it that) & stimulate traffic along the then-newly designated Interstate.  If more vehicles are using a Maryland highway; it ususally translates into more money being poured into Maryland businesses & services (at the various exits) and, yes, more moving violation ticket/citation revenue for the Maryland State Police.  :evilgrin:

Given the more outrageous tolls rates that exist on the PA Turnpike today; one would think these signs would have a greater reason to exist.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Mr_Northside

Quote*Why is the speed limit on MD 32 only 55? Except for the curvy part near NSA, it seems no different in geometry than the 65 mph interstates.

I agree.  There was a period of time a few years ago that the shoulders of most of the MD-32 freeway were marked for bicyclists, but that seems to have disapperared.  Don't know if that had any kind of effect on the decision (either direct or indirect) - But other than that curvy part, the only thing I can think of is the population of where it is at? IDK.

Quote*For the "interstates that narrow to one lane" thread, I-70 westbound at Frederick counts. There are two exit-only lanes to the right and only one through lane on I-70 as I-270 merges in.

This one could be open to debate... the "new" left lane (from I-270) joins I-70 before the South 340/15 ramp lane exits... though the striping and signage treats it as one lane.  Though if you end up not leaving the exit lane for South 340/15, you can still get back on I-70 west.

Quote*Unless I missed it, the "alternate route to Ohio and points west" sign advertising I-68 is gone from I-70. There are still a couple of signs touting as "alt route west" but I don't remember seeing the sign with the specific reference to Ohio. I still don't know why Maryland hates Pennsylvania so much that they're actively trying to divert traffic off the PA Turnpike.

I also noticed no reference to Ohio specifically anymore - just "West".  And I'll echo Philbos statement somewhat..  I don't know there is any PA hate at all - I'm sure it's just all about keeping that traffic in MD to potentially use MD businesses and get MD traffic tickets.   I find it to be PA neutral.

I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

1995hoo

My brother says Garrett County (last Maryland county along I-68) always seems to have heavy police enforcement. I've never noticed it, but he often goes to music festivals and the like (Rat Dog give him photo passes and he knows Bob Weir because he goes to so many shows), so I suppose the cops know when those sorts of events are going on and step up enforcement accordingly.

Sorry I couldn't make it Wednesday. cpzilliacus contacted me about it and I wanted to show up, but things are just too busy right now, especially with our trip to New Mexico and Arizona coming up next week.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

froggie

Quote from: Mr_Northside
Quote from: hbelkins*For the "interstates that narrow to one lane" thread, I-70 westbound at Frederick counts. There are two exit-only lanes to the right and only one through lane on I-70 as I-270 merges in.

This one could be open to debate... the "new" left lane (from I-270) joins I-70 before the South 340/15 ramp lane exits... though the striping and signage treats it as one lane.  Though if you end up not leaving the exit lane for South 340/15, you can still get back on I-70 west.

To clarify, westbound I-70 has one CONTINUOUS through lane.  There is no point where WB I-70 is squeezed into one lane period.  There's a half mile between where the 270 on-ramp enters and where the 340/15 South ramp exits for traffic to shift.  Because you have at least two lanes (albeit having to shift in one of them), I would argue that this is NOT a case of an Interstate that narrows to 1 lane.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.