News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Interstate 73/74

Started by Voyager, January 18, 2009, 08:09:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Strider

Quote from: LM117 on July 11, 2016, 12:18:42 PM
Quote from: MazdaStrider on July 11, 2016, 09:42:30 AMit should just start at Roanoke and end at Myrtle Beach.

I agree, although it would be a miracle if I-73 even reaches Martinsville, much less Roanoke. There's no love for I-73 in NoVA and Richmond except for one vocal state senator, Bill Stanley, who represents the Martinsville region. At least SC is trying to get their part started. They've shown more interest than VA has, even though SC hasn't turned dirt yet. SC is waiting for a federal permit, IIRC. SC has also been having a similar political fight over money spent for I-73 like VA has. Politicians from other parts of SC want to take the money that was reserved for I-73 and fix the existing highways. The Myrtle Beach area didn't take kindly to that.

I-73 in VA is on life support and Bill Stanley is trying desperately to keep it alive, although he's failing miserably at it. He'd be better off asking Ohio and Michigan to built I-73. He might have better luck...

If I were to be brutally honest about it, I would be shocked if I-73 even crossed state lines from NC. With SC seemingly getting stonewalled everytime they're on the verge of getting I-73 started and VA not giving a shit about I-73 except for Bill Stanley and the city of Roanoke (I would add Martinsville, but some of the Henry County supervisors shot themselves in the foot), I don't think I-73 will exist outside of NC. There would have to be major political changes in VA and SC for I-73 to be built in those two states and I don't see that change coming anytime soon. People can call me pessimistic and negative all they want, but at least I'm honest about it and I say that as someone who supports I-73. I just don't wear rose-colored glasses.

SC did at least got I-73 permit ready to be issued not long ago, which is a good thing:

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/news/local/article88592432.html

As of Henry County, VA: there is a debate of having the connector road built to serve the Patriot Centre Industry Park, but not as an interstate.. and Stanley is trying to encourage Martinsville Board to switch the I-73 routing from east to west (using the existing US 220 bypass) to reduce costs (in which it should have been to start with).  So far, Stanley have not failed. He was just being neglected. I know this because I went to the meeting there a couple of weeks ago.

Roanoke is just playing a waiting game because the city already has two interstate accesses (I-81 and I-581). That is their advantage over Martinsville.

They are not giving up, so we shouldn't. IF VA decides to drop I-73 for any reason (I am pretty sure the communities would be pissed off), NCDOT still plans to route I-73 up to VA state line sometime after 2025 (and it will end at the state line). But I have the feeling it will at least reach Martinsville before money woes (and politics) catch up with them for like a decade or maybe longer.

One of many reasons I-73 is being ignored by NoVA and Richmond because politicians want money sent to NoVA to try to fix their traffic issues even though they knew SW VA and other parts of the state needs money for their part. That is why on the VDOT website, you see so many projects proposed for NoVA than any other part of the state. Again, like I said it is really sad that politics play their part.

I think I-73 will probably be built as a toll road outside NC, unfortunately.

LM117

Quote from: Strider on July 11, 2016, 12:51:23 PM
Quote from: MazdaStrider on July 11, 2016, 09:42:30 AMit should just start at Roanoke and end at Myrtle Beach.

I agree, although it would be a miracle if I-73 even reaches Martinsville, much less Roanoke. There's no love for I-73 in NoVA and Richmond except for one vocal state senator, Bill Stanley, who represents the Martinsville region. At least SC is trying to get their part started. They've shown more interest than VA has, even though SC hasn't turned dirt yet. SC is waiting for a federal permit, IIRC. SC has also been having a similar political fight over money spent for I-73 like VA has. Politicians from other parts of SC want to take the money that was reserved for I-73 and fix the existing highways. The Myrtle Beach area didn't take kindly to that.

I-73 in VA is on life support and Bill Stanley is trying desperately to keep it alive, although he's failing miserably at it. He'd be better off asking Ohio and Michigan to built I-73. He might have better luck...

If I were to be brutally honest about it, I would be shocked if I-73 even crossed state lines from NC. With SC seemingly getting stonewalled everytime they're on the verge of getting I-73 started and VA not giving a shit about I-73 except for Bill Stanley and the city of Roanoke (I would add Martinsville, but some of the Henry County supervisors shot themselves in the foot), I don't think I-73 will exist outside of NC. There would have to be major political changes in VA and SC for I-73 to be built in those two states and I don't see that change coming anytime soon. People can call me pessimistic and negative all they want, but at least I'm honest about it and I say that as someone who supports I-73. I just don't wear rose-colored glasses.
One of many reasons I-73 is being ignored by NoVA and Richmond because politicians want money sent to NoVA to try to fix their traffic issues even though they knew SW VA and other parts of the state needs money for their part. That is why on the VDOT website, you see so many projects proposed for NoVA than any other part of the state. Again, like I said it is really sad that politics play their part.

Indeed, which is the biggest reason why I've been skeptical of I-73 ever existing in VA and, to a further extent, I-87 from Hampton Roads to NC. Only 4 out of 11 VA congressmen supported the Raleigh-Norfolk corridor bill to begin with, which is telling. I will say though that I-73 would be more of a benefit to VA than I-87, which benefits NC more. Either way, the political divide is worse in VA than it is in NC. Also, Bill Stanley's I-73 legislation didn't pass the state House of Delegates (no surprise there).

Here's an op-ed that was printed a few days ago in The Roanoke Times regarding I-73: http://www.roanoke.com/opinion/editorials/our-view-i--decision-looms-really/article_b9876bab-0643-5fd8-9312-d03372a8ea36.html
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

Strider

Quote from: LM117 on July 11, 2016, 01:12:32 PM

Indeed, which is the biggest reason why I've been skeptical of I-73 ever existing in VA and, to a further extent, I-87 from Hampton Roads to NC. Only 4 out of 11 VA congressmen supported the Raleigh-Norfolk corridor bill to begin with, which is telling. I will say though that I-73 would be more of a benefit to VA than I-87, which benefits NC more. Either way, the political divide is worse in VA than it is in NC. Also, Bill Stanley's I-73 legislation didn't pass the state House of Delegates (no surprise there).

Here's an op-ed that was printed a few days ago in The Roanoke Times regarding I-73: http://www.roanoke.com/opinion/editorials/our-view-i--decision-looms-really/article_b9876bab-0643-5fd8-9312-d03372a8ea36.html

This article basically tells us that Roanoke is tired of politics playing hot potato with I-73. Politics in VA knows I-73 will benefit SW VA but they choose to ignore it (other than telling them they have no money while sending money to NoVA).

Me, for one.. is one of these people who don't want I-87 in NC (because it is very pointless since Hampton Roads are already served by I-64 and their children, but again.. NC politics pushed for Raleigh-Norfolk interstate (I-87) to happen and they got their wish).

I am sorry if politics is divided in VA is way worse than NC, but NC politics is just as hypocrites as well. At least they build roads.

Just wait until toll roads are built because many states are broke and make us pay to drive on them. I don't want I-73 (or any future interstates) being built as a toll road, but it is inevitable.

wdcrft63

In the current political climate, I can't disagree. However, interstate highways tend to create their own constituencies over time. If NC builds I-73 up to the VA state line and puts up an "END 73" sign right there, that sign creates political pressure to extend the freeway. And if SC can get that 6 miles of I-73 built around Latta, people coming off that road onto US 501 are going to be asking, why doesn't this go to Myrtle Beach?

LM117

Quote from: Strider on July 11, 2016, 03:14:29 PM
Quote from: LM117 on July 11, 2016, 01:12:32 PM

I am sorry if politics is divided in VA is way worse than NC, but NC politics is just as hypocrites as well. At least they build roads.

You won't get any argument from me there! I grew up in eastern NC just outside of Goldsboro. I'm no stranger to it.  :-D

LM117

Quote from: wdcrft63 on July 11, 2016, 04:49:05 PM

In the current political climate, I can't disagree. However, interstate highways tend to create their own constituencies over time. If NC builds I-73 up to the VA state line and puts up an "END 73" sign right there, that sign creates political pressure to extend the freeway. And if SC can get that 6 miles of I-73 built around Latta, people coming off that road onto US 501 are going to be asking, why doesn't this go to Myrtle Beach?

True. But on the other hand, it's not going to be easy to convince others to support building an interstate that ends at the state line of another state that currently shows little to zero interest in doing their part. I could see it working in SC, but VA? Iffy at best. If it works, fantastic. If it doesn't, it would be money wasted that could've went to other projects that NC could've actually benefitted from. One of the biggest hangups here, at the state and especially the local level in Henry County, is that they can't see the forest for the trees. If I had to choose which end of I-73 to work on, I would extend it to SC first before I would VA.

Mapmikey

Quote from: Strider on July 11, 2016, 03:14:29 PM

This article basically tells us that Roanoke is tired of politics playing hot potato with I-73. Politics in VA knows I-73 will benefit SW VA but they choose to ignore it (other than telling them they have no money while sending money to NoVA).

(Emphasis added is mine)

This is mostly bunk...

NoVa (along with Hampton Roads) gets a larger share of transportation $ because they have special Transportation Authorities that exist because the state legislature allows these regions to impose extra Sales Tax, Grantor's Tax, and Transient Occupancy Tax.  This extra tax money is viewed as a pass-through by VDOT on their budget and that money goes right back to these districts and the Authority decides what projects to use it on.  So these places get more money because they pay for it directly and specifically for transportation projects.  In addition, NoVa counties put up as much as 9 figures a year per county to do transportation projects.

Southwestern Virginia already has an I-73-size project going on: Coalfields Expressway, which as of 2013 is estimated to cost between $2.6B and $5.1B depending on how much of the non-traditional construction method they can use (see - http://www.virginiadot.org/projects/resources/Bristol/Coalfields_Expressway_Briefing.pdf).  VDOT's 2016 budget for the entire state is $5.3B.  And their FAQ suggests 20 years to build it all.  Not to mention they are still not done widening US 58 across the bottom.  And I-81 is 50 years old in many places and needs updating.

Money also flows from NoVa to rural areas of Virginia for non-transportation stuff (schools, etc.). 

Strider

Quote from: wdcrft63 on July 11, 2016, 04:49:05 PM

Good. that is what needs to be done. NC is going to build I-73 up to VA state line, and south to SC state line as long as fund allows them anyways. Political pressure to extend the freeway is how the people who support new interstates can win the battle (not war). But that isn't always the case, however.

LM117

Quote from: Mapmikey on July 11, 2016, 07:50:25 PMSouthwestern Virginia already has an I-73-size project going on: Coalfields Expressway, which as of 2013 is estimated to cost between $2.6B and $5.1B depending on how much of the non-traditional construction method they can use (see - http://www.virginiadot.org/projects/resources/Bristol/Coalfields_Expressway_Briefing.pdf).  VDOT's 2016 budget for the entire state is $5.3B.  And their FAQ suggests 20 years to build it all.

Can somebody please explain to me how the Coalfields Expressway, in the middle of nowhere in an area that's dirt poor with little civilization that has about as much chance for economic development as US-52 in WV, is worth that kind of investment compared to I-73 in VA that actually connects cities and has a better chance of bringing economic development between Greensboro, the 3rd largest city in NC, and Roanoke, the largest city and economic hub of SW VA with a population nearing 100,000? Because looking at it on paper, it doesn't make a damn bit of sense to me.

People like to bitch about NC building so-called "highways to nowhere"....I don't see how NC could ever top this.

Mapmikey

Here is the 2013 Economic Study for US 121 - http://www.virginiadot.org/projects/resources/CoalfieldsExpressway/Economics_Impact_of_the_Coalfields_Expressway_2013.pdf

Noteworthy is that they come out and say that West Virginia is expected to reap 70% of the overall economic benefit...

Only skimmed through this...they appear to say only service-related jobs would be a given in the future as a result of US 121 and only broadly speculate that other kinds of jobs could be easier to materialize with a better road through this region.

They say it knocks off an hour to get to the Ports of Virginia and they also tout the fact that travel time on VA 83 from Pound to WV would be cut in half, to about an hour.

I'm not a huge fan of this project but Congress made this a high-priority corridor so it has legs from that...

Strider

Quote from: Mapmikey on July 12, 2016, 09:48:38 AM
Here is the 2013 Economic Study for US 121 - http://www.virginiadot.org/projects/resources/CoalfieldsExpressway/Economics_Impact_of_the_Coalfields_Expressway_2013.pdf

Noteworthy is that they come out and say that West Virginia is expected to reap 70% of the overall economic benefit...

Only skimmed through this...they appear to say only service-related jobs would be a given in the future as a result of US 121 and only broadly speculate that other kinds of jobs could be easier to materialize with a better road through this region.

They say it knocks off an hour to get to the Ports of Virginia and they also tout the fact that travel time on VA 83 from Pound to WV would be cut in half, to about an hour.

I'm not a huge fan of this project but Congress made this a high-priority corridor so it has legs from that...

Not a huge fan of that project either because it seems to be built in a middle of nowhere.....

LM117

Quote from: Mapmikey on July 12, 2016, 09:48:38 AM

It just confirms my first impression: a complete waste of money. Of course WV will benefit the most from it since the CFX would end at I-77/I-64. Whatever development that might occur would mostly be near that interchange. The rest of the route? Nope, can't see it. Also, what use would having access to the ports be for the CFX other than for the coal industry, which has been in decline in recent years? It amazes me that VA supports a useless project like this but continues to shit on I-73. :banghead:

Mapmikey

Coal may be in decline but as of 2011 (per pg. 40 of the economic study) coal was still far and away the state of Virginia's largest export...

Their source for that stat in the report (http://www.census.gov/foreign-trade/statistics/state/data/va.html) shows that in 2015 coal is still #2 though the value has come down quite a bit.

This does seem like an awful lot of $ for Virginia to put towards a project that mostly helps WV.  But development could be possible where it crosses US 23 and US 460 which are well-connected to other parts of the world.  But a boondoggle nonetheless.  Imagine what it would cost if they tried to make it an interstate...

LM117

Quote from: Mapmikey on July 12, 2016, 11:58:50 AM
Imagine what it would cost if they tried to make it an interstate...

Shhhh! Don't give them any ideas. :pan:

hbelkins

Roanoke and Greensboro are already connected by a perfectly good four-lane route. I'll bet the people in Wise, Dickenson, Buchanan, McDowell, Wyoming and western Raleigh counties would love to have a road the quality of existing US 220 to link them. I've said it before and I will continue to say it -- it seems ridiculous to build a new four-lane road parallel to a perfectly fine existing four-lane road when there are other places that would benefit greatly from new construction of a four-lane road.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

SP Cook

What HB said.   SW Virginia (more on that later) remains very physically seperated from the rest of the world.   Projects like 121, 460, 23, and 58 will open that area up.

As to the whole "well Roanoke has this or that".  Virginia is, sad to say, getting more and more run by people that have never been outside NOVA and keep moving SW Virgina east.  Eventually I look for Harrisonburg to be in SW Virginia to these people.  It is 4 hours of hard driving from Roanoke to the Cumberland Gap.  Both the White House and the ocean and Hampton Roads are closer.

To me "SW Virginia" is the part that drains (eventually) to the Tennessee via the Clinch or to the Ohio via the Big Sandy or the New/Kanawha.

74/171FAN

Quote from: SP Cook on July 12, 2016, 03:25:34 PM
What HB said.   SW Virginia (more on that later) remains very physically seperated from the rest of the world.   Projects like 121, 460, 23, and 58 will open that area up.

As to the whole "well Roanoke has this or that".  Virginia is, sad to say, getting more and more run by people that have never been outside NOVA and keep moving SW Virgina east.  Eventually I look for Harrisonburg to be in SW Virginia to these people.  It is 4 hours of hard driving from Roanoke to the Cumberland Gap.  Both the White House and the ocean and Hampton Roads are closer.

To me "SW Virginia" is the part that drains (eventually) to the Tennessee via the Clinch or to the Ohio via the Big Sandy or the New/Kanawha.

As long as Virginia Tech exists, there will be at least plenty of people in NoVA that have gone as far southwest as the Blacksburg-Christiansburg area.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Strider

Quote from: hbelkins on July 12, 2016, 02:12:11 PM
Roanoke and Greensboro are already connected by a perfectly good four-lane route. I'll bet the people in Wise, Dickenson, Buchanan, McDowell, Wyoming and western Raleigh counties would love to have a road the quality of existing US 220 to link them. I've said it before and I will continue to say it -- it seems ridiculous to build a new four-lane road parallel to a perfectly fine existing four-lane road when there are other places that would benefit greatly from new construction of a four-lane road.

Perfectly good four lane route? Sorry.

seicer

What's wrong with it? It's not interstate quality? That's hardly a qualifier in justifying spending an exorbitant amount of money to build a parallel four-lane route.

Thing 342

Virginia shouldn't spend a penny on I-73 until I-81 is widened to 3+ lanes between I-66 and I-77. There are much better ways to spend road money in Southwestern Virginia than upgrading a four-lane route that adequately handles the traffic it carries.

mvak36

Quote from: Thing 342 on July 13, 2016, 09:33:13 AM
Virginia shouldn't spend a penny on I-73 until I-81 is widened to 3+ lanes between I-66 and I-77. There are much better ways to spend road money in Southwestern Virginia than upgrading a four-lane route that adequately handles the traffic it carries.

I agree. I want to see them 3-lane I-81 first. Are there any plans currently to upgrades parts of that corridor?
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

MazdaStrider

Quote from: mvak36 on July 13, 2016, 10:27:20 AM

I agree. I want to see them 3-lane I-81 first. Are there any plans currently to upgrades parts of that corridor?

Tell that to Richmond. Don't be surprised if they put that off.

As of the plans, last I heard there was a study about it back in 2012. Since then, I don't know. They are improving some areas along I-81 though.

link to the website: http://www.virginiadot.org/projects/corridors/interstate_81_projects.asp

LM117

Quote from: MazdaStrider on July 13, 2016, 11:00:18 AM
Quote from: mvak36 on July 13, 2016, 10:27:20 AM

Tell that to Richmond. Don't be surprised if they put that off.

As of the plans, last I heard there was a study about it back in 2012. Since then, I don't know. They are improving some areas along I-81 though.

link to the website: http://www.virginiadot.org/projects/corridors/interstate_81_projects.asp

Plus, the last time the idea of widening I-81 was brought up, there was opposition from environmental and historical groups. I haven't heard of any plans to widen I-81 since then (that didn't include tolls), other than that feasibility study. I-81 tends to get the same treatment as I-95 in NC. I-95 is used mainly by long-distance traffic and doesn't directly (indirectly by I-40) serve any economic hubs like the nearby Triangle and I-81 doesn't serve Richmond or NoVA (not directly), so there ya go.

http://www.smartergrowth.net/news-parent/press-releases/depth-of-opposition-grows-to-massive-i-81-widening/

seicer

There is a huge difference in widening by adding an extra lane and overkill, with truck and car lanes, extra lanes... without even considering upgrading a nearby freight line (for instance).

MazdaStrider

Quote from: Sherman Cahal on July 13, 2016, 12:09:27 PM
There is a huge difference in widening by adding an extra lane and overkill, with truck and car lanes, extra lanes... without even considering upgrading a nearby freight line (for instance).

I don't know. I know there are heavy truck traffic on I-81, but if were oppositions on widening I-81 in VA, that is probably why I have not heard of any plans to widen it lately. Yes, I-81 needs widening, but again, traffic usually will still be heavy because trucks usually follow interstates, not US routes. (some of them still uses US routes, but most of them prefer interstates). I-73 will be another interstate between I-77 and I-64 junctions. Believe me when I say this, when I-73 is being built, you will see more traffic using I-73 which can result in reduced traffic along I-81 among other reasons. That is one of the reasons why they want I-73. Somehow they knew a US route is not enough to bring jobs and economy to SW VA who needs to blossom.

Because if US 220 is fine as it is, then they probably don't need I-73. Unfortunately, they have been wanting I-73 for YEARS, which tells us something. I have been to Martinsville and Rocky Mount (cities between Greensboro and Roanoke), and I can see and understand why they want a interstate nearby. I support I-73 because it doesn't only provide a quicker link between Greensboro and Roanoke, but I want to see cities in SW VA expand. Having a interstate access is one of the steps in expanding SW VA area. If I have that kind of money to build I-73, I would do give it to them.

They want I-73 for many years and they deserve to have a interstate running near them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.