News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Interstate 73/74

Started by Voyager, January 18, 2009, 08:09:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Strider

Quote from: LM117 on July 14, 2016, 05:33:17 PM
Quote from: Strider on July 14, 2016, 04:02:57 PM
Now, what is the update on the I-73/74 road construction near Rockingham County in NC? Does everyone know of it?

I think you meant the town of Rockingham. Anyway, according to NCDOT"s progress report (TIP: R-3421C), it's actual progress is 48.64 percent complete. It's apparently behind schedule since it's scheduled progress is 67 percent complete. It's completion date is March 30, 2018.

Lol yeah, I mean the town of Rockingham. Sorry, thanks for updating :)

hbelkins

You're still missing the point.

OK, I'll play along, o enlightened one. What is the point?

If a new interstate-quality freeway is needed between Martinsville and Roanoke, then one is also needed along the following corridors in Virginia:

Danville to Gainesville (via Lynchburg, Charlottesville and Culpeper)
Roanoke to Petersburg
Martinsville to Norfolk
Abingdon to Bluefield
Abingdon to Norton
The Tennessee state line near Kingsport/Gate City to the Kentucky state line near Pound/Jenkins

What? Those corridors already have four-lane routes?

Boom. Game, set, match. Case closed.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Strider

Quote from: hbelkins on July 14, 2016, 07:38:02 PM

If a new interstate-quality freeway is needed between Martinsville and Roanoke, then one is also needed along the following corridors in Virginia:

Roanoke to Petersburg
Martinsville to Norfolk
Abingdon to Bluefield
Abingdon to Norton
The Tennessee state line near Kingsport/Gate City to the Kentucky state line near Pound/Jenkins

Once again, you miss the point. That is okay. Moving on back to I-73 topic.

CanesFan27

Quote from: Strider on July 14, 2016, 08:21:33 PM

Roanoke to Petersburg
Martinsville to Norfolk
Abingdon to Bluefield
Abingdon to Norton

Quite frankly, I don't think anyone knows what your point is.

hbelkins

I certainly don't know what the point is, despite a request above to have it made to me.

He's trying to defend the need to build a second four-lane corridor between Martinsville and Roanoke that I quite frankly don't see the need for.

In one of the emails he sent me starting this afternoon, which I will probably post here, he basically said, "Well, someone in Virginia wants it so I want it too." Which makes no sense. Kentucky's four-laning the Mountain Parkway and I'm not in support of that because I don't see the need for it.

He's also calling me a hypocrite because I am in favor of putting interstate route markers up on Kentucky's existing former toll-road freeways but don't support building a redundant four-lane route between Martinsville and Roanoke. There's a big difference between putting up new signs on an existing road and building an entirely new road. Of course, I think it's ridiculous that the feds are requiring small upgrades to the Kentucky parkways when most motorists couldn't tell the difference between them and a rural four-lane interstate, and they are probably closer to modern standards than any number of existing interstates (I-70 between Washington and New Stanton, or I-68 through Cumberland, just to name two.)

I'm all ears as to the point I'm missing.

Strider

Quote from: CanesFan27 on July 14, 2016, 09:49:10 PM
Quote from: Strider on July 14, 2016, 08:21:33 PM

Roanoke to Petersburg
Martinsville to Norfolk
Abingdon to Bluefield
Abingdon to Norton

Quite frankly, I don't think anyone knows what your point is.

It depends on who you're asking.

seicer

Nope. I'm not seeing your point, or a point to your condescending posts, Strider. Other than offering no evidence as to why you believe a parallel four-lane interstate should be built next to a four-lane highway which is nowhere near its design traffic capacity, has no level-of-service issues, and which will not bring any further development than the four-lane highway already has...

Strider

Quote from: Sherman Cahal on July 15, 2016, 08:37:44 AM
Nope. I'm not seeing your point, or a point to your condescending posts, Strider. Other than offering no evidence as to why you believe a parallel four-lane interstate should be built next to a four-lane highway which is nowhere near its design traffic capacity, has no level-of-service issues, and which will not bring any further development than the four-lane highway already has...

Evidences are mentioned in the thread. I suggest you to start reading the whole thread. Also, the point is about the purpose of I-73, not my point. Read the sentences carefully, I said "THE point", not "MY point". The point as in the point of the project, and I support it and I already stated why I support it. If you don't like it, let the CTB know. If you want to discuss this farther, take it to the personal message otherwise I am moving on.

hbelkins

If Martinsville needs an interstate, get North Carolina to slap an x40 or x85 designation onto whatever interstate upgrades it builds north of Greensboro. Or let them do with I-73 what they do with I-74, and kill the designation at the VA/NC state line.

That makes three of us (Adam, Sherman and me) who don't get the point. And all three of us have been around for awhile, at least 20 years since MTR's heyday.

seicer

Quote from: Strider on July 15, 2016, 10:28:04 AM
Evidences are mentioned in the thread. I suggest you to start reading the whole thread. Also, the point is about the purpose of I-73, not my point. Read the sentences carefully, I said "THE point", not "MY point". The point as in the point of the project, and I support it and I already stated why I support it. If you don't like it, let the CTB know. If you want to discuss this farther, take it to the personal message otherwise I am moving on.

Considering that I've been on AARoads since its inception and have been following this thread since it was created - and was around on newsgroups (misc.transport.road, for one), your ignorance is noted.

hbelkins

Quote from: Sherman Cahal on July 15, 2016, 12:36:21 PM
Quote from: Strider on July 15, 2016, 10:28:04 AM

Considering that I've been on AARoads since its inception and have been following this thread since it was created - and was around on newsgroups (misc.transport.road, for one), your ignorance is noted.

Careful, old friend, or you'll start getting private email messages and you'll be informed you've been reported to the AA Roads mods.

seicer

Like... this sent from Strider at 1302?

"Or maybe it is you who is having a lack of knowledge since I live on the proposed path of I-73. Also, I also have been around since this thread started as well. Thank you very much. Now your ignorance is also noted."

noelbotevera

I'll be honest, I kept up with I-73/I-74 crap ever since 2005. I may have been a year old, but I still keep tabs here and there.

Make that four...I guess?
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

sparker

This thread seems to be morphing into something resembling Monty Python's "Argument Clinic" sketch.   :-P  Really needs to get back on track minus the personal animosity!

US71

Quote from: hbelkins on July 14, 2016, 03:40:11 PM
Are "Strider" and "MazdaStrider" the same person? Because I have seen both names post in this forum.

Yes.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

bob7374

A source reports that NCDOT has indicated that they plan to open the I-73 segments north of Greensboro in November. IMO this is more likely for the segments from PTI Airport to US 220, than to the north.

I have posted contributed photos of I-73 construction taken about a week ago to my Segments 2 and 3 page: http://www.gribblenation.net/i7374nc/i73seg2.html
and to Segment 4 page:
http://www.gribblenation.net/i7374nc/i73seg4.html

You can judge for yourself which segments appear more likely to opened this year.

Strider

Quote from: bob7374 on July 26, 2016, 12:11:37 AM
A source reports that NCDOT has indicated that they plan to open the I-73 segments north of Greensboro in November. IMO this is more likely for the segments from PTI Airport to US 220, than to the north.

I have posted contributed photos of I-73 construction taken about a week ago to my Segments 2 and 3 page: http://www.gribblenation.net/i7374nc/i73seg2.html
and to Segment 4 page:
http://www.gribblenation.net/i7374nc/i73seg4.html

You can judge for yourself which segments appear more likely to opened this year.

I think that the section between NC 68 (southern interchange) and US 220 (or maybe US 158) will be opened first before the north and/or the connector between Bryan and NC 68. I might be wrong. When the road opens, I plan on filming it though.

wdcrft63

Army Corps of Engineers evaluating environmental questions along the I-73 route in South Carolina:
http://www.foxcarolina.com/story/32578635/army-corps-reviewing-proposed-interstate-to-myrtle-beach

Is this actually news, or has it been going on for a while?

LM117

Quote from: wdcrft63 on July 31, 2016, 02:53:17 PM
Army Corps of Engineers evaluating environmental questions along the I-73 route in South Carolina:
http://www.foxcarolina.com/story/32578635/army-corps-reviewing-proposed-interstate-to-myrtle-beach

SC has been trying to get the permit for quite a while IIRC, but this is the closest they've gotten to finally getting the permit, so it's good news...for now. I-73 in SC has been getting major opposition from Nancy Cave and the Coastal Conservation League, so I would expect them to try to fight it again. Politicians from other parts of the state have been trying to take money that's reserved for I-73 and use it for other parts of the state. The Grand Strand didn't take kindly to that.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

Strider

Quote from: LM117 on July 31, 2016, 08:41:50 PM
Quote from: wdcrft63 on July 31, 2016, 02:53:17 PM

SC has been trying to get the permit for quite a while IIRC, but this is the closest they've gotten to finally getting the permit, so it's good news...for now. I-73 in SC has been getting major opposition from Nancy Cave and the Coastal Conservation League, so I would expect them to try to fight it again. Politicians from other parts of the state have been trying to take money that's reserved for I-73 and use it for other parts of the state. The Grand Strand didn't take kindly to that.

Yeah, it is a mess down there in SC, I just know that Nancy Cave and the Coastal Conservation League basically opposed everything. I spoke with one of their members and was given a very rude attitude when I asked why they are opposed to any new road construction. I definitely do not like that group.

Myrtle Beach deserves a interstate connection.

The Ghostbuster

If Myrtle Beach needs an Interstate connection, how soon can they build one? They seem to be taking their sweet time.

SP Cook

Both "deserves" and "interstate" are poor choices of words, IMHO, however it is certain that US 501 is not currently adequate to handle all of the beach bound traffic in the peak season.  If (when) there ever was an evacuation of the area, it would be quite difficult.  The population of Horry County is nearly 6 times what it was when the original interstates were mapped out, and the area has shifted from nearly 100% tourist economy to one with a great number of permanent residents. 

jcarte29

Later today I will post pictures from I-73/74 construction just north of Rockingham. Where/when safe to do so, I captured some good progress shots of upgrading the current highway to exit 23 and just south.

Im on a small pitstop (pun intended, I was catching the last of the Sprint Cup Race in Michigan) but I will finish my journey with pictures from I-74 construction in W-S, before going home. Good day for a little road trip :) -jaustincarter
Interstates I've driven on (Complete and/or partial, no particular order)
------------------
40, 85, 95, 77, 277(NC), 485(NC), 440(NC), 540(NC), 795(NC), 140(NC), 73, 74, 840(NC), 26, 20, 75, 285(GA), 81, 64, 71, 275(OH), 465(IN), 65, 264(VA), 240(NC), 295(VA), 526(SC), 985(GA), 395(FL), 195(FL)

Strider

Quote from: jcarte29 on August 28, 2016, 04:57:10 PM
Later today I will post pictures from I-73/74 construction just north of Rockingham. Where/when safe to do so, I captured some good progress shots of upgrading the current highway to exit 23 and just south.

Im on a small pitstop (pun intended, I was catching the last of the Sprint Cup Race in Michigan) but I will finish my journey with pictures from I-74 construction in W-S, before going home. Good day for a little road trip :) -jaustincarter

How was it going?

jcarte29

Lot of bridges are completed, and while I wasnt sure if I was "allowed" to drive them (blocked off except for small openings for locals who probably moved them heh), they provided the best and safest places to snap the pics lol.
Interstates I've driven on (Complete and/or partial, no particular order)
------------------
40, 85, 95, 77, 277(NC), 485(NC), 440(NC), 540(NC), 795(NC), 140(NC), 73, 74, 840(NC), 26, 20, 75, 285(GA), 81, 64, 71, 275(OH), 465(IN), 65, 264(VA), 240(NC), 295(VA), 526(SC), 985(GA), 395(FL), 195(FL)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.