News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Southwest Florida

Started by FLRoads, October 23, 2009, 04:07:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex

FDOT seeks solution to traffic increase on Green Bridge

QuoteHow to accomplish that in a downtown area isn't easy. But Nandam said FDOT does have a preliminary design concept, and it could tie into a project already planned for the 2017-18 fiscal year in the same area.

Reducing the thru lanes to 10 feet wide and partially removing some of the medians could create enough space for the proposed turn lanes, while maintaining all existing lanes, he said.

FDOT typically projects work well into the future to take into account both planning and funding issues. Nandam said the estimated cost would be about $600,000, but would include redoing much of the asphalt on Ninth Street West in the downtown area.

Nandam said it would take about a year to design and find funding for the proposal, so the best option is to tie it into the existing project.

FLRoads

Short article explaining the methodology of the construction of the I-75 Caloosahatchee River bridge in Fort Myers.

I-75 bridge-building method completely over the top

QuoteThe 32-foot-tall cranes represent key pieces of equipment for the final phase of a $72 million, interstate-widening project that broke ground in January 2013 and is scheduled to finish by the fall of 2015.

The bridge is the final segment of the construction job that will complete the expansion of I-75 to six lanes in Lee County.

The "top-down"  approach being used for this bridge expansion project was driven by environmental protection concerns, according to Debbie Tower, a spokeswoman for the Florida Department of Transportation, and the project engineer, Steve Coker.

Top-down construction is not a new practice, Coker said.

The cranes are controlled by a GPS unit on the bridge and have one set of tires on the west span and another on the east span.

Alex

Cortez Bridge (SR 684) to undergo multi-million dollar repairs

QuoteThe Cortez Bridge is at the center of a multi-million dollar repair project set to begin April 28 and expected to be completed by early 2015.

According to an informational leaflet by the Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT), the Cortez Bridge, built in 1956, sits in a naturally corrosive saltwater environment, prompting the need for routine maintenance and minor repairs.

QuoteThe repairs, which are expected to extend the life of the bridge for another 10 years, will focus on a laundry list of areas: repairing concrete beams, the sea wall, and the steel on the movable span portion of the bridge. Bollas said there are plans to also upgrade the bridge's electric system, which includes lighting and the power for the bridge tender house.

FLRoads

S.R. 64 stretch timed for fewer stops

QuoteSix traffic signals installed along a newly widened section of State Road 64 East will use updated timing, cameras and sensors to determine how traffic will flow along the six-lane arterial.

Under the best conditions, commuters will be able to drive between Interstate 75 and Carlton Arms Boulevard without having to stop for a single red light.

QuoteOfficials with the Florida Department of Transportation and Manatee County say the new lights will speed S.R. 64 traffic and better serve traffic on side streets and in turn lanes.

Trudy Gerena, a spokeswoman who liaisons between Better Roads and the Florida Department of Transportation, said the sensing system will be able to determine whether traffic on S.R. 64 or on crossroads needs a green light depending on traffic volumes and wait times.

QuoteStublen acknowledged lights in the construction zone have not functioned ideally during construction. At one point, an FDOT crew was dispatched to deal with a turn signal that allowed traffic to flow for just three seconds.

He said he doesn't expect anything like that to happen once the lights are under FDOT control. Under the right conditions, the 2.5-mile stretch of road will allow traffic to flow without restrictions.

Alex

Plans call for the addition of an auxiliary lane per direction of I-75 both north and south of Exit 217 and the removal of the north I-75 to west SR 70 loop ramp to eliminate weaving traffic.

Widening, interchange reconstruction, planned along I-75 in Manatee County

Quotehe Florida Department of Transportation is planning to widen approximately 6.8 miles of Interstate 75 from north of University Parkway to south of State Road 64, officials said Monday.

Plans also call for reconstruction of the I-75 interchange at State Road 70 in Manatee County, one of eight interchanges FDOT is re-designing for future improvements in Manatee and Sarasota counties, according to an FDOT newsletter.

Alex

FDOT study looks at roundabouts for State Road 64 in East Manatee

QuoteThe Florida Department of Transportation is studying the feasibility of installing roundabouts on State Road 64 East at its intersections with Rye Road and Lorraine Road as a way of slowing traffic.

"We are studying them and we have not made a determination at this time," Robin Stublen, a spokesman for the FDOT, said this week.

Manatee County Public Works Director Ron Schulhofer requested that FDOT conduct a traffic-signal study on July 28.

In response, FDOT determined that a signal was warranted at Rye Road, but that a right-turn lane would eliminate 80 percent of the problems there with the addition of a signal, Stublen said.

FLRoads

FDOT looks at possibility of third bridge between Bradenton and Palmetto

QuoteFDOT and the MPO have partnered to expand an earlier $3 million study of the main roads in central Manatee, including arteries connecting Bradenton and Palmetto that in recent years have become increasingly congested.

Because of a lot of public comment about the need to build a third bridge -- in addition to the Green and DeSoto bridges -- to alleviate congestion, Tankersley said, "FDOT wants to put this to rest once and for all," to see if it is even possible. If not, he said, FDOT will also look at the possibility of widening the existing bridges.

The study area runs from 17th Street West in Palmetto south to 17th Avenue West in Bradenton; and from 26th Street West in Bradenton east to the Braden River.

QuoteThe expanded study is expected to be concluded by December.

Alex

Sarasota County wants roundabout at U.S. 41 and University Parkway

QuoteMotorists traveling along U.S. 41 may have to travel around a new roundabout proposed to be built at the intersection of U.S. 41 and University Parkway, right at the entrance of the Ringling Museum of Art.

If approved, this roundabout would join at least two other roundabouts being constructed along U.S. 41 in Sarasota. The two other roundabouts will be at 10th Street and U.S. 41, and 14th Street and U.S. 41. At these intersections, U.S. 41 will be widened to include bike lanes, dedicated turn lanes, a 10-foot sidewalk along the west side and a 6-foot sidewalk along the east side. The construction phase, which is funded, is scheduled for 2017.

Read more here: http://www.bradenton.com/2014/11/18/5482431/sarasota-county-wants-roundabout.html?sp=/99/179/186/#storylink=cpy

GCrites

A lot's gone on in Bradenton since I was spending a lot of time there in the '80s and '90s.

FLRoads

Cross State Highway: The Florida highway that never was

The Cross State Highway was a once proposed coast-to-coast route during the 1920's that would have connected the southwest Florida coast with the southeast coast via the inland towns of Arcadia and La Belle. This proposal rivaled that of the Tamiami Trail at the time but never came to fruition due to financial and political plays that backed the building of the Trail instead. 

NE2

Quote from: flaroads on December 14, 2014, 09:26:12 PM
I'm a little confused. The 1920 Blue Book (bottom of page) says the Cross State Highway went from Fort Myers to Palm Beach, in other words SR 80. I've seen the Cross State Highway name on SR 80 on maps. Perhaps Arcadia-Bermont-LaBelle was a proposed cutoff.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

FLRoads

Quote from: NE2 on December 14, 2014, 09:44:20 PM
Quote from: flaroads on December 14, 2014, 09:26:12 PM
I'm a little confused. The 1920 Blue Book (bottom of page) says the Cross State Highway went from Fort Myers to Palm Beach, in other words SR 80. I've seen the Cross State Highway name on SR 80 on maps. Perhaps Arcadia-Bermont-LaBelle was a proposed cutoff.

Or the route between West Palm Beach and Fort Myers (SR 80) was given that name designation after the original proposal was nixed. That description does mention Tamiami Trail, which would mean that that portion of the book was rewritten sometime after 1928, the completion year of the Trail.

NE2

Quote from: flaroads on December 14, 2014, 10:12:58 PM
That description does mention Tamiami Trail, which would mean that that portion of the book was rewritten sometime after 1928, the completion year of the Trail.
Actually no. Page 26: "The Tamiami highway, now being built...will be completed in 1921". Of course this didn't actually happen as planned.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

FLRoads

Quote from: NE2 on December 14, 2014, 10:27:42 PM
Quote from: flaroads on December 14, 2014, 10:12:58 PM
That description does mention Tamiami Trail, which would mean that that portion of the book was rewritten sometime after 1928, the completion year of the Trail.
Actually no. Page 26: "The Tamiami highway, now being built...will be completed in 1921". Of course this didn't actually happen as planned.

It took me a minute, but I found to where you were referring on Page 36, not 26. The only reason I was thinking it that was because what was written on Page 65 made it seem that the Tamiami Trail already fully connected Miami and Tampa. Oh well.

FLRoads

I-75, airport connector project close to opening

QuoteThe final link in the $54.1 million Interstate 75 Airport Direct Connect project should open in February, allowing freeway traffic to funnel in and out of Southwest Florida International Airport for the first time without touching surface streets.

The project that began in the fall of 2012 is just about complete, said Jennifer Dorning, a spokeswoman for the Florida Department of Transportation.

"The spring target date for completion is still on track," she said.

Quote"We're also expecting this new corridor to develop into a strategic freight connection between I-75 and the airport," Dorning said.

Fred Defender

Quote from: GCrites80s on November 21, 2014, 05:49:00 PM
A lot's gone on in Bradenton since I was spending a lot of time there in the '80s and '90s.

Roger that. I lived in Sarasota County from 1968 until 1993. The plans to widen County Line Rd, - I mean University Parkway - to TEN lanes blows my mind. I believe that it was in 1990 or '91 when they widened it from two to four lanes. I remember when there was no University Parkway east of I-75. Then again, I can remember when there was no I-75 and no University Parkway, period.
AGAM

adventurernumber1

Quote from: Fred Defender on December 26, 2014, 09:50:09 PM
The plans to widen County Line Rd, - I mean University Parkway - to TEN lanes blows my mind.

Ten lanes? That is beyond mind-blowing for a surface road (even a little impressive for an interstate, that is unless you're me and you've been used to the interstates in Atlanta your whole life  :bigass: ). Does University Parkway really need that many lanes? But of course, it's not like they don't have any room to do the mega widening  :sombrero: https://www.google.com/maps/@27.3888981,-82.5174002,3a,75y,142.15h,86.37t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1syOOzXDeX2FPvVxUnvLEpag!2e0

Quote from: flaroads on December 26, 2014, 09:06:38 AM
I-75, airport connector project close to opening

Heh, it does looks like the airport could use a limited-access connection to I-75.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

FLRoads

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on December 26, 2014, 11:04:54 PM
Does University Parkway really need that many lanes?
In the vicinity of I-75 it does, especially with all the commercial development, retail power centers and the new regional mall that just opened in October.

But of course, it's not like they don't have any room to do the mega widening
Of course there would be room to widen University Parkway. Its called Right-of-Way taking. :nod: Actually, there are a few portions along University Parkway that could easily accommodate a 10-lane arterial without having to take any ROW. Just knock out the tree-lined median and replace the existing drainage ditches with reinforced concrete pipe and outlets.

Heh, it does looks like the airport could use a limited-access connection to I-75.
That airport could have used a direct freeway connection a long time ago. I'm just curious if the connection will have a "hidden" state route designation or if FDOT is handing all of it over to Lee County. It would be nice if it at least had a county road designation.

florida

Quote from: flaroads on December 27, 2014, 09:16:21 AM
That airport could have used a direct freeway connection a long time ago. I'm just curious if the connection will have a "hidden" state route designation or if FDOT is handing all of it over to Lee County. It would be nice if it at least had a county road designation.

Considering SR 210 got added, and the extension of two legs for SR 436 into MCO property, they should add a designation to this since it serves the airport. If they go for hidden, SR 93B would be nice ;)
So many roads...so little time.

emory

These new overhead signs were installed on SR 84 near the intersection with Collier Blvd (CR 951) east of Naples. It's also the first instance of any sign in the area acknowledging the small portion of Collier Blvd between SR 84 and I-75 that's under state maintenance. I-75 exit signs and off-ramps sign the entire road as CR 951.

andy3175

Quote from: emory on January 30, 2015, 05:12:20 AM
These new overhead signs were installed on SR 84 near the intersection with Collier Blvd (CR 951) east of Naples. It's also the first instance of any sign in the area acknowledging the small portion of Collier Blvd between SR 84 and I-75 that's under state maintenance. I-75 exit signs and off-ramps sign the entire road as CR 951.

Very nice picture. Thank you for sharing. This is indeed the first time I've seen a SR 951 route marker north of US 41. Good find!
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

Alex

Manatee County commissioners to vote on $32.7 million contract for Fort Hamer Bridge construction

QuoteManatee County staff has recommended that the lowest bidder for construction of the proposed Fort Hamer Bridge be selected.

Johnson Brothers Corp. submitted a bid of $32,690,155.48 with a 630 calendar days for completion, which was the lowest of the seven bids submitted to the county earlier this month.

QuoteThe bridge will span the Manatee River connecting two roads: Upper Manatee River Road on the south side and Fort Hamer Road on the north. When completed, the bridge will create a north-south alternative to Interstate 75 and provide a more-direct route for Parrish residents to go to Lakewood Ranch. Construction is expected to begin in March.

Fred Defender

Maybe some locals can tell me what they're doing/have done to I-75 in Sarasota County. It has been at least two years since I've been to my old stomping grounds (I lived in Sarasota County 1968-1993). The last time I drove it, there was some major construction taking place near Venice. I trust that they were adding lanes from the original four. But it looked like there was some complete realignment being done.
AGAM

FLRoads

Quote from: Fred Defender on February 23, 2015, 09:00:30 AM
Maybe some locals can tell me what they're doing/have done to I-75 in Sarasota County. It has been at least two years since I've been to my old stomping grounds (I lived in Sarasota County 1968-1993). The last time I drove it, there was some major construction taking place near Venice. I trust that they were adding lanes from the original four. But it looked like there was some complete realignment being done.

Yeah, I-75 was widened to six lanes between SR 681 and River Road (Exit 191) by summer 2012. Part of the widening project involved realigning a portion of the southbound lanes slightly eastward near the Laurel Road interchange for the expansion of a local road (Honore Avenue). FDOT relinquished some of I-75's westerly Right-of-Way to Sarasota County so they could push the Honore Avenue extension through to meet Laurel Road without having to acquire any additional ROW. The new road is going to use the two bridges north of Exit 195 that once carried southbound I-75 traffic, so that will also save the county some money. The Honore Avenue extension is slated to open later this year.

Currently the next six-lane expansion of I-75 is occurring between River Road and Sumter Boulevard (Exit 182) and is to be completed by 2017.

GCrites

Quote from: Alex on February 21, 2015, 10:55:04 AM
Manatee County commissioners to vote on $32.7 million contract for Fort Hamer Bridge construction

QuoteManatee County staff has recommended that the lowest bidder for construction of the proposed Fort Hamer Bridge be selected.

Johnson Brothers Corp. submitted a bid of $32,690,155.48 with a 630 calendar days for completion, which was the lowest of the seven bids submitted to the county earlier this month.

QuoteThe bridge will span the Manatee River connecting two roads: Upper Manatee River Road on the south side and Fort Hamer Road on the north. When completed, the bridge will create a north-south alternative to Interstate 75 and provide a more-direct route for Parrish residents to go to Lakewood Ranch. Construction is expected to begin in March.

Wow that's huge. All those snowbirds that bought those ranches along Upper Manatee River Rd. road in the '80s when it was super sleepy would be raging out now.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.