News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-77 Extension in S.C.

Started by Grzrd, September 07, 2017, 10:30:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Ghostbuster

The way I see it, the only place an Interstate 77 extension will be built is in Fictional Highways. Maybe Senator Graham should should send his proposal there.

sparker

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on September 18, 2017, 05:09:24 PM
The way I see it, the only place an Interstate 77 extension will be built is in Fictional Highways. Maybe Senator Graham should should send his proposal there.

I realize this comment was meant facetiously -- but I don't think any legislators -- federal or state -- are aware that this forum exists (unless CPZ, Ms. Deane, or even HB have somehow spread the word through their official contacts).  Thus, I would expect Sen. Graham to opine here immediately after spotting a pig streaking through the air in Southwest colors!

brownpelican

The I-77 ideas are downright ridiculous.

The Ghostbuster

Extending Interstate 77 is a pipe dream. Columbia, SC is as far south as the Interstate will ever go.

sparker

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on September 21, 2017, 04:29:01 PM
Extending Interstate 77 is a pipe dream. Columbia, SC is as far south as the Interstate will ever go.

Columbia, SC is as far south as the Interstate will ever need to go!

Ever so slight FTFY.

hotdogPi

Quote from: sparker on September 21, 2017, 04:52:10 PM

Ever so slight FTFY.

The southernmost point is in Cayce.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

sparker

Quote from: 1 on September 21, 2017, 04:57:00 PM
Quote from: sparker on September 21, 2017, 04:52:10 PM

Ever so slight FTFY.

The southernmost point is in Cayce.

OK, fine.......metro/greater Columbia, SC is as far south as the Interstate will need to go!  Whew! 

Buffaboy

Logically, it should continue southward to Savannah
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

kevinb1994

Quote from: Buffaboy on July 01, 2019, 06:11:13 PM
Nah, it should extend into Florida with a connection with I-75 at Gainesville. Possibly via the multi-state 121 corridor.

wriddle082

End this damn thread please.  NIMBY!!!!!

Billy, loyal roadgeek from Pine Ridge, SC who doesn't ask for much, just no unnecessary interstate with the potential to literally run through my back yard!

froggie

^ I'm taking a snapshot of this...😊📸

wriddle082

Quote from: froggie on July 01, 2019, 07:19:55 PM
^ I'm taking a snapshot of this...😊📸

CHEEEEEEEESSSSSSEEEEEE!!!!!!!!😁😁😁

amroad17

The way traffic was on I-95 and I-26 on June 8 and June 15, maybe an extension of I-77 roughly along the US 321 corridor to Hardeeville, SC wouldn't be such a bad idea.  I-77 could interchange I-95 between mm 11 and mm 12.  It could alleviate some of the traffic between Savannah and Columbia.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

sparker

Quote from: amroad17 on July 01, 2019, 11:01:41 PM
The way traffic was on I-95 and I-26 on June 8 and June 15, maybe an extension of I-77 roughly along the US 321 corridor to Hardeeville, SC wouldn't be such a bad idea.  I-77 could interchange I-95 between mm 11 and mm 12.  It could alleviate some of the traffic between Savannah and Columbia.

Just 6-lane I-95 from Savannah to I-26 and I-26 from there to Columbia -- and install a NB 95>WB 26 flyover at that interchange (and 2-lane the opposite direct ramp).  Cost a lot less (little if any ROW to purchase and new towns to bypass on US 321) and will accomplish roughly the same. 

wriddle082

Quote from: sparker on July 01, 2019, 11:21:58 PM
Quote from: amroad17 on July 01, 2019, 11:01:41 PM

Just 6-lane I-95 from Savannah to I-26 and I-26 from there to Columbia -- and install a NB 95>WB 26 flyover at that interchange (and 2-lane the opposite direct ramp).  Cost a lot less (little if any ROW to purchase and new towns to bypass on US 321) and will accomplish roughly the same. 

Yes, what he said, and also work on making improvements to US 321.  The needs of the 321 corridor do not necessarily scream "interstate"  since there is a perfectly good route from Columbia to Savannah that just needs to be improved a bit.

Instead, build an interstate (or improved 4-lane highway) along the US 1 corridor from I-20 at Camden up into NC so there is a better, more direct route from the Columbia area to the Triangle that avoids I-95.

amroad17

^ That would help immensely with the added benefit of cost savings.  I just inserted a possible, albeit fictional, corridor to ponder, if money was available for it (which we know isn't available).  However, will SC ever 6-lane these routes?
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

sparker

Quote from: wriddle082 on July 01, 2019, 11:47:53 PM
.............build an interstate (or improved 4-lane highway) along the US 1 corridor from I-20 at Camden up into NC so there is a better, more direct route from the Columbia area to the Triangle that avoids I-95.

Actually, not a bad idea for a I-95 (or even I-85 for that matter) relief route -- particularly if continued up US 1 to Raleigh.  Since I absolutely despise the I-87 designation for Raleigh-Norfolk, I wouldn't consider it here as an extension of that corridor; probably (and please excuse the detour into Fictional) something like I-28 or I-32.  And who would have thought back before 1995 that Rockingham would have been the focus of so much regional corridor activity! 

VTGoose

Quote from: kevinb1994 on July 01, 2019, 06:56:30 PM
Nah, it should extend into Florida with a connection with I-75 at Gainesville. Possibly via the multi-state 121 corridor.

This is the route that makes sense and serves multiple purposes. Traffic to and from Florida's west coast and I-75 would have a direct connection instead of the I-26/I-95/U.S. 301 or I-4 jog. It would also provide an alternative for traffic to get around Atlanta.
"Get in the fast lane, grandma!  The bingo game is ready to roll!"

wdcrft63

Quote from: sparker on July 02, 2019, 12:17:17 AM
.............build an interstate (or improved 4-lane highway) along the US 1 corridor from I-20 at Camden up into NC so there is a better, more direct route from the Columbia area to the Triangle that avoids I-95.

Actually, not a bad idea for a I-95 (or even I-85 for that matter) relief route -- particularly if continued up US 1 to Raleigh.  Since I absolutely despise the I-87 designation for Raleigh-Norfolk, I wouldn't consider it here as an extension of that corridor; probably (and please excuse the detour into Fictional) something like I-28 or I-32.  And who would have thought back before 1995 that Rockingham would have been the focus of so much regional corridor activity!
NCDOT plans several improvements along US 1, but as a 4-lane divided highway, not as an interstate.

kevinb1994

Quote from: wdcrft63 on July 02, 2019, 05:30:58 PM
Quote from: sparker on July 02, 2019, 12:17:17 AM
NCDOT plans several improvements along US 1, but as a 4-lane divided highway, not as an interstate.
Those interim improvements should help, at least somewhat.

kevinb1994

Quote from: VTGoose on July 02, 2019, 09:40:13 AM
Quote from: kevinb1994 on July 01, 2019, 06:56:30 PM
This is the route that makes sense and serves multiple purposes. Traffic to and from Florida's west coast and I-75 would have a direct connection instead of the I-26/I-95/U.S. 301 or I-4 jog. It would also provide an alternative for traffic to get around Atlanta.
Yes, and it would connect with the pipe dream of a I-22 extension in either Folkston or Hoboken.

tolbs17

It should be extended to Charleston, right? Because that's all I can see where it can go.

sparker

Quote from: mrhappy1261 on July 28, 2019, 01:46:32 AM
It should be extended to Charleston, right? Because that's all I can see where it can go.

That would involve a largely useless multiplex with I-26 to do this.  Considering SC's having problems coming up with $$ for their backlog of projects that actually accomplish something, spending money on a deployment of superfluous signage here would be, to coin a phrase, phenomenally pointless!   Worry about I-73 and the SC 31 extension to the state line, not slapping I-77 signs down onto existing alignments.   

Beltway

How would this improve things over having a properly widened SC I-95 and I-26?
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

VTGoose

Quote from: Beltway on August 06, 2019, 03:52:41 PM
How would this improve things over having a properly widened SC I-95 and I-26?

If it goes straight south (more or less) to Valdosta, it would provide an alternate route to I-95 and I-26 for traffic headed to I-75 and the west coast of Florida.
"Get in the fast lane, grandma!  The bingo game is ready to roll!"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.