News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Massachusetts

Started by hotdogPi, October 12, 2013, 04:50:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vdeane

Quote from: Rothman on March 02, 2024, 04:36:24 PM
Quote from: DrSmith on March 02, 2024, 04:28:11 PM
Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on March 02, 2024, 10:44:16 AM
Quote from: Rothman on March 01, 2024, 06:46:56 AM
Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on March 01, 2024, 05:17:20 AM
With the exception of the Mass. Pike, the Commonwealth's rest areas are below average, IMHO.
That's becoming true in a lot of places, due to intentional disinvestment in rest areas since they're not as necessary as they once were, private businesses consider them competition and transportation funding is limited.

But, the flip side of that is sometimes you get a governor that wants to throw friends/contractors/donors a bone, so the state actually builds Taj Mahal-ish welcome centers and the like in a spurt of construction.

(personal opinion emphasized)

Perhaps service areas with staffed travel kiosks and hotel reservations, etc. might no longer be needed in the digital era. But I do think rest areas with actual facilities are important, as well as more parking areas for the increasing multitude of trucks on our roads and that can be seen parked in the shoulders and in the main travel lane at rest areas. It need not be super-elaborate.

As for off-highway businesses, I recall a news story a while back about a Dunkin Donuts located in Salisbury off of 95 being surprised at all the extra traffic they were getting to use their restroom after the state closed the rest area and pointed them to that Dunkin Donuts. I'm not sure every highway-adjacent business wants to welcome the masses to use their facilities (some of which are no better than the rest areas). If the state wanted to eliminate rest areas altogether, they should at least coordinate with businesses at or near the exits to let them know that people will be coming their way.

Mass could do something like Utah did with private-public rest areas. These were a gas station and convenience stores off an exit. To qualify they had to have sufficient sized bathrooms, not require a purchase, picnic tables, and sufficient parking. I think there were cleanliness and 24/7 operation requirements too. The up side was a gas station advertised as a rest stop.  it would be a compromise and provide facilities while distributing the costs.
I doubt this would fly in NY.  Blue signs for advertising businesses is one thing, where they pay for slots.  Declaring private businesses a rest area would be something NYSDOT would shy away from after the Taste of NY business.
Wasn't the issue with the Taste NY stuff because they were directly on the interstates?  I think DrSmith is describing something like what Vermont has off I-89 at exit 7, which is basically a giant gas station/convenience store (imagine a Sheetz or Rutters without the kiosks) off the exit branded as a "traveler service center".
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Beeper1

Quote from: shadyjay on March 01, 2024, 05:31:53 PM
With the exception of the Mass. Pike, the Commonwealth's rest areas are below average, IMHO.

And the Chelmsford rest area on I-495 NB was rebuilt and open for a few years, then the building was shuttered (something had to been going on here, as Chelmsford-SB's building is still open directly across the highway).  And then there's I-84 EB just over the CT line... old MassHighway maps show this area as having a welcome center at one point.

The Chelmsford one has had the building closed due to some major problem with the water system. Still, the fact that it has been years without repair is stupid.

The area on I-84 was always just a picnic area and has never had a building.  There were plans to possibly build one back in the early 00s but those went nowhere.  The "welcome center" you saw on maps referred to a state info center that was located just off the highway in the now-demolished Sturbridge Isle truck stop that was off Exit 3 (old exit 1). It was where the Pilot truck stop is now.

Add to the embarrassment list the closed/abandoned welcome center on MA-25 approaching the Bourne Bridge.  Even the state's premier tourist region gets a closed and overgrown welcome.  The welcome center in Greenfield off I-91 near the VT line also now shuttered. The building has been completely turned into a DMV branch office and no longer offers even public restrooms.   

Rothman

Quote from: vdeane on March 02, 2024, 04:53:46 PM
Quote from: Rothman on March 02, 2024, 04:36:24 PM
Quote from: DrSmith on March 02, 2024, 04:28:11 PM
Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on March 02, 2024, 10:44:16 AM
Quote from: Rothman on March 01, 2024, 06:46:56 AM
That's becoming true in a lot of places, due to intentional disinvestment in rest areas since they're not as necessary as they once were, private businesses consider them competition and transportation funding is limited.

But, the flip side of that is sometimes you get a governor that wants to throw friends/contractors/donors a bone, so the state actually builds Taj Mahal-ish welcome centers and the like in a spurt of construction.

(personal opinion emphasized)

Perhaps service areas with staffed travel kiosks and hotel reservations, etc. might no longer be needed in the digital era. But I do think rest areas with actual facilities are important, as well as more parking areas for the increasing multitude of trucks on our roads and that can be seen parked in the shoulders and in the main travel lane at rest areas. It need not be super-elaborate.

As for off-highway businesses, I recall a news story a while back about a Dunkin Donuts located in Salisbury off of 95 being surprised at all the extra traffic they were getting to use their restroom after the state closed the rest area and pointed them to that Dunkin Donuts. I'm not sure every highway-adjacent business wants to welcome the masses to use their facilities (some of which are no better than the rest areas). If the state wanted to eliminate rest areas altogether, they should at least coordinate with businesses at or near the exits to let them know that people will be coming their way.

Mass could do something like Utah did with private-public rest areas. These were a gas station and convenience stores off an exit. To qualify they had to have sufficient sized bathrooms, not require a purchase, picnic tables, and sufficient parking. I think there were cleanliness and 24/7 operation requirements too. The up side was a gas station advertised as a rest stop.  it would be a compromise and provide facilities while distributing the costs.
I doubt this would fly in NY.  Blue signs for advertising businesses is one thing, where they pay for slots.  Declaring private businesses a rest area would be something NYSDOT would shy away from after the Taste of NY business.
Wasn't the issue with the Taste NY stuff because they were directly on the interstates?  I think DrSmith is describing something like what Vermont has off I-89 at exit 7, which is basically a giant gas station/convenience store (imagine a Sheetz or Rutters without the kiosks) off the exit branded as a "traveler service center".
Sure, but I don't think NYSDOT is eager to mix private and public anymore, even if it is to slap a rest area sign to direct traffic to private businesses.

Something like the truck stop signage on the Thruway would fly, though.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

pderocco

Major truck stops (which obviously serve more cars than trucks) usually have signs high enough to be seen from the freeway well in advance of their exit. There are many brands that are exclusively truck stops, so when you see a Love's sign, you know it's a place you can eat, get gas, and pee, whether you're driving a Toyota or a Mack. But I don't recall anything resembling that where I grew up in Massachusetts. The brands in roadside service areas were the same as on local roads, so if it was off an exit, you couldn't be sure it was full service.

Ted$8roadFan

Quote from: pderocco on March 02, 2024, 09:53:26 PM
Major truck stops (which obviously serve more cars than trucks) usually have signs high enough to be seen from the freeway well in advance of their exit. There are many brands that are exclusively truck stops, so when you see a Love's sign, you know it's a place you can eat, get gas, and pee, whether you're driving a Toyota or a Mack. But I don't recall anything resembling that where I grew up in Massachusetts. The brands in roadside service areas were the same as on local roads, so if it was off an exit, you couldn't be sure it was full service.

The state could definitely use more truck stops. Of course, high land costs and (likely) community opposition make them hard to build.

Ted$8roadFan

Quote from: pderocco on March 02, 2024, 09:53:26 PM

The state could definitely benefit from some well-located truck stops. However, high real estate costs and (likely) community opposition make them hard to construct. 

shadyjay

I had an idea for back when CT was thinking of closing all their non-commercial rest areas on I-84, I-91 and I-95... build slightly-off-highway "travel plazas" that are similar to a service plaza, but just off the highway.  Multiple food vendors, convenience store, and fuel services.  You wouldn't have to rely 100% on interstate traffic to bring business in, as they'd be accessible from the surface road.  This would've filled some gaps on I-91 and I-95. 

As far as Mass, I'd fix Chelmsford-NB, rebuild Mansfield-NB, do something with one of the ones by the Cape (there's one on I-195 just before I-495/MA 25 and there's one a few miles away on MA 25), and have something for I-91 in the Greenfield area.  Bernardston-SB is too small for a welcome center.  There's more than enough room at Sturbridge-EB but that's just a few miles from both Sturbridge Isle and the Charlton plaza.  But obviously if they wanted a welcome center in the area, they'd reopen that house at the entrance to Charlton-EB.

bob7374

Took a road trip this past weekend to check out new signage along US 3 between Burlington and the NH border and along US 1 South between Lynnfield and Chelsea.  For US 3, here's another one of the APL signs for I-95:

For US 1, here's the new signage at the exit of MA 99 South:

All photos can be found, first for US 3, at: https://malmeroads.net/mass21c/miscsigns.html
or go to the US 1 signs directly at https://malmeroads.net/mass21c/miscsigns.html#us1signs

bob7374

Massachusetts has advertised its next two sign replacement projects, winning bid to be announced on April 30:

Location: BEVERLY - DANVERS - GLOUCESTER - MANCHESTER BY THE SEA - PEABODY - WENHAM
Description: Guide and Traffic Sign Replacement on Route 128
District: 4 Ad Date: 3/16/2024 Section Response: Const Project Value: $2,258,825.00
CDs, Plans & Specs Available: No
Federal Aid No.: HSI-003S(724)X Project Number: 609058 Project Type: Signing - Structural
No. of Addendums: 0 Date of Last Addendum: N/A

Location: DARTMOUTH - FAIRHAVEN - MARION - MATTAPOISETT - NEW BEDFORD - WAREHAM
Description: Guide and Traffic Sign Replacement on a Section of Interstate 195
District: 5 Ad Date: 3/16/2024 Section Response: Const Project Value: $6,763,675.50
Federal Aid No.: HSI-1955(261)X Project Number: 613193 Project Type: Signing - Structural

mariethefoxy

Quote from: bob7374 on March 16, 2024, 11:09:57 AM
Massachusetts has advertised its next two sign replacement projects, winning bid to be announced on April 30:

Location: BEVERLY - DANVERS - GLOUCESTER - MANCHESTER BY THE SEA - PEABODY - WENHAM
Description: Guide and Traffic Sign Replacement on Route 128
District: 4 Ad Date: 3/16/2024 Section Response: Const Project Value: $2,258,825.00
Federal Aid No.: HSI-003S(724)X Project Number: 609058 Project Type: Signing - Structural

Location: DARTMOUTH - FAIRHAVEN - MARION - MATTAPOISETT - NEW BEDFORD - WAREHAM
Description: Guide and Traffic Sign Replacement on a Section of Interstate 195
District: 5 Ad Date: 3/16/2024 Section Response: Const Project Value: $6,763,675.50
Federal Aid No.: HSI-1955(261)X Project Number: 613193 Project Type: Signing - Structural

Doesn't both of those sections already have the new gen signs with the bigger exit tabs?

shadyjay

Yup... we're repeating now!

Only integrated exit tabs left in Mass on the mainlines are I-195 in Fall River (still).

southshore720

Quote from: shadyjay on March 16, 2024, 11:35:36 PM

Only integrated exit tabs left in Mass on the mainlines are I-195 in Fall River (still).
And I-95 NB approaching I-93 in Canton.  Apparently waiting for the new I-93/I-95 flyovers that we will never see in our lifetimes.

SectorZ

https://www.wcvb.com/article/massachusetts-structurally-deficient-bridges/60245711

A new story with map of all the structurally deficient bridges in the state. All the ones along 495 in the Merrimack Valley are pretty self-evident with the eyeball test. The overpass over MA 38 has emergency repairs going on right now.

shadyjay

Quote from: southshore720 on March 19, 2024, 11:12:32 AM
Quote from: shadyjay on March 16, 2024, 11:35:36 PM

And I-95 NB approaching I-93 in Canton.  Apparently waiting for the new I-93/I-95 flyovers that we will never see in our lifetimes.

Yup, there's those... and a couple on Rt 128 portions of I-95 and [I-93].  And one at the beginning of I-395 SB in Auburn. 

Which brings me to my next question....

Is there/what is there for a plan for the I-90/I-290/I-395 interchange in Auburn?  Sure its low on the priority list (when you look at I-90 Allston, I-95/I-93 interchanges, etc), but one which needs some work.  Not sure how to exactly fix it, as space is really tight around it.  You may be able to sneak in a direct I-395 North to I-90 East ramp, and perhaps make the I-290 WB exit to I-90 2 lanes (getting rid of the exit ramps to MA 12 in the process).   But wonder if there's ever been a plan to help out this entanglement of ramps, and what it would be.

Beeper1

I'm not aware of any plans to re-design that giant knot of an interchange.   Yes, 395 NB to 90 EB might be do-able, but that connection is not really your main issue.  The long, winding connections and weaving needed for 90 EB to 290 and for 290 to 90 WB are the main problem, traffic-wise.  And I don't really know what you could do about that without taking tons of extra real estate that is already heavily developed.

pderocco

Quote from: SectorZ on March 19, 2024, 05:19:41 PM
https://www.wcvb.com/article/massachusetts-structurally-deficient-bridges/60245711

A new story with map of all the structurally deficient bridges in the state. All the ones along 495 in the Merrimack Valley are pretty self-evident with the eyeball test. The overpass over MA 38 has emergency repairs going on right now.
Wow. Practically every bridge over the Mass Pike Extension in downtown is deficient. I hope the Pru doesn't fall over.

bob7374

MassDOT has advertised another sign replacement contract, this at the southern end of I-495:

Bid Opening: 5/21/2024 2:00PM
Description: Guide and Traffic Sign Replacement on a Section of Interstate 495
District: 5 Ad Date: 3/30/2024 Section Response: Const Project Value: $5,394,153.00
Federal Aid No.: HSI-4955(085)X Project Number: 613194 Project Type: Signing - Structural

Meanwhile, according to the project progress listings, they have started installing ground level signage on MA 25 and overhead signage on I-295 North.

bob7374

MassDOT has published its Draft 2050 Transportation Plan "Beyond Mobility." It is available at:
https://www.mass.gov/beyond-mobility

The site includes a public comment link, open through May 5.

pderocco

Quote from: bob7374 on April 01, 2024, 12:12:12 PMMassDOT has published its Draft 2050 Transportation Plan "Beyond Mobility." It is available at:

All I can say, after reading the Executive Summary, is sell your car while you can still get decent money for it. They're imagining a world of public transit, bicycles, and pedestrians, and that's about it.

bmitchelf

Quote from: pderocco on April 01, 2024, 05:24:40 PM
Quote from: bob7374 on April 01, 2024, 12:12:12 PMMassDOT has published its Draft 2050 Transportation Plan "Beyond Mobility." It is available at:

All I can say, after reading the Executive Summary, is sell your car while you can still get decent money for it. They're imagining a world of public transit, bicycles, and pedestrians, and that's about it.

It's unrealistic outside of large population centers.

Stephane Dumas

I saw then MA-116 bypass partially the town of Amherst and that bypass ended at MA-9. Did MASS Dot have some plans to extent that bypass once and being cancelled by Nimbys and/or lack of funds?

Rothman

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on April 04, 2024, 08:37:48 PMI saw then MA-116 bypass partially the town of Amherst and that bypass ended at MA-9. Did MASS Dot have some plans to extent that bypass once and being cancelled by Nimbys and/or lack of funds?

No.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Plutonic Panda

That is absolutely hilarious that the Department designed to facilitate mobility initiates of program called beyond mobility. We are moving towards the cyberpunk type society.

SectorZ

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on April 04, 2024, 09:56:57 PMThat is absolutely hilarious that the Department designed to facilitate mobility initiates of program called beyond mobility. We are moving towards the cyberpunk type society.

The state's government is just stuck in a perpetual loop of using nonsense buzzwords for anything. At this point they're not even attempting to govern for everyone, it's just whatever special interest groups they want to pander to, and in some cases (like cyclists) they give stuff they don't even want because they only cater to the extremist subset within them.

Ted$8roadFan

Quote from: Rothman on April 04, 2024, 08:41:10 PM
Quote from: Stephane Dumas on April 04, 2024, 08:37:48 PMI saw then MA-116 bypass partially the town of Amherst and that bypass ended at MA-9. Did MASS Dot have some plans to extent that bypass once and being cancelled by Nimbys and/or lack of funds?

No.

IIRC, the MA-116 bypass was actually constructed before the anti-highway backlash of the late-1960s, I think even before UMass's massive expansion. So if MassDOT actually had expansion plans, they could have done so with impunity.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.