News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Massachusetts

Started by hotdogPi, October 12, 2013, 04:50:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AMLNet49

I haven't kept close enough watch on the AET thing. So this is going to turn the Mass Pike into a open system? I assumed they would just replace every toll booth on the ramps with AET facilities and continue the current closed system.

PHLBOS

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on January 10, 2016, 02:47:06 PM
Found this on Sturbridge FD's Facebook page this morning.  The MA 15 legacy is apparently alive and well.

At 3:59, Public Safety Dispatcher Tyler Bresse received a 911 call reporting flames from a room at the Publick House motor lodges off Haynes Street/Route 15.
A second alarm was immediately struck, followed by a third alarm at 4:15 bring in multiple area fire departments mutual aid for building search and firefighting operations.
All parties staying at the lodge were safely evacuated while fire suppression operations were underway.
At 4:59 a fourth alarm was struck for man power bringing in personnel to relieve firefighters already working the fire scene.
Shortly after 5am all personnel were cleared from the building due to structural compromise and all firefighting activity moved to an exterior operation.
There are currently over 10 agencies working the fire scene.
If one gets a receipt from the Pilot station along Haynes (near I-84's Exit 1); it will list the address as Route 15.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

vdeane

Unfortunately the MassPike is indeed becoming an open system.  10 barriers across the system.  No toll to travel the exits near Springfield.  IMO closed systems are more convenient.  Just one line on that E-ZPass statement, not up to 10.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

jp the roadgeek

Sounds like the trip between I-290/395 and MA 146 is a freebie too.  Easy way to get from Auburn to the Southwest Cutoff if you're taking US 20
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

AMLNet49

Damn, I guess I'm gonna have to affix my EZPass to my windshield now. Currently I pull it out only at toll gates and otherwise keep it in the metallic pouch. I don't really want that adhesive on my windshield.

SidS1045

Quote from: cl94 on January 10, 2016, 05:09:27 PM
[So there aren't any between Exits 4 and 7?

According to MassDOT's map, and assuming no changes since that map was published, the AET collection points are:

West Stockbridge, near exit 1
Blandford, between exits 2 and 3
Westfield, just east of exit 3
Ludlow, between exits 7 and 8
Warren, between exits 8 and 9
Charlton, between exits 9 and 10
Hopkinton, between exits 11 and 11A
Southborough, between exits 11A and 12
Framingham, between exits 12 and 13
Weston, between exits 13 and 14/15
Newtonville, between exits 16 and 17
Brighton, between exits 17 and 18/19/20
Allston, just east of exits 18/19/20
South Boston (Ted Williams Tunnel EB)
East Boston (Ted Williams Tunnel WB)
East Boston (Sumner Tunnel entrance on MA 1A)

The collection points are contrived to allow toll-free local trips in the Springfield (exits 4-7) and Worcester (exits 10-11) areas.  In Boston, not so much.  A commuter entering at exit 12, on their way to downtown Boston (a commonly made trip from MetroWest), would pass five collection points.  Someone entering the Pike from 128, another common trip, would pass three collection points on their way to downtown Boston.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

Alps

Quote from: SidS1045 on January 10, 2016, 08:59:32 PM
Quote from: cl94 on January 10, 2016, 05:09:27 PM
[So there aren't any between Exits 4 and 7?

According to MassDOT's map, and assuming no changes since that map was published, the AET collection points are:

West Stockbridge, near exit 1
Blandford, between exits 2 and 3
Westfield, just east of exit 3
Ludlow, between exits 7 and 8
Warren, between exits 8 and 9
Charlton, between exits 9 and 10
Hopkinton, between exits 11 and 11A
Southborough, between exits 11A and 12
Framingham, between exits 12 and 13
Weston, between exits 13 and 14/15
Newtonville, between exits 16 and 17
Brighton, between exits 17 and 18/19/20
Allston, just east of exits 18/19/20
South Boston (Ted Williams Tunnel EB)
East Boston (Ted Williams Tunnel WB)
East Boston (Sumner Tunnel entrance on MA 1A)

The collection points are contrived to allow toll-free local trips in the Springfield (exits 4-7) and Worcester (exits 10-11) areas.  In Boston, not so much.  A commuter entering at exit 12, on their way to downtown Boston (a commonly made trip from MetroWest), would pass five collection points.  Someone entering the Pike from 128, another common trip, would pass three collection points on their way to downtown Boston.
So much for my old cheat of Storrow->Newton, onto the Pike to MA 16, then down to 9. Not sure that's actually faster than just taking 9, anyway.

bob7374

I took a quick road trip on Sunday along part of the I-95/128 corridor. I checked out some of the new guide or paddle signs installed as part of the renovation of the University Ave/RR Station exit in Westwood. I also checked out progress on the Add-A-Lane project in the Needham area. Clearing the area for bridge work in the MA 9 area has removed the existing overhead BGSs that were replaced by temporary signage.

All of the photos can  be reached through my I-95 in Mass. photo page. Click on the link at the top to get to the Add-A-Lane photos:
http://www.gribblenation.net/mass21/i95photos.html

kefkafloyd

RIP the center-tab Exit 1N sign; as of yesterday all of the remaining signs are up on the Lowell connector. There is still a gantry of old signs that needs to be taken down on Industrial ave, but the new signs are directly behind them and will probably be removed in the next few days.

southshore720

Quote from: bob7374 on January 11, 2016, 08:30:44 PM
I took a quick road trip on Sunday along part of the I-95/128 corridor. I checked out some of the new guide or paddle signs installed as part of the renovation of the University Ave/RR Station exit in Westwood. I also checked out progress on the Add-A-Lane project in the Needham area. Clearing the area for bridge work in the MA 9 area has removed the existing overhead BGSs that were replaced by temporary signage.

All of the photos can  be reached through my I-95 in Mass. photo page. Click on the link at the top to get to the Add-A-Lane photos:
http://www.gribblenation.net/mass21/i95photos.html

Will Kendrick St. become the new Exit 19A and Highland Ave. become Exits 19B-C?  Is Kendrick St. only accessible from 95/128 SB?

bob7374

Quote from: southshore720 on January 14, 2016, 11:23:12 PM
Quote from: bob7374 on January 11, 2016, 08:30:44 PM

Will Kendrick St. become the new Exit 19A and Highland Ave. become Exits 19B-C?  Is Kendrick St. only accessible from 95/128 SB?
On the map at the project website the Kendrick St. exit is labeled 19A (though by the time it is completed next fall, the number could be 35A), the Highland Avenue exit is not labeled. Kendrick St. will be accessible from both directions with a C/D ramp built between Kendrick St. and Highland Ave. There will be a new flyover ramp that will take traffic from Kendrick St. to I-95 North. Hard to tell if southbound traffic from Highland Ave. will be able to access I-95 directly or only from the new on-ramp from Kendrick St.

The MassDOT website: http://www.massdot.state.ma.us/highway/HighlightedProjects/NeedhamWellesleyI95AddALane.aspx

bob7374

Over the weekend MassDOT posted an advertisement for bids on the next sign replacement contract along I-495 from Raynham to Bolton (Current Exits 8 to 27/ Future Exits 22 to 70), Project Number 606620. The winning bidder is to be announced March 8.

The contract page is up, but nothing for now, except the general notice to contractors: https://www.commbuys.com/bso/external/bidDetail.sdo?docId=BD-16-1030-0H100-0H002-00000006897&external=true&parentUrl=bid

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Alps on January 10, 2016, 11:48:57 PM
So much for my old cheat of Storrow->Newton, onto the Pike to MA 16, then down to 9. Not sure that's actually faster than just taking 9, anyway.

I don't think it is unless there's an exceptional backup on the Mass Pike.  I got off at 128 to 16 back to the Pike (and off at Newton Corner to Nonantum Road) a few times when I lived in Allston.  Cheaper toll at 128, but negligible enough not to go fussing around with traffic lights and slower roads.

Pete from Boston

Just noticed yesterday that the neat little drawbridge ("Woods Memorial Bridge") that carries Route 16 over the Malden River is being replaced.  It's in rough shape and apparently hasn't opened in 30 years.

http://www.mhd.state.ma.us/ProjectInfo/Main.asp?ACTION=ViewProject&PROJECT_NO=604660

All that seems to have happened so far is some land clearance north of the approaches, and some lane narrowing.

kkt

Quote from: Pete from Boston on February 05, 2016, 01:12:32 PM
Just noticed yesterday that the neat little drawbridge ("Woods Memorial Bridge") that carries Route 16 over the Malden River is being replaced.  It's in rough shape and apparently hasn't opened in 30 years.

http://www.mhd.state.ma.us/ProjectInfo/Main.asp?ACTION=ViewProject&PROJECT_NO=604660

All that seems to have happened so far is some land clearance north of the approaches, and some lane narrowing.

That bridge looks very much like the drawbridges over Seattle's ship canal -- Ballard, Fremont, University and Montlake Bridges.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: kkt on February 05, 2016, 01:57:17 PM
Quote from: Pete from Boston on February 05, 2016, 01:12:32 PM

That bridge looks very much like the drawbridges over Seattle's ship canal -- Ballard, Fremont, University and Montlake Bridges.

The very short Malden River is basically a glorified canal at this point, and a disused one at that, hence the replacement of this bridge with a fixed span.

mroad860

I've been reading here about the "paddle sign" replacements.. And I have not seen one yet in my travels through Massachusetts.. Are they really getting rid of the paddles? And what about the town line signs? Please don't tell me they are getting rid of those! I think Massachusetts' road signs are full of personality and help give the state its unique character.. I don't see them causing any harm.. We get around Mass just fine with them..

PHLBOS

Quote from: mroad860 on February 15, 2016, 11:30:00 PM
I've been reading here about the "paddle sign" replacements.. And I have not seen one yet in my travels through Massachusetts.. Are they really getting rid of the paddles? And what about the town line signs? Please don't tell me they are getting rid of those! I think Massachusetts' road signs are full of personality and help give the state its unique character.. I don't see them causing any harm.. We get around Mass just fine with them..
I haven't heard anything regarding the town border Book-Leaf paddle signs (Roadman can chime in on this) design being changed.

There are a couple examples of the new D6/D8 LGS style presently (featuring mixed-case control city/destination lettering) out there.

Along MA 113 eastbound near I-95 interchange.  Note the foundation remnants of a larger BGS installation that was replaced with the current LGS' in response to residences complaining about the size of the larger signs (i.e. a bit overkill for a residential street).

Scroll down to 9/29/15 photo showing new D6 LGS along MA 16 at I-95 South on-ramp
GPS does NOT equal GOD

roadman

At this time, MassDOT has no plans to change the design of the 'bookleaf' town line signs used on secondary state highways.  As for the D6/D8 'paddle' guide signs, MassDOT is still finalizing the new design standards, which are expected to be similar to the sign on MA 16 at I-95 south (extruded panel on steel beam post).  This will allow the use of larger mixed case legends (8"/6") on these signs, which is now not possible with many legends due to the limited sizes of the sheet aluminum panels traditionally specified for D6 and D8 signs.

For now, MassDOT has issued interim design guidelines allowing for the use of mixed-case legends on D6 and D8 signs in limited circumstances.  In summary, mixed case legends are to be used on new signs if the legends can be reasonably fit on standard size blanks mounted to either tubular posts ("paddle" mounting) or single steel beam posts, and if all signs at a given location are able to be upgraded to the larger mixed-case legends.  For now, D6 and D8 signs that are replaced as 'one-offs', such as through accident recovery or the District maintenance contracts, will be replaced with signs retaining the all uppercase legends.

Clear as mud, right?  Now, would anyone like me to explain the purpose of the blue lines in hockey (old Mad Magazine routine)?
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

The Ghostbuster

Here is something I have always found interesting. Why do SR 24 and SR 128 have service areas when the roads were never tolled?

cl94

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on February 16, 2016, 04:09:31 PM
Here is something I have always found interesting. Why do SR 24 and SR 128 have service areas when the roads were never tolled?

Because they were built before the Interstate system. Several expressways and parkways in New York (including I-87 in the Bronx) have (or in most cases, had) service areas and they were mostly free roads.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

The Ghostbuster

I am aware that the expressways and parkways of New York had gas station service areas. Most of them were torn down in the late 1970's, and only a few remain (Belt, Grand Central, Hutchinson River, Major Deegan, Palisades Interstate in NJ).

Pete from Boston

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on February 16, 2016, 05:07:40 PM
I am aware that the expressways and parkways of New York had gas station service areas. Most of them were torn down in the late 1970's, and only a few remain (Belt, Grand Central, Hutchinson River, Major Deegan, Palisades Interstate in NJ).

Palisades Parkway in New York, too (including one turned into a bookstore).

PurdueBill

Quote from: PHLBOS on February 16, 2016, 01:10:04 PM
I haven't heard anything regarding the town border Book-Leaf paddle signs (Roadman can chime in on this) design being changed.

There are a couple examples of the new D6/D8 LGS style presently (featuring mixed-case control city/destination lettering) out there.

Along MA 113 eastbound near I-95 interchange.  Note the foundation remnants of a larger BGS installation that was replaced with the current LGS' in response to residences complaining about the size of the larger signs (i.e. a bit overkill for a residential street).

Scroll down to 9/29/15 photo showing new D6 LGS along MA 16 at I-95 South on-ramp

Boo hiss on the loss of one of the few signs with 95 in text (not in a shield) to still remain when the gigantic BGS were installed, only to be replaced by the sorry paddle sign replacements.  :D  Sorry, I'm a paddle sign appreciator.  (Old google street view shows the old text sign, not completely unique but pretty rare even then.)

PHLBOS

Quote from: PurdueBill on February 16, 2016, 10:20:45 PMBoo hiss on the loss of one of the few signs with 95 in text (not in a shield) to still remain when the gigantic BGS were installed, only to be replaced by the sorry paddle sign replacements.  :D  Sorry, I'm a paddle sign appreciator.  (Old google street view shows the old text sign, not completely unique but pretty rare even then.)
Here's one from 1977 (lower/D8 panel) that's still there.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.