News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Garden State Parkway

Started by Roadrunner75, July 30, 2014, 09:53:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

Quote from: PurdueBill on August 07, 2014, 12:02:49 AM
Quote from: bzakharin on August 06, 2014, 09:08:20 AM
Why is the order 131A, 131B, 131 anyway? That doesn't make any sense. I would guess they were numbered in the order in which they were opened. Even if 131 opened first, why was it numbered 131 if the mile marker is beyond 132? Were the miles realigned? Was the exit moved?

Reminds me of the old Ohio Turnpike exit numbers going 2, 3, 3B, 3A, 4.  Exit 3A was added between 3 and 4, then 3B between 3 and 3A. 
The exit on I-275 for Dale Mabry in Tampa had a similar situation back in the sequential exit numbering days where the A suffixed exit was the one for EB US 92 (NB Dale) and the B was for US 92 WB (SB Dale) where the A was farther away from the southern terminus where the exit numbers themselves go down.

Also FDOT District 5 thought of numbering the Saxton Boulevard Interchange with double suffixes.  EB Saxton was Exit 53CA and WB Saxton was Exit 53CB.  I wrote FDOT about it and they said because the exit was indeed Exit 53C having two separate ramps needed the extra alphabet soup.  However, it would have made more sense to just use Exit 53 A for EB and Exit 53 B for WB as there was already a Exit 53 for nearby Dirkson Drive.  You would have it as Exit 53, Exit 53A and Exit 53 B all in a row.  D5 always loved to skip A and B as well on I-95 as Palm Coast was Exit 91C and not Exit 91A as it should have been.

Thank God for milepost numbering as it is now all straight except for EB Kaley Street in Orlando having both Exit 81 A and Exit 81 B for the same exit ramp to be consistent with the two separate ramps WB for both directions which are respectively Exit 81 C for WB Kaley and Exit 81 B for EB Kaley.   Plus WB Michigan Street in which EB I-4 has no ramp for is Exit 81 A it is not that simple to just make it just plain ole Exit 81. With this added factor and being that ramp serves both directions from EB I-4 it needs to have two suffixes.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

froggie

QuoteThe exit numbers are all off from about 123 through 161. 120 and 163 are spot-on. Miles are almost 2 off from exits through Essex Co. Never figured out why.

I've heard/read in the past that this was to minimize the need for suffixed exit numbers.

Roadrunner75

I wonder what the plan will be for exit numbering at 88 and 89 once they finish the widening work in that area.  They are building new C/D lanes that will serve both these exits.  Through traffic is actually currently using the new C/D lane roadways and bridges over NJ 70 while the bridges on the mainline are being replaced.  When construction is complete, the current SB 89 exit and tolls will serve both 88 and 89, while there will be a new NB exit for 88 and 89 as well (finally!).  Do they plan to sign both exits (NB and SB) as a single exit, or sign the exits for both 88 and 89?  I've seen plenty of situations with either scenario.  At 98, multiple ramps from the C/D roads are signed as a single exit.

Alps

Quote from: froggie on August 07, 2014, 07:22:29 AM
QuoteThe exit numbers are all off from about 123 through 161. 120 and 163 are spot-on. Miles are almost 2 off from exits through Essex Co. Never figured out why.

I've heard/read in the past that this was to minimize the need for suffixed exit numbers.
Okay, so drop every number starting at 123 by one.

roadman65

The numbers 138, 139, and 140 they did to avoid the suffixes as Mile 140 is at Exit 138.  All three of these exits are less than a mile apart, so I can see, but Exit 123 has no conflict.  Like Alps says it is not an issue there.

As far as Exit 131A goes, it was opened in 1975 even though Metropark was opened sooner.  I remember seeing the exit opened for the first time on a 4th Grade Class Trip to Rutgers Farm in New Brunswick.  It had small green signs then as the overheads were added by NJDOT in 1980 when the Parkway was widened from 6 overall lanes to 8. 

Exit 131B was created from when the NB Exit 131A was built in 1986.  The numbers were shifted as Exit 131B was the original 131A.  Southbound 131A was there before the trumpet was built but only slip ramps to Wood Avenue to and from the south.

Yes the numbers are off there and I agree should have been done much better.

Sheryl Crowe

bzakharin

Quote from: roadman65 on August 08, 2014, 08:52:53 AM
The numbers 138, 139, and 140 they did to avoid the suffixes as Mile 140 is at Exit 138.  All three of these exits are less than a mile apart, so I can see, but Exit 123 has no conflict.  Like Alps says it is not an issue there.

As far as Exit 131A goes, it was opened in 1975 even though Metropark was opened sooner.  I remember seeing the exit opened for the first time on a 4th Grade Class Trip to Rutgers Farm in New Brunswick.  It had small green signs then as the overheads were added by NJDOT in 1980 when the Parkway was widened from 6 overall lanes to 8. 

Exit 131B was created from when the NB Exit 131A was built in 1986.  The numbers were shifted as Exit 131B was the original 131A.  Southbound 131A was there before the trumpet was built but only slip ramps to Wood Avenue to and from the south.

If 131A was changed to 131B, why couldn't they change 131 to 131C at the same time, as long as they were already doing renumbering? Or 132 if they didn't want to have different numbers, or missing exits (131C and A southbound with no B) NB vs SB?

roadman65

Quote from: bzakharin on August 08, 2014, 10:45:11 AM

If 131A was changed to 131B, why couldn't they change 131 to 131C at the same time, as long as they were already doing renumbering? Or 132 if they didn't want to have different numbers, or missing exits (131C and A southbound with no B) NB vs SB?
That is a good question.  It is just a good question is why is US 22 signed Exit 140 going NB and 140A going SB or even why there is no A-B-C altogether like at at Exits 38, 63, and 82?  You have an exit at those locations without suffix and the the others with an A suffix when other highways would be 38 A & B, 63 A & B, and 82 A & B.

Sheryl Crowe

Alps

The Parkway is slowly fixing its suffixes. It's not changing numbers, but for example, Exits 80 and 80A are now 80A and 80B. Exits 142 and 142A are now 142 A-B-C.

storm2k

I would love to see some pictures of this.

Roadrunner75

Quote from: Alps on August 08, 2014, 06:29:34 PM
The Parkway is slowly fixing its suffixes. It's not changing numbers, but for example, Exits 80 and 80A are now 80A and 80B. Exits 142 and 142A are now 142 A-B-C.
Do you mean exit 38? (AC Expressway).  I was looking to see if 82/82A (Route 37) were getting their suffixes updated, but nothing yet.  As much as the people on this forum would like to see this kind of thing cleaned up (admittedly myself included), I could see it being a big problem for local businesses who have their marketing materials (directions) based on the current exit numbers, not to mention the cost of changing the signage.  Also, New Yorkers/North Jerseyites heading for Seaside (to be filmed for MTV starting fights on the boardwalk) will flood downtown Toms River at exit 81 when they get 'recalculated' by their GPS units. 

DeaconG

They should do what Florida did when it renumbered their interstates; just put a small sign on the top left of the BGS with the old exit number on it, as in "Old Exit 81".
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

signalman

Quote from: DeaconG on August 10, 2014, 02:59:05 PM
They should do what Florida did when it renumbered their interstates; just put a small sign on the top left of the BGS with the old exit number on it, as in "Old Exit 81".
NJDOT did use signs like that when they renumbered exits.  However, it was worded "Formerly Exit 25" (or whatever the old exit number was).  I am assuming NJTPC will opt for similar signs when a renumbering takes place.

storm2k

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on August 10, 2014, 01:05:08 PM
Do you mean exit 38? (AC Expressway).  I was looking to see if 82/82A (Route 37) were getting their suffixes updated, but nothing yet.  As much as the people on this forum would like to see this kind of thing cleaned up (admittedly myself included), I could see it being a big problem for local businesses who have their marketing materials (directions) based on the current exit numbers, not to mention the cost of changing the signage.  Also, New Yorkers/North Jerseyites heading for Seaside (to be filmed for MTV starting fights on the boardwalk) will flood downtown Toms River at exit 81 when they get 'recalculated' by their GPS units. 

Drove down to Toms River today. 82 and 82A are still the same. Even looks like some new BGS's have been put up with all the widening projects going on south of 91.

jakeroot

Quote from: storm2k on August 11, 2014, 01:46:46 AM

Drove down to Toms River today. 82 and 82A are still the same. Even looks like some new BGS's have been put up with all the widening projects going on south of 91.

Ah yes, Toms River . . .

Sorry, I know it's not related to the GSP, but it's always the first thing I think of when I think of Toms River (which is rare).

Roadrunner75

Quote from: jake on August 11, 2014, 03:31:47 AM
Ah yes, Toms River . . .

Sorry, I know it's not related to the GSP, but it's always the first thing I think of when I think of Toms River (which is rare).

Yes - by the mall.  In New Jersey we'll take our cloverleaf interchanges with or without bridges in the middle.

With respect to Toms River and changing the GSP suffixes at 82, the township already went through a name change a few years ago from Dover Township.  It passed the vote, with the township implying that the costs would be minimal such as updating some stationery (I thought of all those police cars and Twp. vehicles with 'Dover Township' on them, not to mention all the businesses having to deal with it as well...)  Change the suffixes and there's going to be some businesses feeling like the Italian souvenir seller in Superman III, with his Leaning Tower of Pisa statues....

Alps

Do you mean exit 38? (AC Expressway).
Maybe I meant 63 and 63A. Something in that area of the shore.

Roadrunner75

I was reminded recently of the "tollbooth graveyard" that is on the side of the NB GSP lanes right before the Asbury tolls, shown here:
https://www.google.com/maps?ll=40.249091,-74.081659&spn=0.000002,0.001635&t=h&z=20&layer=c&cbll=40.249198,-74.081891&panoid=2yFT93Wo2zd-LVMmS3oBkg&cbp=12,60.34,,1,-0.53
There is an interesting article about this that I remembered reading in the Star Ledger from 2012, with some photos here:
http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2012/03/as_fully_electronic_tolling_lo.html
How soon before I see these on Ebay?

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on August 13, 2014, 10:36:20 PM
I was reminded recently of the "tollbooth graveyard" that is on the side of the NB GSP lanes right before the Asbury tolls, shown here:
https://www.google.com/maps?ll=40.249091,-74.081659&spn=0.000002,0.001635&t=h&z=20&layer=c&cbll=40.249198,-74.081891&panoid=2yFT93Wo2zd-LVMmS3oBkg&cbp=12,60.34,,1,-0.53

When you go out of GSV and into satalite mode, you see a big parking lot, which is now used by 1 or 2 vehicles.  The toll plaza, once about 15 lanes wide with maybe half or more of those lanes staffed, only needs  1 or 2 manned lanes anymore.  The EZ Pass effect. :-)

roadman65

Exits 142 is now 142 A-B-C?  What is the NB US 22 exit 142A and B is for NJ 82 Westbound on the SB side with 142C being the SB US 22 ramp?

Also why is US 22 EB directed via the ramp for US 22 WB and navigating the NJ 82 off and on ramps instead of using Exit 141 and Vauxhall Road?  Going WB to NB the GSP northbound motorists are directed off of US 22 WB at Vauxhall Road, so why not do the opposite maneuver here?  In fact I believe it once was as back in the 80's as the control city for the US 22 EB ramp from EB Vauxhall Road had both "Newark Airport & New York" as other US 22 EB ramps always used "New York" in that general area.  Plus an old AAA exit directory guide from 1960 did refer to Exit 141 as being Vauxhall Road- To US 22 East- Union- Newark Airport, as I saw it as a youngster in my dad's belongings.

Sheryl Crowe

Alps

Quote from: roadman65 on September 02, 2014, 12:22:26 PM
gibberish

The first paragraph of your "opinions" are wrong. The second paragraph is also wrong. You should look at a map and only post facts, Richard Bullis.

roadman65

Quote from: Alps on September 02, 2014, 07:54:50 PM
gibberish

The first paragraph of your "opinions" are wrong. The second paragraph is also wrong. You should look at a map and only post facts, Richard Bullis.
I got my exit numbers wrong just like you did as well in a previous post.  Sorry I am only human.

Anyway, in the second paragraph it is fact that US 22 east is signed from Exit 140 A and required that you u turn to US 22 East from US 22 West via NJ 82.  The 140A ramp is only for US 22 WB not for both directions. 

Also US 22 WB to NB GSP is directed via Vauxhall Road! That is not IMO, but fact easily proven by going to GSV.

Sheryl Crowe

DeaconG

Does anyone have any information of the current status of the Parkway interchange construction between exits 5 and 13?
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

Roadrunner75

Quote from: DeaconG on September 03, 2014, 05:18:05 PM
Does anyone have any information of the current status of the Parkway interchange construction between exits 5 and 13?
We're due for one of our Cape May day trips now that it's entering the off-season, so I should be able to report back sometime soon.  Just looking at GSV, the image dates of October of last year in the "exit" 10 and 11 vicinity look pretty much like I remember it most recently, with the lane shifts toward the outside to start grading for the overpasses.  I'm curious myself about the progress.

NJRoadfan

I was there a week ago. The southbound sides of all the overpasses are done, but no traffic shifts have taken place.

Alps

Quote from: roadman65 on September 03, 2014, 09:54:33 AM
Quote from: Alps on September 02, 2014, 07:54:50 PM
gibberish

I got my exit numbers wrong just like you did as well in a previous post.  Sorry I am only human.

Anyway, in the second paragraph it is fact that US 22 east is signed from Exit 140 A and required that you u turn to US 22 East from US 22 West via NJ 82.  The 140A ramp is only for US 22 WB not for both directions. 

Also US 22 WB to NB GSP is directed via Vauxhall Road! That is not IMO, but fact easily proven by going to GSV.
Let's go...
GSP NB, you take the one exit to US 22 EB, and then you keep left for the U-turn to 22 WB. Easy.
GSP SB, you would THINK you should take Vauxhall Rd. to 22 EB, but now you're dealing with two left turns. Using 82 keeps it as two right turns, so it makes sense.
22W to GSP N, of course you use Vauxhall. You're barely on it and it's a low-demand movement.
22E to GSP S, you just use the U-turn onto 22W.
That's it for the freeway to Jersey-freeway movements.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.