News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Is Chicago done with new expressways?

Started by inkyatari, August 25, 2017, 10:03:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandon

Quote from: inkyatari on December 27, 2018, 09:55:16 AM
Quote from: ET21 on December 27, 2018, 09:04:54 AM
Plus we have I-57 and I-80 without names
I don't know about 57, but 80 has the name Kingery Expressway, according to Travel Midwest.  I thought it had another name too, but I can't think of it.

Moline Expressway, west of the Tri-State Tollway.  The Robert Kingery Expressway is between the Tri-State and the Indiana State Line.  Named for Robert Kingery, a former director of the Illinois Department of Public Works (IDOT forerunner), a regional director of the Chicago Regional Planning Association, and a proponent of the current tollway configuration.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

abefroman329

Quote from: inkyatari on December 27, 2018, 10:20:59 AM
Quote from: abefroman329 on December 27, 2018, 10:08:22 AM
Quote from: Brandon on December 27, 2018, 07:09:32 AM
Quote from: ATLRedSoxFan on December 27, 2018, 03:21:07 AM
Not sure if this would fall in topic or not, but it seems one of the younger Daley's who has political ambissions, is proposing re naming the Dan Ryan after Barrack Obama, guessing the South Side section. There is a ABC7 Chicago link, but my tablet will not let me post it.

It's a rather heated discussion.  I'm against any sort of renaming as Dan Ryan, Jr. (along with William Edens - the sponsor of the first state bond issue in 1918) was one of the driving forces behind the current Chicago expressway system and other Illinois highways.
But if they want to rename the Reagan after Obama, that'd be fine with me.
Politics aside, he was a president that was born along the corridor, so it makes geographical sense to keep it reagan.
Fair point.

Roadgeekteen

Not sure if this would fall in topic or not, but it seems one of the younger Daley's who has political ambissions, is proposing re naming the Dan Ryan after Barrack Obama, guessing the South Side section. There is a ABC7 Chicago link, but my tablet will not let me post it.

It's a rather heated discussion.  I'm against any sort of renaming as Dan Ryan, Jr. (along with William Edens - the sponsor of the first state bond issue in 1918) was one of the driving forces behind the current Chicago expressway system and other Illinois highways.
I'd prefer that political bias stay out of roads.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

ET21

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on December 27, 2018, 02:33:48 PM

You'd hate Chicago road names then  :-D :-D
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

The Ghostbuster

Most cities are done with new expressways. You probably couldn't even build a road tunnel anymore. You will have to settle for improving existing expressways, and even that will cost you an arm and a leg.

Brandon

Quote from: ET21 on December 27, 2018, 03:16:35 PM

You'd hate Chicago road names then  :-D :-D

It's often joked that the Ike is Chicago's only expressway named after a Republican.  Edens, Kennedy, Ryan, and Stevenson were all Democrats.  (I-88, the Reagan Twy exists outside the city limits.)
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

abefroman329

So...never name roads after politicians, then?

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: abefroman329 on December 27, 2018, 04:24:38 PM

Not necessarily, but wait some time before doing it. Also never change the name of a road named after a politician to a different one.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Moline expressway is used on Travel Midwest site.

SSOWorld

Before we end the political discussion - I'll just say that Daley is just trying to make up for the mistakes his ancestors made.  All typical Chicago politics.

Time to move on...
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

abefroman329

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on December 27, 2018, 04:45:56 PM

Not necessarily, but wait some time before doing it. Also never change the name of a road named after a politician to a different one.
Ok, the Reagan-Obama Tollway, then.

Beltway

Quote from: Brandon on December 27, 2018, 03:56:53 PM
It's often joked that the Ike is Chicago's only expressway named after a Republican.  Edens, Kennedy, Ryan, and Stevenson were all Democrats.  (I-88, the Reagan Twy exists outside the city limits.)

So why did Chicago choose Eisenhower for an expressway name?  He was from Texas.  Did he ever live in Illinois?

Part of their post-WWII naming of things after WWII things and people?  Butch O'Hare a USN aviator and Medal of Honor winner.  Midway airport for the Battle of Midway.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

ilpt4u

I always assumed (quite possibly incorrectly) that the Ike was named the Ike, to honor Ike for the System of Interstate Defense Highways

Illinois is one of the few states I have noticed traveling, to sign the Interstate shield with the blue "Eisenhower Interstate System"  with the 5-Star logo sign below the shield, typically on one of the first Reassurance shields in the state (interstate) or on the route (intrastate)

I believe the Ike was originally the Congress Expressway, as the Westward Expressway (Freeway would be more appropriate now) continuation of Congress Parkway Downtown

Beltway

Quote from: ilpt4u on December 27, 2018, 09:20:30 PM
I always assumed (quite possibly incorrectly) that the Ike was named the Ike, to honor Ike for the System of Interstate Defense Highways

I believe the Ike was originally the Congress Expressway, as the Westward Expressway (Freeway would be more appropriate now) continuation of Congress Parkway Downtown

"In 1940, the City Council of Chicago established the Westside Route, or Congress Expressway, as their first priority in a comprehensive superhighway system."

"Within the I-290 project study area, construction of individual sections was completed between 1954 and 1960"

http://eisenhowerexpressway.com/about/

When was the name changed to Eisenhower?

I don't know of any other Eisenhower Expressway or freeway... why here?

Granted, two others are named for a president or presidential candidate.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

abefroman329

Quote from: Beltway on December 27, 2018, 09:09:08 PMSo why did Chicago choose Eisenhower for an expressway name?  He was from Texas.  Did he ever live in Illinois?
JFK was from Massschusetts and never lived in Illinois.

Post-WWII patriotic fervor would be my guess, though why there's no corresponding MacArthur Expressway is beyond me.

inkyatari

I'm good with that. Things should only be named for heroes.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

SSOWorld

Problem with that - some people consider politicians heroes.  those people likely have the power to rename the roads.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Rothman

One person's hero is another person's villain.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

abefroman329

hotdogPi

Quote from: Rothman on December 28, 2018, 09:16:16 AM

For current politicians, yes. However, go back more than 50 years, and people seem to agree. Both Roosevelts and Martin Luther King Jr. were heroes, while certain members of the Confederacy were villains.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: 1 on December 28, 2018, 09:19:54 AM

For current politicians, yes. However, go back more than 50 years, and people seem to agree. Both Roosevelts and Martin Luther King Jr. were heroes, while certain members of the Confederacy were villains.
Go to the south. The confederacy becomes heros in some places.

Beltway

Quote from: abefroman329 on December 28, 2018, 09:03:18 AM
Quote from: Beltway on December 27, 2018, 09:09:08 PMSo why did Chicago choose Eisenhower for an expressway name?  He was from Texas.  Did he ever live in Illinois?
JFK was from Massschusetts and never lived in Illinois.
Post-WWII patriotic fervor would be my guess, though why there’s no corresponding MacArthur Expressway is beyond me.

There were over 400 places and things all over the country named after Kennedy.  It was all the rage in the 1960s.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

SEWIGuy

I can't think of anything more depressing than getting a strip of highway named after me. 

abefroman329

Quote from: 1 on December 28, 2018, 09:19:54 AM

One need not even look beyond the four walls of this forum to find people who don't think the Roosevelts or MLK were heroes, or that think certain members of the Confederacy were heroes.

abefroman329

Quote from: SEWIGuy on December 28, 2018, 10:50:52 AM
I can't think of anything more depressing than getting a strip of highway named after me.
Getting a sewage treatment plant named after me. Or maybe a jail.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.