News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

What's the best north/south way through the Twin Cities?

Started by ixnay, May 19, 2019, 07:03:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ixnay

Say someone is driving from Duluth to Albert Lea or maybe all the way to Des Moines.

In that case, is (s)he better taking I-35W or I-35E when (s)he nears the Twin Cities?

ixnay

thspfc

I've had less problems with downtown St Paul than I've had with Minneapolis, and with 35W you also have the Mall and airport traffic in addition to more commuting traffic. So I would say 35E is a better choice.

TheHighwayMan3561

For your everyday travel, 35E. It's shorter, less traffic, in better condition, and generally an easier drive than 35W. And right now, there are about four major construction projects along 35W in progress or beginning in the near future.

If you're driving a heavy vehicle, though, that complicates things a bit.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

oscar

A related question: what radio station has the best traffic reports for the Twin Cities? I think I stumbled on a good one when I was there in March, but forget what it was. The latest reports you hear as you approach the 494/694 beltway might change your mind about staying with 35E.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: oscar on May 19, 2019, 07:22:51 PM
A related question: what radio station has the best traffic reports for the Twin Cities? I think I stumbled on a good one when I was there in March, but forget what it was. The latest reports you hear as you approach the 494/694 beltway might change your mind about staying with 35E.

88.5 KBEM-FM is officially partnered with MnDOT for traffic reports, and generally the most thorough with regards to traffic reporting.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

froggie

^ Concur with KBEM 88.5

QuoteIf you're driving a heavy vehicle, though, that complicates things a bit.

35E/694/494/35E is probably the best in this case.  And IIRC what MnDOT promotes.  That said, there's a project about to start on 694.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.