News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Forum functionality issues

Started by Alex, September 29, 2023, 08:14:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

I've got to say, it does make this post of mine look a lot less meaningful:

Quote from: kphoger on May 02, 2013, 11:43:22 AM
Am I the only who memorizes the alt codes?

ñ is alt+164
Ã' is alt+165
á is alt+160
Á is alt+0193
é is alt+130
É is alt+144
í is alt+161
Í is alt+0205
ó is alt+162
Ã" is alt+0211
ú is alt+163
Ú is alt+0218
ü is alt+129
Ü is alt+0220

ß is alt+225
Þ is alt+0222 / makes a good emoticon hat (o:Þ or tongue :-Þ
Ø is alt+0216 / makes a good null symbol
... is alt+0133
– is alt+0151
— is alt+0150
½ is alt+0189
¼ is alt+0188
¾ is alt+0190
° is alt+248
§ is alt+987654321123456789 / I'm sure there's a shorter one but I can never remember it

And the list goes on!
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.


freebrickproductions

Quote from: kphoger on October 06, 2023, 02:32:53 PM
I've got to say, it does make this post of mine look a lot less meaningful:

Quote from: kphoger on May 02, 2013, 11:43:22 AM
Am I the only who memorizes the alt codes?

ñ is alt+164
Ã' is alt+165
á is alt+160
Á is alt+0193
é is alt+130
É is alt+144
í is alt+161
Í is alt+0205
ó is alt+162
Ã" is alt+0211
ú is alt+163
Ú is alt+0218
ü is alt+129
Ü is alt+0220

ß is alt+225
Þ is alt+0222 / makes a good emoticon hat (o:Þ or tongue :-Þ
Ø is alt+0216 / makes a good null symbol
... is alt+0133
– is alt+0151
— is alt+0150
½ is alt+0189
¼ is alt+0188
¾ is alt+0190
° is alt+248
§ is alt+987654321123456789 / I'm sure there's a shorter one but I can never remember it

And the list goes on!
Now I want to know what the last one was, lol.

Also, is it just something on my end, or is the "total users who logged in today" box at the bottom of the main page duplicated?
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

kphoger

Quote from: freebrickproductions on October 06, 2023, 02:34:27 PM

Quote from: kphoger on October 06, 2023, 02:32:53 PM
§ is alt+987654321123456789 / I'm sure there's a shorter one but I can never remember it

Now I want to know what the last one was, lol.

§
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

1995hoo

That list above appears to have the en dash (which is Alt-0150 and looks like this – ) reversed with the em dash (Alt-0151, — ), which suggests perhaps a programming error as to the two.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Alex

Quote from: kphoger on October 06, 2023, 02:00:02 PM
Quote from: Alex on October 06, 2023, 01:33:25 PM
It is a frustrating endeavor, so not worth pursuing anymore.

At the very least, you should edit the Forum Guidelines.

Quote from: Alex on May 21, 2009, 10:34:10 PM
Photos and images posted in forum threads should not exceed 800 pixels in width or 600 pixels in height. Everyone is not using the same monitor. To reference larger images, just add a link from the 800×600 sized image to the larger file in question.

Good call, thanks

I had to look up what × was, and its "×"

bugo

Quote from: intelati49 on September 29, 2023, 12:58:24 PM
I'm *terrified* to ask. I don't frequent rhe non-state/region sections... For good reason I guess??

He spent a lot of his time in the Central States forum. Mostly spreading falsehoods and saying outlandish things to get attention.

bugo

Quote from: hbelkins on October 01, 2023, 07:01:03 PM
An enthusiast of little green shrubs?  :bigass:

We usually call them "trees".

index

Lately the forum has been barking at me saying posts are coming from my IP too fast. Not sure why.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.



Counties traveled

hotdogPi

Quote from: index on October 22, 2023, 04:36:15 PM
Lately the forum has been barking at me saying posts are coming from my IP too fast. Not sure why.

It's been happening to everyone in the last 2 months or so and predates the forum downtime.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25 (expected 36 on June 28)

index

#159
Quote from: 1 on October 22, 2023, 04:37:53 PM
Quote from: index on October 22, 2023, 04:36:15 PM
Lately the forum has been barking at me saying posts are coming from my IP too fast. Not sure why.

It's been happening to everyone in the last 2 months or so and predates the forum downtime.

This would be the first time it's happening to me. Not saying you're wrong, just pointing that out. I didn't see anyone talking about it in this thread or mentioned anywhere else so I didn't know.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.



Counties traveled

vdeane

Quote from: index on October 22, 2023, 04:40:11 PM
Quote from: 1 on October 22, 2023, 04:37:53 PM
Quote from: index on October 22, 2023, 04:36:15 PM
Lately the forum has been barking at me saying posts are coming from my IP too fast. Not sure why.

It's been happening to everyone in the last 2 months or so and predates the forum downtime.

This would be the first time it's happening to me. Not saying you're wrong, just pointing that out. I didn't see anyone talking about it in this thread or mentioned anywhere else so I didn't know.

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33650.0
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

US 89

If we're still fixing these, ™ has become ™

Rothman

I'm still a big fan of Fatbol.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

US 89

Quote from: US 89 on October 23, 2023, 11:07:28 PM
If we're still fixing these, ™ has become ™

ä has become ä as well

Alex

Quote from: US 89 on October 23, 2023, 11:29:58 PM
Quote from: US 89 on October 23, 2023, 11:07:28 PM
If we're still fixing these, ™ has become ™

ä has become ä as well

I got rid of a couple thousand of these in the post subjects via database queries yesterday. Will add the two cases you mentioned on my to-do list. Thanks.

JMoses24

I had a bit of an issue when I logged in.

When I would click on any internal link (for want of a better term) to access anything else in the forum, it would open in a new tab. Also, an attempt to type in a search box would just lead to something opening in windows explorer. This seems to be fixed after a reboot.

US 89


formulanone

ç (as seen in Curaçao) has turned into ç



kphoger

Quote from: Alex on September 30, 2023, 10:43:19 AM
Thus far I have dealt with all of the ones mentioned upthread ...

Quote from: US 89 on October 24, 2023, 06:12:34 PM
é has become é

Quote from: formulanone on October 24, 2023, 07:31:47 PM
ç (as seen in Curaçao) has turned into ç

Were these last two not already corrected?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: JMoses24 on October 24, 2023, 02:12:49 PM
I had a bit of an issue when I logged in.

When I would click on any internal link (for want of a better term) to access anything else in the forum, it would open in a new tab. Also, an attempt to type in a search box would just lead to something opening in windows explorer. This seems to be fixed after a reboot.

Sounds like you somehow had a stuck key on your keyboard.  Having the 'CTRL' button somehow stuck and clicking on a link will make your browser open in a new window.

US 89

Quote from: kphoger on October 24, 2023, 08:13:42 PM
Were these last two not already corrected?

They might have been corrected in post titles, but they still show up in the text of actual posts.

wriddle082

Quote from: wriddle082 on October 04, 2023, 12:53:14 PM
Quote from: rickmastfan67 on October 04, 2023, 03:18:23 AM
Quote from: wriddle082 on October 03, 2023, 07:18:55 PM
Quote from: rickmastfan67 on October 02, 2023, 12:29:52 PM
Quote from: wriddle082 on October 02, 2023, 06:22:47 AM
I have been using Duck Duck Go browser on iOS on an iPhone 14 (no, I will NOT use Tapatalk!).  I tried visiting the site on Safari the other day and it was still giving me issues.

There's your answer then.

This theme wasn't built with 'mobile' in mind sadly.  Nothing we can really do about that till we consider upgrading the forums to the 2.1 branch.

Well the font sizes were fine before the forum was taken down, regardless of browser, so that's why I brought it up.

Did you patch the browsers at any point on your phone?  That's what possibly triggered it.  That's all I can think of, since I don't roll iOS (android here for my phone).

I did this morning hoping it would fix the issue, and it did not.

But now that I think about it more, I did upgrade the iOS to 17.0.2 from 16.x.x during the down time.  It didn't affect any other sites, but considering the other oddities I'm now starting to catch, I can see this as the possible culprit.


It was definitely the iOS that was causing the issue.  Last night I installed iOS 17.1 and now everything is back to normal with regard to line spacing.  And I also had other issues with not hearing some alerts, and now those issues are resolved as well.

Alex

All quoted posts above were fixed because of the queries I just made, so here is what I addressed:

Quote from: US 89 on October 23, 2023, 11:07:28 PM
If we're still fixing these, ™ has become â,,¢

Fixed

Quote from: US 89 on October 23, 2023, 11:29:58 PM
ä has become ä as well

Fixed

Quote from: US 89 on October 24, 2023, 06:12:34 PM
é has become é

Fixed, if any instances that should be © instead became é, that is because © = © and of course SQL cannot parse the difference of the caret and tilda's above the A.

Quote from: formulanone on October 24, 2023, 07:31:47 PM
ç (as seen in Curaçao) has turned into ç

Fixed. The queries may have gotten this right, as 150 or so rows with ç were converted to ç and the remaining 293 rows of § were converted to §.

Quote from: US 89 on October 24, 2023, 11:47:18 PM
Quote from: kphoger on October 24, 2023, 08:13:42 PM
Were these last two not already corrected?

They might have been corrected in post titles, but they still show up in the text of actual posts.

This is accurate, as my previous database queries were focused on subject fields.

Rothman

Have to say that the forum has been running pretty slick for me recently, minor special character annoyances aside.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: wriddle082 on October 27, 2023, 08:16:01 AM
Quote from: wriddle082 on October 04, 2023, 12:53:14 PM
Quote from: rickmastfan67 on October 04, 2023, 03:18:23 AM
Quote from: wriddle082 on October 03, 2023, 07:18:55 PM
Quote from: rickmastfan67 on October 02, 2023, 12:29:52 PM
Quote from: wriddle082 on October 02, 2023, 06:22:47 AM
I have been using Duck Duck Go browser on iOS on an iPhone 14 (no, I will NOT use Tapatalk!).  I tried visiting the site on Safari the other day and it was still giving me issues.

There's your answer then.

This theme wasn't built with 'mobile' in mind sadly.  Nothing we can really do about that till we consider upgrading the forums to the 2.1 branch.

Well the font sizes were fine before the forum was taken down, regardless of browser, so that's why I brought it up.

Did you patch the browsers at any point on your phone?  That's what possibly triggered it.  That's all I can think of, since I don't roll iOS (android here for my phone).

I did this morning hoping it would fix the issue, and it did not.

But now that I think about it more, I did upgrade the iOS to 17.0.2 from 16.x.x during the down time.  It didn't affect any other sites, but considering the other oddities I'm now starting to catch, I can see this as the possible culprit.


It was definitely the iOS that was causing the issue.  Last night I installed iOS 17.1 and now everything is back to normal with regard to line spacing.  And I also had other issues with not hearing some alerts, and now those issues are resolved as well.

Good to hear. :)



Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.