News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Was Route Z in Pulaski County, MO (old US 66) ever signed as I-44?

Started by bugo, June 27, 2014, 09:33:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

Part of Route Z in Pulaski County, Missouri is an old US 66 4 lane divided expressway.  It was bypassed by current I-44 and gets very little traffic.  Do any of you old timers remember if it was ever signed as I-44?  It is not a freeway but back in those days they weren't as anal about signing interstates as they are today.  Or was it signed "TEMP I-44" or "TO I-44"?

US71

Quote from: bugo on June 27, 2014, 09:33:20 PM
Part of Route Z in Pulaski County, Missouri is an old US 66 4 lane divided expressway.  It was bypassed by current I-44 and gets very little traffic.  Do any of you old timers remember if it was ever signed as I-44?  It is not a freeway but back in those days they weren't as anal about signing interstates as they are today.  Or was it signed "TEMP I-44" or "TO I-44"?

To my recollection, it was never TEMP I-44 or TO I-44, but I cannot say for certain if it was posted as I-44. I do recall it was the last (or one of the last) sections of 66 to be bypassed.

Look carefully sometime and you can see where the pavement used to go straight in to 44. ;)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

rte66man

Quote from: bugo on June 27, 2014, 09:33:20 PM

Nope, never signed as I-44.  That was the first part of 66 to be four-laned in MO.  It was a bypass of the infamous Devil's Elbow.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.