Update on I-69 Extension in Indiana

Started by mukade, June 25, 2011, 08:55:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadsguy

Quote from: ITB on January 24, 2021, 06:32:58 PM
- Exit 139 – State Road 252/Hospital Dr.
- Exit 140 – State Road 44/Reuben Dr.

Although I'm not well versed in signage formalities, it seems the northbound I-69 signage for State Road 252/Hospital Dr. & SR 44/Reuben Dr. will be designated Exit 139, while, vice versa, the southbound signage will be Exit 140.

Actually, according to the plans, both directions will be signed as Exit 140, with it being treated as basically just a long diamond. It'll be signed for SR 44/252, Reuben Drive/Hospital Drive in both directions too, not even reversing order of the streets for the other direction.

Also, for northbound I-69, I'm wondering whether it would be prudent to mention Mooresville and Indianapolis International Airport on Exit 137 signage for State Road 39. Lots of traffic from south-central Indiana utilizes SR 39 and SR 67 to reach Mooreville and, further on, the airport. That's the routing the Bloomington airport shuttles have been following for many years. Of course, this may change will the completion of I-69 to I-465; then again it may not, as the SR 39/67 route will remain somewhat shorter in distance. And, count me, as well, as being surprised there is no mention of either Franklin or Morgantown on the signage.

Existing signage for that exit includes "To SR 67," but not Mooresville; this will be dropped from the new signage. Mooresville will, however, be signed from the SR 144 interchange, but that would likely be much slower than taking SR 39 and 67. (The plans also misspell Mooresville as "Moorseville" on all the BGSes. Should probably let INDOT know in case no one's spotted that yet...)

Is the extension of the Ameriplex Parkway to connect to Southport Road (and thus indirectly I-69/SR 37) still being planned? That would probably be a better route from Bloomington to the airport once it's done. Going all the way up to I-465 and looping back onto I-70 couldn't possibly be a better route than SR 67, even with the all-freeway route.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Roadsguy on January 24, 2021, 07:09:10 PM
Is the extension of the Ameriplex Parkway to connect to Southport Road (and thus indirectly I-69/SR 37) still being planned? That would probably be a better route from Bloomington to the airport once it's done. Going all the way up to I-465 and looping back onto I-70 couldn't possibly be a better route than SR 67, even with the all-freeway route.

Yes, it's still being planned: http://www.decaturdirect.com/about/

In normal traffic though, I-69->I-465->I-70 would be quicker than navigating three traffic circles and a stoplight.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

ITB

- Exit 139 – State Road 252/Hospital Dr.
- Exit 140 – State Road 44/Reuben Dr.

Although I'm not well versed in signage formalities, it seems the northbound I-69 signage for State Road 252/Hospital Dr. & SR 44/Reuben Dr. will be designated Exit 139, while, vice versa, the southbound signage will be Exit 140.

Actually, according to the plans, both directions will be signed as Exit 140, with it being treated as basically just a long diamond. It'll be signed for SR 44/252, Reuben Drive/Hospital Drive in both directions too, not even reversing order of the streets for the other direction.

Makes sense. After all, it is, as you note, just a long diamond.

Also, for northbound I-69, I'm wondering whether it would be prudent to mention Mooresville and Indianapolis International Airport on Exit 137 signage for State Road 39. Lots of traffic from south-central Indiana utilizes SR 39 and SR 67 to reach Mooreville and, further on, the airport. That's the routing the Bloomington airport shuttles have been following for many years. Of course, this may change will the completion of I-69 to I-465; then again it may not, as the SR 39/67 route will remain somewhat shorter in distance. And, count me, as well, as being surprised there is no mention of either Franklin or Morgantown on the signage.

Existing signage for that exit includes "To SR 67," but not Mooresville; this will be dropped from the new signage. Mooresville will, however, be signed from the SR 144 interchange, but that would likely be much slower than taking SR 39 and 67. (The plans also misspell Mooresville as "Moorseville" on all the BGSes. Should probably let INDOT know in case no one's spotted that yet...)

Taking into account what's been said, perhaps it's best Mooresville or Indianapolis International Airport is not added to signage at the I-69/SR 39 exit. However, I feel it's appropriate to have direction and mileage signage at the SR 39/SR 67 intersection in Martinsville for Mooresville, the airport, and Indianapolis, as well as Spencer. And at the SR 67/Ameriplex Pkwy. intersection a larger directional sign for the airport is certainly warranted.

ITB

Before I post some more photos I want to thank those of you who have expressed kind comments. I've been photographing the construction of I-69 since the summer of 2014. Sometimes it has had the feel of a job, but, generally, I've enjoyed getting out and about and seeing parts of rural Indiana that were unfamiliar to me.

Because the traffic shift to the northbound lanes was anticipated to happen as early as Saturday, I made another trip to Morgan County. Work, however, was still underway putting down the concrete barrier sections. As I noted in an earlier post, almost 12 miles of barrier wall will be trucked in and installed north of Martinsville. Here's a few more pictures. Photos were taken Saturday, January 23, 2020, unless otherwise noted.

Indiana I-69 Corridor Project; Section 6, Segments 1 & 2; Morgan County, Indiana

Looking north toward the State Road 37/Morgan Street crossing just north of Martinsville. This is the northern closure point of the Martinsville segment. It appears work is underway to install a drainage culvert. On the right is Twin Branch Road, one of new frontage roads recently constructed.

The scene from the opposite direction; looking south from near the SR 37/Morgan Street crossing.

Looking north toward SR 37 from near the Morgan Street crossing. Here, vehicles can either turn right onto Morgan Street or left (pictured) onto Twin Branch Road, which further on, intersects with SR 44. In the background right (expand the photo) is the starting point of the concrete barriers separating the lanes on northbound SR 37.

Long range shot looking north toward to SR 37/Morgan Street crossing.

Closer view of the work underway. While surveying the scene, two pickups with flashing lights (pictured) pulled up. It's possible the traffic shift to the northbound lanes was imminent, but I didn't stick around to see whether this happened or not.

More to come.

ITB

Another set. Photos were taken Saturday, January 23, 2020, unless otherwise noted.

Indiana I-69 Corridor Project; Section 6, Segments 1 & 2; Morgan County, Indiana

Placing concrete barrier sections just north of the State Road 37/Old SR 37-Myra Lane crossing north of Martinsville in Morgan County; looking northeast. In this vicinity, there will be two barrier walls – one to separate the northbound lanes, which will soon host bi-directional traffic; the other, to safely separate all traffic from the future construction work on the southbound lanes.

Closer perspective of the barrier installation work north of the SR 37/Old SR 37-Myra Lane crossing; looking northeast.

Trucks with flatbed trailers loaded with barrier wall sections; looking southeast. Each truck carried 11 sections. From a glance, it appeared the sections were eight feet long. So, in total, the five trucks pictured were delivering 440 feet of barrier.

A crew of five was handling the barrier installation. Hard, demanding work.

Another look at the barrier wall installation; looking east.

Taking a momentary break as some equipment is removed from the work zone; looking east. An overpass will be constructed here carrying Myra Lane. On the other of side of SR 37 is one of Martinsville's larger commercial fish hatcheries. The city is known for its hatcheries and was once dubbed the "goldfish capital of the world." Interested in stocking a pond? Clear Creek Fisheries or Ozark Fisheries, among several others, will gladly be of assistance.

Signage at the State Road 37/Old SR 37-Myra Lane crossing; looking east.

ITB

A few more. Again, photos were taken Saturday, January 23, 2021, unless otherwise noted.

Indiana I-69 Corridor Project; Section 6, Segment 2; Morgan County, Indiana

Looking south from the Egbert Road overpass in Morgan County toward State Road 37. If it hasn't been already, southbound traffic will soon be diverted to a lane on SR 37 northbound. In the background (expand the photo) are the mainline bridges over Clear Creek. These will be replaced with new bridges.

Another perspective looking south from the Egbert Road overpass.

Looking northeast toward SR 37 from the Egbert Road overpass. A pair of mainlines bridges will be constructed in this area, probably about where the culvert has been placed, the opening of which is visible (left, mid-foreground). This particularly spot is termed a "dry swale," and, apparently, geological conditions were such that construction of bridges was deemed necessary. Visible in the deep background is the approach to the Henderson Ford Road overpass.

Slightly different view looking north from the Egbert Road overpass. Here, too, a crew was on the job, moving barrier sections.

Another view looking north.

Three more.

View toward the State Road 37/Morgan Street crossing, as the sun began to sink low in the southwestern sky; looking north.

Trucks and their barrier loads near the SR 37/Old SR 37-Myra Lane crossing; looking east.

Although it was nearly 5 pm, these guys were still going at it, with about another 60 sections to place. A portable light fixture was on site if needed. Stay safe guys! We value and appreciate your work.

mvak36

Thank You ITB for the pics.

Does anyone know if they have let that last segment (Contract 5) for construction?
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

SW Indiana

Quote from: mvak36 on January 26, 2021, 10:53:20 AM

Does anyone know if they have let that last segment (Contract 5) for construction?

According to the I-69 Finish Line website, the bids were let this past fall. Looking at the INDOT bid letting list, I don't see anything pertaining to I-69 in Marion County, so it would seem they were indeed let.

https://i69finishline.com/construction-schedule/

https://entapps.indot.in.gov/Lettings/Dashboard

ITB

My pleasure. Glad they were of interest.

Quote from: SW Indiana on January 26, 2021, 02:18:24 PM
According to the I-69 Finish Line website, the bids were let this past fall. Looking at the INDOT bid letting list, I don't see anything pertaining to I-69 in Marion County, so it would seem they were indeed let.

Contract #5 is still to be let. The schedule was to let the contract late in 2020, but that didn't happen. I don't want to speculate, but safe to say INDOT is working hard to get the contract ready for letting. When ready it should appear on INDOT's 18 month letting list. The list is regularly updated the 15th of every month, and, apparently, periodically at other times as well. At this time, only three environmental mitigation contracts are found for PR-69 (Proposed Route 69). Best way to search the list is using the find-in-this-page function, searching under either PR-69 or PR 69. 

abqtraveler

Quote from: ITB on January 26, 2021, 04:02:21 PM

My pleasure. Glad they were of interest.

Quote from: SW Indiana on January 26, 2021, 02:18:24 PM

Contract #5 is still to be let. The schedule was to let the contract late in 2020, but that didn't happen. I don't want to speculate, but safe to say INDOT is working hard to get the contract ready for letting. When ready it should appear on INDOT's 18 month letting list. The list is regularly updated the 15th of every month, and, apparently, periodically at other times as well. At this time, only three environmental mitigation contracts are found for PR-69 (Proposed Route 69). Best way to search the list is using the find-in-this-page function, searching under either PR-69 or PR 69.

I think the challenge there is they have to sync up Contract #5 with contracts for reconstructing and widening the south leg of I-465 to ensure everything goes smoothly. They're like cogs in a machine that have to be properly aligned and timed so they make the machine work.
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

Interstate 69 Fan

All 27 miles of I-69 Section 6 are now under construction

Let the chaos begin...
https://youtu.be/EQoOQTe0gv0
Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

02 Park Ave

Yes, that is correct as Governor Eric J. Holcomb and Indiana Department of Transportation Commissioner Joe McGuinness have announced today that the final two of five construction contracts to build the I-69 Finish Line project between Martinsville and Indianapolis had been awarded.
C-o-H

ITB

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on February 02, 2021, 02:33:13 PM
Yes, that is correct as Governor Eric J. Holcomb and Indiana Department of Transportation Commissioner Joe McGuinness have announced today that the final two of five construction contracts to build the I-69 Finish Line project between Martinsville and Indianapolis had been awarded.

Wow! INDOT has indeed awarded the final contract of Section 6 contract (#5) to a Walsh Construction/Milestone Construction joint venture for $728 million. Call me surprised. As most of you know I've been following the the development and construction of I-69 in Indiana for many years, and I didn't see this one coming. Searching once again INDOT's letting website, I am unable to find any mention of or the letting of this contract. Maybe I'm missing something; I don't know. It's possible due to the size and importance of the contract, special provisions kicked in, which allowed INDOT to bypass the normal letting process. At any rate, with Contract #5 now awarded, the completion of Indiana's I-69 Corridor Project is one significant step closer to fruition. And that's a very good thing.

ITB

Here's a link to the official INDOT announcement of the awarding of Section 6's final contract:

https://i69finishline.com/news/final-contracts-awarded-finish-line/

silverback1065

so all that's left to do is the ohio river bridge!

Great Lakes Roads

Quote from: silverback1065 on February 02, 2021, 06:54:35 PM

This will happen after the Finish I-69 project is complete in 2024 with construction to start (hopefully) in 2025.

Henry

This is very good news; I can't wait to see until the day that we can finally drive from Evansville to Indianapolis without stopping.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

I-39

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on February 02, 2021, 07:04:52 PM

This will happen after the Finish I-69 project is complete in 2024 with construction to start (hopefully) in 2025.

Is that confirmed or just speculation?

abqtraveler

Quote from: I-39 on February 03, 2021, 10:43:37 AM

That's the official talking point from Governor Eric Holcomb is that construction will start on the Ohio River Bridge once the connection to I-465 is completed. Kentucky might start on the bridge approach between the I-69/US-41/KY-425 interchange and US-60 as soon as 2022.

https://www.14news.com/2021/01/20/gov-holcomb-announces-next-steps-i-ohio-river-crossing/
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

I-39

Quote from: abqtraveler on February 03, 2021, 10:47:52 AM

That's the official talking point from Governor Eric Holcomb is that construction will start on the Ohio River Bridge once the connection to I-465 is completed. Kentucky might start on the bridge approach between the I-69/US-41/KY-425 interchange and US-60 as soon as 2022.

https://www.14news.com/2021/01/20/gov-holcomb-announces-next-steps-i-ohio-river-crossing/

Interesting. So they will be charging tolls after all. Can't really see this getting much traffic until the Interstate is completed to Memphis.

Ryctor2018

That may not be far off with traffic. I've have seen this route as an alternative from Nashville north to points north (Indianapolis, Chicago, etc). The combination of I-24, future I-169 and I-69 avoids Louisville. The entire route is complete in Kentucky except the Wingo interchange on the now Purchase Pkwy. I think that should be under construction in about 2 yrs or so. The TN portion of I-69 is already under construction around Union City, and should be complete in 2-3 yrs.
Other than the Ohio river crossing, a driver will be able to drive from the Canadian border at Port Huron, MI to Memphis, (via I-55) starting in 2025.
2DI's traveled: 5, 8, 10, 12, 15, 20, 24, 30, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 44, 45, 49, 55, 57, 59, 64, 65, 66, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 85, 87, 88, 90, 93, 94, 95, 96

seicer

Quote from: I-39 on February 03, 2021, 10:55:10 AM

Interesting. So they will be charging tolls after all. Can't really see this getting much traffic until the Interstate is completed to Memphis.

The existing bridges carry 40,000 vehicles per day. With some diversion for the local bridge that remains in place, there will be sufficient through traffic utilizing a tolled Interstate 69 crossing.

abqtraveler

Quote from: seicer on February 03, 2021, 11:52:37 AM

The existing bridges carry 40,000 vehicles per day. With some diversion for the local bridge that remains in place, there will be sufficient through traffic utilizing a tolled Interstate 69 crossing.

And there will be even more traffic going over the Ohio River between Evansville and Henderson once the final connection to I-465 is completed. By that time I-69 will be almost finished between Indy and Dyersburg, where it would connect with I-155 and I-55 to reach Memphis.

I-55

Quote from: abqtraveler on February 03, 2021, 03:53:58 PM

And there will be even more traffic going over the Ohio River between Evansville and Henderson once the final connection to I-465 is completed. By that time I-69 will be almost finished between Indy and Dyersburg, where it would connect with I-155 and I-55 to reach Memphis.

See my post in the I-69 in TN thread where I explain the idea of I-155 and I-69. It applies more so for long range travel but any major increases in traffic counts would be due to long trips.
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

sparker

Quote from: I-55 on February 04, 2021, 01:40:27 PM
Quote from: abqtraveler on February 03, 2021, 03:53:58 PM

See my post in the I-69 in TN thread where I explain the idea of I-155 and I-69. It applies more so for long range travel but any major increases in traffic counts would be due to long trips.

The whole I-69 situation south of Dyersburg is discussed in length over in the "I-69 in TN" thread in Mid-South; including opinions (normatively negative) regarding the segment between Shreveport & Memphis.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.