News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Newburyport, Mass area meet - Fall 2019

Started by Dougtone, February 10, 2019, 08:24:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dougtone

I am planning (but am not officially announcing yet) a meet in the Newburyport, MA area this fall, likely in the second half of October or in early November. Some of you may have heard rumblings about this meet idea in the past, but let's get something more concrete about it.

Meet highlights that I have on the drawing board include:
Chain Bridge in Newburyport
Abandoned I-95 alignment in Newburyport (this is now a public and well preserved walking trail)
Whittier Bridge (which also has a pedestrian trail)
Choate Bridge in Ipswich (one of America's oldest bridges)
Powwow River Bridge in Amesbury
Toll Road in Salisbury (this was the old connection from US 1 to the New Hampshire Turnpike)
Rocks Village Bridge in West Newbury
Also, since this would be in Massachusetts, you may also encounter plenty of old signs.

I am posting now to drum up additional feedback and ideas. If someone knows the area well and has additional suggestions for things to see, I am happy to hear about them. I'll be doing some meet related scouting this spring in advance of making an official meet announcement as well. I'd also be interested in hearing any suggestions for an appropriate après-roads dinner after the meet tour, although I will likely forego the traditional meet lunch due to the time of year of the meet.

hotdogPi

I will actually be able to make it to this meet!
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Dougtone

Quote from: 1 on February 10, 2019, 08:30:14 AM
I will actually be able to make it to this meet!

If you haven't been to a meet yet, I think this will be a good one to start with. I feel that there's a lot of see road-wise around Newburyport, based on my previous travels in and around the area.

froggie

I'd be interested, as that's within day range.  The only potential downside for me would be if it conflicts with one of my weather conferences which is usually held on a Saturday in late October.

kevinb1994

I'm also interested, as I haven't been to Greater Boston yet.

EDIT: Unfortunately, I have just committed myself to the Pittsburgh Road Meet, so I'm out.

cl94

I've already expressed my interest, but responding here to keep in the loop.

There are a couple of stone arch bridges over the Powwow River in Amesbury Village, too. I'm getting construction dates of 1850 on those. The Route 150 one has a couple of buildings suspended over the river. If we're going down to Ipswich, the Winthrop Street Bridge might be worth a quick detour given how few non-covered wooden highway bridges are still around.

The problem with this area is that there's too much stuff to see in a single day. What might be a good idea is to include the highlights on the tour and provide a list of other things people can do on their own time.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

kevinb1994

Quote from: cl94 on February 10, 2019, 01:28:29 PM
I've already expressed my interest, but responding here to keep in the loop.

There are a couple of stone arch bridges over the Powwow River in Amesbury Village, too. I'm getting construction dates of 1850 on those. The Route 150 one has a couple of buildings suspended over the river. If we're going down to Ipswich, the Winthrop Street Bridge might be worth a quick detour given how few non-covered wooden highway bridges are still around.

The problem with this area is that there's too much stuff to see in a single day. What might be a good idea is to include the highlights on the tour and provide a list of other things people can do on their own time.

That's what I was thinking; the area is quite vast in size and landmarks (which is a given due to its history).

PHLBOS

This one will definitely be on my radar.  I got a chance to see the new parallel path/bridge to the new Whittier Bridge last September but it wasn't yet opened.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jon12791

jon12791

Quote from: Dougtone on February 10, 2019, 08:24:51 AM
I am planning (but am not officially announcing yet) a meet in the Newburyport, MA area this fall, likely in the second half of October or in early November. Some of you may have heard rumblings about this meet idea in the past, but let's get something more concrete about it.

Abandoned I-95 alignment in Newburyport (this is now a public and well preserved walking trail)
Toll Road in Salisbury (this was the old connection from US 1 to the New Hampshire Turnpike)
Also, since this would be in Massachusetts, you may also encounter plenty of old signs.

I am posting now to drum up additional feedback and ideas. If someone knows the area well and has additional suggestions for things to see, I am happy to hear about them. I'll be doing some meet related scouting this spring in advance of making an official meet announcement as well. I'd also be interested in hearing any suggestions for an appropriate après-roads dinner after the meet tour, although I will likely forego the traditional meet lunch due to the time of year of the meet.

Has anyone seen this artifact in Wakefield, MA? https://www.google.com/maps/@42.5126667,-71.0844546,3a,75y,174.15h,85.71t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s-3Wdd3bdLJwETDhynvo60Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

roadman

Quote from: jon12791 on May 16, 2019, 08:43:22 PM
Quote from: Dougtone on February 10, 2019, 08:24:51 AM

Has anyone seen this artifact in Wakefield, MA? https://www.google.com/maps/@42.5126667,-71.0844546,3a,75y,174.15h,85.71t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s-3Wdd3bdLJwETDhynvo60Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

I go by this intersection a couple times a week.  One of the few remaining examples of a flashing green in Massachusetts.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

PHLBOS

Quote from: roadman on May 20, 2019, 10:57:39 AMOne of the few remaining examples of a flashing green in Massachusetts.
Salem & Peabody still have a few out there.  There may be still one in Beverly along Cabot St. (MA 22).
GPS does NOT equal GOD

dgolub

Definitely interesting, as long as it doesn't conflict with the business trip that I have coming up in October.

Dougtone

Looks like this meet will be on October 26. More details to follow as I tie everything together.

cl94

Hotel already booked. Thank you hotel points for getting me a $200 room for free.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

vdeane

I have also booked my hotel.  It looks like lodging is starting to get tight for that area, so I didn't want to wait.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

PHLBOS

Quote from: roadman on May 20, 2019, 10:57:39 AM
Quote from: jon12791 on May 16, 2019, 08:43:22 PMHas anyone seen this artifact in Wakefield, MA? https://www.google.com/maps/@42.5126667,-71.0844546,3a,75y,174.15h,85.71t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s-3Wdd3bdLJwETDhynvo60Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

I go by this intersection a couple times a week.
Based on the various GSVs; it appears that the DEAD END sign, intended for Linda Road is still misaligned.

Quote from: vdeane on June 29, 2019, 10:50:41 PMI have also booked my hotel.  It looks like lodging is starting to get tight for that area, so I didn't want to wait.
I just booked my lodging as well.  For cost reasons, I booked a place out in Salem, NH... about 30-35 minutes from Newburyport.  Additionally, my booking allows a free cancellation up to Oct. 24 should I need to bail/cancel (hopefully, such won't happen).

That said, count me in... for now.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

okroads

My 11-year wedding anniversary is the day before this meet, but I'm not saying no to this meet yet. :D

kevinb1994

Quote from: okroads on July 01, 2019, 11:37:55 AM
My 11-year wedding anniversary is the day before this meet, but I'm not saying no to this meet yet. :D
Happy (early) anniversary!

Brandon

Isn't the gift for the couple who've been together 11 years, a road sign?
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

okroads

Quote from: Brandon on July 01, 2019, 01:20:32 PM

Isn't the gift for the couple who've been together 11 years, a road sign?

I like your thinking...

froggie

Part of me applauds this.  But the other part of me would say enjoy the weekend with your wife.  I chose the latter on the account of my high school reunion is the day after my anniversary this year.

Alps

Quote from: froggie on July 01, 2019, 06:44:58 PM

Part of me applauds this.  But the other part of me would say enjoy the weekend with your wife.  I chose the latter on the account of my high school reunion is the day after my anniversary this year.

His wife is cool. She might even show up.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

You want an Ohio 11 shield or an US 11 shield?
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

bob7374

Since I am one of the closest to the meet location, and planning to go, would gladly help out with any scouting activities prior to the event.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.