News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Jesus and Lazarus threads

Started by hbelkins, November 12, 2020, 07:37:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Do we have some people who are just resurrecting old threads for the fun of it?

It makes sense sometimes, but I get the feeling that some are doing it just to do it.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Max Rockatansky

I replied to one in jest since they all seemed to come from 2011 for some reason.  That said, thus far aside from maybe one of those threads it has led to actual conversations.

renegade

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 12, 2020, 07:41:11 PM
I replied to one in jest since they all seemed to come from 2011 for some reason.  That said, thus far aside from maybe one of those threads it has led to actual conversations.
Have noted myself there's been a lot of necroposting going on lately.  It seems to be one person doing it.  It's not really a big deal, I suppose.  It brings new things to the top of the "unread posts"  link.
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

Alps

If you don't mind letting us know which person - it's not in the rooms I frequent but the mod staff can act.

hotdogPi

Quote from: Alps on November 12, 2020, 11:10:26 PM
If you don't mind letting us know which person - it's not in the rooms I frequent but the mod staff can act.

It's Avalanchez71. However, he's resurrecting threads and actually adding legitimate content (usually), which is the same as what I did when I first joined in 2013 (thread about me).
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

jeffandnicole

Whatevs.

Some people are more concerned about a thread date than the content of the discussion. 

Personally for me, it's better than creating new threads about stuff already talked about.

froggie

The only thing I'm going to note is that in one of the threads Avalanchez71 necro'd, he complained that the links weren't working.  I pointed out to him that the thread was 11 years old.

hotdogPi

The worst thread bump I know is reply #40 here. It was only slightly over 5 months, but it was a really bad bump.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: 1 on November 13, 2020, 10:10:40 AM
The worst thread bump I know is reply #40 here. It was only slightly over 5 months, but it was a really bad bump.

San Franswhat?  Is they based off something or is that an Alanland ripoff?  Reply 12 made me laugh. 

1995hoo

I'm intrigued by reply #70 in that thread and am curious how one creates a scrolling row of smileys like that.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

hotdogPi

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 13, 2020, 11:17:55 AM

I'm intrigued by reply #70 in that thread and am curious how one creates a scrolling row of smileys like that.

[move]example[/move]

1995hoo

Quote from: 1 on November 13, 2020, 11:20:10 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on November 13, 2020, 11:17:55 AM

[move]example[/move]

Thanks. I hardly ever pay attention to the buttons (if I use the full editor at all) and had failed to notice that one.

formulanone

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 13, 2020, 12:15:12 PM
Quote from: 1 on November 13, 2020, 11:20:10 AM
[move]example[/move]

Thanks. I hardly ever pay attention to the buttons (if I use the full editor at all) and had failed to notice that one.

Like chewable aspirin, they're not typically designed for adult usage.

hbelkins

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 13, 2020, 08:32:17 AM
Whatevs.

Some people are more concerned about a thread date than the content of the discussion.

Not complaining, just observing. It seems to be a pretty recent phenomenon all of a sudden.

QuotePersonally for me, it's better than creating new threads about stuff already talked about.

Agreed, if there's a purpose to it. I dusted off one recently about US 460/Corridor Q since a section of the new road is going to open shortly.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Avalanchez71

I am reading items that are intriguing.  I like to know what may have come of something over time. We ask these questions all the time.  Like hey what route did US X take back in 1941?  Well now we have the chance to reflect on issues that may have come up in 2011 with the opportunity to answer some issues.  We have a database now that answers some questions posed.

noelbotevera

I never understood the bias against creating new threads. If someone says "hey we had this conversation back in 2011" then great. I and many others weren't members then and there's usually new things to discuss since then. Nothing wrong with ignorance, if there's an interesting topic at hand.

TheGrassGuy

If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

STLmapboy

That thread alone hurts my head.
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

Alps

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on November 13, 2020, 03:02:35 PM
I am reading items that are intriguing.  I like to know what may have come of something over time. We ask these questions all the time.  Like hey what route did US X take back in 1941?  Well now we have the chance to reflect on issues that may have come up in 2011 with the opportunity to answer some issues.  We have a database now that answers some questions posed.

Please remember that while we allow necro-posting, you need to be adding meaningful content. As long as you are doing that, it's okay. But do think twice if you're doing so many of them.

thspfc

Goodness me

Someone: harmlessly bumps a thread from 5+ years ago

Other AARoads members:  :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow:  :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow:

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: STLmapboy on November 13, 2020, 06:15:21 PM

That was rough.  Was someone trying to combine references to The Hypotenuse and that place?
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Rothman

I like having all relevant posts in a topic, so I don't mind good necroposts. 
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on November 15, 2020, 01:24:53 PM

That was rough.  Was someone trying to combine references to The Hypotenuse and that place?

Apparently the thread title is a reference to Big Hero 6...for reasons unknown.

1995hoo

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 15, 2020, 01:35:54 PM
Quote from: jp the roadgeek on November 15, 2020, 01:24:53 PM

Apparently the thread title is a reference to Big Hero 6...for reasons unknown.

If all I had seen were the subject line, I'd have assumed it was a fictional post about a tunnel from California to Japan.

JoePCool14

Chiming in a bit late here, but as for my stance on necro-posting, I don't see an issue assuming a particular thread is still relevant in some fashion, and the poster is actually adding content to the thread. I don't remember who it was who said it earlier in this thread, but I'd rather have a necro-posted thread than a new thread on a repeated topic.

That's actually something I hated about other forums I've used: they prohibited posting on threads that were over a month old, and I always thought that stifled discussion.

If someone posts garbage to bump a thread, that's a different case.

Also, when I saw the title of this thread, for a brief moment I was thinking someone was asking if we could add a sub-board for religion.

And, while I'm here...

:bigass:
I apologize for my sins against humanity.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.