News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Bands that radically changed their sound/style

Started by hbelkins, July 19, 2021, 11:03:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

Steve Winwood with Back In The High Life was a change from his past music genre.  Though it got on the charts with Higher Love and Freedom Overspill, different from his previous albums.

Then Roll With It copied his Back In The High Life as well.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

kurumi

Quote from: roadman65 on August 27, 2021, 11:01:23 PM
Steve Winwood with Back In The High Life was a change from his past music genre.  Though it got on the charts with Higher Love and Freedom Overspill, different from his previous albums.

Then Roll With It copied his Back In The High Life as well.

Higher Love had all of the mid to late 1980s in one song: DX-7 keyboard, gospel singers, gated drums, synth brass. Only thing it was missing is a saxophone solo.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Rothman

Kenny Rogers went from San Francisco psychedlic rock to country.  A shrewd musician, indeed.

A lot of his fans turn a blind eye to where he really came from.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

achilles765

Quote from: kphoger on August 27, 2021, 11:39:10 AM
Quote from: achilles765 on August 26, 2021, 07:53:16 PM
Bob Dylan

Then he shocked people even more than when he went electric ...

Yeah, that seriously put some of his fans off.  Kind of like when the Eagles went a little
bit country.

It sure did. But not nearly as badly as when he went gospel. That pissed people off big time
I love freeways and roads in any state but Texas will always be first in my heart

tchafe1978

Metallica on their St. Anger album, tried to go nu-metal and in turn angered a lot of fans. The style of songs, with no guitar solos, and garbage can-sounding snare drum, and guitar tone were a total departure from anything they did before or since, even more so than Load and Re-Load. It wasn't my favorite album either, but after giving it more listens years later, the songs and the lyrical content aren't all that bad, once you get past those negatives. Hey, every band has to go out on a limb once to experiment and keep from getting stale.

renegade

Quote from: tchafe1978 on August 29, 2021, 10:43:48 AM
Metallica on their St. Anger album, tried to go nu-metal and in turn angered a lot of fans. The style of songs, with no guitar solos, and garbage can-sounding snare drum, and guitar tone were a total departure from anything they did before or since, even more so than Load and Re-Load. It wasn't my favorite album either, but after giving it more listens years later, the songs and the lyrical content aren't all that bad, once you get past those negatives. Hey, every band has to go out on a limb once to experiment and keep from getting stale.
I use my copy of St Anger as a beer coaster.
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

hbelkins

Quote from: renegade on August 29, 2021, 02:07:52 PM
Quote from: tchafe1978 on August 29, 2021, 10:43:48 AM
I use my copy of St Anger as a beer coaster.

I liked St. Anger a whole lot better than either Load or Reload, and to be honest, probably more than the black album.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.