Regional Boards > Northeast

I-83 Improvements

<< < (5/5)

Alps:

--- Quote from: 74/171FAN on June 20, 2022, 12:16:12 PM ---So I went to get my car serviced today, and I noticed the demolition of buildings on the south side of I-83 between 19th St and Paxton St is already in progress.  I am a bit surprised by this as I thought construction was not to start until at least the mid-2020s if not later.

--- End quote ---
ROW can take a few years to complete. Probably advancing whatever they can.

Gnutella:

--- Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on May 12, 2022, 07:53:47 AM ---Glad to see this happening as well. Iíve always been curious as to why Pennsylvania has so many underdesigned/outdated highways and interchanges for so long.

--- End quote ---

Because many Interstates in Pennsylvania were built in the 1940s and 1950s, and grandfathered into the system. The fact that Pennsylvania has almost as many miles of roads to maintain as Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island and Vermont combined doesn't help either, because resources get spread thinner.

Rothman:

--- Quote from: Gnutella on July 31, 2022, 11:33:44 PM ---
--- Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on May 12, 2022, 07:53:47 AM ---Glad to see this happening as well. Iíve always been curious as to why Pennsylvania has so many underdesigned/outdated highways and interchanges for so long.

--- End quote ---

Because many Interstates in Pennsylvania were built in the 1940s and 1950s, and grandfathered into the system. The fact that Pennsylvania has almost as many miles of roads to maintain as Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island and Vermont combined doesn't help either, because resources get spread thinner.

--- End quote ---
If we're talking about state-maintained system mileage rather than total mileage, it makes me wonder which kinds of roads PA maintains that the likes of NY leaves up to municipalities.

vdeane:
I'm not sure how dense the quadrant route network is, but those would be county routes in NY, so they probably comprise a good chunk of the extra mileage.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version