News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I-83 Improvements

Started by roadman65, September 27, 2021, 09:33:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

I see right now a big plan is underway to make I-83 more interstate than the pre interstate freeway of US 230 Bypass, it's former route before the Interstates came into play.

If you live in the area you have seen the replacements of both US 22 and Union Deposit Road overpasses to allow for more lanes on the freeway.  The original bridges looked like the Derry Street overpass over US 322 which were built for only four lanes, but now six lanes plus auxiliary lanes are needed for I-83. 

The project is in five phases as more is to come including possibly building a toll bridge in place of the South Bridge across the Susquehanna River instead of giving it a replacement out of tax dollars.  Then there are other widening concerns that will soon be addressed as well. 

My interest in it is what about the Eisenhower Interchange which I do not see as part of this as with a six lane I-83 through there would need a complete overhaul to handle the extra lanes.  Maybe it's included but not worth talking about, so that is why. Anyway glad to see PennDOT moving into the future instead of the past.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

RevZimmerman

Quote from: roadman65 on September 27, 2021, 09:33:34 AM
I see right now a big plan is underway to make I-83 more interstate than the pre interstate freeway of US 230 Bypass, it's former route before the Interstates came into play.

If you live in the area you have seen the replacements of both US 22 and Union Deposit Road overpasses to allow for more lanes on the freeway.  The original bridges looked like the Derry Street overpass over US 322 which were built for only four lanes, but now six lanes plus auxiliary lanes are needed for I-83. 

The project is in five phases as more is to come including possibly building a toll bridge in place of the South Bridge across the Susquehanna River instead of giving it a replacement out of tax dollars.  Then there are other widening concerns that will soon be addressed as well. 

My interest in it is what about the Eisenhower Interchange which I do not see as part of this as with a six lane I-83 through there would need a complete overhaul to handle the extra lanes.  Maybe it's included but not worth talking about, so that is why. Anyway glad to see PennDOT moving into the future instead of the past.

The I-83 Beltway website [https://www.i-83beltway.com] has some information on the Eisenhower Interchange that will have to be redesigned and rebuilt as part of the larger project.

Some links below will be helpful:
https://www.i-83beltway.com/projects/east-shore-section-2.php  (That is the section of the project involving the Eisenhower Interchange.)

https://i-83beltway.com/docs/SR_0083_Section_078_Environmental_Assessment_Report_Appendices_November_2019.pdf  (In that document, look at Pages 12—21 for Eisenhower Interchange design that was being evaluated for environmental assessment.)

Roadsguy

After the 2018 public meeting, they posted detailed diagrams of Section 2 and Section 3. There's also a revision to Section 3, particularly to the proposed alignments of Paxton Street and the 19th Street ramps.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

roadman65

I'd like to know also why they didn't construct both US 22 and Union Deposit Roads into SPUIs? It could have easily been done when the overpasses were replaced.

Sheryl Crowe

froggie

SPUIs may not be necessary, especially at Union Deposit.  And SPUIs have far higher costs than a more traditional interchange.

Roadsguy

A SPUI would definitely be warranted at Union Deposit, but I spoke with someone from the project a while ago who told me it was just cut because of the cost of the more complex bridge and re-grading the ramps.

As for the project status, all three through lanes are open in the southbound direction! The right through lane and auxiliary lanes aren't fully paved yet, but all the stop sign merges are gone in that direction.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

roadman65

Boy the state is in one big dilemma here. Charge tolls and piss off residents, or charge the treasury and wipe out its account.

Sheryl Crowe

74/171FAN

FYI, April 2022 Update on the I-83 South Bridge Project is on the project page.

Basically, the project limits are being extended east across the East Shore Viaduct to the existing PA 230 overpass.  (however, the new PA 230 interchange is not shown in the project limits)

webny99

Quote from: 74/171FAN on April 07, 2022, 02:14:03 PM
FYI, April 2022 Update on the I-83 South Bridge Project is on the project page.

Basically, the project limits are being extended east across the East Shore Viaduct to the existing PA 230 overpass.  (however, the new PA 230 interchange is not shown in the project limits)

Great to see this happening and it certainly makes sense to include the 2nd St interchange as part of the project. However the PA 230 overpass does seem like an odd spot for the end of the project limit. Given the new C/D roads that will be added, it will make for an interesting interim tie-in until East Shore Section 3 is done.

74/171FAN

Ted$8roadFan

Glad to see this happening as well. I've always been curious as to why Pennsylvania has so many underdesigned/outdated highways and interchanges for so long.

DJStephens

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on May 12, 2022, 07:53:47 AM
Glad to see this happening as well. I've always been curious as to why Pennsylvania has so many underdesigned/outdated highways and interchanges for so long.
A lot of reasons.
1. A big state, for northeastern standards.  A lot of lane miles to maintain. Lot of long distance US routes.   A lot of Interstate lane miles as well.  Many limited access routes were built in the forties and fifties, hence the narrow profile/cross sections.   
2. Severe weather - deicing chemicals and rock salt used   
3. Cost of labor - "prevailing wage" etc
4. Politics, just like pretty much everywhere else   

74/171FAN

Quote from: 74/171FAN on May 10, 2022, 02:51:18 PM
PennDOT - District 8 News: PennDOT Invites Public to Comment on I-83 South Bridge Project

PennDOT - District 8 News: CANCELLED: PennDOT Invites Public to Comment on I-83 South Bridge Project

Quote​The Commonwealth Court issued an order on May 18 stopping work related to the Major Bridge P3 initiative. Accordingly we have cancelled the public hearings associated with the project.

Finally finding clarification on this.

sbeaver44

My scorching hot take on the I-83 South Bridge is, if you're going to charge $1-2 toll on it...make the Turnpike bridge not $3.90 toll by plate/$1.70 EZPass between 83 and 283.  Have it be free or reduced toll, maybe a commuter plan.  Encourage traffic coming from York/Baltimore that isn't going to downtown Harrisburg use 76->283N. 

Right now you have a perfectly good 6 lane bridge sitting at like 20K AADT (the Turnpike) while I-83 sits at 6x that. 

Also I know they really can't but please fix that god awful merge from 83N to 581W.  That backs up in the morning sometimes as far as the Turnpike.

I fear what happens if you make no changes and begin tolling 83...Market St bridge is going to be nuts.

74/171FAN

So I went to get my car serviced today, and I noticed the demolition of buildings on the south side of I-83 between 19th St and Paxton St is already in progress.  I am a bit surprised by this as I thought construction was not to start until at least the mid-2020s if not later.

Alps

Quote from: 74/171FAN on June 20, 2022, 12:16:12 PM
So I went to get my car serviced today, and I noticed the demolition of buildings on the south side of I-83 between 19th St and Paxton St is already in progress.  I am a bit surprised by this as I thought construction was not to start until at least the mid-2020s if not later.
ROW can take a few years to complete. Probably advancing whatever they can.

Gnutella

Because many Interstates in Pennsylvania were built in the 1940s and 1950s, and grandfathered into the system. The fact that Pennsylvania has almost as many miles of roads to maintain as Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island and Vermont combined doesn't help either, because resources get spread thinner.

Rothman

Quote from: Gnutella on July 31, 2022, 11:33:44 PM

Because many Interstates in Pennsylvania were built in the 1940s and 1950s, and grandfathered into the system. The fact that Pennsylvania has almost as many miles of roads to maintain as Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island and Vermont combined doesn't help either, because resources get spread thinner.
If we're talking about state-maintained system mileage rather than total mileage, it makes me wonder which kinds of roads PA maintains that the likes of NY leaves up to municipalities.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

vdeane

I'm not sure how dense the quadrant route network is, but those would be county routes in NY, so they probably comprise a good chunk of the extra mileage.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

74/171FAN

Latest I-83 East Shore Section 3 Update:

https://www.i-83beltway.com/projects/east-shore-section-3.php

QuoteConcurrent with final design of the I-83 East Shore Section 3 Project, the Greater Harrisburg Area Susquehanna River Bridge Master Plan was completed which evaluated the structural condition of the South Bridge and four other Susquehanna River bridge crossings. It was determined that the South Bridge needed to advance as an independent project and include the portion of I-83 East Shore Section 3 between the River and Cameron Street including the Front Street/2nd Street interchange. View the I-83 South Bridge Project. As a result, the I-83 East Shore Section 3 Project limits were reduced and now only includes the area from Cameron Street to just east of 29th Street, see Figure 1.

The approved October 2019 Categorical Exclusion Evaluation (CEE) document for I-83 East Shore Section 3, along with all associated technical documents, were updated to reflect the shortening of the Logical Termini and other design updates which have been publicly shared through the project website. During this process, it was found that the current project would not have substantial new environmental impacts beyond what was previously presented in the CEE. While it was originally anticipated that the environmental clearance would remain a CEE level document, based on new guidance from the U. S. Department of Transportation, FHWA and PennDOT determined that an Environmental Assessment (EA) is now an appropriate class of action to document the project. As a result, the SR 0083, Section 079 EA builds upon the approved 2019 CEE and associated technical documents in accordance with the National Environmental Policy Act and current federal guidance.

The EA will soon be available for review electronically on this website and in hardcopy in locations to be announced. A follow-up email will be sent with a link to the document and a formal announcement and press release of the EA availability will be circulated in the near future.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.