Regional Boards > Northeast

Commodore Barry vs Delaware Memorial Bridge: shunpiking?

<< < (2/5) > >>

storm2k:

--- Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 23, 2022, 09:33:23 AM ---From the Philly area and South, all Delaware River bridges with the DRPA, BCBC and DRBA went to one way tolling on 10/1/92, to prevent the situation you mentioned. Going into NJ, there was never an advantage using one over another in regards to completely avoiding a toll. http://www.drpa.org/about/history.html

Going into PA or DE, the DRPA bridges always had a higher fare, or a fare same as the Del Mem Bridge. Today, the toll on the DRPA bridges is $5, DRBA is $5 Cash/$4.75 EZ Pass, and BCBC is $4 Cash/$3 EZ Pass.  In 1992, the DRPA fare was $2 (was 90 cents when the toll was a two way toll); I don't recall the exact toll on the Del. Mem. Bridge.

--- End quote ---

Huh. I remember going to see my grandmother who was at a place in Pennsauken in early 1992 and we sometimes took 206 -> 95 -> Betsy Ross Br -> 130) and I do not remember paying a toll coming back into NJ (I do remember all the "NO TOLL THIS DIRECTION" signs).

jeffandnicole:

--- Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on January 23, 2022, 01:15:09 PM ---Tolls aside, is there another advantage for using Commodore Barry over the Delaware Memorial? That stretch of 95 is not the best.

--- End quote ---

Unless there's construction or congestion on 295 approaching the Delaware Memorial (which DE will absolutely refuse to mention on the VMSs on 95), there's no advantage.

yakra:
DERP!

I was assuming our trip began in Newark, but that's surely incorrect.
It's much more likely we started at the south end of the DE3 corridor, whence the Delaware Memorial Bridge would add about 10 mi to our trip.
https://travelmapping.net//user/mapview.php?u=yakra&rg=DE

So the "habit formed decades before" bit checks out, being a sensible route between Pennyhill/Carrcroft & New England.

jeffandnicole:

--- Quote from: yakra on January 29, 2022, 02:03:01 PM ---DERP!

I was assuming our trip began in Newark, but that's surely incorrect.
It's much more likely we started at the south end of the DE3 corridor, whence the Delaware Memorial Bridge would add about 10 mi to our trip.
https://travelmapping.net//user/mapview.php?u=yakra&rg=DE

So the "habit formed decades before" bit checks out, being a sensible route between Pennyhill/Carrcroft & New England.

--- End quote ---

Especially when the Delaware Memorial Bridge toll was $4, I figured DE 52 was the break point for me. Anything from there and North, I would usually take the Commodore Barry. If it was south of there, I frequently went down to the Delaware Memorial. Even though it was longer in mileage, it was usually faster and the cheaper toll compensated for the distance.

DeaconG:
Up until 2008 or so, you could go eastbound into Jersey on the Walt Whitman and then westbound back on the Ben Franklin and paid no toll-did it every time I visited fam in Philly...and then they got smart and made Benny two way to close the loophole.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version