News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

New CA tollway entry ramp signing

Started by MarkF, March 05, 2020, 12:48:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkF

New advance signing for the 241 toll road was put up recently:

The old ones had no mention of the road being tolled.

skluth

Quote from: MarkF on June 23, 2020, 12:25:01 AM
New advance signing for the 241 toll road was put up recently:

The old ones had no mention of the road being tolled.

I like that sign. Simple and to the point.

JUHSD-rvalencia

Quote from: MarkF on March 05, 2020, 12:48:27 AM
They put these up a week or two ago along the 241, adding the yellow TOLL sign:

Getting a bit cluttered.

Holy mother of pearl! The way how they put these up is very, very absurd! That is not how Caltrans used to do back in the good old glory days. I also saw that the directional auxiliary sign should be underneath the route shield, not on top like Nevada does. I've recreated the ones that were originally as from the Caltrans technical guide or those that were destroyed by traffic / vandalized if were placed near a busy sidewalk (i.e. Interstate 280 southbound entrance in Daly City).

Version I've recreated, but with a clean look than the original with FHWA D and D(M) or oversized text:

As what's supposed to be on Interstate 280 in both directions:

On Interstate 380 in San Bruno:

On CA 1:

On U.S. 101:

P.S. I've also created the one if it were to be in the Philippines (to be discussed in International Highways section)

roadfro

Quote from: JUHSD-rvalencia on June 25, 2020, 01:07:44 AM
Holy mother of pearl! The way how they put these up is very, very absurd! That is not how Caltrans used to do back in the good old glory days. I also saw that the directional auxiliary sign should be underneath the route shield, not on top like Nevada does.

I don't know whether the placement of the directional banner is specified in a Caltrans spec somewhere... But the national MUTCD standard places the directional banner above the route shield (and above any other banners, such as "ALT", "BUSINESS", "TOLL", etc.).

There are a few one-offs in Nevada of the directional banner below the shield. If I come across one, I'll edit with an example.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Alps

Quote from: roadfro on June 25, 2020, 11:40:04 AM
Quote from: JUHSD-rvalencia on June 25, 2020, 01:07:44 AM
Holy mother of pearl! The way how they put these up is very, very absurd! That is not how Caltrans used to do back in the good old glory days. I also saw that the directional auxiliary sign should be underneath the route shield, not on top like Nevada does.

I don't know whether the placement of the directional banner is specified in a Caltrans spec somewhere... But the national MUTCD standard places the directional banner above the route shield (and above any other banners, such as "ALT", "BUSINESS", "TOLL", etc.).

There are a few one-offs in Nevada of the directional banner below the shield. If I come across one, I'll edit with an example.
JUHSD, by the way, please limit discussion to the topic at hand. Additional graphics should be in the "Road Related Illustrations" board. I moved one of your posts there.

MarkF

The resigning along the CA133/CA 241 toll roads continues.  The overhead exit sign on I-5 at CA 133 was replaced recently.  It now notes Fastrack:

compared to the old signage:
https://goo.gl/maps/XW7xrjVgFAwhEs4A9

Also, at the pay points, there is no longer any reference to ExpressAccount:

old:
https://goo.gl/maps/er4TX7BzEowjRCsz9

And the stoplights at some interchanges are getting the yellow borders added.

myosh_tino

Quote from: MarkF on September 06, 2020, 12:37:52 AM
The resigning along CA 241 continues.  The overhead exit sign on I-5 at CA 241 was replaced recently.  It now notes Fastrack:

That layout looks absolutely horrible! They probably should have gone with a 120" panel instead of a 110" but I'm not sure if 10 inches would make much of a difference.  There's too much information crammed into that sign.

That's also being done up here in Northern California.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

SeriesE

Quote from: myosh_tino on September 07, 2020, 02:18:54 AM
The resigning along CA 241 continues.  The overhead exit sign on I-5 at CA 241 was replaced recently.  It now notes Fastrack:

That layout looks absolutely horrible! They probably should have gone with a 120" panel instead of a 110" but I'm not sure if 10 inches would make much of a difference.  There's too much information crammed into that sign.

That's also being done up here in Northern California.

A wider sign would also work to fit the information without feeling cramped.

theroadwayone

Quote from: myosh_tino on September 07, 2020, 02:18:54 AM

Rubbing raw capsaicin into your eyes is less unpleasant on them, even if just moderately, than looking at that.

Mod note: Fixed quoting –Roadfro

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.