News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-5 Sacramento River Canyon

Started by Max Rockatansky, November 17, 2020, 10:02:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

In terms of scenery along Interstate 5 in California most of the attention goes to the Ridge Route/Grapevine segment from San Fernando north to San Joaquin Valley.  The other highly scenic segment of I-5 in California can be found in the Sacramento River Canyon north of Shasta Lake City.  I-5 north of Shasta Lake City largely is a build up of the 1940s era US Route 99 alignment which was relocated to make way for the Shasta Lake Reservoir.  The article below explores the beginning of the State Highway era in the Sacramento River Canyon in the form of Legislative Route 3 as it evolved from; the Pacific Highway, US Route 99, to Interstate 5. 

https://www.gribblenation.org/2020/11/interstate-5-in-sacramento-river-canyon.html

sparker

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 17, 2020, 10:02:18 PM
In terms of scenery along Interstate 5 in California most of the attention goes to the Ridge Route/Grapevine segment from San Fernando north to San Joaquin Valley.  The other highly scenic segment of I-5 in California can be found in the Sacramento River Canyon north of Shasta Lake City.  I-5 north of Shasta Lake City largely is a build up of the 1940s era US Route 99 alignment which was relocated to make way for the Shasta Lake Reservoir.  The article below explores the beginning of the State Highway era in the Sacramento River Canyon in the form of Legislative Route 3 as it evolved from; the Pacific Highway, US Route 99, to Interstate 5. 

https://www.gribblenation.org/2020/11/interstate-5-in-sacramento-river-canyon.html

I was on the last segment of I-5 to be fully built out to Interstate standards (Vollmers-Castella) about a week after it opened in early 1992 -- after 6 years of piece-by-piece construction that, for the most part, maintained the original US 99 4-lane expressway -- complete with "double/double" yellow lines -- as a 55 mph through facility during the construction process (a minor miracle in itself!).  I was making about 4-6 trips per year from the Bay Area to Seattle back then and thus witnessed that final upgrade as it progressed.  The most impressive part of the project -- the double crossing of the river at the "oxbow" north of Vollmers, opened in late 1987. 

Max Rockatansky

Thanks, I added what you noted to the blog.  Suffice to say post 1966 I'm somewhat limited to what I can find given the CHPW ended that year.  Even still, it is a good reminder for me to double check the latter Division of Highways Maps and Caltrans State Maps.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.