News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Interstate 73/74

Started by Voyager, January 18, 2009, 08:09:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sprjus4

Quote from: tjcreasy on January 27, 2022, 07:24:26 PM
Yes albeit far from modern interstate standards.
But my point is... there's no cross streets which is what was said.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: ahj2000 on January 27, 2022, 08:34:59 AM
So if the beltway is done by 2026, how much work needs to be done on US 52 to bring it to I-77? I only drove over it once, but from what I can remember, that was a decently quality route

Quote from: VTGoose on January 27, 2022, 09:08:13 AM
The actual route isn't bad but there are a lot of cross streets

Quote from: sprjus4 on January 27, 2022, 01:01:23 PM
US-52 is a full freeway with overpasses and ramps between Winston-Salem and Mt. Airy?

But the upgraded sections have been brought up to full Interstate standards.  There's the upgraded King/Tobaccoville interchange (US-52 Exit 123) and the new bridges over the Little Yadkin River just north of King.  There's no doubt in my mind that NCDOT wants to make the full upgrade.  But there is no incentive to dump money into converting US-52 into I-74 when the older road is posted at 65 MPH.  [Insert same ole' rant here].

The Ghostbuster

Once the Interstate 74 portion of the Winston-Salem Northern Beltway is completed, there will still be a lot of work to complete 74 through the State of North Carolina. There will be upgrading the US 52 freeway to Interstate Standards, and ditto with upgrading the US 74 corridor to Interstate Standards, as well as deciding on a route to connect the US 74 corridor with the Carolina Bays Parkway in South Carolina (assuming Interstate 74 will still go that way). Given all that work, I could see the upgrades lasting through at least 2040 or 2050. Given all the other corridors in North Carolina that are receiving upgrades and future Interstate designations, North Carolina definitely has their work cut out for them.

LM117

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on January 27, 2022, 10:05:15 PM
Once the Interstate 74 portion of the Winston-Salem Northern Beltway is completed, there will still be a lot of work to complete 74 through the State of North Carolina. There will be upgrading the US 52 freeway to Interstate Standards, and ditto with upgrading the US 74 corridor to Interstate Standards, as well as deciding on a route to connect the US 74 corridor with the Carolina Bays Parkway in South Carolina (assuming Interstate 74 will still go that way).

I seriously doubt I-74 will go to South Carolina, given the sensitive environment it would have to go through to reach the CBP from US-74. I can't see the Army Corps of Engineers signing off on that. Plus, Myrtle Beach is laser-focused on I-73 and no longer cares about I-74. I don't think Myrtle Beach would object to I-74 going to Wilmington as long as they get I-73.

QuoteGiven all the other corridors in North Carolina that are receiving upgrades and future Interstate designations, North Carolina definitely has their work cut out for them.

You can thank Toyota for one of them.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

VTGoose

Quote from: sprjus4 on January 27, 2022, 09:39:42 PM
But my point is... there's no cross streets which is what was said.

I stand corrected. I was making multiple trips two years ago and just remember the section from the end of the interstate into downtown wasn't the greatest ride.
"Get in the fast lane, grandma!  The bingo game is ready to roll!"

CoolAngrybirdsrio4

Quote from: LM117 on January 28, 2022, 07:50:57 AM
Once the Interstate 74 portion of the Winston-Salem Northern Beltway is completed, there will still be a lot of work to complete 74 through the State of North Carolina. There will be upgrading the US 52 freeway to Interstate Standards, and ditto with upgrading the US 74 corridor to Interstate Standards, as well as deciding on a route to connect the US 74 corridor with the Carolina Bays Parkway in South Carolina (assuming Interstate 74 will still go that way).

I seriously doubt I-74 will go to South Carolina, given the sensitive environment it would have to go through to reach the CBP from US-74. I can't see the Army Corps of Engineers signing off on that. Plus, Myrtle Beach is laser-focused on I-73 and no longer cares about I-74. I don't think Myrtle Beach would object to I-74 going to Wilmington as long as they get I-73.

QuoteGiven all the other corridors in North Carolina that are receiving upgrades and future Interstate designations, North Carolina definitely has their work cut out for them.

If anything, I would like I-74 go to Wilmington as there would already be an interstate heading towards Myrtle Beach from the same point (in this case, Rockingham, NC)
Renewed roadgeek

Strider

Quote from: CoolAngrybirdsrio4 on January 28, 2022, 03:15:31 PM

If anything, I would like I-74 go to Wilmington as there would already be an interstate heading towards Myrtle Beach from the same point (in this case, Rockingham, NC)

That, and also.. SC is focusing on building I-73, not I-74. Honestly, I think I-74 should have just ended at I-73 near Asheboro instead of multiplexing it all the way down to Rockingham.

CoolAngrybirdsrio4

Quote from: Strider on January 31, 2022, 10:51:14 PM

That, and also.. SC is focusing on building I-73, not I-74. Honestly, I think I-74 should have just ended at I-73 near Asheboro instead of multiplexing it all the way down to Rockingham.

Great to know about the I-73/74 system. If I-73 is ending at Myrtle Beach, then I-74 could just end at Wilmington as there were signed (as future I-74) segments between Rockingham and Wilmington.
Renewed roadgeek

tolbs17

Quote from: CoolAngrybirdsrio4 on February 01, 2022, 01:26:07 AM

Great to know about the I-73/74 system. If I-73 is ending at Myrtle Beach, then I-74 could just end at Wilmington as there were signed (as future I-74) segments between Rockingham and Wilmington.
I don't think it even needs to go to Wilmington, it can end near Asheboro like Strider said.

ahj2000

Quote from: tolbs17 on February 01, 2022, 02:23:10 AM
Quote from: CoolAngrybirdsrio4 on February 01, 2022, 01:26:07 AM

I don't think it even needs to go to Wilmington, it can end near Asheboro like Strider said.
Leave Wilmington for I-38! (/s...maybe)

vdeane

If you're going to get rid of I-74 east of I-73, I would think the remainder in NC would be better off as an I-x73 number given that the WV/OH portion will never be built.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

CoolAngrybirdsrio4

Quote from: vdeane on February 01, 2022, 12:54:33 PM
If you're going to get rid of I-74 east of I-73, I would think the remainder in NC would be better off as an I-x73 number given that the WV/OH portion will never be built.

What I was going to think too, especially with me questioning how busy the Charlotte-Wilmington corridor is.
Renewed roadgeek

sprjus4

Quote from: CoolAngrybirdsrio4 on February 01, 2022, 07:42:48 PM

What I was going to think too, especially with me questioning how busy the Charlotte-Wilmington corridor is.
That corridor is warranted, however completely independent of the I-74 system.

rickmastfan67

Or just make it a Southern I-79, which at least works numbering wise.

vdeane

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on February 01, 2022, 08:32:24 PM

Or just make it a Southern I-79, which at least works numbering wise.
It's a bit short for a 2di and the other half of why I liked my idea was to eliminate a 2di, but at least with I-79 we could claim that there's a silent concurrency with I-77.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

CoolAngrybirdsrio4

Quote from: sprjus4 on February 01, 2022, 08:00:16 PM
Quote from: CoolAngrybirdsrio4 on February 01, 2022, 07:42:48 PM

That corridor is warranted, however completely independent of the I-74 system.

That is true other than the Rockingham-Wilmington portion being partially signed.
Renewed roadgeek

tjcreasy

I like the I-79 idea a lot. Co-sign I-79 on I-77 until US 19 can be upgraded.

tolbs17

Even if I-74 DID go to Wilmington, new alignments would need to be built around Delco and Carolina Pointe. Development is a little too heavy to upgrade on the existing alignment.

tolbs17

Quote from: Roadsguy on October 25, 2021, 06:49:23 PM
Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on October 25, 2021, 09:27:01 AM
I was under the impression that there was to be an interim opening to NC 66/University Pkwy before opening to US 52.

That was the original plan, but I guess someone at NCDOT realized at the last minute that building the beltway almost to US 52 and dumping into local roads at the last minute would be a really bad idea, because they said at some point that a connector to US 52 to the north will open at the same time as the NC 66-US 311 segment. Presumably, this will come in the form of completing at least part of the new I-74 mainline alignment early, serving as a replacement for the preexisting two-lane connector that is essentially being upgraded into the beltway.
Wikipedia shows that the highway will open to traffic on September 2021 (which has passed already) and it shows September 2022.

When looking at the sentinel explorer, you can see work looks nearly complete from the NC-66 (university parkway) to US-311 when compared to US-52.

And I feel like the same would be done that way for I-295 in Fayetteville. Work has appeared to have stalled near the Camden Road project for that reason.

And to add, the part that goes from the Salem Parkway to I-40 as well as the part from I-40 to I-74 (former US-311) will be all done in one phase. The contract for the I-40 to the I-74 piece is expected to be awarded in October.

PColumbus73

If US 74 is fully upgraded, I can support signing it as I-34 from I-26 to Wilmington.

I definitely agree that extending I-74 to Myrtle Beach would be functionally useless, it wouldn't even function that well as an evacuation route. Instead of I-74, a 4-laned divided highway from about SC 22 to US 74 in Chadbourn would be much more beneficial to the area, maybe as an extension of US 378.

tolbs17

But until now, an interstate is currently not planned to go to Wilmington.

wdcrft63

Except here on the Forum.

Strider

Quote from: tolbs17 on February 20, 2022, 10:32:51 AM

It should just go to Wilmington. Most of us have been saying that. I don't see the point of having I-74 going to Myrtle Beach as I-73 is eventually going there when built.

tolbs17

Quote from: Strider on February 20, 2022, 07:04:11 PM

It should just go to Wilmington. Most of us have been saying that. I don't see the point of having I-74 going to Myrtle Beach as I-73 is eventually going there when built.
Yeah it makes no reason why it should go to Myrtle beach instead of Wilmington but I feel like the I-74 corridor east of I-95 is dead. I feel like I-74 should just terminate at I-95 if the corridor east of that is dead officially. I have a feeling it could possibly stay as US-74. Yes there is work being done to convert it into a freeway and bringing it up to interstate standards, but I don't think NCDOT and SCDOT even bother building I-74 east of Lumberton anymore.

wdcrft63

Quote from: tolbs17 on February 20, 2022, 07:22:12 PM
Quote from: Strider on February 20, 2022, 07:04:11 PM

Yeah it makes no reason why it should go to Myrtle beach instead of Wilmington but I feel like the I-74 corridor east of I-95 is dead. I feel like I-74 should just terminate at I-95 if the corridor east of that is dead officially. I have a feeling it could possibly stay as US-74. Yes there is work being done to convert it into a freeway and bringing it up to interstate standards, but I don't think NCDOT and SCDOT even bother building I-74 east of Lumberton anymore.
In the relatively near future I-74 will be complete east of Lumberton to the mythical point where it would turn to Myrtle Beach. Then what? Well, nothing, because we know it's not making that turn. How long would it take then for people to ask, why don't we finish this thing to Wilmington? My guess, not vey long.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.