News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

You are too old if you remember.......

Started by roadman65, August 17, 2013, 07:29:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman

For years, The Wizard of Oz (which was one of my sister's two favorite movies of all time - the other one was It's a Wonderful Life) was shown on TV only once a year.  IIRC, it usually aired sometime around Easter.

In the pre-cable TV network era, holiday-related specials were the same way - one airing per year.  At Christmas, the only exception was It's a Wonderful Life, which was in public domain for quite some time (and, thus, shown on every TV station numerous times) until NBC re-purchased the rights several years back.  There was a Cheers Christmas-themed episode where somebody commented that It's A Wonderful Life was showing on the bar TV, and somebody else remarked "Yep, It's a Wonderful Month on Channel 22 - they've been showing that non-stop."
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

thenetwork

Quote from: roadman65 on October 03, 2013, 03:53:48 PM

However, you can say one network MeTV is bringing back the closing theme songs as many have eliminated it for network TV show previews with the credits at the bottom in small fast letters flipping by.  It is good to hear the ending of the Beverly Hillbillies closing song with the cast waving at the audience in sight as TBS and many others do not feature it.

You can say you are too old to remember the closing theme songs on television shows!

The way networks "spoiled" the closing credits of the shows way back when, was they had Booth Announcers read one or two descriptions of future shows (i.e. "Saturday...Gopher falls in love with the girl of his dreams...or is her sister??  On the Looooovve Boat, then on Fantasy Island, one couple is faced with a life or death dilemma. It all begins at 9 on Saturday. Next, stay tuned for Three's Company, on ABC."

By the time they got through their spiels, you maybe only heard about 10 seconds of the entire theme "in the clear".

But at least you could read all the credits in actual size!

bugo

I'm only 39, but "Indianapolis Colts", "Arizona (and Phoenix) Cardinals", and "St Louis Rams" all sound wrong to me.

Henry

Quote from: bugo on October 04, 2013, 10:05:47 AM
I'm only 39, but "Indianapolis Colts", "Arizona (and Phoenix) Cardinals", and "St Louis Rams" all sound wrong to me.
As do "Utah Jazz", "Los Angeles Lakers" and "New Orleans Hornets" (who are thankfully giving that nickname back to Charlotte one year from now).
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

msubulldog

Some others:
1)Don Pardo being the announcer on Jeopardy! instead of Johnny Gilbert.
2)Popular shows having syndicated episodes with different titles (e.g., Jim Rockford, Private Investigator for reruns of The Rockford Files).
3)MLB players wearing their game jerseys during batting practice.
4)Being able to use oil company credit cards at motels (Gulf @ Holiday Inn, Exxon @ Howard Johnson's, Amoco @ Best Western or Quality Inn--to name a few).
"But the gateway to life is very narrow and the road is difficult, and only a few ever find it."
Matt 7:14, NLT

roadman

Quote from: msubulldog on October 07, 2013, 09:44:22 PM
Popular shows having syndicated episodes with different titles (e.g., Jim Rockford, Private Investigator for reruns of The Rockford Files).
As I recall, that practice was done only for shows that were airing first run episodes and having re-runs in syndication at the same time.  I can think of several shows from the 1960s and 1970s (Beverly Hillbillies and F Troop among them) that never endured that fate because they ended prime time runs before going into syndication.

I once heard that the event that caused studios to finally stop the nonsense of "dual titles" was when M*A*S*H* was slated to go into syndication.  The proposed title would have been 4077th MASH.  Apparently, this change raised serious objections from the show's producers.

Of course, some shows had their titles changed during first-run as well for clarification.  One of the best examples of this is when "Black Sheep Squadron" replaced "Baa Baa Black Sheep" as the show's title.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

formulanone

^ It's also a good thing that practice wasn't continued when Law & Order went into syndication.

PHLBOS

Quote from: roadman on October 08, 2013, 04:32:51 PMI once heard that the event that caused studios to finally stop the nonsense of "dual titles" was when M*A*S*H* was slated to go into syndication.  The proposed title would have been 4077th MASH.  Apparently, this change raised serious objections from the show's producers.
When Happy Days first went into morning reruns (but still on ABC); the titles stayed the same but when reruns started airing in the afternoon/evenings on other (UHF) stations; it was renamed Happy Days Again.  IIRC, the latter occurred after M*A*S*H started airing reruns on other stations.  Similar happened with Laverne & Shirley reruns being renamed Laverne & Shirley and Company.

Thankfully, reruns of those two shows (now occasionally on cable stations) go by the original names and titles.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

briantroutman

(emphasis added)

Quote from: thenetwork on October 04, 2013, 09:19:51 AM
The way networks "spoiled" the closing credits of the shows way back when, was they had Booth Announcers read one or two descriptions of future shows (i.e. "Saturday...Gopher falls in love with the girl of his dreams...or is her sister??  On the Looooovve Boat, then on Fantasy Island, one couple is faced with a life or death dilemma. It all begins at 9 on Saturday. Next, stay tuned for Three's Company, on ABC."

What?! Spoiled?! This fictional spiel would have been voiced by Ernie Anderson...perhaps the greatest network announcer ever.

Here is a clip of him on Letterman years ago...just an incredible talent.
http://bit.ly/1bWteFd

thenetwork

Quote from: briantroutman on October 08, 2013, 05:54:15 PM
(emphasis added)

What?! Spoiled?! This fictional spiel would have been voiced by Ernie Anderson...perhaps the greatest network announcer ever.

You are too old if you remember that Ernie Anderson's biggest claim to fame before he became the voice of ABC was being one of the first and one of the most famous Late Night B-Movie hosts of all time, Ghoulardi!

Brandon

Quote from: thenetwork on October 08, 2013, 07:58:59 PM
Quote from: briantroutman on October 08, 2013, 05:54:15 PM
(emphasis added)

You are too old if you remember that Ernie Anderson's biggest claim to fame before he became the voice of ABC was being one of the first and one of the most famous Late Night B-Movie hosts of all time, Ghoulardi!

Is that anything like Svengoolie?
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

briantroutman

hbelkins

I remember when this thread wasn't in Off-Topic.  :bigass:

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

PHLBOS

A few for eastern Massachusetts:

North Shore Shopping Center (rather than Mall)

Jordan Marsh (department store)

Filenes (including Filenes Basement) (both department stores)

When Levitz (furniture store) was called J. Homestock

Woolworth's

Child World being the toy store.

J.M. Fields (department store)

Pargon Park

Amusements along Revere Beach

Towns like Marblehead & Nahant having more than one gas station present & open.  Neither town has any now.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

agentsteel53

add Lechmere, Zayre, Caldor, etc, to the list of defunct New England department stores.

I believe Zayre's successor, Ames, is gone as well.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

PHLBOS

GPS does NOT equal GOD

agentsteel53

Quote from: PHLBOS on October 09, 2013, 01:30:55 PM
Quote from: agentsteel53 on October 09, 2013, 01:29:47 PM
add Lechmere
Will the MBTA ever rename that Green Line station?

I don't believe there is reason to.  it's a well-known landmark.

just like no one's really renamed the Sears Tower.

jake@aaroads.com

1995hoo

add Lechmere, Zayre, Caldor, etc, to the list of defunct New England department stores.

I remember Zayre's in the DC area too. We briefly had one Caldor in a former Lord & Taylor store. It's now a Sears.

For those of you in the DC area, anyone else remember the Washington Shopping Plate? It was a credit card issued locally for use at a number of DC-area merchants, all of which are now defunct: Hecht's, Jelleff's, Kann's, Lansburgh's, Raleigh's, Woodward & Lothrop, and Garfinckel's. The card was light blue (similar to the shade associated with baby boys) and it did not have a magnetic strip; I don't remember how they authorized the charges. My father had one and it was still accepted at Hecht's right up until they were converted to Macy's in 2006, so he insisted on using it, much to my mother's embarrassment because invariably the younger employees had never seen one before, had no idea what it was, and wouldn't accept it until an older employee came over to see what the problem was, recognized the card, and showed them what to do.

Garfinckel's was the first DC-area department store to accept a non-local charge card (American Express). I recall it was also very clear that black people were not welcome in the flagship Garfinckel's downtown even in the late 1970s, even though legal segregation was long gone.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

cpzilliacus

Paying tolls on the Autoroute system in Quebec, in particular on A 15 between the U.S. border and Montreal and (what is now) A 20 (I think it had a different route number in the 1960's) between the Ontario border and Montreal.

Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 09, 2013, 02:28:06 PM

I remember Zayre's in the DC area too. We briefly had one Caldor in a former Lord & Taylor store. It's now a Sears.

Zayres was, IMO, in many ways a predecessor to WalMart, though WalMart is much better in terms of inventory, selection and even customer service.

In other words, Zayres was a miserable place to shop. 

Another chain that  competed (in some ways) with Zayres in the east was E J Korvettes.

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 09, 2013, 02:28:06 PM
For those of you in the DC area, anyone else remember the Washington Shopping Plate? It was a credit card issued locally for use at a number of DC-area merchants, all of which are now defunct: Hecht's, Jelleff's, Kann's, Lansburgh's, Raleigh's, Woodward & Lothrop, and Garfinckel's. The card was light blue (similar to the shade associated with baby boys) and it did not have a magnetic strip; I don't remember how they authorized the charges. My father had one and it was still accepted at Hecht's right up until they were converted to Macy's in 2006, so he insisted on using it, much to my mother's embarrassment because invariably the younger employees had never seen one before, had no idea what it was, and wouldn't accept it until an older employee came over to see what the problem was, recognized the card, and showed them what to do.

Garfinckel's was the first DC-area department store to accept a non-local charge card (American Express). I recall it was also very clear that black people were not welcome in the flagship Garfinckel's downtown even in the late 1970s, even though legal segregation was long gone.

My late Mother had one of those Washington Shopping Plates.  She used it at Woodward & Lothrop and Hecht Company.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

agentsteel53

jake@aaroads.com

msubulldog

I think Zayre's had a lot of stores in the mid-south--them and Jitney Jungle.
"But the gateway to life is very narrow and the road is difficult, and only a few ever find it."
Matt 7:14, NLT

CNGL-Leudimin

... when this thread was in General Highway Talk :sombrero:
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

roadman

Quote from: PHLBOS on October 09, 2013, 01:30:55 PM
add Lechmere
Will the MBTA ever rename that Green Line station?
No.  Because the station is named for Lechmere Square, not the department store - which took its name from the square, and not the other way around.  Before they cloned themselves into shopping malls (which is what eventually killed them off), Lechmere Sales' only location was where the CambridgeSide Galleria is now.  Thier original logo included a typical Cambridge gas street lamp.

Takumi

I *barely* remember Zayre. It closed in 1988, IIRC, and since I was born in 1986 I don't have much memory of it. Interestingly, Zayre's two spin-off stores, TJ Maxx and Marshall's, are both doing well.

I remember an Ames being around semi-locally until 1992 or so, but the chain closed about 10 years later.

Another defunct New England chain store would be Bradlees. The local one lasted until 1996, but the chain closed around the same time Ames did.

A Richmond-based department store chain I barely remember is Thalheimers. It mostly was present in Virginia and the Carolinas. It was bought by Hecht's in 1991 I believe, and became said store about a year later. Hecht's was itself bought out by Macy's when I was in college.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.