News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

You are too old if you remember.......

Started by roadman65, August 17, 2013, 07:29:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D-Dey65

Quote from: DeaconG on November 24, 2013, 09:16:43 PM
Or using a modified coat hanger to get UHF stations when the loop that came with your TV broke...
Been there. Hey, who used to get radio and TV signals from other parts of the country that they're not supposed to be in?
:wave:

And who's families had cars that got radio signals from places like Pittsburgh and Kansas City while driving on the Long Island Expressway?
:wave:

Quote from: roadman65 on November 10, 2013, 03:11:46 PM
Also on that note, when in Florida or anyplace warm year round, if you moved to either of these two places from any of the 4 season's states and wore short pants in 60 degree weather, the locals would look at you funny.  I remember when people from Florida would consider low 70s with no humidity as too cold for shorts or even to go swimming in.    It seems like blood does not thin out anymore here in Florida even when it drops down in the 30's with a strong windchill!
Don't count on it. I frequently encounter senior citizens who can't handle temperatures under 60 degrees, and I'm often one of the only people around who scoff at 40 degree weather.

thenetwork

When Domino's Pizza had their own little hatchback cars which delivered their pizza.

roadman65

How about when boom boxes were carried by almost every young person on the streets in urban and even suburban areas.  Even the beach back in the 90's people would bring them there as it was very common.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

vtk

Quote from: formulanone on November 24, 2013, 09:05:18 PM
the tiny white dot that remained on the center of the screen when you shut it off.

Ours made a blue & green crescent shape in the center. Dad said it was because the TV was old, so maybe it had been a concentrated white spot when the set was new.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

PHLBOS

Quote from: roadman65 on November 25, 2013, 08:43:30 AM
How about when boom boxes were carried by almost every young person on the streets in urban and even suburban areas.  Even the beach back in the 90's people would bring them there as it was very common.
As were small, battery-powered transitor radios before the boom-box circa late 60s/early 70s. 

Back in high school, one guy had a boom-box that included a turntable; the thing was as big as a suitcase.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

hm insulators

While were on the subject of music-playing devices, how about stereo consoles? My father had one while I was growing up in the '60s and '70s. These were stereo systems where all the works (receiver, turntable [no CD player in those days, only vinyl records, of course!], controls and so forth) were placed inside huge wooden boxes that looked like pieces of fine furniture. To use it, you first had to open the lid in the top of the box to get at the works. The favorite feature on these was the "automatic record changer" whereas you stacked three or four records on the spindle, then when you turned on the record player, the disk would drop to the turntable and finally, the tone arm would automatically settle on the record. When the record's side was finished playing, the tone arm would lift up and move out of the way to allow the next record to drop on top of the first one.

These days, we vinyl junkies cringe at the thought of the records' grooves scraping against one another, scratching them. Those tone arms were heavy in those days; great at ruining records!
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

PHLBOS

Quote from: hm insulators on November 26, 2013, 03:36:58 PM
While were on the subject of music-playing devices, how about stereo consoles? My father had one while I was growing up in the '60s and '70s. These were stereo systems where all the works (receiver, turntable [no CD player in those days, only vinyl records, of course!], controls and so forth) were placed inside huge wooden boxes that looked like pieces of fine furniture. To use it, you first had to open the lid in the top of the box to get at the works. The favorite feature on these was the "automatic record changer" whereas you stacked three or four records on the spindle, then when you turned on the record player, the disk would drop to the turntable and finally, the tone arm would automatically settle on the record. When the record's side was finished playing, the tone arm would lift up and move out of the way to allow the next record to drop on top of the first one.
Judging by the above-description; it sounds like you're describing a hi-fi (high fidelity, the precursor to the stereo) system.

My brother's then-girlfriend's parents had one of those that was still working even in the late 1980s.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

roadman

For that matter, how about console TVs.  In his younger years (1950s to early 1970s), my father was a TV junkie, and would buy a new (and usually larger) set about every three or four years.  The first set I recall was a early 1960s black and white Magnavox console set (VHF only, no UHF) that had an early remote control.  The channel knob was attached to a motor-activated cam that turned the knob clockwise when you pushed the button on the remote.

You could manually turn the channel knob clockwise, but if you dared to manually turn the knob counter-clockwise (as us kids did on more than one occasion that I recall), it resulted in a visit from the TV repairman, a big repair bill, and usually some form of punishment for whomever Dad determined had turned the knob the wrong way.

Shortly after moving to our second house in 1966, my dad replaced the Magnavox with a larger RCA console that had not only color, but UHF as well.  In addition, my father splurged for an outside antenna.  In 1970, my dad upgraded again, to a Zenith console that was a solid-state set.

The last TV my parents bought was a Sylvania solid state console in 1974, which I took after my mother died in 1989.  That old Sylvania served me very well until about 2005, when the picture tube finally failed.

One of the reasons I remember my father's later TV purchases very well is because I usually went with him to the local stores for the obligatory research.  As there were no box stores or Internet, the "pre-purchase" research for a new TV set could often take between three and eight consecutive Saturday afternoons of going to various dealers before deciding on a suitable model.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

DeaconG

When my family moved into their last home in Philly in 1965, my dad bought a 25-inch color Magnavox console TV; for a kid like me who had to suffer from black and white TV's prior, it was the greatest thing since sliced bread.  Of course, about five years later it dies, it was taken to the local TV repair shop and it was never seen again. (My dad had passed and my mom didn't have the money to pay for it, so that was that).

Fast forward to 1989, when one of my co-workers went out and bought a 25-inch Zenith color console for his house.  I thought he was nuts then (I'd bought a 25-inch Sharp color monitor to replace my first color set), I was even further irritated when he got divorced and moved into my apartment complex in 1990...and guess who had to help him walk that heavy ass POS UP TWO FLIGHTS OF STAIRS to his apartment (the elevator couldn't handle the size).

I was never so glad to see those go by the wayside...
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

DeaconG

These days, we vinyl junkies cringe at the thought of the records' grooves scraping against one another, scratching them. Those tone arms were heavy in those days; great at ruining records!

My aunt in Philly still has hers, a Telefunken bought in the late 50s...of course, it doesn't work any more, but it's a great vintage piece of furniture!  Plus, it had three SHORTWAVE bands! Woo hoo!
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"

roadman65

When TV sets and radios had tubes inside of them.  The local electronics stores used to have a tube tester in each store for the consumer to see if they are still operational.

Sheryl Crowe

elsmere241

Quote from: roadman65 on November 28, 2013, 08:37:16 AM
When TV sets and radios had tubes inside of them.  The local electronics stores used to have a tube tester in each store for the consumer to see if they are still operational.

And the tubes glowed in the dark.  My grandmother's old radio left an interesting reflection in my bedroom at night.

Along those lines - when some radios (including some car radios) were AM only, and some FM stations simulcast on AM.

roadman65

Quote from: elsmere241 on November 28, 2013, 04:08:07 PM

And the tubes glowed in the dark.  My grandmother's old radio left an interesting reflection in my bedroom at night.

Along those lines - when some radios (including some car radios) were AM only, and some FM stations simulcast on AM.
I remember FM radios when they first came out in cars were an option and the consumer's paid extra for it.

I remember when the tape decks, also, came out (both 8 Track and Cassette) as an option too!  It was not until the late 80's tape decks (later CD players) were made standard in autos.  Now, I think that its CD and MP3 which are normal, but surprised AM is still around as I do not know if anyone listens to it anymore.  Not to stereotype individuals, but even political talk radio is moving to FM, or at least in Orlando is.  Q96  FM, Orlando's last Classic Rock Station, became talk radio a few years ago as demographics have shifted in recent years along with whatever 104.5 FM was is now host to Beck and Limbaugh.

Sheryl Crowe

bugo

We had a couple of those growing up.  They had turntables, AM/FM radios, and 8 track tape slots.

roadman65

The auto changers became obsolete long before the turntables vanished as the became semi automatic.   You did not have the spindle and you placed one record at a time, however the tonearm did release itself from the record and return to its resting place with the table shutting off for a few years at least.

That was primarily because when you had two warped discs sitting on top of each other, both would slide from each other causing a fading in and out sound.  Of course, that was the issue with vinyl as it would bend some and all you needed was two records bent and it would do it.

I do remember those cabinets as we had one from Montgomery Ward when I was a youngster.  Then in the 80s and 90s it became consoles where you bought each unit separate and you ran wires between each usually with the tuner acting as amplifier to all other components like CDs, cassettes, and phonographs with speakers you generally would place anywhere you wanted unlike the cabinet that had the speakers within the assembly.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman

Quote from: DeaconG on November 26, 2013, 10:28:23 PM

My aunt in Philly still has hers, a Telefunken bought in the late 50s...of course, it doesn't work any more, but it's a great vintage piece of furniture!  Plus, it had three SHORTWAVE bands! Woo hoo!
Most higher end radios produced by RCA, GE, and Zenith in the 1940s and 1950s (both console and table models) had AM (usually labeled "broadcast" or "BC") and at least one or two shortwave bands as well.  However, FM didn't become popular as a "standard band" on most radios until the mid to late 1960s.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

DeaconG

Quote from: roadman65 on November 28, 2013, 09:00:08 PM
I do remember those cabinets as we had one from Montgomery Ward when I was a youngster.  Then in the 80s and 90s it became consoles where you bought each unit separate and you ran wires between each usually with the tuner acting as amplifier to all other components like CDs, cassettes, and phonographs with speakers you generally would place anywhere you wanted unlike the cabinet that had the speakers within the assembly.

I saw quite a few of those systems while I was in the service during the late 70s and early 80s, usually bought while the individual was overseas (leafing through the AAFES overseas catalog at the stereo systems was usually a painful process if you were stateside).  Pioneer, Technics, Sansui and Yamaha were the systems I remember seeing; usually with a preamp/integrated amp, power amp, equalizer, turntable and cassette deck (with Pioneer you could also add reel-to-reels, dynamic expanders and system timers to the rack as well).  They had pretty much faded out by the late 80s to early 90s with the advent of the A/V receiver, but when they were around, they were in many cases a very affordable way to build a complete system. 

D-Dey65

Quote from: PHLBOS on November 25, 2013, 01:20:01 PM
Back in high school, one guy had a boom-box that included a turntable; the thing was as big as a suitcase.
I vaguely remember seeing one of those, but I've also seen them with black and white TV screens, that were big by today's standards but small compared to normal TV sets. Now you have them with DVD players and small pop-up flat screens.

http://www.iliveelectronics.com/products/boomboxes/portable-music-system-with-dock-for-ipod-and-iphone-5.html

I've seen some old Chrysler brochures, and a lot of them used to offer portable stereos as accessories.

DeaconG

Quote from: D-Dey65 on December 01, 2013, 01:50:28 PM

I vaguely remember seeing one of those, but I've also seen them with black and white TV screens, that were big by today's standards but small compared to normal TV sets. Now you have them with DVD players and small pop-up flat screens.

http://www.iliveelectronics.com/products/boomboxes/portable-music-system-with-dock-for-ipod-and-iphone-5.html

I've seen some old Chrysler brochures, and a lot of them used to offer portable stereos as accessories.

I had one of those, they were made by JVC and had a AM/FM radio, cassette deck and B&W TV built in.  Came in real handy when I used to ride Greyhound back and forth from my home to my duty station.

PHLBOS

Quote from: D-Dey65 on December 01, 2013, 01:50:28 PMI've seen some old Chrysler brochures, and a lot of them used to offer portable stereos as accessories.
DeSoto indeed offered a turn-table as an option in the mid-1950s.  Needless to say, the original intent for this short-lived option was that records would be played while the car was parked.  Obviously, the buying public thought otherwise.  One got pothole jolt and the needle would either scratch or jump.

Sample of a turn-table on a '56 DeSoto:

GPS does NOT equal GOD

DeaconG

Quote from: PHLBOS on December 02, 2013, 10:33:11 AM
Quote from: D-Dey65 on December 01, 2013, 01:50:28 PMI've seen some old Chrysler brochures, and a lot of them used to offer portable stereos as accessories.
DeSoto indeed offered a turn-table as an option in the mid-1950s.  Needless to say, the original intent for this short-lived option was that records would be played while the car was parked.  Obviously, the buying public thought otherwise.  One got pothole jolt and the needle would either scratch or jump.

Two of my mom's friends had them in their cars, one was a Buick Wildcat ('65?) and the other was in a Caddy Coupe De Ville ('66?).  My brother and I got to hear the one in the Wildcat...a bit scratchy but it worked!

PHLBOS

Quote from: DeaconG on December 02, 2013, 11:29:42 PMTwo of my mom's friends had them in their cars, one was a Buick Wildcat ('65?) and the other was in a Caddy Coupe De Ville ('66?).  My brother and I got to hear the one in the Wildcat...a bit scratchy but it worked!
Are you sure that those cars were of the mid-60s vintage?

Doing a quick Google Image Search and the first photo of such is 45 rpm player on a '59 Caddy.

I'm not necessarily doubting you but I just find that it's bit odd that any manufacturer offered such in the mid-60s.  Truth be told, I wasn't aware that such existed until I saw a '56 DeSoto at an auto show that had such.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

DeaconG

Quote from: PHLBOS on December 03, 2013, 08:48:05 AM
Quote from: DeaconG on December 02, 2013, 11:29:42 PMTwo of my mom's friends had them in their cars, one was a Buick Wildcat ('65?) and the other was in a Caddy Coupe De Ville ('66?).  My brother and I got to hear the one in the Wildcat...a bit scratchy but it worked!
Are you sure that those cars were of the mid-60s vintage?

Doing a quick Google Image Search and the first photo of such is 45 rpm player on a '59 Caddy.

I'm not necessarily doubting you but I just find that it's bit odd that any manufacturer offered such in the mid-60s.  Truth be told, I wasn't aware that such existed until I saw a '56 DeSoto at an auto show that had such.

I'm pretty sure of it...by the late 60's you didn't see them offered in any vehicle.  And I do remember that Wildcat!

hm insulators

Hell, I remember tube testers at the grocery store. That way, when your old black-and-white TV crapped out, you could take out the tubes and go to the store and buy a carton of milk, a few cans of cat food and test the tubes! :D
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

Brandon

Quote from: PHLBOS on December 02, 2013, 10:33:11 AM

IIRC, Chrysler sold records that were specifically to be used with this specific record player due to the size of the player.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.