News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Anyone play Cities: Skylines yet?

Started by Zeffy, March 12, 2015, 10:15:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

noelbotevera

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on February 26, 2016, 08:28:27 PM
I just want them to add in support for toll booths and I'll be a happy camper. :)  (Yes, I know I sound like a broken recorded, but seriously, this is something that they need to add!)
There's a toll booth mod  :biggrin:.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: noelbotevera on February 26, 2016, 08:33:34 PM
Quote from: rickmastfan67 on February 26, 2016, 08:28:27 PM
I just want them to add in support for toll booths and I'll be a happy camper. :)  (Yes, I know I sound like a broken recorded, but seriously, this is something that they need to add!)
There's a toll booth mod  :biggrin:.

I have that already downloaded, but it doesn't allow you to get money from tolling a road. :(  Plus it doesn't discourage drivers like a 'real' toll highway would. :(

on_wisconsin

Now if only they had an "Suburban mod" which removed lot size limits and introduced a ton of new low density houses.
"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

JoePCool14

Today I was trying to see if I could just import some simple signs onto some simple "billboards". I've been trying to get Props working on the Asset Editor but am having troubles. Has anyone else tried messing around with that before?

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

authenticroadgeek

Quote from: Zeffy on March 12, 2015, 03:48:09 PM
Steam, but I would also assume there would be physical copies available as well.

Sigh, STEAM. I frickin' hate Steam, but I still have to use it to play some of my computer games. For example...

• Goat Simulator
  • Scribblenauts Unlimited
  • Team Fortress 2
And now I'm gonna have to use it for this. Sigh, and this looks like a really AWESOME game too.

jakeroot

Quote from: authenticroadgeek on March 14, 2016, 05:49:16 PM
Steam, but I would also assume there would be physical copies available as well.

Sigh, STEAM. I frickin' hate Steam, but I still have to use it to play some of my computer games. For example...

• Goat Simulator
  • Team Fortress 2
And now I'm gonna have to use it for this. Sigh, and this looks like a really AWESOME game too.

What's the problem with Steam? I've never experienced any issues with it, and I cannot recall the memory take ever being a notable amount where it might affect an active game. Steam has really good sales, it's easy to manage your games, you can gift things to people, keep track of stats and achievements, etc. I can't think of any downsides, other than how the games are stored on the system, which is slightly different from where a hard copy game might be installed, which may present issues when modding a game. But even then, there's almost always a way around.

Zeffy

Steam isn't the greatest with lower-end computers. By lower-end I mean a computer that should not try running Skylines. On my old laptop it runs fine - except when updating games, when the CPU and disk usage spikes constantly, but that's only when it has to update, so otherwise, yeah, no issues.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

noelbotevera

Creating double decker interchanges with double decker highways is hard. I always end up with Spaghetti Junctions, even when I try to be realistic (for example all right merges and exits).

authenticroadgeek

Quote from: jakeroot on March 14, 2016, 06:14:48 PM

• Goat Simulator
  • Team Fortress 2

What's the problem with Steam? I've never experienced any issues with it, and I cannot recall the memory take ever being a notable amount where it might affect an active game. Steam has really good sales, it's easy to manage your games, you can gift things to people, keep track of stats and achievements, etc. I can't think of any downsides, other than how the games are stored on the system, which is slightly different from where a hard copy game might be installed, which may present issues when modding a game. But even then, there's almost always a way around.
I just don't really like it that's all.

jakeroot

Quote from: authenticroadgeek on March 15, 2016, 09:23:54 AM

• Goat Simulator
  • Team Fortress 2

authenticroadgeek

Quote from: jakeroot on March 15, 2016, 05:33:04 PM
Quote from: authenticroadgeek on March 15, 2016, 09:23:54 AM

• Goat Simulator
  • Team Fortress 2

I love it.

BamaZeus

I don't play myself, but I saw this article on my Facebook feed.  This guy created all of Seattle in the game, and would have done the suburbs if not for building limits

http://www.pcgamer.com/cities-skylines-player-constructs-central-seattle-using-50000-buildings/?utm_content=buffer4f189&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=buffer_pcgamer

jakeroot

Quote from: BamaZeus on May 31, 2016, 02:38:37 PM
I don't play myself, but I saw this article on my Facebook feed.  This guy created all of Seattle in the game, and would have done the suburbs if not for building limits

http://www.pcgamer.com/cities-skylines-player-constructs-central-seattle-using-50000-buildings/?utm_content=buffer4f189&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=buffer_pcgamer

If he used less row homes, he could have filled out the rest of the city.

All in, not bad. There's room for improvement, but I still get the whole Seattle "vibe" from the pictures.

vtk

Now downloading Cities:Skylines, which by the way is more than half off in the Steam Store through the 6th.  Happy birthday to me!
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

noelbotevera

Creating double decker interchanges is hard, when both are double decker highways.

ET21

Quote from: vtk on June 02, 2016, 10:07:32 PM
Now downloading Cities:Skylines, which by the way is more than half off in the Steam Store through the 6th.  Happy birthday to me!

Yes! Glad I saw this post
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

jakeroot

I've been working on the same city since February. I just hit 100k about a week ago. Here's a shot of some hills and the skyline, along with one of the 6 motorways that enter the city (which is two more than the game normally allows, but, well, mods).

vdeane

Guess I'm gonna miss the sale.  My current computer can't play Cities: Skylines, but I was hoping to get it when I set up my new computer... which will run Linux Mint 18, which doesn't come out for another 2-4 weeks or so!
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

jakeroot

Quote from: vdeane on June 03, 2016, 01:30:24 PM

Guess I'm gonna miss the sale.  My current computer can't play Cities: Skylines, but I was hoping to get it when I set up my new computer... which will run Linux Mint 18, which doesn't come out for another 2-4 weeks or so!

You can still buy the game. You don't have to download it upon purchase.

vdeane

OK, I'm thinking of getting Cities: Skylines this weekend, and I have a question.  Should I get the expansions from the get-go, or should I wait until I learn the game?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

noelbotevera

Quote from: vdeane on August 20, 2016, 05:00:17 PM
OK, I'm thinking of getting Cities: Skylines this weekend, and I have a question.  Should I get the expansions from the get-go, or should I wait until I learn the game?
You could, and the game is easy. It just adds a bit of challenge (it's actually hard to lose at the game).

Note: Don't fret if you miss out on buying an expansion pack full of content you like. You get the major stuff for free.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: noelbotevera on August 20, 2016, 05:12:35 PM
You could, and the game is easy. It just adds a bit of challenge (it's actually hard to lose at the game).

Note: Don't fret if you miss out on buying an expansion pack full of content you like. You get the major stuff for free.

Well, the trams are in a DLC that isn't free. lol.  But, if that isn't a deal breaker, I'd wait till a Steam sale on it before you get it (the DLC that is).

jakeroot

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on August 21, 2016, 11:26:17 AM

Well, the trams are in a DLC that isn't free. lol.  But, if that isn't a deal breaker, I'd wait till a Steam sale on it before you get it (the DLC that is).

I really don't get the obsession with trams. I've always found buses to be more efficient, and less likely to block roadways. If I need the extra capacity, I tend to use railways.

vdeane

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on August 21, 2016, 11:26:17 AM

That's probably what I'll end up doing.  I always thought After Dark and Snowfall were like expansion packs, but reading about it more, they're a LOT smaller than I expected - the core feature of After Dark was added into the base game as an update, and winter only applies to some special maps in Snowfall.  They seem to be a lot like glorified mods.  Makes me wonder of the natural disasters will only be on specific maps too once that DLC comes out.

vdeane

Was playing around with it yesterday.  The starting tile feels quite small relative to the maps I'm used to from SimCity 4 (always played with the large tiles).  Biggest issue, though, is that the highway ramp tool doesn't seem to be easy to use; it's constantly trying to curve the wrong way and whatnot, and as a result my attempts at a simple folded diamond looked like this (but worse).  How do people manage to build realistic-looking interchanges?

Plus the default three-way interchanges look like junk.  Someone needs to show the developers what real freeways look like.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.