News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Unpopular Anything Road-Related Opinions

Started by Ned Weasel, March 26, 2021, 01:01:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SkyPesos

Quote from: kphoger on March 26, 2021, 04:51:24 PM
Quote from: SkyPesos on March 26, 2021, 04:39:49 PM
I'll take Clearview over Georgia's Series D signs.

Over, like, as in Clearview exit tabs?
Main display and exit tabs. Ohio used both between 2014-2017 before switching back to FHWA Series E the following year, so I'm somewhat used to clearview.

Also worth noting, Michigan uses clearview on their enhanced mile markers too.

kphoger

Quote from: SkyPesos on March 26, 2021, 04:58:21 PM

Main display and exit tabs. Ohio used both between 2014-2017 before switching back to FHWA Series E the following year, so I'm somewhat used to clearview.

Sorry, that was a joke that didn't come across very well.  I was joking that you must like Clearview exit tabs "over" (above) Georgia Series D panel signs.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Zeffy

Quote from: SkyPesos on March 26, 2021, 04:58:21 PM

I don't mind Clearview as much anymore, but I still hate it in negative contrast situations, which I've seen PennDOT (and DelDOT) do.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

sprjus4

Quote from: kphoger on March 26, 2021, 04:52:35 PM
Quote from: sprjus4 on March 26, 2021, 04:49:45 PM

Quote from: jmacswimmer on March 26, 2021, 03:35:54 PM
I also really like Clearview - here's a VDOT example I find snazzy.

I despise that particular signage setup, and it's not due to the Clearview font.

It's because it gives a "1/2 mile" notice then a mere 350 ft later, exits off.

Talk about a mislead.

To the lane split, yes.  To the actual gore point, no.  That's a tough one...
Honestly, it should be signed to the lane split, not the gore point. The gore point is useless when it comes to where drivers are actually legally allowed to change lanes.

formulanone

Copied some of this from the unpopular route thread.

<<< Contradictions may apply >>>

This silly hobby still releases dopamine, but usually only when driving. I actually get lost sometimes, and if I'm not pressed for time, it actually makes it a bit of an adventure. Not always knowing where you're going, nor exactly headed, and not knowing what you'll encounter is part of the thrill. Scenic two lane roads with lots of curves are why I'm interested in this hobby. That, and taking pictures of stuff. Interstates are great for making up time, but they're usually dull (and I don't really find the discussion about them all that interesting, either). I'm not interested in long-distance Street View trips, it ruins most of the surprise.

I'm not a big fan of Clearview, but I'm really over the folks that just complain "Ew, Clearview killitwithfire puke-emoji". I get it, it probably replaced a lovely button copy sign which you remember fondly for the last 30 years, but now it's gone and it's a great reason to go find other signs you like.

Signage isn't perfect, and it ain't never gonna be perfect...But it sure is funny when it's prefect.

If you hate roundabouts, try taking them at 25-35 miles an hour and then come see me. It's also not my fault if you hit anything.

I'm not a stickler for exit tab design. Big, little, squeezed, left, right, middle, tabbed...it's just nice if they're there.

Exit renumbering isn't a bad idea if there's a reason to replace the signage en masse. Do you really think that Pleasurable Motor Sports and Big Furniture Emporium can't drum up a new advertisement every few months?

I don't really care to complain much about roads nor most fantasy improvements nor wish to comment on them (unless they're really plausible, or if it involves a light that shines in every window). The idea that Senator Goofball, Representative Busybody, and the Lollypop Guild had a hand in stopping the completion of the Overbite Expressway and championed an exit to their mistress' hometowns rarely interests me.

I like maps when I'm at home, but GPS in the field (that is, if and when I need it and there's plenty of time I do).

Sorry, I'm not a big fan of road videos - if it's longer than 5 minutes, I'm kind of bored.

Ned Weasel

Quote from: interstatefan990 on March 26, 2021, 03:52:39 PM
-Undivided two lane roads with a speed limit of over 45 MPH are inherently dangerous.

Interesting.  I could get behind upgrading them with Jesery barriers and a passing lane every 10 miles or less.  Still, I think it's unrealistic to expect major upgrades of most two-lane highways.  FWIW, two-lane, undivided highways go up to 75 MPH in Texas: https://goo.gl/maps/xC6HcTGaVHTfon4R9

Quote from: Zeffy on March 26, 2021, 04:31:23 PM
I prefer jughandles at busy intersections compared to trying to turn left against traffic.

High-five!
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

interstatefan990

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 26, 2021, 03:59:51 PM
Quote from: interstatefan990 on March 26, 2021, 03:52:39 PM
Some of mine:

-Undivided two lane roads with a speed limit of over 45 MPH are inherently dangerous.

If you don't mind my asking, what causes you to have this opinion? I interpret your comment to mean any two-lane road, including rural highways such as this one (which has a 65-mph speed limit, FWIW) or this one (posted at 55 mph).

Well, sorry to get a little dark here, but research shows that the fastest speed you have a fighting chance of surviving a head-on collision is 43 MPH:

https://www.thecarcrashdetective.com/how-to-survive-a-head-on-collision-slow-down-to-below-43mph/

So for all of you asking, that's the basis for my opinion and that's why 45 is really the max I would call an undivided road something other than "dangerous". With a limit at 50 MPH or higher, your life is basically at the mercy of oncoming traffic to stay in their lane. Which I don't trust them enough to do, because some even completely sober drivers tend to get too close to the center line when taking curves. Also, if there's a sudden event that causes you or someone else to swerve and you or them can't go to the right, well, you know what happens then.

Quote from: kphoger on March 26, 2021, 04:12:52 PM
So driving an undivided highway at 55 mph is inherently dangerous, but driving a divided highway as fast as you want is not?

Ever heard of something called the autobahn? But even that still has an advisory speed of 130 kph (81 MPH), which is why I said there should still be advisory speeds posted. And not all divided highways are equal. You can't compare rural I-80 with the I-93 Super-2 in New Hampshire.

Quote from: kphoger
A lot of the world agrees with you.  In fact, many of them don't even bother with the color yellow either.  https://goo.gl/maps/QrJ3pSkbhVbw89Gw5

Depends on whether or not this forum is representative of "a lot of the world".

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 26, 2021, 04:15:30 PM
It's better to make roadways dangerous enough so they are engineered for a 45 mph limit?

No, keep them the way they are, just maybe post limits over 45 somewhat less often.

Quote from: stridentweasel on March 26, 2021, 05:37:09 PM
Interesting.  I could get behind upgrading them with Jesery barriers and a passing lane every 10 miles or less.  Still, I think it's unrealistic to expect major upgrades of most two-lane highways.  FWIW, two-lane, undivided highways go up to 75 MPH in Texas: https://goo.gl/maps/xC6HcTGaVHTfon4R9

Agreed, it would be a huge safety improvement but it's a far-fetched goal. Maybe just widen the roads a little and paint the two center yellow lines 4 or 5 feet apart?

And yes, I knew about those undivided 75ers. When I'm in Texas, I'll probably go on those a couple of times and then avoid them if I encounter them again.
Multi-lane roundabouts are an abomination to mankind.

andrepoiy

I am not a fan of protected left turns - sometimes sitting behind that light takes way too long.

Scott5114

Quote from: interstatefan990 on March 26, 2021, 07:05:24 PM
So for all of you asking, that's the basis for my opinion and that's why 45 is really the max I would call an undivided road something other than "dangerous". With a limit at 50 MPH or higher, your life is basically at the mercy of oncoming traffic to stay in their lane.

In most of the areas that have two-lane roads at 50 MPH or higher, there is no oncoming traffic most of the time.

Having a 45 MPH limit on any random state highway in Oklahoma west of US-81, just because it's undivided, would be really stupid.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

I-55

Quote from: andrepoiy on March 26, 2021, 07:42:46 PM
I am not a fan of protected left turns - sometimes sitting behind that light takes way too long.

What's more annoying is a flashing yellow arrow light that never gives you a flashing arrow (unless its between midnight and 6 AM).
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

machias

I believe every interchange should have an exit number, even if it's the only exit on the lone two miles of expressway or freeway on a 350 mile cross-state roadway.  For example, I believe NY Route 166 / Cherry Valley on US Route 20 should be Exit 291.

Scott5114

Quote from: I-55 on March 26, 2021, 07:47:03 PM
Quote from: andrepoiy on March 26, 2021, 07:42:46 PM

What's more annoying is a flashing yellow arrow light that never gives you a flashing arrow (unless its between midnight and 6 AM).

What's more annoying is a flashing yellow arrow light that only gives you a flashing arrow, while the entire population of the county is driving by in the other direction, so only one person actually gets to go on each cycle.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

jeffandnicole

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 26, 2021, 04:15:30 PM
It's better to make roadways dangerous enough so they are engineered for a 45 mph limit?

No, keep them the way they are, just maybe post limits over 45 somewhat less often.

Hate to break it to you, but underposting speed limits does not reduce the speed people are going to drive.

interstatefan990

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 26, 2021, 07:43:24 PM
In most of the areas that have two-lane roads at 50 MPH or higher, there is no oncoming traffic most of the time.

Most of the areas with 50 or higher? Isn't there a plethora of undivided 55 MPH roads in the country that see a good amount of traffic? Yes, the 65s and 75s undividededs that exist have less vehicles on them, but you'd have to agree that many of the 55s are used as commuter routes or a part of commuter routes.

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 26, 2021, 07:43:24 PM
Having a 45 MPH limit on any random state highway in Oklahoma west of US-81, just because it's undivided, would be really stupid.

Well, yes. The risk isn't like an on and off switch, but rather its extent is increased or reduced depending on the presence of oncoming traffic. But it's still there. Not saying every undivided two laner needs a 45 MPH limit, but you get my point.
Multi-lane roundabouts are an abomination to mankind.

Big John

Speed limits should be the 85th percentile of the prevailing speed, rounded to the nearest 5 MPH.

RobbieL2415

* School bus stops should be set up so that they only receive/discharge children on the right shoulder side, that way oncoming traffic never has to stop.

* Sequential exits are superior.

* I like left exits as long as they're part of a high-speed interchange.

* I despise protected-only left signals.

* Green flashing signals are cool

* Breezewood should stay as-is.

* Metric over Imperial

kphoger

Quote from: kphoger on March 26, 2021, 04:12:52 PM
So driving an undivided highway at 55 mph is inherently dangerous, but driving a divided highway as fast as you want is not?

Ever heard of something called the autobahn? But even that still has an advisory speed of 130 kph (81 MPH), which is why I said there should still be advisory speeds posted. And not all divided highways are equal. You can't compare rural I-80 with the I-93 Super-2 in New Hampshire.

Yes, I've heard of the Autobahn.  I've been on it, actually.  But what's your point?  Back in high school, when my dad and I picked up our German exchange student from the airport and were driving back on US-36 in eastern Colorado, he mentioned that 65 mph seemed like an awfully low speed limit for a wide open highway like that.  When we asked him what speed his parents would probably drive on that highway, he said they'd probably go 80 or 85 mph.

By the way, I've been on the Autobahn in two vehicles:  (1) a Fiat motor home, five speed on the column, that couldn't go over 70 mph;  (2) a Renault minivan that got up to 100 mph, but no faster because the driver said the tires tend to lose traction at speeds above that point.  Both times, plenty of traffic was flying by us in the left lane.  I'm not sure what you're thinking the "advisory speed" means in real life...
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

andrepoiy

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on March 26, 2021, 08:19:22 PM
* School bus stops should be set up so that they only receive/discharge children on the right shoulder side, that way oncoming traffic never has to stop.

Reason why both directions must stop is because kids might want to cross the street after getting off the bus.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: andrepoiy on March 26, 2021, 08:46:03 PM

Reason why both directions must stop is because kids might want to cross the street after getting off the bus.

I'm pretty sure that what Robbie's saying is that the bus should turn around somehow so that those children wouldn't have to cross the street.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Hwy 61 Revisited

Quote from: machias on March 26, 2021, 07:49:52 PM
I believe every interchange should have an exit number, even if it's the only exit on the lone two miles of expressway or freeway on a 350 mile cross-state roadway.  For example, I believe NY Route 166 / Cherry Valley on US Route 20 should be Exit 291.

Agreed, agreed, agreed!

...Mostly. If it's a short freeway segment, simply saying "The exit" would suffice.
And you may ask yourself, where does that highway go to?
--David Byrne

OCGuy81

Google and Apple maps need to show county lines.

RobbieL2415

No, I'm saying they should only pick up/drop off kids with houses on the right side of the road

SkyPesos

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on March 26, 2021, 09:47:54 PM

No, I'm saying they should only pick up/drop off kids with houses on the right side of the road
If it's on a busy arterial, yes. But in a residential neighborhood with a moving car every 3 minutes, I don't see a need for that.

vdeane

Quote from: index on March 26, 2021, 04:27:01 PM
Most state DOTs are horrible and really need to invest not only in improving their infrastructure and making road quality suck less, but adopting better standards. All states should adopt 6 inch markings and RRPMs, even on two lane roads and surface roads, ditch paint for any and all uses, etc. The FHWA should push for this as hard as they pushed FDOT to ditch colored US shields.
While those RRPMs are quite nice in the areas that have them, this post makes me think you've never lived in an area that experiences real winter.  They'd get ripped up by plows real quick.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: OCGuy81 on March 26, 2021, 09:42:49 PM
Google and Apple maps need to show county lines.

At minimum with what they have they need to stop making them disappear at a zoom level that makes it useless to figure out what you're looking for. If you google Joseph Pioneer Dude County and you want to see if SR-666 clips 1/5 mile of a county corner, you can't zoom in far enough to tell before the map removes it from display.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.