News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Business route freeways (not just Interstates!)

Started by TheStranger, November 17, 2011, 03:48:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheStranger

Wonder how many of these are out there...but first, getting the obvious examples listed:

- former Business Spur I-696 in Detroit, which I think is the first ever Interstate business route freeway
- Business I-80 in Sacramento, the first long-term Interstate business route freeway
- Business I-85 in Spartanburg, SC and in Greensboro, NC
- Business I-40 in Winston-Salem, NC (and former Business I-40 in Greensboro, NC)

--

Non-Interstate or partial examples:

- While mostly not freeway, Business I-85 through Lexington/High Point, NC has quite a few interchanges, especially the first two miles in Lexington, and a ten-mile stretch from Thomasville to Jamestown.

- Save for two or three intersections, Business I-376 (formerly Business PA 60) near Pittsburgh International Airport would qualify

- In the 1950s/1960s, Business US 50 used the Cypress Freeway (then Route 17, later I-880) in Oakland between the Macarthur Maze and a now-removed pair of ramps at Market Street (which I think were taken out when I-980 was built) - http://www.teczno.com/old-oakland/

- The US 23 business loop in Ann Arbor, MI briefly uses a segment of M-14 to reconnect with its parent.

- Business US 71 from Joplin to Carthage runs as freeway between MO 249 and MO 96.

- The northernmost segment of Business Route 99 in Bakersfield (concurrent with Route 204) is the Golden State Avenue freeway spur connecting downtown with Route 99 in Oildale.
Chris Sampang

Takumi

Business US 29 in Lynchburg, VA has been a freeway since 2005, when a new bypass route was created to the east of town and the old mainline route became the business route. The old business route is now VA 163.

Edit: Same goes for Danville, VA, with VA 293 assuming the surface route in 1998.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

triplemultiplex

Another in North Carolina is a decent portion of Bus I-95 in Fayetteville.

If you were to believe your Rand McNally atlas, you'd be led to believe that Bus US 31 in Muskegon has a freeway segment on it's north end.  Truth is, while it has a directional Y interchange with US 31, the segment shown as freeway has two intersections and no interchange with MI 120.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

ftballfan

Quote from: triplemultiplex on November 17, 2011, 05:13:57 PM
Another in North Carolina is a decent portion of Bus I-95 in Fayetteville.

If you were to believe your Rand McNally atlas, you'd be led to believe that Bus US 31 in Muskegon has a freeway segment on it's north end.  Truth is, while it has a directional Y interchange with US 31, the segment shown as freeway has two intersections and no interchange with MI 120.
BUS US-31's southern end in Muskegon is a freeway for a very short section and the "interchange" with M-120 is basically an at-grade directional T.

Also, BL I-196 in Holland/Zeeland follows US-31 along the east side of Holland, and the first three miles north from I-196 are freeway.

BL I-94 in Kalamazoo follows US-131, which is freeway, from I-94 to Stadium Dr.

BUS US-131 in Kalamazoo is freeway from US-131 north of town to Westnedge Ave.

BL I-94 in Jackson follows M-60, which is freeway, from I-94 to Michigan Ave.

Beltway

Quote from: Takumi on November 17, 2011, 03:53:08 PM
Business US 29 in Lynchburg, VA has been a freeway since 2005, when a new bypass route was created to the east of town and the old mainline route became the business route. The old business route is now VA 163.

Edit: Same goes for Danville, VA, with VA 293 assuming the surface route in 1998.

I-95 through Richmond might have gone that way, back when the eastern bypass was proposed as a relocation of I-95.  Instead, all of the eastern bypass was signed as I-295, and I-95 stayed in its original place.

http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Urban Prairie Schooner

US 90 Business (hidden Interstate 910) is freeway grade from Ames Boulevard in Marrero to I-10/US 90 in New Orleans.

Alps

Quote from: Urban Prairie Schooner on November 17, 2011, 06:39:08 PM
US 90 Business (hidden Interstate 910) is freeway grade from Ames Boulevard in Marrero to I-10/US 90 in New Orleans.
And is getting upgraded to full freeway, although it will be I-49 at that point and probably will drop the Business designation.

The former Business 1/9 in NJ began as a freeway for a little over a mile - it's now NJ 139 Lower to the Holland Tunnel.

NE2

Quote from: Urban Prairie Schooner on November 17, 2011, 06:39:08 PM
This is an interesting case, since US 90 is not a freeway.

A similar case is US 30 Byp in Portland, OR, which uses surface streets, while US 30 goes through downtown on mostly freeways.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

bugo

There's a short freeway section of US 71B in Fayetteville, AR.  The oddity about this road is that 71B has three prongs.  The section in question is part of the Fayetteville bypass and was itself bypassed by US 62-71 (later I-540, Future I-49.)

Gnutella

I-376 Business at Pittsburgh International Airport, aside from one at-grade intersection where the old terminal used to be.

hotdogPi

Quote from: Gnutella on May 13, 2019, 03:59:03 AM
I-376 Business at Pittsburgh International Airport, aside from one at-grade intersection where the old terminal used to be.

So you bumped a thread from 2011 to list something that was already in the OP?
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Ben114

nobody mentioned the former Business I-495 in Massachusetts, along the Lowell Connector.

thspfc

BUS-53 in Eau Claire has quite a few interchanges.

jon daly

Quote from: Ben114 on May 13, 2019, 07:53:40 AM
nobody mentioned the former Business I-495 in Massachusetts, along the Lowell Connector.

Thanks! I had never heard of that. And I finally drove on the Lowell Connector last week.

1, does bumping up old threads take up resources? I think it does in Expression Engine, but I don't know what chassis this forum runs on.

US 89

While not quite a full freeway, I-20 Business in Abilene, TX does have one interchange. West of US 83, it functions primarily as a limited-access divided expressway with no direct business frontage.

roadman

This has been discussed in other threads, but it bears repeating here.  Despite the 'Business 495' markers installed on some side streets and the I-495S designation on certain state highway and oil company maps, the 'Business 495' (or 'Green 495' as some locals called it) designation was most likely a creation of the MassDPW district to satisfy business groups and local pols in Lowell, and was neither vetted through nor sanctioned by AASHO (now AASHTO).   Two points to consider:  1)  'Business 495' shields were never included on any guide signs installed on either I-495 or US 3 at the Lowell Connector interchange.  2)  'Business 495' markers were never installed on the Lowell Connector mainline nor on guide signs on side streets at the entrance ramps to the Lowell Connector.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Flint1979

I-75's Business Spur in Bay City is a freeway for about the first mile. It's also overlapped with M-25 for it's entire length. It's at the same interchange where US-10 ends.

froggie

^^ I don't think it matters if it wasn't vetted through AASHTO.  Given recent SCOH decisions, AASHTO does not decide on Business Interstate designations...they only decide on Business U.S. routes.  I'm not sure if that's a recent policy or if it's been policy all along, though.

roadman65

I-83 Business in York, PA has a freeway segment.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman

Quote from: froggie on May 14, 2019, 08:18:31 AM
^^ I don't think it matters if it wasn't vetted through AASHTO.  Given recent SCOH decisions, AASHTO does not decide on Business Interstate designations...they only decide on Business U.S. routes.  I'm not sure if that's a recent policy or if it's been policy all along, though.

OK.  But if Business 495 was considered an official route in the eyes of MassDPW HQ office, even if it wasn't vetted through AASHO (not a typo, as the name was American Association of State Highway Officials when this designation first appeared), then why has the designation NEVER appeared on any guide signs - which were replaced at least twice while the designation was "active", for the Lowell Connector exits from I-495 and US 3, and why weren't Business 495 markers placed on the Connector mainline?

And, with respect, it is reasonable to think that Interstate Business Route designations would have to be vetted through SCRN just like US Business Route designations do.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

bugo

A section of US 70B in Hot Springs, AR is a freeway.

ozarkman417

US 65 BUS in south Springfield mo goes along James river freeway for a short time as its approaching 65 because it was a former alignment of Glenstone.

ftballfan

In the Ann Arbor area, both BUS US-23 and BL I-94 spend time concurrent with other freeways (M-14 for the former and US-23 for the latter)

TheGrassGuy

If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

roadman

Because neither the Connector mainline nor the guide signs on I-495 and US 3 ever had markers designating the road as Business I-495.  The only markers were on side streets in Lowell itself, and were likely put in by MassDPW without any AASHO (now AASHTO) review or approval.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.