News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

The Best of Road Signs

Started by Mergingtraffic, September 21, 2010, 06:36:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

formulanone

This one's great for so many reasons.

It's the best I could do with the faded colors.

Edit: Forgot to mention that its in Lenoir City, Tennessee; near the downtown area.

newyorker478

brownpelican

Quote from: formulanone on June 23, 2011, 11:10:17 PM
This one's great for so many reasons.

It's the best I could do with the faded colors.

Classic!

geronimoabn

Still proudly serving in Joliet, IL.

Brandon

Quote from: geronimoabn on July 03, 2011, 03:16:31 PM

Nice to see it's still there.  :cool:

There's another one in the Ottawa Street Parking Garage.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

geronimoabn

Quote from: Brandon on July 04, 2011, 07:11:42 AM

Nice to see it's still there.  :cool:

It's probably still there because it's so high up the pole that nobody can reach it.  It's easy to miss because it's not really in your "line of sight" as you travel down Center Street.

I'll have to go check out that garage next time I'm down there.   Thanks for the tip.

Mike

Brandon

US-20 eastbound, between Waterloo and Dubuque.  It's an exit sign, but rather unique.

I think IowaDOT wants to make sure you know US-20 turns.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Brandon

Quote from: geronimoabn on July 04, 2011, 01:18:37 PM
Quote from: Brandon on July 04, 2011, 07:11:42 AM

Nice to see it's still there.  :cool:

It's probably still there because it's so high up the pole that nobody can reach it.  It's easy to miss because it's not really in your "line of sight" as you travel down Center Street.

I'll have to go check out that garage next time I'm down there.   Thanks for the tip.

Mike

I wish I had gotten a picture of the old signal at Center and Marion (near this sign) before it was replaced.    :-(

Eth

Quote from: Brandon on July 05, 2011, 09:08:14 PM
I think IowaDOT wants to make sure you know US-20 turns.

Reminds me of this sign on I-75 southbound around Forest Park.  Hard to see due to the glare, but that's I-75 veering off to the left while the exit ramp to US 19/41 goes straight (and ultimately becomes the 19/41 southbound lanes).

geoffNOLA

Westbank and Canal St in Downtown New Orleans :happy:
Your local emo roadgeek

1995hoo

Quote from: geoffNOLA on July 06, 2011, 08:01:49 AM

What I find most interesting in this picture is the lane striping due to the left-hand exit and the way the lanes are not necessarily striped so as to highlight the left exit (that is, there's no solid line between the second and third lanes from the left and no pavement markings to underscore which lane goes where).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

geoffNOLA

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 06, 2011, 09:00:10 AM
Quote from: geoffNOLA on July 06, 2011, 08:01:49 AM

What I find most interesting in this picture is the lane striping due to the left-hand exit and the way the lanes are not necessarily striped so as to highlight the left exit (that is, there's no solid line between the second and third lanes from the left and no pavement markings to underscore which lane goes where).
I think the reason is probably due to the fact  the exit for Claiborne Ave/Superdome is less than 500 yards away from the left exit. but other then that, I don't have an idea why.
Your local emo roadgeek

WillWeaverRVA

Embossed signs in Stony Creek, Virginia.

Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

yakra

U.S. Bicycle Route 1A, Woolwich, ME
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

NE2

All that needs is a smiley face at the top.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Ian

Temporary signs on I-95 northbound approaching exit 4 in Portsmouth, NH. These signs feature old style US 4 shields with the black outline. The second photo is a cropped version of the first one to show the US 4 outlined shield.

If it's still there by mid-August, I can try to snap a better photo.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

myosh_tino

This photo was posted on the "Worst of Road Signs" thread but I think the classic '57 spec I-25 shield qualifies it to be posted here also.  Do anyone know if this is a recent photo?
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

agentsteel53

Quote from: myosh_tino on July 08, 2011, 02:28:56 PM

This photo was posted on the "Worst of Road Signs" thread but I think the classic '57 spec I-25 shield qualifies it to be posted here also.  Do anyone know if this is a recent photo?

Wyoming still uses the '57 specification, so it is very easy to find those shields in the state.  there are even plenty of examples of 18x18 route markers on green signs.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

vtk

Hijacked photo from another thread:
Quote from: Jim on July 07, 2011, 09:07:20 AM

Well if Amber doesn't mind, who am I to argue?
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Ian

Quote from: vtk on July 08, 2011, 04:49:32 PM
Well if Amber doesn't mind, who am I to argue?

:-D

Anyway, the newest style of state named interstate shields in Maine, which look really nice in my opinion:

Bigger version: http://www.flickr.com/photos/iccdude/5919623139/sizes/l/in/photostream/
Youtube l Flickr

agentsteel53

looks like standard '70 spec, finally... it calls for Series C on the 10" numbers on 25" shields, but Maine has been using a lot of Series D instead, which fits much less well.  (the other option the 1970 specification provides is 8" Series D.  10" D is a no-no, though.)
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Ian

Here is what they used until recently, for reference:

Both are fine, but I like the newer one a tad bit more.
Youtube l Flickr

CL

If I'm not mistaken, the series D on that shield above is just a tad compressed.
Infrastructure. The city.

Ian

Almost forgot about this one. Here is an older sign on I-90/Massachusetts Turnpike eastbound at exit 10 in Auburn with the older detailed pilgrim hat logo:
Youtube l Flickr

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.