The Best of Road Signs

Started by Mergingtraffic, September 21, 2010, 06:36:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Frankenstein

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on November 28, 2011, 08:43:18 AM
I have always been a little bit partial to Connecticut's fully reflectorized button copy signage:

Love those!

wytout

Quote from: Dr Frankenstein on December 03, 2011, 01:59:01 AM
Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on November 28, 2011, 08:43:18 AM
I have always been a little bit partial to Connecticut's fully reflectorized button copy signage:

Love those!

I love older signage, but in this case, this stuff isn't too old.  None of the Reflectorized Button Copy is more than 25 years old, so I'm going to get right to the point and bash it.  Button Copy on Retroreflective backgrounds simply DOES NOT WORK. It's fine at first, but within a very short number of years, the buttons degrade significantly in brightness, while the sheeting retains most of it's brightness.  The result is essentially, text that LOOKS brown on top of a green background at night... and basically you can not read the signs period. 

The worst group of these in my area are currently still  in service in Hartford/W. Hartford on 1-84 E and W running between exits 44 and 48.  Almsot every signs buttons are so degraded the sign cannot be read at all at night becuase from a distance it's just a green glowing square/rectangle with brownish looking marks all over it.

I've often commented that if someone who is unfamiliar w/ the area is relying on those signs for for an exit, there's probably going to be a serious accident as that driver is suddenly challenged w/ having to put all his or her efforts into trying to see what the sign says.
-Chris

HighwayMaster

Yeah, I love CT's old US and State shields on button copy.

Kinda looks like Florida's old SR graphics:

(Michael Summa's photo)
Life is too short not to have Tim Hortons donuts.

Takumi

This is on eastbound VA 10, dating back to when I-95 was tolled. It's one of three remaining I know of with the Toll banner covered. The other two are both at VA 144 and are both much less faded. The photo is grainy because it's uncompressed.

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

yakra

How recently were the tolls removed from VA I-95?
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

Takumi

About 20 years ago. The Richmond-Petersburg Turnpike consisted of I-95 from just north of Richmond to Exit 51, and the northernmost few miles of I-85, so not all of I-95 had tolls. This shield is probably about 25, maybe close to 30 years old. I don't know exactly when VDOT started using this style, other than sometime in the 1980s. When the last section of I-95 was completed in Virginia in 1980-81, the shields posted then looked pretty much identical to my avatar, with the state name and all. Almost all of them are gone now. I know of two left, at Exit 33 (secondary route 602): one is on US 301 just before the intersection for 602 and one is at the intersection itself.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

1995hoo

Yup, it was in the early 1990s, I believe around 1992 after I-295 was completed. When I was in high school (Class of 1991) the tolls were still in place, as we encountered them on school trips down to the Richmond area. I remember that by the summer of 1993 they were gone because I was driving south to Myrtle Beach that May and was surprised not to encounter them. Sharp-eyed observers can still detect wider areas where the toll plazas used to be. One used to be just north of the Belvidere Street interchange in Richmond; a second was just south of the Chippenham Parkway interchange; and I believe the third one was just south of the Temple Avenue exit near Petersburg (I encountered that one far less often than the other two because when I was a kid we didn't normally go that far south). In all three cases if you look at a satellite view you can see how the pavement either still widens out (in the case of the middle toll plaza) or used to widen out (in the case of the Richmond one) where the toll plazas used to be. (The Petersburg one is less obvious because it's sort of in the middle of an interchange.)
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

WillWeaverRVA

There's another such sign on North 7th Street in Richmond, near the eastern I-95/I-64 interchange (it's just west of where VA 353 ends).
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

corco

Takumi

Don't @ me. Seriously.

mapman1071

corco

Definitely not I-11, but it's on US-93 North at the railroad track crossing about 500 feet north of SR 89 around MP 193, so yes!

agentsteel53

I totally missed that one in October.  then again, I was driving southbound.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

ctsignguy

Quote from: Takumi on December 24, 2011, 04:02:08 PM
Best Clearview sign ever.

Given how bad Clearview looks to me, improvement is hardly avoidable!
http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

Scott5114

Clearview doesn't have to look terrible–that's pretty good. The font is not too big, kerning is correct, and the outline shield of course is too cool. If only more states would implement Clearview correctly.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

hbelkins

Interesting that the numbers in the outline shield are not Clearview. Wonder why?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

corco

QuoteInteresting that the numbers in the outline shield are not Clearview. Wonder why?

Arizona never does numbers in Clearview- in fact, I don't know of any state I've driven in that does normally do numbers in Clearview

vtk

Unless Jct is the name of a place or road, it should be written in all caps, preferably smaller than the city names.  Also, "never does numbers in Clearview"?  Those distances are in Clearview.  Perhaps you meant route numbers are never in Clearview.  By the way I've seen Clearview route numbers in Texas and Michigan, though in Michigan it's rarely done.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

national highway 1

Quote from: corco on December 25, 2011, 12:33:38 AM
QuoteInteresting that the numbers in the outline shield are not Clearview. Wonder why?

Arizona never does numbers in Clearview- in fact, I don't know of any state I've driven in that does normally do numbers in Clearview
Doesn't Michigan have I-96 shields in Clearview?
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

WillWeaverRVA

Yeah. Michigan didn't get the memo that Clearview wasn't intended to be used for numerals in shields (as far as I know, anyway).
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

corco

QuoteUnless Jct is the name of a place or road, it should be written in all caps, preferably smaller than the city names.  Also, "never does numbers in Clearview"?  Those distances are in Clearview.  Perhaps you meant route numbers are never in Clearview.  By the way I've seen Clearview route numbers in Texas and Michigan, though in Michigan it's rarely done.

Hey, yeah, that's what I meant! I haven't seen any in Texas as far as I know, but that doesn't mean they aren't there.

agentsteel53

it is non-standard, but shows up in Texas on occasion.  I think I've seen an independent-mount farm route shield as well with Clearview, but cannot confirm it.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

J N Winkler

Quote from: corco on December 25, 2011, 12:58:37 PMHey, yeah, that's what I meant! I haven't seen any in Texas as far as I know, but that doesn't mean they aren't there.

I haven't driven in Texas in (gasp) six years, but from time to time I see Clearview shield digits in TxDOT sign design sheets (11,923 collected to date).  Thankfully, this practice (which I think is fairly denominated as an error) is rare.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Scott5114

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on December 25, 2011, 11:09:52 AM
Yeah. Michigan didn't get the memo that Clearview wasn't intended to be used for numerals in shields (as far as I know, anyway).

The rule is not that Clearview is not to be used in shields, but rather that it is not to be used in negative contrast situations (dark text on light background) because, depending on the study, it is either just as good or worse than FHWA Series fonts in those situations. That rules out most shields, which are negative contrast applications. If states want to they can use Clearview on their Interstate shields to their heart's content, just not any other shield (except for CA and their positive-contrast state route shield). I imagine the reason you don't see it more often is a desire to use the same numbers on all shields or perhaps problems in getting Clearview to fit properly with the dimensions given in shield specifications.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.