News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

The Best of Road Signs

Started by Mergingtraffic, September 21, 2010, 06:36:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

texaskdog

dang forgot how to post a pic

1995hoo

Quote from: texaskdog on February 07, 2012, 01:18:05 PM
dang forgot how to post a pic

Upload it to a site like Photobucket or another site that allows direct linking to images, then wrap the image's URL in "IMG" tags here (if you're using Photobucket, it will give you the option just to select the URL already formatted with "IMG" tags and you can just paste that here).

You can't post an image that you haven't uploaded to the Internet somewhere.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

formulanone

It's in Florida.

A piece of rail is the post, and it has a 10-sided metal panel behind it. It was also posted on a swale by a nice gentleman's house who was kind enough to chit-chat about it and pointed me to other relics about town.

agentsteel53

can you get a photo of the backplate?  looks porcelain to me, which made my first guess California. 
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

formulanone

agentsteel53

excellent!  definitely does not look like a standard California product.

jake@aaroads.com

Alps

PHLBOS

Quote from: PennDOTFan on April 23, 2011, 05:19:13 PM
Fall River, MA...

Wow!  Growing up in the Bay State during the 70s, I saw a lot of those style guidance signs replaced with the square/rectangular ones over the years.  What's unique/unusual about that 138 sign is that the numeral font for 138 is in the FWHA font (series D) rather than the state-styled (forget the name) font that was more common with these older signs.  love the old-style arrow.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

D-Dey65

I don't have a pic, but right now I'm watching an episode of the PBS series "Tracks Ahead," and they're covering the Wheeling and Lake Erie Railway. Some of the footage of railroad crossings includes some non-standard crossbuck signs with flourescent red lettering, rather than black, and a vertical YEILD sign going down the pole with chevrons on both sides, both of which are in the same flourescent red.

ctsignguy

Quote from: D-Dey65 on February 11, 2012, 08:51:35 AM
I don't have a pic, but righr now I'm watching an episode of the PBS series "Tracks Ahead," and they're covering the Wheeling and Lake Erie Railway. Some of the footage of railroad crossings includes some non-standard crossbuck signs with flourescent red lettering, rather than black, and a vertical YEILD sign going down the pole with chevrons on both sides, both of which are in the same flourescent red.

Ahhh, you are referring to the Buckeye Crossbuck....it was a modified RR Crossing sign implemented jointly by ODOT, Conrail, NS and CSX to attempt to reduce car/train collisions..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37054594@N06/3427449340/

from Wikipedia: A special kind of crossing sign assembly was introduced on an experimental basis in Ohio in 1992, the "Buckeye Crossbuck". It includes an enhanced crossbuck, reflective and with red lettering, and also a reflective plate reading "YIELD" below the crossbuck, whose sides are bent backwards in order to catch and reflect at a right angle the light of an approaching train. The experiment's final report gave the device a favorable review.[1] However, the plate was rejected for inclusion in the 2003 Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices

and they have been slowly coming down, replaced by more conventional crossbucks...i have the red crossbuck myself, but don't have the special Yield-chevron plate
http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

D-Dey65

Quote from: ctsignguy on February 11, 2012, 09:56:26 AM
Ahhh, you are referring to the Buckeye Crossbuck....it was a modified RR Crossing sign implemented jointly by ODOT, Conrail, NS and CSX to attempt to reduce car/train collisions..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37054594@N06/3427449340/
That's it. I tried to look for it on Wikipedia, but I never found it.

ctsignguy

http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

vtk

I don't think I've seen any Buckeye Crossbucks on my job, in which I frequently encounter NS (and to a lesser extent CSX and W&LE) railroad tracks, but I'll be on the lookout...
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

PurdueBill

Still a few here and there in the CVNP on the Scenic Railroad line.  Quite a few have been replaced with gates/lights the last few years, but a few Buckeye Crossbucks remain like this one at Station Road.  Being a station stop, the trains don't go through very fast.  In fact, they usually are stopped across the crossing while stopped at this station.

hbelkins

Quote from: ctsignguy on February 11, 2012, 09:56:26 AM...However, the plate was rejected for inclusion in the 2003 Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices

and they have been slowly coming down, replaced by more conventional crossbucks...

Yet one more reason to detest the anal-retentive one-size-should-fit-all national MUTCD. That's a perfectly good signage practice.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

vtk

Now I'm sure I've seen a few of those around, but not recently, and I can't remember where.  I never took much notice before because I didn't realize they were anything unusual.

I'm guessing the feds didn't like that much red on a sign that doesn't require a stop, or prohibit anything.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

PurdueBill

Quote from: vtk on February 11, 2012, 11:43:09 PM
I'm guessing the feds didn't like that much red on a sign that doesn't require a stop, or prohibit anything.

Yield is red too, and it did say Yield. 

The angled reflective parts to shine headlight reflections between locomotive and car were a good idea; it's too bad the Buckeye Crossbuck wasn't allowed as an option. 

roadfro

Quote from: vtk on February 11, 2012, 11:43:09 PM

Except that the 2009 MUTCD now requires a stop or yield sign on all passive railroad crossings (i.e. those not controlled by lights and/or gate arms).
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

agentsteel53

Quote from: PHLBOS on February 10, 2012, 07:02:14 PM
What's unique/unusual about that 138 sign is that the numeral font for 138 is in the FWHA font (series D) rather than the state-styled (forget the name) font that was more common with these older signs. 

also, the destinations are in Series A, which is very rare in Mass.

jake@aaroads.com

Alps

Quote from: PurdueBill on February 11, 2012, 10:24:52 PM
Still a few here and there in the CVNP on the Scenic Railroad line.  Quite a few have been replaced with gates/lights the last few years, but a few Buckeye Crossbucks remain like this one at Station Road.  Being a station stop, the trains don't go through very fast.  In fact, they usually are stopped across the crossing while stopped at this station.

If the first thing you saw is the railroad, you're on the wrong forum

formulanone

I hope someone from AABike Paths can supply us with more information about the bicycle.

NE2

Quote from: formulanone on February 13, 2012, 06:48:45 PM
I hope someone from AABike Paths can supply us with more information about the bicycle.
As soon as everyone from AARoads is an expert on cars.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Here's one on an actual road.
http://g.co/maps/fm6h5
Mind you this one won't be around for long either. This crossing is now scheduled to get gates and lights this year.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

PurdueBill

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on February 13, 2012, 10:40:44 PM
Here's one on an actual road.
http://g.co/maps/fm6h5
Mind you this one won't be around for long either. This crossing is now scheduled to get gates and lights this year.

Well, the one pictured earlier IS on an actual road (end of Valley Parkway at the Station Road parking lot/train station/trailhead, no street view but this is the location).

The main attraction around there, beside the Buckeye Crossbuck, is the old Station Road bridge, paved in wood blocks.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: PurdueBill on February 13, 2012, 11:14:28 PM
The main attraction around there, beside the Buckeye Crossbuck, is the old Station Road bridge, paved in wood blocks.

Station Road? Been there, done that.

Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.