News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

The Best of Road Signs

Started by Mergingtraffic, September 21, 2010, 06:36:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HighwayMaster

Near North Canton in Jackson Township, on Sunset Strip Avenue (just off of I-77 Exit 111), there is a yellow YIELD sign going north towards Applegrove Street. I'll have to snap a pic of it when I can.
Life is too short not to have Tim Hortons donuts.

PurdueBill

Just inside Ohio off US 30, near the Indiana line, is this yellow Yield sign.  It's in plain view to passersby on US 30 but on an intersecting road that in turn intersects a road parallel to US 30.  Both are county roads, so it's up to the counties, not ODOT.  It probably also helps that it's pretty much on a county line (Paulding/Van Wert) so it's at an edge of either county's jurisdiction.  The signblades are modern enough to suggest that they know the sign is there and have allowed it to stay.

Alps

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 10, 2012, 02:55:26 AM
That is the only triangular gantry you will find in Oklahoma. I believe Jeremy has advised the 51 was replaced by a meat cleaver when that was the thing to do.
There are two assemblies, one with a cleaver and one with the circle intact. You can see the cleaver one in the background.

CentralCAroadgeek

A nice, old sign on a gantry that isn't familiar at all to me (which would make it even older to me). This is located on I-5 south in LA County.

HighwayMaster

Quote from: PurdueBill on May 10, 2012, 11:10:55 PM

That's sort of what the one on Sunset Strip Avenue looks like.
Life is too short not to have Tim Hortons donuts.

blawp

The blades qualify for worst-of.

PurdueBill

Quote from: blawp on May 13, 2012, 01:15:55 PM
The blades qualify for worst-of.

I had almost cropped out the blades (sign blades, not fan blades) but decided in case anyone wanted to locate it in mapping or something to leave them in.  I'm still relieved that the ugly modern blades were installed but the yellow yield sign was allowed to stay--they could have easily replaced the yield sign while doing the sign blades.

1995hoo

This is on private property, the exit from the underground car park at the Whole Foods store on Duke Street in Alexandria, Virginia. It's weird but I like it because the stop sign of which it warns is otherwise very hard to see and catches drivers unaware. You see where that thing is for the overheight vehicles? The stop sign is below that and to the right, basically 90 degrees around the corner a few feet from the front of my car when I took this picture. People were constantly going through without stopping and the management put up these two signs.

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Rover_0

I've put it up in the "Mountain West" sub-thread only, but I'll put it here, too. This is the bare minimum Utah should do with concurrent routes (as in no placards, that is):

Bonus points for the classic Utah Beehive sign with Series D numerals (which isn't new).
Fixing erroneous shields, one at a time...

Ian

Quote from: 1995hoo on May 14, 2012, 10:37:26 AM
This is on private property, the exit from the underground car park at the Whole Foods store on Duke Street in Alexandria, Virginia. It's weird but I like it because the stop sign of which it warns is otherwise very hard to see and catches drivers unaware. You see where that thing is for the overheight vehicles? The stop sign is below that and to the right, basically 90 degrees around the corner a few feet from the front of my car when I took this picture. People were constantly going through without stopping and the management put up these two signs.

In a way, it reminds me of what New Hampshire does when they have stop/yield signs that are around curves...

UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

architect77

Quote from: Rover_0 on May 14, 2012, 02:31:13 PM
I've put it up in the "Mountain West" sub-thread only, but I'll put it here, too. This is the bare minimum Utah should do with concurrent routes (as in no placards, that is):

Bonus points for the classic Utah Beehive sign with Series D numerals (which isn't new).
Look how perfect the mast-arm traffic signals are!

Alps

Quote from: PennDOTFan on May 14, 2012, 03:24:28 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on May 14, 2012, 10:37:26 AM

In a way, it reminds me of what New Hampshire does when they have stop/yield signs that are around curves...

Seen that in the Midwest/Southwest too. It may be coming to an MUTCD near you someday.

Ian

Quote from: Steve on May 14, 2012, 06:38:58 PM
Seen that in the Midwest/Southwest too. It may be coming to an MUTCD near you someday.

I'm glad to hear that not only New Hampshire has these. I like them!
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

the49erfan15

Went out on a drive this afternoon, found some interesting signs in an industrial area that is technically a county road, but serves as a driveway through some loading docks and such...

Old yellow stop sign, or highly-faded red??

Old + rusted = good, right?

Can anyone date this one?

Reads "Entering School District No. 2" - This one was outside the industrial road, but I found it interesting because (other than being a school district boundary posted on a road - ???) that school district no longer exists.
Driven: AK-1, AK-2, AK-3, 5, 10, 12, 15, 16, 20, 22, 24, 25, 26, 29, 39, 40, 57, 59, 64, 65, 69, 70, 71, 73, 74, 75, 77, 81, 85, 90, 94, 95
Clinched: 16, 85

national highway 1

Also on the topic of Utah concurrencies, one of the only places where I-70 and US 50 are signed concurrently in Utah, in the Fishlake National Forest.
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

thenetwork

Quote from: national highway 1 on May 20, 2012, 07:53:36 AM
Also on the topic of Utah concurrencies, one of the only places where I-70 and US 50 are signed concurrently in Utah, in the Fishlake National Forest.

...Unfortunately, this above assembly replaced a whole slew of U.S. 50 cut-out shields...Perhaps the last cut-out shields in Utah.

brownpelican

Found this beauty hanging on the back of the Varnado Museum in my town (Franklinton, La.):

This was one of two signs that hung on the superstructure of the old Chess Richardson Memorial Bridge in my town. The bridge was replaced last decade by a new bridge and the old one was torn down. However, the town was able to get this sign from the state.

Rover_0

Quote from: thenetwork on May 20, 2012, 06:36:48 PM
Quote from: national highway 1 on May 20, 2012, 07:53:36 AM

...Unfortunately, this above assembly replaced a whole slew of U.S. 50 cut-out shields...Perhaps the last cut-out shields in Utah.

I don't know if UDOT ever had cutout US-50 signs along I-70, but they did with US-89:

Now, those have been replaced by standard squares, with one exception (below).

Since we're on the subject of US cutouts in Utah, I'm surprised that this hasn't been mentioned (as far as I know)...it's still there, going EB on I-70 and NB on US-89 after the Sigurd exit:

The I-70/US-89 concurrency is easily the best-signed I/US concurrency in Utah (even with square US-89 shields almost everywhere), though I-70/US-50 (as far as Fishlake National Forest/Sevier County is concerned) is up there. BTW, I'm a-OK with the I-70/US-50 signage as is, as well; better to get the routes right than how they are signed, at least at this point.
Fixing erroneous shields, one at a time...

agentsteel53

Quote from: brownpelican on May 23, 2012, 11:02:23 PM
This was one of two signs that hung on the superstructure of the old Chess Richardson Memorial Bridge in my town. The bridge was replaced last decade by a new bridge and the old one was torn down. However, the town was able to get this sign from the state.

that is very cool.  what year was the bridge opened?  I do not know when the state of Louisiana was using black signs with button copy.  There is a black sign for the Superdome still around in New Orleans - I believe it is a city job, however. 

did Louisiana ever generally use button copy?  if they did, it was a long time ago.  I've seen precisely one green button copy sign in LA, and the fact that it was the only one around implies to me it was a hasty contract to replace one that was knocked down, and a button-copy supplier got the bid - likely by getting rid of obsolete old stock in the early 2000s.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

yakra

"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

national highway 1

Quote from: CentralCAroadgeek on May 11, 2012, 08:55:46 PM
A nice, old sign on a gantry that isn't familiar at all to me (which would make it even older to me). This is located on I-5 south in LA County.
A similar one on US 101 southbound at Mission Rd, Exit 1E in Los Angeles.
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

roadman65

http://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/5811831773/in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/5974974013/in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/5974795387/in/photostream/

Three places in the Bayou State.

The first one is the neat colored shields that LA is slowly replacing with black on white ones.
The second I find interesting not only cause it is black on white text, but because this sign lets motorists know that there is a 90 degree curve approaching rather than a change in alignment.
The last is obvious as to why you need two junctions signs for the same highway, when usually always one is used.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Brandon

Quote from: Rover_0 on May 24, 2012, 02:51:30 PM
Since we're on the subject of US cutouts in Utah, I'm surprised that this hasn't been mentioned (as far as I know)...it's still there, going EB on I-70 and NB on US-89 after the Sigurd exit:

The I-70/US-89 concurrency is easily the best-signed I/US concurrency in Utah (even with square US-89 shields almost everywhere), though I-70/US-50 (as far as Fishlake National Forest/Sevier County is concerned) is up there. BTW, I'm a-OK with the I-70/US-50 signage as is, as well; better to get the routes right than how they are signed, at least at this point.

Nice US-89 shield.  I'd rather see these than the stupid square.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

1995hoo

Quote from: kphoger on May 26, 2012, 04:50:18 PM
In Coyame, Chihuahua:

I hate encountering topes, but I've always loved the topes sign. Maybe it could be adapted for use in the USA: "Nudie Bar Ahead."
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.