News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

The Best of Road Signs

Started by Mergingtraffic, September 21, 2010, 06:36:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quillz

It wouldn't so bad if it was neutered and the "81" was a little higher up. It looks a bit unbalanced the way it currently is.

roadfro

The shape on both the I-shields is wrong.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

hbelkins

Yes, and I have seen some other I-81 shields too tall like that I-64 shield is. Hope to have photos uploaded sometime soon.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

agentsteel53

that 81 is indeed kind of a horror.  but hey, US and state cutouts.  and it looks like the neutered 81 on the same gantry as the US-250 is an 18x18?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: agentsteel53 on June 05, 2012, 11:24:03 AM
that 81 is indeed kind of a horror.  but hey, US and state cutouts.  and it looks like the neutered 81 on the same gantry as the US-250 is an 18x18?

It looks like it is to me.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

mcdonaat

Quote from: bassoon1986 on June 03, 2012, 11:37:31 PM
^^^

Is that in Tioga somewhere?
You got it right!! It's in Tioga, where US 167 and US 71 split off for a Y-interchange. Right in the median too... the only way they'll get put up is if someone steals the signs, and the contractor will have to get new signs. Supposed to be put up by October 2011... yeah right!

bassoon1986

Quote from: mcdonaat on June 05, 2012, 07:37:15 PM
^^^

You got it right!! It's in Tioga, where US 167 and US 71 split off for a Y-interchange. Right in the median too... the only way they'll get put up is if someone steals the signs, and the contractor will have to get new signs. Supposed to be put up by October 2011... yeah right!

well, nearly everything else in all of Alexandria/Pineville is Clearview. I saw last month where they even added LA 28 to the MacArthur Dr northbound exit when it got replaced with Clearview.

national highway 1

Photographed by Michael Summa, 1983

Unfortunately replaced by this sign.
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

mcdonaat

Quote from: bassoon1986 on June 06, 2012, 06:11:04 PM
Quote from: mcdonaat on June 05, 2012, 07:37:15 PM
^^^

well, nearly everything else in all of Alexandria/Pineville is Clearview. I saw last month where they even added LA 28 to the MacArthur Dr northbound exit when it got replaced with Clearview.
If you noticed a while back, La 28 has been along I-49 for at least three or four years. I was still in high school when I noticed Monroe St. signed as Business LA 28 instead of just La 28. The southbound signs on 49 at MacArthur Drive aren't Clearview, since they're only 71/165, and a sign still says TO La 28. In fact, check the date on the Business auxiliary plate on Monroe Street to see when the change was made, always a good tool :)

1995hoo

This picture showed up today on the BBC's website in a story about the Oregon town of Boring entering into a "declaration of pairing" with the village of Dull in Perthshire, Scotland. The way the sign is worded makes it even better:

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Alps

Quote from: 1995hoo on June 07, 2012, 09:49:13 AM
This picture showed up today on the BBC's website in a story about the Oregon town of Boring entering into a "declaration of pairing" with the village of Dull in Perthshire, Scotland. The way the sign is worded makes it even better:

Interestingly a friend across the pond posted about the same thing, but from the Dull perspective (with a sign from that side). I let her know there are TWO Borings - the other is in MD. Of course, I've been to both.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: Steve on June 07, 2012, 09:56:45 PM
Interestingly a friend across the pond posted about the same thing, but from the Dull perspective (with a sign from that side). I let her know there are TWO Borings - the other is in MD. Of course, I've been to both.

You're just a Boring dude, aren't you.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

D-Dey65

I saw this in Homosassa, Florida last month:

I hope imgur lets me keep it.

Takumi

The white-border US 360 unisign still stands. Taken this morning.

The last known I-85 Virginia shield in Petersburg, still standing as of last week.

Two Maximum Safe Speed advisory signs on Chesterfield secondary route 654, Spring Run Road. The first one is near a VDOT building, interestingly.

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Ian

From last weekend's Maryland excursion...

BGS cutouts (may not be "best of" material to some) along College Parkway near Annapolis:

Old MD 672 shield along MD 648 near Annapolis:

Older non-button copy signs along Veterans Highway next to the I-97/MD 3/MD 32 interchange:

Cat-eyed cross buck sign in Severna Park:

And lastly, some goodies from Baltimore:

UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Alps

Quote from: Takumi on June 08, 2012, 03:24:36 PM
The white-border US 360 unisign still stands. Taken this morning.

This, please, where?

CentralCAroadgeek

What's up with the blue-on-white button copy signs? Did this predate the current white-on-blue service signs?

Alps

Quote from: CentralCAroadgeek on June 08, 2012, 09:43:46 PM
What's up with the blue-on-white button copy signs? Did this predate the current white-on-blue service signs?
Not button copy. But presumably you're right.

bulkyorled

QuoteAnd lastly, some goodies from Baltimore:

Stupid question, is that an arrow light on the right? Im looking at it all hard and I can't tell what symbol is going on in there. I assume it is. But at any rate that's a light live I've not seen before. Must be old?
Your local illuminated sign enthusiast

Signs Im looking for: CA only; 1, 2, 14, 118, 134, 170, 210 (CA), and any california city illuminated sign.

PurdueBill

Quote from: bulkyorled on June 08, 2012, 11:54:48 PM
Stupid question, is that an arrow light on the right? Im looking at it all hard and I can't tell what symbol is going on in there. I assume it is. But at any rate that's a light live I've not seen before. Must be old?

I think it's basically a doghouse for the right turn but complicated by the arrows being 12-inch while the circles are 8.  At least that's what other ones I've seen like that around there behave as.

national highway 1

A few samples of 'Freeway Green', a sign background used in the late 1970s-1980s in regional NSW, Melbourne, Perth and Brisbane. I believe most of these have been removed/replaced :(
Berrima, NSW (circa 1989)

These ones were replaced in 2009/2010

Welby, NSW

This one in Wollongong survived the freeway widening in 1998-1999 however was sadly removed in 2009-2010...
Freeway routes were a system of routes used to cover freeways around Sydney in the 1970s and 1980s. Most of the freeways were built later after the Freeway Route System was retired in the early 1990s and carry their number as a tribute to their formerly planned designation, e.g. the Sydney Newcastle Freeway (NH1) is commonly known as 'the F3' and the Southern Freeway (NR1) is known as 'the F6' and the M2, M4 and M5 Motorways were originally planned as the F2, F4 & F5.

Melbourne

Brisbane

One from Perth, this is Hepburn Av (SR 82) at the Mitchell Fwy (SR 2) interhange
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

formulanone

I was wondering when we'd see some stuff from down yonder...good stuff.

NE2

Damn Aussies, stealing our Interstates.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

CentralCAroadgeek

That Melbourne airport abbreviation sure is weird. A'port? Wouldn't Arpt. or something similar work better?

Alps

Quote from: national highway 1 on June 09, 2012, 03:49:44 AM

Melbourne

Brisbane

These. Where are these? (I couldn't even find a place on the old F6 that was three lanes within 1 km of any of the four ends of the freeway that I found)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.