News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

The Best of Road Signs

Started by Mergingtraffic, September 21, 2010, 06:36:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

national highway 1

Sorry to tell you this, but I'm guessing all of these have been removed/replaced. :(
The first one was in Wollongong, northbound at Mt Keira Rd.
The Freeway Routes were a now defunct route system for NSW freeways
http://www.ozroads.com.au/NSW/RouteNumbering/Freeway%20Routes/freewayroutes.htm
The second one was in Melbourne
http://goo.gl/maps/O5Jo
The last two were in Brisbane.
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

Alps

Quote from: national highway 1 on June 10, 2012, 12:34:33 AM
Sorry to tell you this, but I'm guessing all of these have been removed/replaced. :(
The first one was in Wollongong, northbound at Mt Keira Rd.
The Freeway Routes were a now defunct route system for NSW freeways
http://www.ozroads.com.au/NSW/RouteNumbering/Freeway%20Routes/freewayroutes.htm
The second one was in Melbourne
http://goo.gl/maps/O5Jo
The last two were in Brisbane.
By the time I get to Australia, I gather I should spend my efforts photographing errors, as that's all the Google group seems to talk about :P

blawp

Snapped today on world-famous Colorado Blvd., Pasadena, just west of the bridge over the 710 spur.

Brandon

National Road and Dixie Highway, Vandalia, Ohio.

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Brandon

State name I-88 shield.

Sadly, it is peeling.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

bulkyorled

Quote from: mcdonaat on June 03, 2012, 12:31:52 AM

Auxiliary shields galore!!!

There's no way in hell I would have been able to control myself. I would have had to swipe all of those
Your local illuminated sign enthusiast

Signs Im looking for: CA only; 1, 2, 14, 118, 134, 170, 210 (CA), and any california city illuminated sign.

busman_49

Quote from: Brandon on June 13, 2012, 11:36:07 PM
State name I-88 shield.
<image removed>

Sadly, it is peeling.

I was just under that sign last week!  Still pretty cool!

Brandon

Yes, my roadgeek friends, it is all button copy, including the black text.

I-55 northbound at I-294.

Ian

Some from Maine. I took these when I was up there last year, and I just got around to uploading them. I'll be up there again in a few weeks over Independence Day, so I'll be able to get better shots of these...

UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Alps

Quote from: Brandon on June 14, 2012, 04:21:48 PM
Yes, my roadgeek friends, it is all button copy, including the black text.

I-55 northbound at I-294.
I doubled back for that one when I realized it as I passed it the first time.

hbelkins

I can never recall seeing black button copy.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Brandon

Quote from: hbelkins on June 15, 2012, 11:39:34 PM

IDOT D1 used it in a few places (as above), and ISTHA used to use it all the time.

PurdueBill

There used to be at least one "Trucks and Vehicles with Trailers Use Right Lane" sign on I-70 east of Indianapolis that had a black button copy border (but not text); every time I tried to take a picture of it it came out blurry (this was about 10 years ago).  Sadly, I think it is gone now.

Alps

Quote from: hbelkins on June 15, 2012, 11:39:34 PM
Well, it's really the same white reflectors as anywhere else. I've seen red cats-eyes and reflectors in yellow and green.

national highway 1

Early Virginia Interstate Shields:

Earlier Kentucky shield, similar to Maryland shields.
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

formulanone

What was the story behind those interstate shields? My guess is that it was an early design proposal, since I-20 never traveled through Virginia. Looks good for a 2di, but might look too busy when used for a 3di. Folks from the Great Lakes probably wouldn't like the design, either.

Central Avenue

Those prototype Interstate signs are fun to look at, but I much prefer the simple shield design that was ultimately chosen. Much less busy.
Routewitches. These children of the moving road gather strength from travel . . . Rather than controlling the road, routewitches choose to work with it, borrowing its strength and using it to make bargains with entities both living and dead. -- Seanan McGuire, Sparrow Hill Road

Brandon

Some 1990s IDOT button copy.

The Elgin-O'Hare Expressway is chock full of it.  Well, at least until ISTHA takes it over and widens it next year.  Snap your photos while you can.

hbelkins

Hot Rod Hootenanny

In Upper Arlington (Near NW side suburb of Columbus), from Tuesday morning. Evidently, already sitting in a city garage.
http://www.dispatch.com/content/blogs/crawlumbus/2012/06/green-stop.html
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

national highway 1

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on June 20, 2012, 10:39:59 PM

In Upper Arlington (Near NW side suburb of Columbus), from Tuesday morning. Evidently, already sitting in a city garage.

Technically it should belong in 'Erroneous Road Signs' but it's not every day you see a green stop sign, so its definitely 'the best'.

Central Avenue

Quote from: national highway 1 on June 20, 2012, 11:15:48 PM
Technically it should belong in 'Erroneous Road Signs' but it's not every day you see a green stop sign, so its definitely 'the best'.

If the article is to be believed, it's not erroneous at all--it's exactly what the pranksters meant to do. :P
Routewitches. These children of the moving road gather strength from travel . . . Rather than controlling the road, routewitches choose to work with it, borrowing its strength and using it to make bargains with entities both living and dead. -- Seanan McGuire, Sparrow Hill Road

hbelkins

Quote from: hbelkins on June 19, 2012, 10:43:26 PM

Still can't believe this jewel has gone uncommented-upon. Y'all must be asleep.

vtk

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on June 20, 2012, 10:39:59 PM

I'll admit, it's prettier than a red stop sign.  I wouldn't put it past a high-end suburb like UA to try something like that, anyway.  Lastly, I'm impressed by the roadgeeky correctness of the amateur-produced sign.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Central Avenue

If I'd seen that in Dublin instead of UA I probably would have assumed it was an "official" sign.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.