News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

The Best of Road Signs

Started by Mergingtraffic, September 21, 2010, 06:36:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: national highway 1 on June 30, 2012, 01:03:50 AM
Why are the control cities on separate tabs? Couldn't they all be incorporated into one sign?

Some states do it that way. I know Connecticut does for all non-freeway distance signage. I don't think I have ever seen it on a freeway though...
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Alps

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on June 30, 2012, 10:02:10 AM
Why are the control cities on separate tabs? Couldn't they all be incorporated into one sign?

Some states do it that way. I know Connecticut does for all non-freeway distance signage. I don't think I have ever seen it on a freeway though...
I don't think I've ever seen a distance sign on CT freeways :P

shadyjay

Quote from: Steve on June 30, 2012, 11:54:18 AM

Conn Tpke:  NB / Greenwich
Parkway:  WCP SB in Meriden
I-84:  WB there's one in the Union area, don't think there's any EB
I-91:  None I can think of, though I remember one SB between Exits 21 & 20 which had mile and km distances but that's been gone for years.
I-95:  One NB in Stonington, two SB between N. Stonington and Groton
CT 2:  EB and WB between Glastonbury and Norwich, at least one in each direction, if not 2
CT 9:  One in each direction between Exits 8 & 9

Maybe a few others. 

All are single-pieced signs, not the "separate tabs".  Those only appear on surface roads.  Same goes for VT as well.

PurdueBill

Au contraire!  :P

I-95 has a few examples, for one thing.  ;)

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: PurdueBill on June 30, 2012, 03:54:57 PM

Ouch. Corrected by your own website. Tsk tsk, Steve.  :-D
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Alps

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on June 30, 2012, 04:21:58 PM

Hence the :P face

PurdueBill

Quote from: Steve on June 30, 2012, 08:27:15 PM
Quote from: deathtopumpkins on June 30, 2012, 04:21:58 PM

Hence the :P face

That's what I guessed too--who knows his web site better than he does?--but wanted to preempt someone else pointing those out.  ;)

There's another atop this (still-orange) page of CT 2.  I liked the orange. 

On Best-Of, I love the signs on US 30 WB approaching I-75--fantastic button copy from the section that opened in 1999. 

Duke87

Quote from: corco on June 28, 2012, 11:51:48 PM
The only I-15 trailblazer I know of in Arizona

You know, I was just by there a few days ago and that jumped out at me as a bit odd. I-15 is over 60 miles away! Or is it normal to trailblaze at such distance out in the boonies of the west?
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

corco

QuoteYou know, I was just by there a few days ago and that jumped out at me as a bit odd. I-15 is over 60 miles away! Or is it normal to trailblaze at such distance out in the boonies of the west?
That's pretty far, but not unheard of. I'd suspect in this case that's because it's a touristy corridor.

This is the furthest I've ever seen- it's 91 miles to I-84 south of Huntington, Oregon!

I've seen further distances on distance signs for freeway junctions, but that's the furthest I've ever seen a generic shield for.

Also, it takes a full extra half hour to get to Boise via US-95 (Payette) instead of Idaho 55 (McCall) from there.

Alps

Quote from: PurdueBill on June 30, 2012, 09:01:07 PM

There's another atop this (still-orange) page of CT 2.  I liked the orange. 

My pages are still orange. I thought I got them all, though.

1995hoo

Wasn't able to get a picture of this sign and the Street View image wasn't clear, but I'll describe it here in case someone recognizes the description and has a picture. We just returned from a vacation in Florida and on Bonaventure Boulevard in Weston I saw a lovely sign that had a picture of a line of cars waiting, presumably at a red light, and one car trying to cut across the solid line to butt into the line of stopped cars. To the left of this image the sign said "Cutting Into Vehicle Queue Prohibited," with the words in black on a white background except for the word "Prohibited," which was in red. Underneath was a sign citing a couple of statutes. I loved the sign, although I found the use of the term "queue" curious in the USA because that's a term I normally hear from Brits (and indeed when I see Americans attempting to use it, they often misspell it as "cue" or "que").

Here is the link to the very unclear Street View image. There's another one of these signs to the left a little further south nearer to Griffin Road, but that one isn't shown in the Street View.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

r-dub

Found some more from a 2010 visit to Chicago then west on US 24. First, in Chicago:

From the far eastern end of the Northwest Highway

Then from Cawker City, KS

Ryan "r-dub"
Roadgeekin' Colorado Style

Brandon

1990s IDOT button copy on the Kennedy Expressway (inbound) at Ogden.

Even the small print for the expressway name is button copy.  Gotta love how close the Feeder Ramp exit (Ohio St) is to this one.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Takumi

What's the "1200 W" stand for? Block number?
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Brandon

Quote from: Takumi on July 08, 2012, 04:41:26 PM
What's the "1200 W" stand for? Block number?

Yes.  Ogden Avenue is 1200 West at this point.  A lot of the exit signs in and near the city have the block numbers posted under the street name.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

CentralCAroadgeek

I've always loved Monterey signage, just so pretty:

Does anyone know what the font here is?

Scott5114

Looks like Albertus. My workplace uses it in all-caps for some interior signage. It's pretty decent.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

CentralCAroadgeek

Quote from: Scott5114 on July 09, 2012, 12:35:21 AM
Looks like Albertus. My workplace uses it in all-caps for some interior signage. It's pretty decent.
Looked it up, and this sign looks like it indeed has that font. Thanks!

KEK Inc.

Too bad most of the signs in Monterey are turning into Clearview.
Take the road less traveled.

CentralCAroadgeek

Quote from: KEK Inc. on July 09, 2012, 12:43:45 AM
Too bad most of the signs in Monterey are turning into Clearview.

I'm sure it's only signs like these (don't know what they're called) that are in Clearview, not destination signs:

But this one I like. It kinda reminds me of these signs in Phoenix:

They tend to be more in the downtown area, but we don't really end up there. I've also seen these in Albertus, which looks really nice.

KEK Inc.

The older ones are in Albertus.  uh, I just call them mast-arm street signs.  :P 
Take the road less traveled.

CentralCAroadgeek

Quote from: KEK Inc. on July 09, 2012, 01:00:53 AM
The older ones are in Albertus.  uh, I just call them mast-arm street signs.  :P 
So I guess these Clarendon ones are older (Though I hate Clarendon, at least these are brown):

agentsteel53

Quote from: corco on June 30, 2012, 09:21:41 PM

This is the furthest I've ever seen- it's 91 miles to I-84 south of Huntington, Oregon!

[photo]

I've seen further distances on distance signs for freeway junctions, but that's the furthest I've ever seen a generic shield for.

I believe I-15 is signed solely with a shield on green signs on I-70 westbound in Utah, maybe as far east as Green River?  No mention of Cove Fort; just a shield and a distance taking up an entire line on the guide sign.

but yes, for a stand-alone gantry, that I-84 takes the cake.

too bad no state name.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Duke87

There's a distance sign which lists "JCT I-15" (I believe it's text like that, not a shield) as a destination not too far past the CO/UT line.

Of course, there are plenty of other such instances of this sort of thing. Florida has signs on I-75 south showing the distance to the (norther) junction with I-275 (using a shield!) well over 100 miles north of the junction itself.

I wouldn't call any of those "trailblazers", though. To me, "trailblazer" implies a sign that says "to route X, thataway" at an intersection. i.e., its purpose is to dictate direction, not distance.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

AsphaltPlanet

Angled exit signs were common in Ontario until the late 1970s or so when there use was phased out.  A few still exist.  Not the best photo (and the old king's highway crowns have been covered over as a result of highway downloading), but a contender nevertheless:
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.