Started by Mergingtraffic, September 21, 2010, 06:36:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

national highway 1

Quote from: Steve on August 27, 2012, 08:18:54 PM
Quote from: national highway 1 on August 27, 2012, 04:20:11 AM
Zia on BGS and 'CR 4kj', Guadalupe County, NM

Did someone mash the keyboard?
Well, it IS New Mexico.
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

Kacie Jane

I recall Wyoming having county routes with the same numbering convention, but they were signed with all caps.  (I would assume that this New Mexico one was supposed to be all caps as well.)

NE2

So when will NH1 finish going through the sign gallery and posting random signs here?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

formulanone

Central Avenue

Quote from: formulanone on August 28, 2012, 05:56:15 PM
...it's a big country.

Do dreams stay with you like a lover's voice fires the mountainside?
Routewitches. These children of the moving road gather strength from travel . . . Rather than controlling the road, routewitches choose to work with it, borrowing its strength and using it to make bargains with entities both living and dead. -- Seanan McGuire, Sparrow Hill Road

formulanone

Quote from: Central Avenue on August 28, 2012, 06:45:20 PM
...it's a big country.

Since I had to google that one, I suppose the answer is yes.

signalman

...it's a big country.

I had to think about that one for a second.  Now that I did, that song is stuck in my head.

corco

Only Park County. The rest use numerics or an AX convention.

Special K

...it's a big country.

Look away... look away...

Brandon

...it's a big country.

Are pain and truth the things that really matter, or can you stay here with every single hope you have shattered?
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

national highway 1

Quote from: Brandon on August 29, 2012, 08:47:37 PM
...it's a big country.

Are pain and truth the things that really matter, or can you stay here with every single hope you have shattered?
Guys, just chill down. This is just the thread for 'The Best of Road Signs'. No need to start bickering about stuff that's off-topic in here.
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

agentsteel53

Quote from: national highway 1 on August 29, 2012, 08:52:32 PM

Guys, just chill down. This is just the thread for 'The Best of Road Signs'. No need to start bickering about stuff that's off-topic in here.

none of these are at all lyrics of any song in any form at any time
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Brandon

Quote from: national highway 1 on August 29, 2012, 08:52:32 PM
Quote from: Brandon on August 29, 2012, 08:47:37 PM
...it's a big country.

NH1, http://www.lyrics.com/in-a-big-country-lyrics-big-country.html
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

NE2

I don't think I'd have minded if I sat this one out.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Central Avenue

Oh god, what have I started?
Routewitches. These children of the moving road gather strength from travel . . . Rather than controlling the road, routewitches choose to work with it, borrowing its strength and using it to make bargains with entities both living and dead. -- Seanan McGuire, Sparrow Hill Road

Road Hog

Quote from: bassoon1986 on August 12, 2012, 09:38:21 PM

DSCN1849 by GeoJosh, on Flickr

Not too many of these in Texas. Only 3 Business FM routes according to TxDOT

-- Fixed the url/img code. -rmf67

I know where another one is – Business FM 51 in Decatur.

Central Avenue

now to actually contribute to the thread

I know these signs have some design errors--EVERY WORD IS IN SMALL CAPS, and that outline 734 shield isn't really doing it for me--but the fact that ODOT (or their contractor) bothered to use decent-sized overhead signs for this detour instead of relying on annoyingly small roadside assemblies earns an "A" for effort in my book:

national highway 1

^Actually, the OH 734 shield would stand out better if it were black on white, but I do like the Clearview and Outline shields.  :nod:

agentsteel53

are those the only black-outlined shields in Ohio?

jake@aaroads.com

bassoon1986

Central Avenue,  is Washington CH supposed to be court house?

agentsteel53

Quote from: bassoon1986 on August 30, 2012, 02:13:07 PM
Central Avenue,  is Washington CH supposed to be court house?

the name of the town is literally "Washington Court House".

jake@aaroads.com

formulanone

I've seen a few, used for "regulatory" purposes.

agentsteel53

Quote from: formulanone on August 30, 2012, 03:45:42 PM

that is different, as it is on the green background.

it's mildly amusing when the sign is on the white background and lacks the border, and the only way you can tell that it is a shield is because it's a single plate of aluminum cut to shield shape, as opposed to the assembly of horizontal slats which make up the background.

jake@aaroads.com

vtk

Quote from: Central Avenue on August 30, 2012, 05:06:43 AM

By any chance, is the original photo of sufficient resolution to make a good blow-up of the state route shields?  That would be good for examining the differences between the 2-digit and 3-digit shapes as used in practice.

Quote from: formulanone on August 30, 2012, 03:45:42 PM

That's not technically an OH shield outline.  It's a solid black OH shield shape, with a slightly smaller OH-shield-shaped hole in it.  That's why it appears thinner in some spots.  (There exists a class of shapes for which the distinction effectively does not exist; none closely resemble Ohio or its state route markers.)
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

This one might still might be around, Along US 23, west of Upper Sandusky, approaching (Old) US 30
(this predates the US 30 expressway connecting Upper Sandusky and Bucyrus)

Detour sign from the late 90s in Marion County
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.