News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

The Best of Road Signs

Started by Mergingtraffic, September 21, 2010, 06:36:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PurdueBill

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 27, 2012, 12:18:34 PM
To me the downward-pointing arrow is very peculiar. I know apparently that's common out in California, but it's not normal in anyplace I've ever lived.

The Newton Corner interchange (exit 17) has more examples of button copy dating to the opening of the Extension with downward arrows, including opposing arrows on the same sign.  Steve's page has some good pics.

The button copy sign at the entrance to the ramp, with an upward arrow, seems odd.  I wonder if the arrow once pointed down, possibly with the sign being moved from an original location when the building was built over the Pike.  The road was originally open-air at that location before the building/parking was built above it.

Ian

Quote from: NE2 on November 26, 2012, 10:29:07 PM
The Goog shows a wire leading to it, so it certainly is or was backlit.

Yeah, I did take note of the wiring coming out of the sign, which was one clue to me that it was backlit at some point. I'm curious to see what this sign looks like when it is lit, but I'm assuming it'll be replaced before that happens.

Quote from: Steve on November 26, 2012, 11:18:07 PM
Last time, I went to Boston just to photograph one sign. It seems like a repeat may be in order.

I'd love to come up with you! There are several signs up there that I missed (like the cat-eyed "RIGHT TURN AHEAD" sign in South Boston) and wanted to take photos of, but didn't get the opportunity to do so.

To me the downward-pointing arrow is very peculiar. I know apparently that's common out in California, but it's not normal in anyplace I've ever lived.

I noticed that MassDOT loves to use that downward-pointing arrow, especially at major junctions. Here's an example along I-91 in Chicopee.

Quote from: PHLBOS on November 27, 2012, 12:52:42 PM
My guess is that sign is about as old as the building structure (John Hancock Conference Center) it's mounted on.  It likely replaced the old original 60s-era button-copy BGS that existed prior to the Conference Center being built and it just matched the wording & legend in kind.

I wouldn't doubt that theory. Though it looks like they missed the other 60's-era button copy BGS that's right down the ramp.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

codyg1985

Quote from: PennDOTFan on November 27, 2012, 10:00:12 PM

I noticed that MassDOT loves to use that downward-pointing arrow, especially at major junctions.

Tennessee DOT uses these all the time at major splits on freeways.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Duke87

Still kicking in Rochester:
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

agentsteel53

Quote from: PennDOTFan on November 27, 2012, 10:00:12 PM(like the cat-eyed "RIGHT TURN AHEAD" sign in South Boston)

now this I need to see a picture of!  all the cateyed signs I know of in MA are out rurally...
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Alps

Quote from: agentsteel53 on November 30, 2012, 09:38:26 PM
Quote from: PennDOTFan on November 27, 2012, 10:00:12 PM(like the cat-eyed "RIGHT TURN AHEAD" sign in South Boston)

now this I need to see a picture of!  all the cateyed signs I know of in MA are out rurally...
Button copy...

Ian

Quote from: Steve on November 30, 2012, 09:49:34 PM
Quote from: agentsteel53 on November 30, 2012, 09:38:26 PM

Button copy...

I guess it is button copy. My bad.
http://goo.gl/maps/5sibi
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

PurdueBill

StogieGuy7

agentsteel53

I saw similar in Argentina the other day - and I wish Mexico City would install a few like that.

the only thing about the sign which is ambiguous to me is where "C1" is supposed to be.  Is that even a highway, or does it refer to the loop as a whole?

jake@aaroads.com

vtk

I think I've seen that specific sign before.  Possibly in a video game.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

formulanone

Quote from: agentsteel53 on December 05, 2012, 10:29:57 AM
the only thing about the sign which is ambiguous to me is where "C1" is supposed to be.  Is that even a highway, or does it refer to the loop as a whole?

I suppose it denotes the loop, based on this.

(Now with some Japanese green-out?)

agentsteel53

also, damn Arialveticverstesk.

jake@aaroads.com

cpzilliacus

Quote from: formulanone on December 05, 2012, 01:14:14 PM

Yes, I think that tells you if you clockwise or counterclockwise.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Central Avenue

Quote from: formulanone on December 05, 2012, 01:14:14 PM

I love the Rainbow Bridge sign.

But I'm a rainbow-y kinda person in general.
Routewitches. These children of the moving road gather strength from travel . . . Rather than controlling the road, routewitches choose to work with it, borrowing its strength and using it to make bargains with entities both living and dead. -- Seanan McGuire, Sparrow Hill Road

yakra

Dig those katakana.
Reinbo-Burijji!
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

mukade

Quote from: StogieGuy7 on December 05, 2012, 09:59:42 AM
Not sure if this one should go under "best" or "worst"! 

But it sure is interesting - and befuddling to the average American:
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=roppongi&hl=en&ll=35.662739,139.731134&spn=0.001776,0.002411&hnear=Roppongi,+Minato,+Tokyo,+Japan&gl=us&t=h&z=19&layer=c&cbll=35.662739,139.731134&panoid=BqtVXg0xgdgZcCsIW4CsMg&cbp=12,70.93,,0,-15.52

If I remember correctly, the black routes show red (LED) for congestion or green for clear - at least during rush hour. If not this particular one, I saw signs in Tokyo like that.

StogieGuy7

Quote from: mukade on December 05, 2012, 06:10:30 PM
Quote from: StogieGuy7 on December 05, 2012, 09:59:42 AM
Not sure if this one should go under "best" or "worst"! 

But it sure is interesting - and befuddling to the average American:
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=roppongi&hl=en&ll=35.662739,139.731134&spn=0.001776,0.002411&hnear=Roppongi,+Minato,+Tokyo,+Japan&gl=us&t=h&z=19&layer=c&cbll=35.662739,139.731134&panoid=BqtVXg0xgdgZcCsIW4CsMg&cbp=12,70.93,,0,-15.52

If I remember correctly, the black routes show red (LED) for congestion or green for clear - at least during rush hour. If not this particular one, I saw signs in Tokyo like that.

Yes, I believe you are correct!  However, because of the way it's labeled, what's going on is not clear to the average foreigner.  Once you understand what info the sign is conveying, I am sure that it makes perfect sense.   

74/171FAN

This is a state-named I-81 shield on US 11 in Christiansburg that existed earlier this year (I think I took this picture in March?).  Also I noticed that Christiansburg here is doing its best Hopewell impression... 
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

cu2010

So I'm running around running errands today, happened to have the camera with me, and I stumble upon this...

Best part? This is a fairly recent install...it's been a while since I drove through there, but the last time I did, it was a regular, modern crossbuck!
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

adt1982

I stumbled across a sign like that yesterday, except the lettering and color is all gone.  It guarded a long-gone Illinois Terminal crossing in Staunton

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Takumi

Looks like Christiansburg uses the same font for its street blades as Chesterfield County.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

74/171FAN

Quote from: Takumi on December 08, 2012, 06:30:24 PM
Looks like Christiansburg uses the same font for its street blades as Chesterfield County.
I think it's more that particular sign than the rest of Christiansburg itself.  The rest that I remember seeing have the street names in caps (the only photo I have of one does not show the sign very well) so I'd have to drive around downtown one day to verify that.  I personally think Blacksburg signs on the ground are more like the ones in Chesterfield with the street names in lower-case.
Christiansburg

Blacksburg
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.