The Best of Road Signs

Started by Mergingtraffic, September 21, 2010, 06:36:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vtk

Quote from: Central Avenue on January 04, 2013, 12:37:53 AM
Quote from: vtk on January 03, 2013, 11:48:02 AM
Quote from: Central Avenue on January 03, 2013, 12:12:44 AM
Quote from: Kacie Jane on January 02, 2013, 06:08:24 PM
Ah! Another exemplary case of Best Of and Worst Of on the same assembly!

You think so? Personally I thought the Alan Wood Rd sign looked quite nice, albeit not quite "Best Of".

It's nice-ish, but a far cry from accepted design standards.  I interpret it as a guide sign, so it should be white on green.  The font is way off.  The border should be a little thicker.  There isn't nearly enough spacing between or around the two lines of text.  It just doesn't look like an official road sign at all; more like a fake, meant to look like a road sign, but designed by someone who clearly doesn't look at road signs all day.

Oh, don't get me wrong. I know it's far from any sort of highway standards. I just don't think that alone makes it a terrible sign.

(Also, I'm somewhat biased, being a Helvetica fangirl and all.)

Let's say someone sets out to write a fan-fic of a TV show like 2½ Men, and the result is a dramatic lesbian love tragedy about some Vegas prostitutes Charlie once knew.  It may be a great story, but folks judging it as a 2½ Men fanfic would tend to say it's one of the worst they'd ever read.  The same applies here: it's a pretty sign, but it's a fairly bad road sign.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Kacie Jane

Welp.  That's the best analogy I've seen in quite some time.

Central Avenue

See, what I'm not getting is this idea that only standard road signs can be good road signs. It's non-standard, but it's aesthetically pleasing and it serves its intended purpose, so why does its lack of standardization make it an inherently bad road sign?
Routewitches. These children of the moving road gather strength from travel . . . Rather than controlling the road, routewitches choose to work with it, borrowing its strength and using it to make bargains with entities both living and dead. -- Seanan McGuire, Sparrow Hill Road

Kacie Jane

Quote from: Central Avenue on January 04, 2013, 08:30:41 PM
See, what I'm not getting is this idea that only standard road signs can be good road signs. It's non-standard, but it's aesthetically pleasing and it serves its intended purpose, so why does its lack of standardization make it an inherently bad road sign?

Because road signs are supposed to follow standards, ergo a sign that doesn't follow standards is naughty and should be punished.  Also, since black on white is supposed to be used for regulatory signs (How am I supposed to simultaneously use both lanes?  Does that mean if I straddle the lane line, I won't get a ticket?  And if I'm properly in a lane, I will get a ticket?), one could argue that it's not serving its intended purpose.  And "aesthetically pleasing" is subjective; since Jake finds the font to be a terrible blight, I'm assuming he would argue that it's not.

As an aside, I was looking through the beginning of this thread for my own amusement, and was in fact highly amused when I found this very photograph waaaay back on page 2, complete with a comment from Jake that the Alan Wood Rd sign should be in the Worst Of.

RJ145

I need to find a higher resolution version of this. I have it somewhere.

Central Avenue

Oh, don't get me wrong, I understand the value behind standardization. There's a need to give drivers a certain expectation of what they should see, and if everyone who posted a sign just made up their own rules we'd quickly get an inconsistent and confusing mess.

But when I look at an individual sign, I try to judge it on its own merits. After all, the standard is only one way of doing things, and just because it's the accepted standard doesn't mean it's the only good way of doing things, or that other ways of doing things are inherently inferior. That's why I, personally, will criticize signs for being ugly or unclear or other such faults, but not merely for not conforming to the standard.

Of course, you're free to disagree, but that's my take on it.
Routewitches. These children of the moving road gather strength from travel . . . Rather than controlling the road, routewitches choose to work with it, borrowing its strength and using it to make bargains with entities both living and dead. -- Seanan McGuire, Sparrow Hill Road

kphoger

Let's just all keep looking at the other sign.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

ctsignguy

Quote from: Central Avenue on January 04, 2013, 10:29:28 PM
Oh, don't get me wrong, I understand the value behind standardization. There's a need to give drivers a certain expectation of what they should see, and if everyone who posted a sign just made up their own rules we'd quickly get an inconsistent and confusing mess.

But when I look at an individual sign, I try to judge it on its own merits. After all, the standard is only one way of doing things, and just because it's the accepted standard doesn't mean it's the only good way of doing things, or that other ways of doing things are inherently inferior. That's why I, personally, will criticize signs for being ugly or unclear or other such faults, but not merely for not conforming to the standard.

So, Ms Central, how would you judge this sign?  Definitely not standard....
http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

kj3400

The sad thing is, even with standards, somehow that still ends up being the case with some signs.
Call me Kenny/Kenneth. No, seriously.

vtk

Quote from: kphoger on January 05, 2013, 12:57:25 PM
Let's just all keep looking at the other sign.

Cropped with Jpegcrop to preserve quality
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

CentralCAroadgeek

Button copy "EXIT ONLY" tabs anyone?

Long Beach, CA

formulanone

Quote from: Central Avenue on January 04, 2013, 08:30:41 PM

Agreed; how boring would it be if every sign fit every conceivable standard? I'm kind of glad there's all sorts of tidy stuff and awkward semi-standard creations in Florida, because it makes things interesting and rather unique.

Look at photos of signs from 50+ years ago...no standards, and most of us go ape for them. But then again, there's bad and then there's different (and sometimes both makes for really bad).

Scott5114

The thing is that the standards don't specify everything. You can still be creative within the bounds of the framework the MUTCD sets up.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

formulanone

Discovered this one yesterday.

agentsteel53

good to see that one's still there.  I photographed it on Jan. 20, 2010.  nearby was another 67 which was stamped 2/64.  Alex can tell you exactly where that one is.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

formulanone

Quote from: agentsteel53 on January 08, 2013, 08:27:26 PM
good to see that one's still there.  I photographed it on Jan. 20, 2010.  nearby was another 67 which was stamped 2/64.  Alex can tell you exactly where that one is.

Also found a C/S-67 from 1968, but the one I posted above had no date; I'm guessing it's in the range of 1978-82.

cpzilliacus

Unisign in the City of Fairfax, Virginia:

Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Roadsguy

Are "No turn on (dot)" signs common in Virginia? I've never seen one before outside that picture.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Roadsguy on January 14, 2013, 07:43:22 AM
Are "No turn on (dot)" signs common in Virginia? I've never seen one before outside that picture.

Not especially.  I think the only place I have seen them is within cities.  Not sure I have ever seen one on a VDOT-maintained road.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

1995hoo

Quote from: cpzilliacus on January 14, 2013, 09:36:51 AM
Quote from: Roadsguy on January 14, 2013, 07:43:22 AM

Not especially.  I think the only place I have seen them is within cities.  Not sure I have ever seen one on a VDOT-maintained road.

I think I passed one this morning on Nutley Street in Fairfax County, but I was more interested in the poor grammar on the sign underneath it that said "When Pedestrian Are Present." I'm going to have to go back out that way later this week and I'll try to get a picture then to confirm. The Street View image of that intersection is quite outdated.

There are a good number of "red dot"—style signs in Fairfax City, though.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

PHLBOS

Quote from: cpzilliacus on January 13, 2013, 11:19:28 PM
Unisign in the City of Fairfax, Virginia:

That unisign reminds me of the ones for US 1 & MA 3 that used to exist along Storrow Drive and the Central Artery in Boston circa the early-to-mid 1970s.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

agentsteel53

Quote from: PHLBOS on January 14, 2013, 11:59:52 AM
That unisign reminds me of the ones for US 1 & MA 3 that used to exist along Storrow Drive and the Central Artery in Boston circa the early-to-mid 1970s.

with white backgrounds like that?  were they MDC products?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

PHLBOS

Quote from: agentsteel53 on January 14, 2013, 12:01:07 PM
Quote from: PHLBOS on January 14, 2013, 11:59:52 AM

with white backgrounds like that?  were they MDC products?
They could've been; although there were a few of them mounted along the Central Artery and its Storrow Drive access ramps as well.  For obvious reasons, the ones south of Storrow Drive were removed when the DPW relocated US 1 from the Sunmer/Callahan Tunnels to the Tobin Bridge circa 1975.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Ian

My favorite NYSDOT sign...

The "top hat" sign along I-87 northbound near Albany. New York has several of them scattered throughout the state.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

The High Plains Traveler

Quote from: ctsignguy on January 05, 2013, 02:13:46 PM

So, Ms Central, how would you judge this sign?  Definitely not standard....

Looks like a standard California curve warning sign from the 1960s, at least from the curve directions indicated by the arrow.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.