News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

The Best of Road Signs

Started by Mergingtraffic, September 21, 2010, 06:36:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

There used to be at least one on US 52 in Ohio between Aberdeen and Portsmouth. Saw it once and didn't have a camera. Next time I was along that route, it was gone.

I've also seen a few in Indiana, for US 6, US 35 and US 421.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Mapmikey

Quote from: jake on August 01, 2014, 06:47:27 PM
Within the same category of cut-outs, does anyone know of cut-out BGSs outside of Virginia and New York? I.e. the edges of the signs are rounded off? I put that in the same category as cut-out shields because both are generally not done because they cost more, however, they both typically look miles better when the treatment is applied.

North Carolina used to do this...here are a couple still that way in Asheville next to a newer squared one:
http://goo.gl/maps/DJcjq

Mapmikey

Ian

Within the same category of cut-outs, does anyone know of cut-out BGSs outside of Virginia and New York? I.e. the edges of the signs are rounded off? I put that in the same category as cut-out shields because both are generally not done because they cost more, however, they both typically look miles better when the treatment is applied.

The New Jersey Turnpike still does, and Delaware and Washington, D.C. used to do it.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Kniwt

Old US 101 south at Old CA 156, San Juan Bautista, taken today:
(Although this stopped being 101 long before this sign was erected)

cu2010

Quote from: Ian on August 02, 2014, 09:48:15 PM

The New Jersey Turnpike still does, and Delaware and Washington, D.C. used to do it.

Florida still does as well, though a few super-old extruded panel signs with the squared off edges remain. I-10 on the panhandle, for example, has several.
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

jakeroot

Excellent links guys, thank you.

Quote from: cu2010 on August 03, 2014, 08:09:17 AM
Florida still does as well, though a few super-old extruded panel signs with the squared off edges remain. I-10 on the panhandle, for example, has several.

While looking up the I-95 North sign south of Miami, where the BGS indicates it begins (sort of) as it splits from the Dixie Highway, I noticed that the sign is rounded.

mrsman

Quote from: Kniwt on August 03, 2014, 12:21:24 AM

Signs like this used to be all over California at major intersections, even in cities. 

national highway 1

"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

thenetwork

From Delta, County, Colorado...

hotdogPi

Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

agentsteel53

Quote from: Ian on August 02, 2014, 09:48:15 PM

Missouri did it until the 80s or so.  there probably are a few survivors still; but I haven't spotted any since 2007.

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

agentsteel53

Quote from: Kniwt on August 03, 2014, 12:21:24 AM

sign is from 1957.  Z code on the back.  good to see it still survives!

San Juan Bautista also has a cateyed stop sign, and a 1957 tan historic marker.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Brandon

Quote from: 1 on August 22, 2014, 10:17:45 AM
Quote from: thenetwork on August 22, 2014, 09:17:25 AM

Question mark box.

It's due to https, I think.  The img tags look fine.

Strike that, I think it's where the image is being called from.  The Network, try an image hosting site like Photobucket or Flickr.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

CNGL-Leudimin

Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

PHLBOS

GPS does NOT equal GOD

empirestate

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on August 22, 2014, 11:33:33 AM
Quote from: 1 on August 22, 2014, 10:17:45 AM
Question mark box.

I rather see nothing.

I got a picture of a photo torn in two. (Or if you prefer, a daguerreotype rent in twain.)

roadman

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 01, 2014, 03:17:18 PM
Quote from: 1 on August 01, 2014, 03:08:32 PM
US 3 has several cutouts in Massachusetts.

Sure, but how recent are they? There are a fair number of cutouts to be found in Virginia if you know where to look, but most of them are of older vintage (yet still serving perfectly well).
The ground-mounted cutout shields along US 3 between Burlington and Tyngsborough were put in as part of the last sign update done in 1998.  It was originally believed that cutout shields were specified to accommodate wind loading restrictions on the telescopic posts used.  However, subsequent review of this issue has revealed that the cutouts were provided due to a very literal interpertation of the project sign summary sheets (which showed cutouts instead of the standard MUTCD M1-4 sign detail) by the contractor.

With a few exceptions, all these cutout shields were either retained or reset during the subsequent US 3 widening project.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

thenetwork

For some reason, the link disappeared.  Let's try this again:

And to make up for the lost link, one of the last button copy signs in Utah, recently taken down over the last several years at I-70 Exit 193:

Mergingtraffic

I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

PColumbus73

First time I've seen street names for checkout lines.

yakra

Trader Joe's in Portland has local street names for checkout lines. Congress St, Forest Ave, State St, Marginal Way, Franklin Arterial...
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

kkt

Trader Joe's in Bellingham and Seattle too.  A quick and easy way to appear to have a local connection.

jakeroot

Quote from: kkt on August 28, 2014, 01:14:59 AM
Trader Joe's in Bellingham and Seattle too.  A quick and easy way to appear to have a local connection.

An independent grocery store called "Summit Trading" near Puyallup had each aisle named after a local street. Sadly, the store closed last Autumn, but not before I snapped off a few photos, including one of the named aisles. Others not in this photo include "Vickery", "Pioneer", and "Fruitland". The blurry signs say "Main St", "River Rd" and "Meridian":

1995hoo

Quote from: kkt on August 28, 2014, 01:14:59 AM

The one closest to us has a fake I-95/I-495 BGS (might be I-395 instead, I don't shop there very often to have noticed the fine details) over one of the checkouts due to its location near the Springfield Interchange, along with the street signs over the other checkouts.

(By "fake" I mean it's hand-painted, doesn't remotely resemble a real BGS, although the intent is clear. Obviously all the signs are " fake" in the literal sense.)
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

roadman

In East Lynn (MA), there was a local supermarket on Eastern Avenue called Mayflower Market (it's now a CVS).  The aisles in the store were named after nearby local streets like Eastern Ave, Western Ave, Alden St, etc..
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.