News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

The Best of Road Signs

Started by Mergingtraffic, September 21, 2010, 06:36:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete from Boston

Quote from: roadman on August 28, 2014, 03:26:45 PM
In East Lynn (MA), there was a local supermarket on Eastern Avenue called Mayflower Market (it's now a CVS).  The aisles in the store were named after nearby local streets like Eastern Ave, Western Ave, Alden St, etc..

One of the chains around here that's trying to project a quirky, neighborhoody image — I can't remember if it's Star Market or Whole Foods — has been labeling their aisles this way of late.

PHLBOS

Quote from: Pete from Boston on August 28, 2014, 03:44:16 PM

Quote from: roadman on August 28, 2014, 03:26:45 PM
In East Lynn (MA), there was a local supermarket on Eastern Avenue called Mayflower Market (it's now a CVS).  The aisles in the store were named after nearby local streets like Eastern Ave, Western Ave, Alden St, etc..

One of the chains around here that's trying to project a quirky, neighborhoody image – I can't remember if it's Star Market or Whole Foods – has been labeling their aisles this way of late.
One parking lot near the Philadelphia International Airport (PHL) uses street names (Chestnut, Market, Locust, etc.) for its various aisles and has done so for years.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

1995hoo

No street names, but I recall a grocery store chain in Quebec during the 1980s (the chain's name escapes me after this many years) having one-way signs on each of the aisles. Can't say I've ever seen that anywhere else. I bring it up in case someone else recalls it and knows which chain it was.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jakeroot

Most people would disagree with me, but I love the font used on this WSDOT sign near Arlington, Washington, close to where the Oso Landslip occurred:

"JCT" appears to be standard FHWA but everything else appears to be some other font I have never seen before.

sammi

Quote from: jake on August 29, 2014, 01:57:34 AM

Looks similar to an old version of DIN 1451 Mittelschrift.

(1000 posts!)

Thing 342

Saw a bunch of button-copy signs on my most recent trip to Atlanta (almost all along Peachtree Industrial Blvd), but only one picture was even remotely usable:

Mergingtraffic

One of only 2 CONN shields in the state.
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

Mergingtraffic

and this beauty in NJ:  must be almost 50 years old

I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

Zeffy

Holy crap, non reflective button copy US 46 shield with Series EM(?) reflectors. That's a nice find off the Turnpike, where it seems all the old BGS seem to be lurking.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

vtk

That 46 is DM.  The rest of the letters might be DM also, but I'm less sure of that.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Zeffy

Quote from: vtk on August 29, 2014, 11:44:39 PM
That 46 is DM.  The rest of the letters might be DM also, but I'm less sure of that.

Oops, I meant to say DM, but I guess I hit the E key out of impulse (since I usually refer to EM...) and didn't notice it until now. I'm actually wondering what font the main legend uses on that sign, since it actually does look like DM, which only would make me love it more if that were true.

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

adventurernumber1

Quote from: Thing 342 on August 29, 2014, 08:59:34 AM
Saw a bunch of button-copy signs on my most recent trip to Atlanta (almost all along Peachtree Industrial Blvd), but only one picture was even remotely usable:

Wow. I've been a lot of places in Atlanta but I've never gotten the chance to try out GA SR 141. Never new about those button copy signs. That's pretty cool!  :)
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

jakeroot

Quote from: sammi on August 29, 2014, 02:21:28 AM
Quote from: jake on August 29, 2014, 01:57:34 AM

Looks similar to an old version of DIN 1451 Mittelschrift.

That's what I thought when I first saw it. I made my whole family pull over and wait while I took a photo because I was so stunned by it.

Thing 342

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on August 30, 2014, 12:04:57 AM
Quote from: Thing 342 on August 29, 2014, 08:59:34 AM

Wow. I've been a lot of places in Atlanta but I've never gotten the chance to try out GA SR 141. Never new about those button copy signs. That's pretty cool!  :)
Most can be found on the frontage roads, though there might be one lying about on the main road.

Kniwt

Old US 101, Fortuna CA, taken today:

formulanone

Still here, even after an adjacent re-paving.

CrystalWalrein

A Dead End sign at the end of Grays Street in Glenolden, PA. There used to be a relieved Stop sign at the other end of this street (with the legend 'Cross Road' from what I remember).

I've always wondered why Pennsylvania has an aversion to Dead End signs (a No Outlet sign is posted at the start of this block).

jakeroot

Quote from: CrystalWalrein on September 12, 2014, 10:48:08 PM

Your links aren't working. I see some quotation marks that shouldn't be there.

CrystalWalrein

Fixed. I could have sworn you needed quotation marks at one time....

freebrickproductions

Some better photos of Huntsville, AL's last button-copy signs:
Buttoncopy Signs by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

Old US 231 shield in northern Madison County, AL:
Old US 231 Shield by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

national highway 1

"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

WillWeaverRVA

A very old SR 682 shield in very good condition at the US 220/VA 57A/SR 682 interchange in Bassett, VA:

Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Zeffy

^ Is that the custom FHWA font? I ask because that 6 is more curved on the top than the normal FHWA Series C one.

PHLBOS

Quote from: Zeffy on October 02, 2014, 01:03:25 PM
^ Is that the custom FHWA font? I ask because that 6 is more curved on the top than the normal FHWA Series C one.
All the 682 numerals appear to be of a custom font.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: PHLBOS on October 02, 2014, 03:26:02 PM
Quote from: Zeffy on October 02, 2014, 01:03:25 PM
All the 682 numerals appear to be of a custom font.
Yeah, it appears to be a custom font. Virginia has some old route shields and signs scattered around that use non-FHWA fonts.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.