News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

The Best of Road Signs

Started by Mergingtraffic, September 21, 2010, 06:36:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yakra

"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

Roadrunner75

Quote from: cjk374 on February 12, 2015, 05:55:57 AM
Am I gonna be the only one who remembers the US 1 electric trucking set from Tyco?

I had one growing up, and I had a blast playing with it.  I wish I had known that they made the truck/train combo set back then.
I had a US1 trucking set - I think maybe two of them - with an overpass and the gravel hopper where you could dump the load on top and then drive around to pick it up.  Pieces of it still pop up around the house as my son digs through my old toys.  Somewhere around here I've seen the bulldozer recently as well as one of the BGS gantries.  I remember seeing the train / truck combo in a catalog or in the store at the time (probably at Lionel Kiddie City - anyone remember that?) and really wanting it.  Slot car sets were popular then, but really hard to find now - at least at a decent price.

AsphaltPlanet

AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

SignGeek101

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on February 15, 2015, 07:43:28 PM
Old style Ontario font:

When did Ontario stop using its font? There are some route markers around with the old font, but not many.

dcbjms

Quote from: SignGeek101 on February 15, 2015, 11:19:20 PM
Old style Ontario font:

When did Ontario stop using its font? There are some route markers around with the old font, but not many.

And has anyone converted it into a TTF/OTF file?  It sure looks like an interesting font.

AsphaltPlanet

Ontario adopted a more typical version of FHWA font during the early 1990s.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

dcbjms

I don't know if it's been posted yet, but in a corner of downtown Providence is one of my favorite signs:

http://goo.gl/maps/LR8zC

How very, well, interesting of Providence to put up that one-way sign (even then, I don't think this combination exists anywhere else in North America - I know Mexico has it, but with a red circle instead of a green one).  Although the photo on GSV was taken in May 2011, I can confirm that that sign is still there.

riiga

Quote from: dcbjms on February 16, 2015, 09:49:08 AM
I don't know if it's been posted yet, but in a corner of downtown Providence is one of my favorite signs:

http://goo.gl/maps/LR8zC

How very, well, interesting of Providence to put up that one-way sign (even then, I don't think this combination exists anywhere else in North America - I know Mexico has it, but with a red circle instead of a green one).  Although the photo on GSV was taken in May 2011, I can confirm that that sign is still there.

Cool sign, I've been experimenting with that type of approach to mandatory signs, extending it to include more than just oneway roads too. Examples:

dcbjms

I noticed.  The problem is that a lot of the time I try viewing them, most of them end up as dead links.  Other comments I'd probably put in your thread, because there's a few things I noticed.

riiga

Quote from: dcbjms on February 16, 2015, 12:17:29 PM
I noticed.  The problem is that a lot of the time I try viewing them, most of them end up as dead links.  Other comments I'd probably put in your thread, because there's a few things I noticed.

They should be fixed, I moved all images to my Dropbox a few weeks ago since majhost.com had been down for over a month.

SignGeek101

Quote from: dcbjms on February 16, 2015, 12:05:55 AM
Old style Ontario font:

And has anyone converted it into a TTF/OTF file?  It sure looks like an interesting font.

I don't know the name, but it's like the current highway gothic, only without the"tail" on the "1" and the three is different. There are a few more differences, but they are similar.

formulanone

Finally made a side trip to Alford.

Old US 231 Sign by formulanone, on Flickr

freebrickproductions

It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

formulanone

Quote from: freebrickproductions on March 04, 2015, 11:47:46 AM
This is also from the 1960s from what I've heard:
http://www.instantstreetview.com/@34.603843,-86.980522,-240.77h,-0.39p,3z

I'm in Decatur every few weeks, and I usually make sure to stop by that one...

Mr. Matté

Nice re-creation NJDOT (or NJTA put on the former's ROW)!

(click for full size)

PHLBOS

Quote from: Mr. Matté on March 08, 2015, 02:54:40 PM

That arrow on the NJ 133 West BGS needs some serious help.  It's too long & skinny.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Billy F 1988

Quote from: PHLBOS on March 09, 2015, 01:28:36 PM
Quote from: Mr. Matté on March 08, 2015, 02:54:40 PM

That arrow on the NJ 133 West BGS needs some serious help.  It's too long & skinny.

Damn! Did this arrow on the NJ 133 sign suffer arrow-anorexia?
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

PHLBOS

Quote from: Billy F 1988 on March 11, 2015, 02:45:12 AMDamn! Did this arrow on the NJ 133 sign suffer arrow-anorexia?
I thought such was called arrow-exia.  :sombrero:
GPS does NOT equal GOD

AsphaltPlanet

roadman

Quote from: PurdueBill on February 12, 2015, 07:51:27 PM
Gosh, had the Electric Trucking set and remember even at that age thinking "how could they mess up the US 1 shield so bad?"  Of course, we lived very close to actual US 1.
I had my brother's old 1960s Aurora Model Motoring slot cars, that I eventually set up as a turnpike system as part of my first serious "permanent" HO model railroad (I used my Lensey "Build a Road" sets for the secondary streets).  When US 1 Electric Trucking came out, my friend got one of the sets as a gift.  Upon seeing it, I regarded the overall quality as "more typical Tyco garbage", but was fairly impressed with the castings for the overhead sign supports.  At some point shortly thereafter, I was in KayBee Toys and nearly fainted when I discovered that Tyco sold the overhead signs separately (six to a package).  Bought two packages (they were on closeout), proceeded to paint the castings in silver, and made my own signs to replace the awful decals.

Fun times.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

SignGeek101

Although this is erroneous now, it wasn't when it was installed many years ago. Rounded edges (not standard now) and no bilingualism tell of old standards.

Hwy 2 in this area was turned over to the county on 1 January 1998. It should have a trapezoidal shield, not a King's Hwy crown. This old sign still remains as a relic of the past.

Zeffy

These look like non-reflective button copy. At the end of the Palisades Parkway in Highland Falls, New York.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.319894,-73.991043,3a,43.8y,80.55h,124.07t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sjEQARtJDsqhjs8Rdml8iuA!2e0

Also, anyone know what the white-out is covering on the rightmost sign?
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

TEG24601

They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

1995hoo

Quote from: TEG24601 on March 22, 2015, 05:03:41 PM
Quote from: NE2 on March 21, 2015, 01:13:53 PM
Quote from: Zeffy on March 21, 2015, 01:03:14 PM
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.319894,-73.991043,3a,43.8y,80.55h,124.07t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sjEQARtJDsqhjs8Rdml8iuA!2e0

Also, anyone know what the white-out is covering on the rightmost sign?

from http://www.alpsroads.net/roads/ny/us_202/

So I take it there is no longer a toll on the bridge?

According to the NYSBA website, it's still tolled. Notice also the E-ZPass signs in the background of the image Zeffy linked. Couldn't tell you why they whited it out on the one sign.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.