News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

The Best of Road Signs

Started by Mergingtraffic, September 21, 2010, 06:36:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thenetwork

Came across this one on GSV:
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.580463,-83.664667,3a,27.3y,348.72h,96.95t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sv0cfc_urtMsgefJIXx7JfQ!2e0

This particular assembly goes back to at least the early 70s prior to the completion of I-475. Could even be pushing 50 if it hasn't been replaced yet.  There are/were others along US-20/Conant Street between the Turnpike and the Maumee River from the same era.

roadman

Quote from: SidS1045 on April 05, 2015, 03:50:08 PM
Quote from: iBallasticwolf2 on April 03, 2015, 01:01:14 PM
Yes I was referring to civil defense, Conelrad was the first of the civil defence broadcasting services

It was *the* first emergency broadcasting service, willed into existence by President Eisenhower.  In the then-new nuclear age (the "Cold War"), Ike realized he would need a way to address the entire nation on short notice if bombers carrying nuclear warheads were detected on approach to US territory.  Conelrad mandated that, in a national emergency, most radio stations (AM's only, FM's were not a consideration back then) would go off the air, and those few which remained on the air would change frequency to either 640 or 1240 kHz.  The theory was that this would confuse the direction finding capabilities of Soviet bombers.  Most AM radios produced in the 1950's and 1960's had two small triangles on the tuning dial, at 640 and 1240, so the listener could switch to a Conelrad station on a moment's notice.

The two logos were different.  The Conelrad logo incorporated the Civil Defense logo, with a banner across it containing the Conelrad name.
As a kid in the late 1960s, I do recall AM radios with the 'emergency frequency' triangles.  I knew they had to do with Civil Defense from reading a Civil Defense pamphlet my father had gotten from the "free government stuff" clearinghouse he'd get catalogs for, but I didn't realize the broadcast service was called Conelrad until the answer to my previous post above.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Ian

Saw that these were still alive in Saint John, NB this past weekend...

UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

SignGeek101

Quote from: Ian on April 13, 2015, 09:55:07 PM
Saw that these were still alive in Saint John, NB this past weekend...

I feel like those signs got hit by a truck or something because of the way they were bent. Nice find. Really wished NB went back to FHWA digits on signs.. sigh

machias

Dancing arrows done the right way! I-90/I-94 WB split near O'Hare.

Stratuscaster

Dancing arrows done correctly, but perhaps not lower-case y's.

(Thought it might be a GSV image distortion, but I have my doubts.)

Kacie Jane

Also bugs me that WEST and Kennedy are aligned together on the I-90 panel, but WEST and Edens are not.

Stratuscaster

I could kvetch about such details in IDOT and ISHTA signage for days. ;)

machias

I still think they look better than anything NYSDOT or the NYSTA does these days.

national highway 1

"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

Mergingtraffic

Some lower Manhattan, NYC button copy.  NYC once known for it's plethora of non-reflective button copy, now has only one highway left that is mostly that...the FDR Drive and even here it's being replaced.

Enjoy this now before it's gone.

I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

Brandon

U. Wis campus, Madison, Wisconsin:

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Mergingtraffic

I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

relaxok

Quote from: upstatenyroads on April 19, 2015, 11:22:43 AM
Dancing arrows done the right way! I-90/I-94 WB split near O'Hare.

Okay, am I an idiot?  Why are all the lowercase e's blurry in that photo but the other letters aren't?

(you don't really need to answer the first question)

thenetwork

It's the GSV software that is designed to blur anything that looks like a human face.

And we all know as roadgeeks that certain letters and numbers on signage are in fact real people posing as text to spy on drivers!!!

Zeffy

Judging by the amount of fading, and the very old-looking style, I have no choice but to put this beauty here:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@40.013537,-75.044105,3a,15y,150.19h,103.65t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s9_zUtnbRhlk28LQex3Dokg!2e0

Anyone want to take a guess just how old that sign is? I'm betting ~45 years.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

freebrickproductions

Quote from: Zeffy on May 10, 2015, 12:07:27 AM
Judging by the amount of fading, and the very old-looking style, I have no choice but to put this beauty here:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@40.013537,-75.044105,3a,15y,150.19h,103.65t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s9_zUtnbRhlk28LQex3Dokg!2e0

Anyone want to take a guess just how old that sign is? I'm betting ~45 years.
The beacons on the sign itself are 12 inch Crouse-hinds Art-deco sections and the lights underneath it are 8 inch Crouse-hinds Type-M sections, so I'd say late 1950s-early 1960s as to when that was put up.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

yakra

I think GMSV is looking less for human faces and more for license plate numbers. There are a lot of false positives on highway shields, and cardinal direction banners.
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

signalman

Quote from: yakra on May 18, 2015, 12:27:12 AM
I think GMSV is looking less for human faces and more for license plate numbers. There are a lot of false positives on highway shields, and cardinal direction banners.
Which is silly.  I have been collecting license plates for over 20 years and have photographed many neat and noteworthy plates over the years.  Occasionally I'll be questioned or even cussed out by someone and I remind them that plates don't contain sensitive information about the registrant.  If they contained sensitive information, they wouldn't be on display for millions of other people.  It's also worth noting that plates don't belong to the registrant; they are in fact property of the issuing state.

jakeroot

Quote from: signalman on May 18, 2015, 03:39:26 AM
Quote from: yakra on May 18, 2015, 12:27:12 AM

Which is silly.  I have been collecting license plates for over 20 years and have photographed many neat and noteworthy plates over the years.  Occasionally I'll be questioned or even cussed out by someone and I remind them that plates don't contain sensitive information about the registrant.  If they contained sensitive information, they wouldn't be on display for millions of other people.  It's also worth noting that plates don't belong to the registrant; they are in fact property of the issuing state.

We seem to be the only country that is overly sensitive to license plates. Canada doesn't even care -- watch any newscast on CBC, CTV, Global, etc; none of the license plates are blurred. That's not to say all license plates on American TV are blurred, but the vast majority seem to be.

thefraze_1020

Alright, this is how it's gonna be!

vtk

Quote from: thefraze_1020 on May 18, 2015, 03:37:47 PM
How about ODOT's way of fitting a sign under the girders of the Fremont Bridge in Portland?

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.541219,-122.678988,3a,75y,55.08h,96.59t/data=!3m5!1e1!3m3!1s8o3PLT2akYum1lRyYL-bhw!2e0!5s20140601T000000!6m1!1e1?hl=en

That's cute.  But I wonder why they went to the trouble, instead of just centering the thing between the girders...
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: vtk on May 18, 2015, 06:47:00 PM
Quote from: thefraze_1020 on May 18, 2015, 03:37:47 PM
How about ODOT's way of fitting a sign under the girders of the Fremont Bridge in Portland?

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.541219,-122.678988,3a,75y,55.08h,96.59t/data=!3m5!1e1!3m3!1s8o3PLT2akYum1lRyYL-bhw!2e0!5s20140601T000000!6m1!1e1?hl=en

That's cute.  But I wonder why they went to the trouble, instead of just centering the thing between the girders...
Visibility issues?
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Jim

I've always liked this one, on the Mass Pike westbound near Chicopee.  Taken 4/18/15.

Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

Zeffy

Quote from: Jim on May 21, 2015, 11:28:17 PM
I've always liked this one, on the Mass Pike westbound near Chicopee.  Taken 4/18/15.

Hartford Ct. could (very unlikely but still a chance to be) possibly be misinterpreted as Hartford Court and not Hartford, Connecticut. State abbreviations should always be capitalized.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.