News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

The Best of Road Signs

Started by Mergingtraffic, September 21, 2010, 06:36:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PHLBOS

Quote from: Zeffy on May 21, 2015, 11:38:58 PM
Quote from: Jim on May 21, 2015, 11:28:17 PM
I've always liked this one, on the Mass Pike westbound near Chicopee.  Taken 4/18/15.

Hartford Ct. could (very unlikely but still a chance to be) possibly be misinterpreted as Hartford Court and not Hartford, Connecticut. State abbreviations should always be capitalized.
I believe the 2-letter state abbreviations being all CAPs on signs requirement (if such exists) came about years after that BGS was fabricated.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

spooky

Also the chances of someone confusing that for Hartford Court isn't zero, but it's pretty damn close.

bassoon1986

Quote from: PHLBOS on May 22, 2015, 08:51:24 AM
Quote from: Zeffy on May 21, 2015, 11:38:58 PM
I've always liked this one, on the Mass Pike westbound near Chicopee.  Taken 4/18/15.

Hartford Ct. could (very unlikely but still a chance to be) possibly be misinterpreted as Hartford Court and not Hartford, Connecticut. State abbreviations should always be capitalized.
I believe the 2-letter state abbreviations being all CAPs on signs requirement (if such exists) came about years after that BGS was fabricated.

Well if that's the case, there's been a "Carthage, Tex" on I-20's last westbound exit in Louisiana for a while. It's survived a recent sign replacement, too.

TrevorB

In the Memphis area, since there is a Jackson, Tennessee and Jackson, Mississippi within close distance, the state abbreviation is necessary. In Mississippi itself, I-55 southbound control city signage simply reads "Jackson". Tennessee writes it as "Jackson Miss", and Arkansas puts it as "Jackson Ms". If it were up to me, it would be "Jackson, MS"...but we can't always get what we want.

kurumi

That 33 looks like it should have a 136 next to it (see image 23 on the AARoads I-95 CT Norwalk page). Classic Connecticut "Phase III" signage that I think has been replaced on I-95 with newer black-on-white route markers. Never seen it in MA before.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Mergingtraffic

Here's some goodies that are still there in NJ.
Anybody want to guess the date?  Do you agree with the bridge as a control point?

and
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

freebrickproductions

A couple of goodies from Decatur, AL.
First off, here we have an old (erroneous) US 72 shield on Moulton Street near US 31:
Old US 72 Shield by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
Old US 72 Shield by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

Next, we have an old Advance Warning sign on McEntire Lane, just south of the crossing:
Old Advanced Warning Sign by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
Old Advanced Warning Sign by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
http://www.rxrsignals.net/Alabama/Decatur/McEntire/
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Scott5114

Quote from: TrevorB on May 30, 2015, 12:14:10 AM
In the Memphis area, since there is a Jackson, Tennessee and Jackson, Mississippi within close distance, the state abbreviation is necessary. In Mississippi itself, I-55 southbound control city signage simply reads "Jackson". Tennessee writes it as "Jackson Miss", and Arkansas puts it as "Jackson Ms". If it were up to me, it would be "Jackson, MS"...but we can't always get what we want.

Missouri does this quite a bit, too, almost as if they think states get periodic table abbreviations. From Missouri, you can visit Fort Smith Ar and Tulsa Ok.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

national highway 1

"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

kkt

Quote from: national highway 1 on June 13, 2015, 04:29:19 AM

It's a good representative of that era in Caltrans signmaking... for both good and bad.  Like the freeway name.  Wish it had directions of travel, for people not from the area who aren't sure whether Santa Ana is north or south of L.A.

iBallasticwolf2

Only two things are infinite in this world, stupidity, and I-75 construction

jakeroot

Here's a positively ancient sign in Olympia, Washington with an I-5 shield covering up what I presume was US-99:

noelbotevera

Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

noelbotevera

Quote from: jakeroot on June 21, 2015, 12:25:02 AM
Here's a positively ancient sign in Olympia, Washington with an I-5 shield covering up what I presume was US-99:

Post style was out by the mid-late 60s - US 99 was being upgraded to I-5 in some spots by this time. This place was one of them. Was this near I-5 (entrance ramp, nearby surface street), because I do know a little bit about that area with roads, and I am very optimistic that is US 99 (if you were able to peek under the patch/remove the patch).
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

jakeroot

Quote from: noelbotevera on June 21, 2015, 12:38:37 AM
Post style was out by the mid-late 60s - US 99 was being upgraded to I-5 in some spots by this time. This place was one of them. Was this near I-5 (entrance ramp, nearby surface street), because I do know a little bit about that area with roads, and I am very optimistic that is US 99 (if you were able to peek under the patch/remove the patch).

Take a look for yourself; it's within about a mile of the 5. Not sure if the 99 was a freeway through Olympia at any point, however. If not, perhaps State Avenue was signed as 99 before the freeway was built.

thefraze_1020

Quote from: jakeroot on June 21, 2015, 12:59:01 AM
Quote from: noelbotevera on June 21, 2015, 12:38:37 AM

Take a look for yourself; it's within about a mile of the 5. Not sure if the 99 was a freeway through Olympia at any point, however. If not, perhaps State Avenue was signed as 99 before the freeway was built.

The Olympia Freeway was opened in the late 1958, and originally signed as US99. It wasn't signed as I-5 until the mid 1960's.

I have a picture from the July-August 1958 issue of "Washington Highways" that is relevant to this topic, but I can't figure out how to attach it (it is a jpeg on my computer).
Alright, this is how it's gonna be!

thefraze_1020

BTW Jakeroot, you should add that picture to our "old Washington signs" thread.
Alright, this is how it's gonna be!

SignGeek101

thenetwork

This trio of overheads, in Akron, OH, have been hanging since at least 1977.  I am willing to say that these signs have been up since 1975, when the nearby Rolling Acres Mall opened on Romig Road -- the last mall to be built in Akron:

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.060443,-81.580297,3a,75y,234.85h,93.82t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1spz3QCb8DJ-ZCAMX3jjnQjw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Also of note, these signs have outlasted Rolling Acres Mall, which pretty much died a slow, horrible death several years ago. Like the signs, the dead, abandoned mall still stands, though the signs are still in far better shape than the mall.

PurdueBill

Quote from: thenetwork on June 23, 2015, 12:54:21 AM
This trio of overheads, in Akron, OH, have been hanging since at least 1977.  I am willing to say that these signs have been up since 1975, when the nearby Rolling Acres Mall opened on Romig Road -- the last mall to be built in Akron:

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.060443,-81.580297,3a,75y,234.85h,93.82t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1spz3QCb8DJ-ZCAMX3jjnQjw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Also of note, these signs have outlasted Rolling Acres Mall, which pretty much died a slow, horrible death several years ago. Like the signs, the dead, abandoned mall still stands, though the signs are still in far better shape than the mall.

Bad news from just the last couple months.  They gone.  Replaced with Clearview, save for the 261 shield.

vtk

Quote from: PurdueBill on June 23, 2015, 10:41:15 AM

Bad news from just the last couple months.  They gone.  Replaced with Clearview, save for the 261 shield.

Do the new ones have rounded corners?
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

thenetwork

Quote from: PurdueBill on June 23, 2015, 10:41:15 AM

Oh well, nothing lives forever.  Those Romig Road signs were unusual as Akron tended to use CAPS on all of it's city-made signs over the decades.

I found another assembly that may or may not now be one of the oldest in Akron:  OH-93 @ Kenmore Blvd:

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.047769,-81.547759,3a,75y,197.51h,80.33t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sBAGpizC56qXyjYL_bLg3Fw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

The physical assembly is definitely as old as when this "bypass" over the railroad tracks was done in the 50s or 60s.  Not sure how old the signs are, or if those are new panels affixed over the old ones, but they do spell out OH-93 in text form, which was ODOT standard in the 50s and early-mid 60s for such signs.

freebrickproductions

Still tons of button-copy in the Birmingham, AL area, especially along I-20/I-59 between the I-65 interchange and Bessemer and along I-65 through the downtown area. Still got a few button-copy shields too!
Button-copy Signage by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

Some old street signs in Bessemer, AL:
Old Street Signs by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

Cats-eyed signage in Talladega, AL:
Court Street:
Cats-eyed Advance Warning Sign by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
Cats-eyed Advance Warning Sign by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

South Street:
Cats-eyed Crossbuck by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
Cats-eyed Crossbuck by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

Old street signs in Stevenson, AL:

What appears to be an embossed stop sign at the post office in Hollywood, AL:
Old Stop Sign by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

thenetwork

^^ I have always loved/preferred that shade of green on the BGS's.  Missouri used to use that shade a lot in the 60s & 70s as well as PA.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.