News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

The Best of Road Signs

Started by Mergingtraffic, September 21, 2010, 06:36:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NE2

Huh? What's best about the reassurance (not trailblazer)?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

kphoger

We've now reached the point in this forum at which a shield merely has to be designed correctly in order to qualify as the best of road signs.

Let's all post the 15.2 zillion other properly designed route shields.

Let's not.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

PHLBOS

Quote from: kphoger on March 27, 2013, 05:08:58 PM
We've now reached the point in this forum at which a shield merely has to be designed correctly in order to qualify as the best of road signs.

Let's all post the 15.2 zillion other properly designed route shields.

Let's not.
OK OK, I've removed my posts.

Happy now.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Ian

Came across this old sign along US 1A in Ellsworth, ME the other day.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

formulanone

I was amazed how much wooden signage still exists in Maine.

Ian

Quote from: formulanone on March 28, 2013, 02:32:14 PM
I was amazed how much wooden signage still exists in Maine.

Unfortunately, MaineDOT is currently in the process of replacing all of their old font and wooden highway signs. I was amazed at how many 2011/2012 installed signs I saw when traveling in the state last summer, when the year before there were hundreds of old ones still present.
Youtube l Flickr

agentsteel53

Quote from: PennDOTFan on March 28, 2013, 02:34:43 PM

Unfortunately, MaineDOT is currently in the process of replacing all of their old font and wooden highway signs. I was amazed at how many 2011/2012 installed signs I saw when traveling in the state last summer, when the year before there were hundreds of old ones still present.

I feel the same way about 2006 vs 2008, actually.  2006 there were dozens of old signs even on primary routes.  by 2008, you really had to dig on the backroads.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

yakra

Yeah. There used to be a nice 202/4 unisign of the same dimensions with the white-on-black JUNCTION banner on River Road in Windham. It got replaced maybe last summer. :( Never got a photo when I had the opportunity...
GMSV link
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

Ian

Quote from: yakra on March 28, 2013, 04:29:18 PM
Yeah. There used to be a nice 202/4 unisign of the same dimensions with the white-on-black JUNCTION banner on River Road in Windham. It got replaced maybe last summer. :( Never got a photo when I had the opportunity...
GMSV link

I didn't even know that one existed. I do know there is/was one on ME 4A in Buxton. Any idea if that one is still alive?
Youtube l Flickr

yakra

No idea. Haven't been out that way in quite some time.
Though as you mentioned, signs are getting replaced at a pretty swift pace in southern Maine, so I may not hold out too much hope...
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

Central Avenue

Quote from: PennDOTFan on March 28, 2013, 01:54:53 PM

The numbers being sequential is a nice touch.
Routewitches. These children of the moving road gather strength from travel . . . Rather than controlling the road, routewitches choose to work with it, borrowing its strength and using it to make bargains with entities both living and dead. -- Seanan McGuire, Sparrow Hill Road

national highway 1

Quote from: Central Avenue on March 29, 2013, 05:53:41 PM
Quote from: PennDOTFan on March 28, 2013, 01:54:53 PM

The numbers being sequential is a nice touch.
So is the custom font. ;-)
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

6a

Quote from: PurdueBill on March 07, 2013, 12:47:10 AM
Quote from: vtk on March 06, 2013, 11:09:06 PM
I was told at a young age that the overhead lights were used to avoid shining up at aircraft at night.  Columbus's overlit signs are all on the east side (near Port Columbus Int'l Airport).  There are plenty of other city lights to make that consideration moot, but it might have seemed like a good idea in the 60's and 70's.

It must be something to do with that, although I wondered why signs near the CLE and CAK airports weren't similarly designed, for example.  Maybe the signs lined up the right way so as to be problematic.  (Admittedly there are/were few lighted signs near CAK, but there were a ton near CLE, all underlit.  Most have been replaced in the last couple years, sadly.)

In addition, pretty much all of 270 south of E. Broad lines up almost exactly with the runways at Rickenbacker...or back in the day, Lockbourne AFB.

Takumi

I couldn't decide if this belongs in Best or Worst. The awkward moment when you discover a brand new cutout on April Fools Day. This is in Hopewell, obviously, and is a carbon copy of the cutout that used to stand here.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

agentsteel53

I like the large B numbers.  I do not like the mismatch between shield shape and black border.

jake@aaroads.com

Takumi

Yeah, I do like the size of the digits, but it was done with typical Hopewell sloppiness. For comparison, here is the old cutout (photo 2008).

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Roadgeek2500

Quote from: NE2 on December 20, 2013 - DRPA =Derpa

Takumi

Also from Hopewell, what appears to be an original I-95 shield.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: Takumi on April 01, 2013, 06:04:22 PM
Also from Hopewell, what appears to be an original I-95 shield.

This is definitely Best. The horrible mutant VA 36 cutout is, sadly enough, Worst.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Takumi

Here's a cutout (in downtown Richmond) that definitely belongs here.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

hbelkins

Taken today in Cincinnati. Accidentally getting lost in a less-than-desirable part of town can sometimes be a good thing.

Found a crapload of old US 42, 27 and 127 signs, as well as a few "OH 127" signs, along the truck route for US 27/127 as well.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: Takumi on April 10, 2013, 02:06:10 PM
Here's a cutout (in downtown Richmond) that definitely belongs here.

Interesting, I always thought that had been removed. I guess I just wasn't looking in the right place. Here's a photo of that cutout in 2007 (notably the oldest photo I have on Flickr - not chronologically, though):

No idea why the chicken wire is there.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

yakra

To keep those gol-durn thievin' roadgeeks out?

agentsteel53

Quote from: hbelkins on April 10, 2013, 09:54:05 PM
Found a crapload of old US 42, 27 and 127 signs, as well as a few "OH 127" signs, along the truck route for US 27/127 as well.

did you find this cutout/18" pair?

jake@aaroads.com

agentsteel53

Quote from: PurdueBill on March 05, 2013, 09:29:56 PM
The slightly fatter US 40 shield immediately made me think of a similar US 68 shield on I-70 EB; the street view is terrible but as I recall, that one sign's shield is somewhat fat for its height, while all the others approaching both ways on I-70 are "normal" 1970-spec shields.  Steve's I-70 page has a better pic of the somewhat-fat shield on that particular sign.

excellent 40. 

the 68s on Steve's page all seem to be standard 36x36 '70 spec - but the very top row of photos has a '61 spec 45x36 US-23.

jake@aaroads.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.