News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

The Best of Road Signs

Started by Mergingtraffic, September 21, 2010, 06:36:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vtk

Last time I drove through there, I looked for the fat US 68.  Still there, as I recall.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

agentsteel53

Quote from: vtk on April 11, 2013, 06:41:45 PM
Last time I drove through there, I looked for the fat US 68.  Still there, as I recall.

can someone post a photo?  or did I just not see it on Steve's page?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

vtk

The fat 68 is on EB I-70, and the linked page features signsseen by westbound traffic.  Here's Steve's photo from his eastbound page:

I also noticed a blurry shot of the Madison C unty sign on the westbound page, and I'm wondering how long ago the photo was taken and how long the sign's been that way.  However long ago the o fell off, you'd think I'd have noticed quickly...
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Alps

Quote from: vtk on April 11, 2013, 09:23:28 PM
The fat 68 is on EB I-70, and the linked page features signsseen by westbound traffic.  Here's Steve's photo from his eastbound page:

I also noticed a blurry shot of the Madison C unty sign on the westbound page, and I'm wondering how long ago the photo was taken and how long the sign's been that way.  However long ago the o fell off, you'd think I'd have noticed quickly...
That photo's fairly recent. I cringed when I edited it, because I'd already seen the much clearer versions here, and if I knew while driving that I was seeing a C unty sign and not just a slightly damaged button copy sign, I'd have made a much bigger effort to capture it cleanly (probably with flash).

hbelkins

Quote from: agentsteel53 on April 11, 2013, 06:19:45 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on April 10, 2013, 09:54:05 PM
Found a crapload of old US 42, 27 and 127 signs, as well as a few "OH 127" signs, along the truck route for US 27/127 as well.

did you find this cutout/18" pair?

Will have to go through my pictures, but yes, I believe I did, but with the cutout replaced.

I'm pretty sure that's at the intersection of Colerain and Spring Grove.

http://goo.gl/maps/mHrDN

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

agentsteel53

Quote from: hbelkins on April 11, 2013, 11:06:26 PM

Will have to go through my pictures, but yes, I believe I did, but with the cutout replaced.

I'm pretty sure that's at the intersection of Colerain and Spring Grove.

http://goo.gl/maps/mHrDN

nope, it is Colerain at Elmore.

http://goo.gl/maps/Xfe0T

that 27 in your intersection is also a very old shield.  but Cincy does have precedent of replacing very old shields with other very old shields.  this state-named 71 was replaced by an old, neutered shield between the time I visited it (Dec 2006) and when Alex visited (sometime in 2008).

jake@aaroads.com

hbelkins

Quote from: agentsteel53 on April 12, 2013, 10:02:39 AM

I didn't see it, and I went through that intersection because I inadvertently took Elmore over to Beekman, which enabled me to discover the state-named I-75. But I may not have been traveling in the correct direction to see it.

Sounds like a job for Sherman Cahal, Tim Brown or someone else who's actually in Cincy to go check it out. Not sure when I will next be up there.

JMoses24

Quote from: hbelkins on April 12, 2013, 01:39:36 PM
Quote from: agentsteel53 on April 12, 2013, 10:02:39 AM

I didn't see it, and I went through that intersection because I inadvertently took Elmore over to Beekman, which enabled me to discover the state-named I-75. But I may not have been traveling in the correct direction to see it.

Sounds like a job for Sherman Cahal, Tim Brown or someone else who's actually in Cincy to go check it out. Not sure when I will next be up there.

I do live in the south suburbs. I'll see if I can swing up that way in the next couple days.

Roadgeek2500

hmmm... that sign looks a little big.....

Tada! a quick run through Photoshop reveals that it used to say 'TRUCK 55'. On US 202/322 South/East a few miles before the US 1 junction. BTW, the speed limit at that location is 45mph.

Also, all or most of the left lane must turn left and right lane must turn left were recycled in the exact same way. I checked and I saw  some others said TRUCK 55.
Quote from: NE2 on December 20, 2013 - DRPA =Derpa

Billy F 1988

I believe this is a prime candidate for Recycled Road Signs.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

Roadgeek2500

Quote from: Billy F 1988 on April 13, 2013, 05:22:02 PM
I believe this is a prime candidate for Recycled Road Signs.
Definitely
Quote from: NE2 on December 20, 2013 - DRPA =Derpa

1995hoo

Not a road sign, but I can't resist posting this because of the unintended implication–going without pants is OK short of that line? Seen tonight at Six Flags in Maryland at the Capitals' season-ticket holder party.

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Kacie Jane

Quote from: 1995hoo on April 14, 2013, 10:59:04 PM
going without pants is OK short of that line?

Sure is.  Especially if you're female.  (Although even if you're male, I wouldn't really classify swim trunks as pants.)

I've seen similar signs at other combination water/non-water theme parks.  But I do see what you're saying, this one is particularly humorous.

1995hoo

The other amusing thing is that it's in front of the building where the restrooms are (but they're not locker room style restrooms, at least not the men's room anyway).

BamaZeus

It also appears they have a ban on scissors in the park, which is probably a good thing.

JMoses24

Guess state name shields aren't as rare as we thought in Florence, Kentucky. Taken today along Houston Road between 18 and the ramps to and from I-75 southbound:

I haven't yet managed to slide up toward Elmore/Colerain yet to check on that US 27 cutout.

agentsteel53

Quote from: JMoses24 on April 15, 2013, 10:04:57 PM
I haven't yet managed to slide up toward Elmore/Colerain yet to check on that US 27 cutout.

there's also two US-50 cutouts in Mariemont.  mainline 50, plain as day. 

one east, one west, within a few hundred feet of one another.

jake@aaroads.com

hbelkins

I've seen tons of state-named I-71 and I-75 shields in the NKY area. Also have seen a few I-275 and I-471 examples as well.

WillWeaverRVA

Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

agentsteel53

what was under the DC 295 north?

jake@aaroads.com

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: agentsteel53 on April 16, 2013, 07:26:32 PM
what was under the DC 295 north?

It previously said Martin Luther King Avenue, but that connection no longer exists due to the construction of the I-695/I-295/DC 295 interchange.

I also forgot to post these two (top one is button-copy, the bottom one is just old):

Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

yakra

What's up with that stylized 'W' that looks sorta like the Walgreens' logo-feces?
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

Zeffy

Quote from: yakra on April 17, 2013, 09:35:25 PM
What's up with that stylized 'W' that looks sorta like the Walgreens' logo-feces?

That's the Washington Nationals' logo.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Zeffy on April 17, 2013, 09:42:50 PM

And before that, the Washington Senators (now the Texas Rangers) had a very similar logo.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

1995hoo

Quote from: cpzilliacus on April 18, 2013, 08:37:25 PM
Quote from: Zeffy on April 17, 2013, 09:42:50 PM

And before that, the Washington Senators (now the Texas Rangers) had a very similar logo.

Yup. It's more accurate to ask wht that drugstore is with the logo that looks like a baseball team's.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.