The Best of Road Signs

Started by Mergingtraffic, September 21, 2010, 06:36:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael

Deathtopumpkins posted a horrible BGS assembly from the Osceola Parkway in the Worst of Road Signs thread, and I decided to look around the area a bit.  I ended up finding this modern sign with a tapered arrow.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Alps

Quote from: Michael on April 20, 2013, 06:51:19 PM
Deathtopumpkins posted a horrible BGS assembly from the Osceola Parkway in the Worst of Road Signs thread, and I decided to look around the area a bit.  I ended up finding this modern sign with a tapered arrow.
That's a Type B arrow. It's not best of anything.

Michael

Darn it!  I thought it looked different for some reason.  I even looked at the MUTCD arrow types before I posted it.

Kacie Jane

It's more than the silly arrow though.  Why is "Resort Area" where it is to the side of the shield, when there's a line's worth of useless greenspace on the bottom of the sign where that text should be?

AsphaltPlanet

AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

amroad17

I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

Alps

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on April 27, 2013, 09:55:09 PM
Some may disagree:

Disagree? I'll do whatever that sign tells me. I can't turn away.

empirestate

Interestingly, I was just discussing the "N.Y. City" verbiage moments ago when we passed a similarly-worded sign on CT 15. I just think it's amusing that of the three words in "New York City", the only one not abbreviated is the one that isn't in the city's name. (Formally, that is. If you take "New York City" as being an informal name, it's still weird to me that only the one generic word, "city", isn't abbreviated.)

Scott5114

That's because there's not really a way to abbreviate "city" in English (In Spanish, "Ciudad" collapses to "Cd."), but there is for "New York".

You see the same thing with signs for "Okla. City".
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

empirestate

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 28, 2013, 12:48:24 AM
That's because there's not really a way to abbreviate "city" in English (In Spanish, "Ciudad" collapses to "Cd."), but there is for "New York".

You see the same thing with signs for "Okla. City".

Sure there is: "C". As in, "NYC" or "OKC".

Scott5114

A three-letter initialism on a road sign is incredibly lame, though.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

empirestate

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 28, 2013, 01:01:38 AM

Well that's true. I would have gone with just "New York", or spelled it all out, "New York City". Or heck, maybe I'd have just left it the way it is, since that's the version that led to interesting conversation!

vtk

Some may disagree:

Quite a few like that on I-270 on the northwest, south, and east sides of Columbus, except with standard black-on-white state and US route markers.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Brandon

Quote from: empirestate on April 28, 2013, 01:10:36 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on April 28, 2013, 01:01:38 AM

Well that's true. I would have gone with just "New York", or spelled it all out, "New York City". Or heck, maybe I'd have just left it the way it is, since that's the version that led to interesting conversation!

The problem with "New York" is that it can apply equally to the state as it can to the city.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

empirestate

Quote from: Brandon on April 28, 2013, 08:13:06 AM
The problem with "New York" is that it can apply equally to the state as it can to the city.

Which is fine, because it goes to the state as well. And besides, since few people realize there is much difference in territory between the state and the city, that sign should get everyone where they think they need to go, "city" or not. :evilgrin:

kkt

Quote from: empirestate on April 28, 2013, 09:12:44 AM
Quote from: Brandon on April 28, 2013, 08:13:06 AM

Which is fine, because it goes to the state as well. And besides, since few people realize there is much difference in territory between the state and the city, that sign should get everyone where they think they need to go, "city" or not. :evilgrin:

I-91 south goes to New York City and southern parts of N.Y.  People going to upstate N.Y. would be better off taking the exit for US-5 north, to I-84 west, to I-91 north, to I-90 west, wouldn't they?

I think the N.Y. City is a good choice for that sign.  It fits in the space available, and shouldn't confuse most people.

empirestate

Quote from: kkt on April 28, 2013, 12:09:07 PM
I-91 south goes to New York City and southern parts of N.Y.  People going to upstate N.Y. would be better off taking the exit for US-5 north, to I-84 west, to I-91 north, to I-90 west, wouldn't they?

They certainly would. To sign I-91 south for "New York" (meaning the state) wouldn't be wrong, but would be decidedly incomplete information.

Quote from: kkt on April 28, 2013, 12:09:07 PM
I think the N.Y. City is a good choice for that sign.  It fits in the space available, and shouldn't confuse most people.

Agreed, but its peculiarity strikes me nonetheless. There are plenty of perfectly appropriate things that still make me think; for example,a "No Trespassing" sign is exactly the right choice for what it's meant to convey, but at the same time it gets me thinking about when trespassing could ever be permitted, since it's by definition a prohibited activity.

Alps

yakra

"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

spmkam

What is interesting that the road signed, CT-15 (Wilbur Cross/Merritt Parkways) actually go to New York City and are signed as such.

empirestate

Quote from: spmkam on May 07, 2013, 10:36:53 PM
What is interesting that the road signed, CT-15 (Wilbur Cross/Merritt Parkways) actually go to New York City and are signed as such.

Unless you're a truck, that is.

spmkam

you shouldn't be on the Merritt in that case

Duke87

So I found this over the weekend:
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

empirestate

Quote from: spmkam on May 08, 2013, 09:18:07 PM
Quote from: empirestate on May 08, 2013, 09:52:34 AM
Quote from: spmkam on May 07, 2013, 10:36:53 PM

Unless you're a truck, that is.
you shouldn't be on the Merritt in that case

Correct. Which might explain why, as you've pointed out, "N.Y. City" bound traffic is directed to use I-91 rather than CT 15 on the signs in question.

(Actually, on this particular sign, it probably has more to do with the long stretch of surface highway that CT 15 traverses before reaching its parkway sections.)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.